Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sluggo
  • 1 Post By fbomb1990

Thread: How to powerlift?

Hulking2016 is offline Junior Member

How to powerlift?

Hi I just started powerlifting and was wondering what some good ways to increase my max on bench press, squat, deadlift. I do not care about my size because I want to focus on that after I get strong so I'm just interested in strength. I hear that the west side barbell is a great way to get strength gains but I go to a gym that does not have bands or chains.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Go buy some. Logging chain doesnt cost that much

Sluggo is offline New Member
    Blog Entries
    If you just started, I would highly recommend a high frequency program such as Madcow 5x5, or if your a beginner to lifting in general Strong lifts 5x5. In my opinion (I am sure many will disagree) The Westside Conjugate system is great, however for a RAW lifter and a beginner jumping into WS is a mistake. You need to get your form down, the way to do that IMO is with frequency and forgetting about other movement. Getting better at the big three in the beginning happens by doing the big 3 and not different versions of it Frequently and at varying rep ranges.
    Brett N likes this.

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    the best way is to just keep deadlifting, squatting, and benching. It's just like anything else, you need to practice at what you want to get better at to get better. Saying you want to improve the big 3 and not focusing on those 3 lifts only is like wanting to get better at playing guitar so you begin to play drums.
    Brett N likes this.

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fbomb1990 View Post
    the best way is to just keep deadlifting, squatting, and benching. It's just like anything else, you need to practice at what you want to get better at to get better. Saying you want to improve the big 3 and not focusing on those 3 lifts only is like wanting to get better at playing guitar so you begin to play drums.
    +1 All the bands, chains, specialty bars, reverse hypers, etc. are great, but you can get strong without them. Like fbomb said, work on learning your form and working a proven powerlifting/strength training program and stick with it. I guarantee you'll gain both size and strength. As I said, ancillary machines, bars and methods of doing a strength movement is wonderful, but there were and still are plenty big and strong dudes that still don't have access to any of it, or simply refuse to deviate from what's got them there.

Even Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is good for someone looking to get strong from barbell training.

I read a very interesting article from a contributor on a leading website for strength training, and he said a major problem for many want-to-be lifters is the availability of so much workout information, a guy can be exposed to overload, thinking they need this and have to do that to get strong. He went on to say that while all the stuff out there is good, a person could stay more fixated on what he's not doing or using instead of just getting into the gym and working your lifts to get the form down and ultimately improve your strength.

You can look around at some of the posters and their routines, or check out what some of the guys have suggested. But if you do, then pick one and stick with it for a while. THEN, after you've worked the program thoroughly and know it like the back of your hand, you can try another routine to change things up. By that time, maybe you've moved to a new gym with bands, chains, multiple bars, etc, and you can incorporate them into your next program.

Good luck and enjoy. Just get in there, do your lifts and work on doing them right. You'll see gains once you start doing that.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    I deadlift 700+ and I've never used bands or chains . Not needed to get strong.

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    I deadlift 700+ and I've never used bands or chains . Not needed to get strong.
    Exactly! All these supplemental lifts and equipment are nice, but people need to simply lift heavy and do powerlifting movements. It seems like everybody wants to get really strong in the big 3, but no body wants to do the big 3 because they're difficult.

The Dirty South is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yosimitesam View Post

+1 All the bands, chains, specialty bars, reverse hypers, etc. are great, but you can get strong without them. Like fbomb said, work on learning your form and working a proven powerlifting/strength training program and stick with it. I guarantee you'll gain both size and strength. As I said, ancillary machines, bars and methods of doing a strength movement is wonderful, but there were and still are plenty big and strong dudes that still don't have access to any of it, or simply refuse to deviate from what's got them there.

Even Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is good for someone looking to get strong from barbell training.

I read a very interesting article from a contributor on a leading website for strength training, and he said a major problem for many want-to-be lifters is the availability of so much workout information, a guy can be exposed to overload, thinking they need this and have to do that to get strong. He went on to say that while all the stuff out there is good, a person could stay more fixated on what he's not doing or using instead of just getting into the gym and working your lifts to get the form down and ultimately improve your strength.

You can look around at some of the posters and their routines, or check out what some of the guys have suggested. But if you do, then pick one and stick with it for a while. THEN, after you've worked the program thoroughly and know it like the back of your hand, you can try another routine to change things up. By that time, maybe you've moved to a new gym with bands, chains, multiple bars, etc, and you can incorporate them into your next program.

Good luck and enjoy. Just get in there, do your lifts and work on doing them right. You'll see gains once you start doing that.
    Exactly right. Yosim hit it dead on the spot. Spend the first few months correcting form mistakes and getting in good with the 3 main lifts. There is so much bull shit on the internet now days. If you want to get stronger, eat big, sleep big, and lift big. You do those 3 simple things and you will start hitting your goals my friend.

I wish you the best!

-Dirty South

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Lots of great advice in this thread. All that's left to do is take the advice and run with it.

Thread Information