Nooomoto is offline Productive Member

Switching from powerlifting to strongman, need guidance

Hey guys. It's been a long, long while since I've posted. Several months ago I partially tore my left bicep while trying to set a 1RM on bench. The injury absolutely killed my motivation and I've been pretty dormant since then, only doing cardio and very light squats so I don't turn into a blob.

In the weeks leading up to the injury, I was doing a program and started to feel like the couple years of constant powerlifting has taken it's toll. My nervous system was dull as all hell and I wasn't seeing gains, or even able to maintain weight that I used to. My bicep has recently started to feel better, better as in there isn't constant pain. I'm looking to get back to lifting ASAP, but I think I'd rather go the strongman route this time, give the super heavy powerlifting a break. I have access to a fully equipped strongman gym and also a commercial gym thats a couple minutes from home. I'm no longer interested in chasing big numbers, as I've grown older I just don't care any more. I still want to be stronger than average Joe though, but that's not that difficult.

So I'll stop rambling and ask if any of you guys can point me to a strongman "beginners" guide/plan/workout to get me back into the swing of things? Thanks!

Mechanic is offline New Member
    I decided this year due to lack of motivation to change from powerlifting to strongman and have been really happy. the only thing i would be worried about is your arm, in strongman i have seen that its not so much an "if" you will get injured as a "when" will you get hurt so watch what you do with your arm learn proper form and how to move the implements properly, i guess there are coaches out there that suggest against direct biceps work and instead work them doing everything else(like pull up, truck pull and all the log and keg cleans and whatnot).

some things i noticed when i changed is i got burnt out/over trained easily when i trained with the high end guys at my gym. so move at your own pace in the beginning, also i increased my total volume on my barbell work like instead of one heavy set of squatting now i do rest paused sets followed by speed squats followed by olympic pause squats, it has helped a lot with gpp. also cardio prowler works well especially really heavy.

and lastly i guess your probably going to have to work on overhead pressing, most of the other powerlifters have not bad presses but not competitive in strongman comps. so instead of benching now i do 2 overhead days one with axel and one barbell and follow up with close grip benching for triceps.

good luck!

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Yeah I'd be training by myself at my friend's strongman gym late at night as to not interfere with his client's sessions. I was planning on going retarded light until I got the movements down, and also trying to not involve moving weight with my arms so much and more with my legs and back (like tire flips, lifting up the farmer walk weights).

Overhead press is definitely something I need to work on. I have extremely limited flexibility, so when ever I do olympic/strongman type movements I power through them using a totally wrong form. While I've been told by those who know that it's impressive that I can do that, it's not the right way and I'll get hurt...so yeah. Need to work on that for sure!

Thanks for the input bro.

Thread Information