Thread: Multiple belts?

Oldandbusted is offline New Member

Multiple belts?

I recently upgraded from my crappy old worn out belt to a new 4" Titan lever lock. It is so vastly superior squatting I'll never give it up, but it is so stiff I find it difficult to deadlift in it..... And by difficult I mean painful. Lol.

So my question for those that train in thick, non tapered belts is: do you have different belts for squat and dead, or is it just a matter of getting used to the big belt?

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've got my brown belt. Just playing I've never worn a belt myself but I`m not really a power lifter though I used to be able to squat 570.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Hard to get used to for deadlift. Using an inzer lever belt. Few more sessions you should be pro.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Hard to get used to for deadlift. Using an inzer lever belt. Few more sessions you should be pro.
    Cool. Thanks!

I noticed this evening that if I get my ass down and weight back on my heels (like I'm supposed to anyway) that it doesn't cut into me nearly as hard.

Almost went with the Inzer myself, but then I found a site that had the Titan on sale for $59. Couldn't let that pass.

Quote Originally Posted by redz
    I used to be able to squat 570.
    That's a pretty good lift for a guy that doesn't train.

Edit: Doesn't train for power! Didn't mean to insinuate that you don't train.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Edit: Doesn't train for power! Didn't mean to insinuate that you don't train.
    Lol I hear ya! I used to train legs a ton. Just once a week now, I probably could have broke that 570 when I did it but I started to become concerned with possible injury. People were telling me about spinal compression and other bs.

Quote Originally Posted by redz
    I started to become concerned with possible injury
    A reasonable concern. Max effort squat is not something you just walk in off the street and start doing. You should think about getting back into it tho..... the amazing, and fun, part of powerlifting is when you realize that as your MESQ goes up, the max on all your other lifts goes up with it. IMO heavy squats should be the core of every training program.

It blows people minds when I tell them the best way to increase their bench press is to start squatting heavy.

rynev33 is offline New Member
    if you can squat 225 sets of 20, you can bench a ton

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rynev33 View Post
    if you can squat 225 sets of 20, you can bench a ton
    I could squat 585 and only bench 275

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I dont really like the thick powerlifting belts on the market. I prefer to bench without a belt and like a supple thin belt for deadlift. I do like the lever locks, double-prongs are a pain. It really comes down to bodyfat and what conforms to your body. Some thick belt that digs into your sides and doesnt "grab" your back and gut is pretty useless.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldandbusted View Post
    A reasonable concern. Max effort squat is not something you just walk in off the street and start doing. You should think about getting back into it tho..... the amazing, and fun, part of powerlifting is when you realize that as your MESQ goes up, the max on all your other lifts goes up with it. IMO heavy squats should be the core of every training program.

It blows people minds when I tell them the best way to increase their bench press is to start squatting heavy.
    Agree 100%

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Different belts aren't a bad idea. I have a powerlifting belt from Bob's Belts I use for squats, and a Spuds deadlift belt for deadlifts. The Spuds is thick, but is very flexible, offering good support, while making it easier to get down and reach the bar. The Spuds belt isn't terribly expensive either.

You can use a smaller belt for bench pressing if you're trying to keep your bench shirt from rolling up. Other than that, I wouldn't use one for bench presses unless you have a lower back injury and are having trouble arching.

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    You probably just need to break that belt in. Alot of belts start really stiff, but over time gets looser, if you have a high quality belt it should form to your body with time. If you want to do olympic lifts, then yes get an olympic belt as well.

Thread Information