Thread: Buying Chains

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member

Buying Chains

Hey guys - My brother is really getting into his powerlifting and strongman stuff, and hes very interested in getting a set of chains.

Im looking to buy some for his upcoming birthday, is there any brands I should look at? Any specific information? Good ones, bad ones etc. What weight would be a good first set? He's deadlifting 230kg, squating 190kg and benching 140kg - If this makes any difference.

Preferably a UK supplier, if anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it!

Krugerr

Bump!

I'd rather not order from US, as I'll get hot by tax and a long delay in customs.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Do you live near a shipyard? You could go on the rob, they have some pretty meaty chains there

Have you thought about bands instead of chains?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I think he has bands, he was chatting away about buying some chains.
    I'm not too far away from Portsmouth, or Southampton - but I don't think those size chains are what I'm looking for! Ferrys and military ships have rather large anchors!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Bah, I thought you said POWERlifter

They aren't cheap mate

http://www.savagestrength.co.uk/stre...chain-set.html

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/power...kg-chains.html

Can you find a local iron worker?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Check out hardware stores or places that cater to heavy equipment or larger boats if you can't find one large enough at the hardware store.

I'd just see what the options are. You never know which way will come out as the better deal. Make em yourself or buy a kit.
    Last edited by Dpyle; 09-10-2013 at 01:59 PM.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    One of my training partners made his own. Once you get the lengths figured out its fine

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't order it someplace, will end up paying a premium. Go find someplace local. Basically each chain needs to be double the length of the range of motion for the particular exercise. You can use a smaller chain and a caribeaner to attach to the middle of the chain, or the end of the chain, maybe what length you need for bench doubled up, would work on the end for squat. I would shoot for something like that. Anyways, you use your smaller chain to hang it down lower so most the chain deloads at the bottom and it just barely all comes up at the top. Doesn't have to be perfect.

A nice 3/8" chain isn't a bad option, but you can just get multiple lengths of it, so the weight he wants he just uses more pieces. Shouldn't be hard at a hardware store, but if you want cheap you need to find used. A lot of people end up throwing or recycling chains because of how they are used, certain things will keep them from being reused. And you don't use a chain used for lifting for pulling, and vice versa. But for him the chain strength doesn't matter at all. So you go for the cheapest stuff according to size.

Much thanks on

Feedback guys!

Super-Chump is offline Associate Member
    Yeah as mentioned above I'd go to your local hardware shop

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Get the chains from a metal supplier and get the collars either made up or customized by a metal fabricator it wouldn't take a decent metal fab long to make the collars work

Thread Information