Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tanner Chambers
  • 1 Post By Marc114
  • 1 Post By bigrich4

Thread: Grip

Black is offline Anabolic Member

Grip

I started to practice powerlifting about a month ago. I made the mistake years ago when I started lifting by using straps for deadlifting. I got nice and big and strong, but now that I am lifting raw, I am paying for it in the grip department. I know of several different wrist/grip strengthening exercises, but I'd like to hear some experience firsthand of what's worked for you guys.

satisfaction1822 is offline Junior Member
    Do deadlifts but hold at the top! And just count it down. I always do it wen I get to my singles reps and it has really helped my grip.

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    Trust me, bro, I've been lifting for over 20 years and SURE, I did all of my lifts (shrugs, deadlifts, pulldowns, etc.) with gloves and straps. When I was recruited into a lifting team (Team Mendy), I had to learn a whole new system. But in just 2 training sessions, I got used to training and lifting without them both. Now, I even workout at the gym without gloves and straps.

John Andrew is offline Member
    Mate,

It seems extreme but I went out on a fishing trawler for 9 months, working my hands all night and mending nets and working with ropes. It started as a holiday, I just loved the isolation.

When I came back I found that the least of my concerns was grip. Due to por equipment I use straps at the moment but give me a decent bar and some resin. Anything is possible.

Good luck,

John

FapOLantern is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Andrew View Post
    Mate,

It seems extreme but I went out on a fishing trawler for 9 months, working my hands all night and mending nets and working with ropes. It started as a holiday, I just loved the isolation.

When I came back I found that the least of my concerns was grip. Due to por equipment I use straps at the moment but give me a decent bar and some resin. Anything is possible.

Good luck,

John

Resin? I want to hear about that...I think.

Hrothgar is offline Associate Member
    Well alternating grip and chalk help. Try doing farmer walks with some heavy ass dumbbells around your gym. Also i like putting two plates back to back and picking them up with a pincher grip. Lastly hold last DL rep as long as you can at the top.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    doing calf raises holding a bar like you were doing shrugs seemed to help my grip a lot. So did reverse grip curls on an EZ bar

Tanner Chambers is offline New Member
    All of the above is great advice. I recently bought a spring-style grip trainer with individual finger spots for the car; definitely recommend.
    Stoptheslowdown likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Doing heavy rack pulls will help your grip as well as doing as much of your warmups and work sets on deads with a double pronated grip vs mixed grip. Static hangs from a pull up bar, farmers walks help too

While at work what I like to do is take a tennis ball and squeeze it until it caves in a few times the. Switch hands. I'll usually do about 20min worth of this spread out throught the day

Stoptheslowdown is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner Chambers View Post
    All of the above is great advice. I recently bought a spring-style grip trainer with individual finger spots for the car; definitely recommend.
    Same as. makes a difference for sure.

Baxter35 is offline Member
    Look up "heavy grips". They're like traditional spring style grip exercisers but they range from 100lb to 350lb spring ratings. My wife got me a full set a few years back and I love them, never go on a long road trip without a few in the car. Besides that, farmers walks and dead hangs are my favorite grip exercises.

yettibecsuse is offline Associate Member
    Have u tried a reverse grip weakest hand under strongest on top until your wrist strength increases

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    Get a pair of fa gripz, and start using them when curling and doing rows. Also try doing rope or towel pull ups, and ditch the straps for awhile. Grip strength is not a fast fix, so be patient

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    Heavy kettlebell swings is what did it for me.
    bigrich4 likes this.

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc114 View Post
    Heavy kettlebell swings is what did it for me.
    Yes, i once did the 10,000 kb challenge, grip improved a lot... good call dude
    Marc114 likes this.

prenes is offline Junior Member
    Farmers walks

Thread Information