Thread: Wow.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member

Thumbs up Wow.

I don't really frequent the Powerlifting Forum too often, but after reading through it...all I have to say is Wow.

Some of you dudes/girls are STROOOOOONG! Good stuff! I see some of your lifts, presses and squats and it's mind boggling. I do deads with 4 plates at my Gym and I'm one of the FEW who actually do them, and when I do I get stares. I would love to see how people would react to some of your numbers...haha...

I just thought I'd post this thread to commend you guys/girls on a job well done...and not to mention a job IMPRESSIVELY done.

Keep up the heavy lifting!

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    And another thing! 400+lb deadlifts with NO straps! Hahahahaha! Hoooly shit! That's crazy...

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    If you powerlift you have no chioce but to DL without straps. Straps aren't allowed in competition. So you must develop good grip strength.

You can't pull what you can't hold.

xxxl83

BDTR is offline Retired
    I pulled 600+ without straps, it takes a LOT of grip training to do so. My deadlift would probably be up about 50 lbs or so maybe more if wore straps or a belt. It's just something you need to work on and practice, you'll get a vice like grip.

Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    And another thing! 400+lb deadlifts with NO straps! Hahahahaha! Hoooly shit! That's crazy...

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    I pull over 800 without straps and find it easy to do so. I have never worked on my grip strength during my deadlifting training and have never had a problem. If the bar has good knurling and you're using chalk and a staggered grip, I just don't understand how there would ever be a problem.

synthetic is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenear
    I pull over 800 without straps and find it easy to do so. I have never worked on my grip strength during my deadlifting training and have never had a problem. If the bar has good knurling and you're using chalk and a staggered grip, I just don't understand how there would ever be a problem.
    how long did it take u to hit 800 and what did u start at?

I started pulling in '96 or '97 and started training, in general, in Feb. '95 (~160 @ 5'11"). I was able to start off pulling 315 for a couple. The thing I remember most accurately about that night was how the weight pulled down so hard on my lats. It was heavy!

BigArnie is offline Junior Member
    Sumo or conventional?

BTW Ronnie The Bull, if that's you in the avatar you look like you're a beeeeg dude!

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    Straps lol never used them EVER. i pulled 550 and im only 18. The consept of straps on the deadlift boggles me. chalk and a belt is all i need

Same here. I've pulled 705 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by BigArnie
    Sumo or conventional?
    I pull sumo

Anybody who pulls 800 lb earns my full respect!

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    I have a very different opinion then alot of you on straps and belts. I would never use a belt for deadlifting, that doesn't make any sense to me, but straps really from my experience don't make you any stronger at all while performing a lift because any lift I do with straps I can do without using a alternating grip. There is no grip issues at all when lifting that way, I mean I can't speak for the guys with them 500+ lbs numbers, maybe the weight does take a toll on your grip when it's that heavy. For you guys in the 400+lb range some of you make it sound like using straps would make you stronger or give you some extra reps and thats really not the case unless your grip is tremendously weak. All straps do from my experience is let you use a overhand grip and give your calouses a break, which is good for body building purposes. No offense to anyone.

For the record I never max with straps, ever.

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    "I pull over 800 without straps and find it easy to do so. I have never worked on my grip strength during my deadlifting training and have never had a problem. If the bar has good knurling and you're using chalk and a staggered grip, I just don't understand how there would ever be a problem."

Yeah thats exactly wha I've experienced... except... I've never pulled anywhere near that much. Thats exactly the reason why I don't see how straps could make you stronger, when your grip is just as strong alternating. I've never used chalk though but I wouldn't mind using it.

vanda1s is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    And another thing! 400+lb deadlifts with NO straps! Hahahahaha! Hoooly ****! That's crazy...

really? hm .. at a PL comp last year after i just started deadlifting i did 350 no prob no straps ..

Meathead57 is offline New Member
    i pulled 400 with out straps at 140 lbs but i also pulld sumthin else my back!!

Thread Information