Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Weight Lifting Shoes

Brick is offline Member

Weight Lifting Shoes

]I'm getting more into my powerlifting and I want to invest in a pair of lifting shoes. Currently I do my big lifts shoeless but want to get shoes!

I am not interested in converse style shoes, I have a pair and feel they don't give me enough support.

Anyone had any experience with Nike or any other lifting shoe? I am currently looking at ordering the R2

PillarofBalance is offline Junior Member
    The addidas adipower or powerlift trainer are good. But they're so damn expensive. I use chucks, but I've had a pair of rogue's in the past that were ok.

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    The addidas adipower or powerlift trainer are good. But they're so damn expensive. I use chucks, but I've had a pair of rogue's in the past that were ok.
    looking at maybe getting a pair off ebay for cheaper

reconjeep is offline New Member
    wrestling shoes is what I use

I wear wrestling shoes also.

Mrcivil is offline Associate Member
    I have a pair of Nike r2's had em for a month now and they are great very tight at first broke em in a bit now an they are fantastic

AClockWorkOrange is offline New Member
    A got a pair of rogue do wins (olympic lifting shoes) for squatting and some chucks for deadlifts. Olympic lifting shoes are kind of expensive, (got mine for 80 bucks) but I love them

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    I have a pair of high top converse I use. 45 bucks and they are prefect

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    I got a nike pair of shoes with a 1 1/4 inch ...sort of like the romeo's 2.. and they are great for squatting deep...IMO, they are better than the chuck's shoes!!!

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mario_ps2
    I got a nike pair of shoes with a 1 1/4 inch ...sort of like the romeo's 2.. and they are great for squatting deep...IMO, they are better than the chuck's shoes!!!
    That is the kind of shoe I am looking at using

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i use wrestling sneakers also
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Wrestling shoes aren't good for squatting. They are good for deadlifting. The type of shoes you use for the squat depends on bar placement. If you have more of a olympic style back squat, then olympic shoes are the best. If you have a more westside, traditional powerlifting squat, checks are optimal if you are low on funds. Otherwise there are some powerlifting shoes out there made by inzer and such that are great, but, IMO, way overpriced. Since my squat is more of a combination between the oly style and powerlifting style (wide stance with a relatively high bar placement), I squat in my adidas adistar weightlifting shoes.

HeadAndArm is offline Junior Member
    How much do weightlifting shoes typically run?

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadAndArm
    How much do weightlifting shoes typically run?
    $80-200+

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    ]I'm getting more into my powerlifting and I want to invest in a pair of lifting shoes. Currently I do my big lifts shoeless but want to get shoes!

I am not interested in converse style shoes, I have a pair and feel they don't give me enough support.

Anyone had any experience with Nike or any other lifting shoe? I am currently looking at ordering the R2
    i have some addidas adistars i dont use.. used them like 5 times.. what size are you they were over $200

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Look up Toronto weight lifting..I picked up my shoes for 100$, and swear by them for squats and deads.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Im a size 11

belva is offline Member
    I've been using puma for quite a while, they are really flat something like convers but whith a stronger support for the feet.

I just used my new pair of Adidas Power Lift Trainer shoes.
    Hit box squats and front squats.
    I absolutely loved them. The solid heel provides awesome stability.

(I've never lifted in oly style shoes before so I can't compare them to other brands. Always worked out in my wrestling shoes or just regular cross-trainers.)

I'll still deadlift in my wrestling shoes.

Just scooped some crains shoes for 129.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I think converse or "Chuck Taylors" are just crap to begin with--a 1920s basketball shoe or something. Bench press I like tennis shoes, something flexible bc I bench on toes. Squat I use Olympic/Weightlifting shoes. Deadlift I use socks, although wrestling shoes are favored by some guys.
    BG likes this.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    I wear a size 14” with a 5” E wide shoe. I have had shoes blow out on me when I do heavy weight. After the 4th time of blowing out my shoes I started doing all heavy lifts bare foot. New gym I started at wouldn’t allow bare foot or sock lifting. Guys told me to get wrestling shoes "they are the best for lifting". I bought a pair and shortly blew them out. I did lots of research and discovered that Chuck Taylor's are the best all-around shoes. They are cheap, efficient and last forever as lifting shoes.
    Sluggo likes this.

Sluggo is offline New Member
    Blog Entries
    What Tigerspawn said, I have used my buddies Adidas Powerlift Trainers, we had the same size, 11s. I was hesitant to buy them online because I have wide feet as well but they fit well. I did not like the forward tilt it made my squats to quad dominant, or at least mentally it felt that way.

Ill stick with my chucks

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    I've got a pair of merrell trail gloves. great pair of minimalist shoes. My heels are very responsive to the ground.

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    +1. Well said regarding different shoes for different styles of squatting. I've got Do-Wins, Chucks and Inzer Squat Shoes. I don't use the Do-wins unless I'm front squatting. I will typically train with Chucks, as they're tough to beat for all around useability and versatility. When I get heavier, I love the Inzers. They keep my feet completely stable and stationary, and give my ankles loads of support. They may have a very slight heel, but nothing significant to throw your groove off.

As far as the Merrells, I love them, too. I use the trail glove on bench days, as they provide excellent traction for my feet. I like the Mix-Masters when doing cardio, and like their zero-heel thongs for walking around the house.

Anyway, I hope that helps, and as my 2 cents is a little too little and a bit too late, with the other great responses, I hope it helps anyway.
    Last edited by yosimitesam; 06-18-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: meant to add more

Im using some Crains at Nationals tomorrow

Haven't tried Crains, but they look like great shoes. I've always been intrigued by the Safe USA/Titan shoes, but opted for the Inzers because like most Titan equipment, it takes about a million weeks to get them. Good stuff, though.

Let me know how you like the Crains. I still want an Oklahoma bar.

I like the crains. Really good support and base. Higher heel is good for me. No knee pain at all when I use wraps

update... I have 2 months with the Adidas Adi power 2 and they are great shoes.... They are quite narrow but very stable.. seems like you are stuck on the ground..... but I started to develop some pain under my knee cap... I guess they put more pressure on the knee..so I rarely use them anymore..I went back to using Nike free..or sometimes I will just squat barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mario_ps2 View Post
    update... I have 2 months with the Adidas Adi power 2 and they are great shoes.... They are quite narrow but very stable.. seems like you are stuck on the ground..... but I started to develop some pain under my knee cap... I guess they put more pressure on the knee..so I rarely use them anymore..I went back to using Nike free..or sometimes I will just squat barefoot.
    I was using Do Wins for my front squats and started experiencing the same problems, so I quit wearing them altogether. Heels are great for blasting your quads and loosening up the calves and hamstrings, but if you're not careful, they'll certainly do a number on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by yosimitesam View Post
    I was using Do Wins for my front squats and started experiencing the same problems, so I quit wearing them altogether. Heels are great for blasting your quads and loosening up the calves and hamstrings, but if you're not careful, they'll certainly do a number on your knees.
    Too bad I already spent 200 bucks on those darn shoes.... Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by mario_ps2 View Post
    Too bad I already spent 200 bucks on those darn shoes.... Oh well...
    I wouldn't consider them a total waste. You might want to just use them sparingly on specific exercises like front squats. I've read some guys will even deadlift with heels, but I'm not a big fan of that, unless you're recovering from a calf or hamstring injury, or are working on cleans.

I'm not sure how far you are going down when squatting with heels, but the ATG actually helps avoid knee pain by keeping the hams involved. My biggest problem with them was doing front squats after my main squat movement (back squats) and being already exhausted. From that point, my back and abs were already nearly "done" and with that comes forward lean. And, of course, with that forward lean comes crappier form, and so on and so on, where the knees are having to take the brunt of the load. So, from that angle, I would put more blame on myself for compromising my form more so than on the shoes. However, if my form is already shite, then the angled shoes certainly aren't helping.

Oh, and also, you may want to hold off on sending the Adidas' to the dumpster. I've also used them with some success on bench nights. With their anchored feel and angled approach, I can get more contact with the floor when I go to arch. In addition, the bottoms hold tight and won't slip, giving me great leg drive. Try that and see what you think.

And, of course, since I never seem to learn, Reebok is coming out with a crossfit shoe that actually looks like an improved version of the Chuck Taylor. Except for the stupid "crossfit" logo on the tongue, they shoe some serious promise for old school squatting and deadlifting. And, since I can't leave well enough alone, I'll probably get a pair when they come out early next year. I may have to magic marker the crossfit logo (jk) but my Chucks are about to fall apart anyway, so that will be my excuse.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply, but you'll find some use for those shoes. Those are good quality, so just use them sparingly and I'm sure you'll get some benefit without stressing your knees too much.

Quote Originally Posted by yosimitesam View Post
    I wouldn't consider them a total waste. You might want to just use them sparingly on specific exercises like front squats. I've read some guys will even deadlift with heels, but I'm not a big fan of that, unless you're recovering from a calf or hamstring injury, or are working on cleans.

I'm not sure how far you are going down when squatting with heels, but the ATG actually helps avoid knee pain by keeping the hams involved. My biggest problem with them was doing front squats after my main squat movement (back squats) and being already exhausted. From that point, my back and abs were already nearly "done" and with that comes forward lean. And, of course, with that forward lean comes crappier form, and so on and so on, where the knees are having to take the brunt of the load. So, from that angle, I would put more blame on myself for compromising my form more so than on the shoes. However, if my form is already shite, then the angled shoes certainly aren't helping.

Oh, and also, you may want to hold off on sending the Adidas' to the dumpster. I've also used them with some success on bench nights. With their anchored feel and angled approach, I can get more contact with the floor when I go to arch. In addition, the bottoms hold tight and won't slip, giving me great leg drive. Try that and see what you think.

And, of course, since I never seem to learn, Reebok is coming out with a crossfit shoe that actually looks like an improved version of the Chuck Taylor. Except for the stupid "crossfit" logo on the tongue, they shoe some serious promise for old school squatting and deadlifting. And, since I can't leave well enough alone, I'll probably get a pair when they come out early next year. I may have to magic marker the crossfit logo (jk) but my Chucks are about to fall apart anyway, so that will be my excuse.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply, but you'll find some use for those shoes. Those are good quality, so just use them sparingly and I'm sure you'll get some benefit without stressing your knees too much.
    I still use them for front squats and back squats... for example .. I might throw them in during my 4th and 5th set of squats when my knees are already warmed up. For front squats, I find it a lot harder to not lean forward because my back and core are already tired.

That's the issue I have with them. And I don't like doing them as my main squat exercise, which certainly doesn't help. At least you're getting some use out of them. And hey, they're likely to last you a long time now.

xjay1234 is offline Associate Member
    wear plimsolls!

vito93x is offline Banned
    most effective way to squat/deadlift is in socks/

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Like Mike said I use Nike free airs for bench, socks for deads and Reebok cross fits for squatting and leg pressing.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Nalga_Smasher is offline New Member
    Nike road running shoe has served me best. But soon, I will have to retire the old dogs.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    I like toe shoes (like vibram) for legs especially since it's just like doing it bare foot. Also Boxing shoes seem to work just fine.

Terax is offline Junior Member
    I have a pair of flat martial arts shoes that I use for dead lifting, they work really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information