shortwhitesprinter is offline New Member

full squated 360 20x @170 lbs

Hey guys....
    Im a sprinter at a university in CA and as part of my base power training Im currently on a 5 week regiment of 20x max squats on mondays only. The rest of the week is dynamic lifts such as snatches, snatch quats power cleans, step ups and jump squats. I recently squated 360 20x and Im weighing in around 172 (these arent BS squats Im talking full 90% or lower for each one....) I was just curious how this might be converted into an estimation of my 1 rep max... My powerlifting coach is telling me its unreal but at the same time due to my nature Im not so quick to believe that its as great of a feat as he says it is... Anyway any input would be great !! Oh yeah Im also not using ASS
    Thanks
    Bryan

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    Forget about trying to convert it to a 1RM. Those calculators are totally useless when dealing with extreme reps or weight.

Squatting 20 reps at 2x your BW is pretty crazy, so congrats on that. But I think you'd find out pretty quickly that 20-rep sets do not do a very good job at conditioning your body to perform a big 1RM. Unrack 585 and you'll see what I mean, LOL.

BTW, I bet by the end of your 5-week program, you will be squatting less weight.

Thanks Goldenear...
    I totally agree with you on the 20 rep max not converting in to a solid estimation of 1 rep max as I know they are completly different types of power (I was just curious as at the begaining of the sumemr I was around 530 max squat). At this phase in my training for the 100m in track my strength and conditioning coach is having me work on my base power and after the five weeks it will taper off into more dynamic movements such as high pulls/cleans/snatches etc. @approx 35-40% of my max in each individual lift. After 7-8 weeks of that it will progress into 4-5 weeks of sets of 2 or three at 90% of my max and and so on till mid March. Fopr sprinters its not how much weight you move but how how fast you move the amount of weight.. Anyways Im babbling... Thanks Again
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenear
    Forget about trying to convert it to a 1RM. Those calculators are totally useless when dealing with extreme reps or weight.

Squatting 20 reps at 2x your BW is pretty crazy, so congrats on that. But I think you'd find out pretty quickly that 20-rep sets do not do a very good job at conditioning your body to perform a big 1RM. Unrack 585 and you'll see what I mean, LOL.

BTW, I bet by the end of your 5-week program, you will be squatting less weight.

freakysnake is offline New Member
    http://www.huskerpower.com/1RM.html

-this web site will tell you your one rep max.

-according to the huskerpower your 1 RM is 576 pounds.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I don't think you can properly calculate a 1 RM from 20 reps. Example - A guy i had a squat comp with at my gym went back to back to see who could squat 225 lbs for more reps. He beat me by 15 reps. His squat max was 405 while mine is over 600 lbs. When you add the heavy weight to your back, you'll know exactly what im talking about. Muscular endurance and explosive power are two different things and at that many reps it'd be nearly impossible to calculate.

BDTR...
    After thinking about my question I totally agree with you Im just looking for a ballpark figure... I know Im in the range of 545-565 as I did 530 at the start of the summer... I did however half squat 800lbsx3 out of the hole as well as pushpress 315 for a set of three so trust me Im aware of what heavy weight feels like on your back....
    Sprinter

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I don't think you can properly calculate a 1 RM from 20 reps. Example - A guy i had a squat comp with at my gym went back to back to see who could squat 225 lbs for more reps. He beat me by 15 reps. His squat max was 405 while mine is over 600 lbs. When you add the heavy weight to your back, you'll know exactly what im talking about. Muscular endurance and explosive power are two different things and at that many reps it'd be nearly impossible to calculate.

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    what do you mean half squat 800 lbs 3 times out of the hole and pushpress 315????? IM confused as to what you mean by pushpress and if you can even move with 800 lbs on your back when your down passed parallell then you should squat a hell of a lot more than 565. but what really matters is your speed, what are your 4 yd 100m and 200m times????

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    past not passed

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    BDTR is correct. There's a guy in our gym who can out-squat me by far when doing 440 lb for reps. However, he can olny max 530 lb while I can do 800 lb.

I believe that the wider your power base is (meaning you can do a crapload of reps on a moderate weight), the lower your 1rm is and vice versa.

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    I know this is kind of late but a push press is like a military press if I remember correctly

Thread Information