Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much does YOUR bench shirt give you?

Let's get a lot of responses on this thread, because this is such an important topic in powerlifting. The tightness of your shirt often determines who wins the meet... I have often warmed up with guys who appear to be significantly weaker then I, only to watch them destroy me when the shirt goes on. And I have very good lockout power. Post your raw lift, your bench shirt lift and your weight so we can see what are realistic goals when concerning the bench shirt.

Weight: 160
    Raw bench: 311
    Shirted: 325

-HP

RCK
    RCK is offline Junior Member
    i recently did 425 @ 171 and i raw benched 380 a few weeks before that.you won't get much info from this though cause there are people that get 60-100 out of a shirt.i knoiw someone that can only bench 350 raw and watched him in person at a contest do 445 in a double denim,and that is no bullshit.ofcurse i won't say who and it really doesn't matter,but once you learn a shirt you will want it tighter and tighter.

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Whish I could post a reply but I dont have a shirt .I really need to get one so Iam looking around as of now .Anyways this should be a good thread .I hope alot of the guys post their raw and shirted lifts .Peace CDOG

Quote Originally Posted by RCK
    i recently did 425 @ 171 and i raw benched 380 a few weeks before that.you won't get much info from this though cause there are people that get 60-100 out of a shirt.i knoiw someone that can only bench 350 raw and watched him in person at a contest do 445 in a double denim,and that is no bullshit.ofcurse i won't say who and it really doesn't matter,but once you learn a shirt you will want it tighter and tighter.
    Nice lift bro!
    Yea I know that some people get tons out of their shirt, I just want to see what is realistic, what a good "average" amount is... I think it'll be interesting to see what a usual person gets. Because it's really important in powerlifting.

Peace,
    HP

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    What is a shirt? Ive never even heard about them except for this site. Anyone have a pic and what it helps do ?

CHSDOG55 is offline Associate Member
    Weight 192
    Raw: 310
    Shirt: 365
    In an inzer i dont get but maybe 10 pounds though. If ur gonna do it in a poly go with a fury. I've never used a denim and dont intend on it because i love the fury so much. A while back i did like 260 raw and bench 335 in a shirt. The new shirt i got is a lil bit larger than the old one so i need to grow a lil and im sure 400 should be close.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

let me ask what may be a stupid question since i'm not a powerlifter

would it be possible to use a shirt as a means of increasing hypertrophy in your chest?or is a shirt only good for pure strength in a 1RM situation, much like a burst of ATP x 10,000?haha.i'm totally clueless as far as the shirt things goes.any responses would be greatly appreciated!!thnaks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    would it be possible to use a shirt as a means of increasing hypertrophy in your chest?or is a shirt only good for pure strength in a 1RM situation, much like a burst of ATP x 10,000?haha.i'm totally clueless as far as the shirt things goes.any responses would be greatly appreciated!!thnaks guys!
    Well honestly i've never really thought about it but now that it comes up i can do reps in a shirt just like i can without one. One shirt day i usually warm up. Then i will do a few raw sets then i will put 275 on for a set of 8 then 295 for 5 then 315 for 2 then whatever is feeling good for 1. So i work up to a 1 RM but as far as chest hypertrophy i would think that it would help that due to the fact that ur not supporting the weight so much with the chest as the shirt is sorta helping u down low with that. Makes sense to me if u dont understand then maybe i can put it in a better way.

Shit CHSDOG you get a lot out of your shirt. Is this CHSDOG the 16 year old or the 19 year old... either way it's a good lift.

HP

Quote Originally Posted by Huge Presser
    Shit CHSDOG you get a lot out of your shirt. Is this CHSDOG the 16 year old or the 19 year old... either way it's a good lift.

HP
    Yes i am the 16 year old. My cousin usually doesnt do much with the powerlifting. He competes some but its what i live and die for. And im 17 now. HAHA..I have a new titan shirt on its way. Im hoping they will come out with a double poly fury. Like the boss material. That would be the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    What is a shirt? Ive never even heard about them except for this site. Anyone have a pic and what it helps do ?
    http://www.houseofpainstore.com/Sear...3ABench+Shirts

There are all the good shirts that are currently being sold, or at least the ones made by Inzer.

Peace,
    HP

GRIMM is offline Junior Member
    I get a ton out of my shirt. I have a dbl denim Inzer open back and the measurements i gave them were exact if not a 1/2 inch big.

Raw... 315-325 (only really tried it once and got 315 with some left)
    Comp.. 415 with 5 or 10 lbs left and the shirt was all the way up , not pulled down at all.
    weight..226

I ordered the shirt when i was 210 and did this bench when i was 225 so it has gotten a little tighter , mostly around the arms.

So i get about a 100lbs.

Jesus!!! 100 lbs? that's incredible, it must feel like you're gonna get crushed every time you lift off the weight with your shirt on.

Thanks for the response.

HP

can someone explain to me?

what is the premise behind the shirt and how does it infact increase the total amount of weight you can press?

Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    what is the premise behind the shirt and how does it infact increase the total amount of weight you can press?
    Hey bro,
    The shirt is made so tight around the chest and lat area that you actually have to "pull" the weight, even if it is 50 lbs over your max, to your chest. This has its disadvantages as some with weaker lats will not be able to touch, however, as soon as you touch, and pause the weight, the bar is blasted off your chest as it is unsuited to be positioned there. This is why it increases the lift so much, because the first half-3/4 of the lift are "taken care of", although for me it probably isn't even one quarter of the lift lol.
    I doubt it would help increases hypertrophy, although using it consistently will surely increases strength in the upper portion of the lift.

Feel free to comment if you have any more questions.

HP

HP I just found out that my wife is geting me my shirt for my birthday Yahooo!!! Cant wait to get it peace CDOG

Hey cdog... congrats bro! Keep us posted on what the shirt gives you... best of luck.

HP

Congrats cdog. Best of luck, keep us posted on how much the shirt gives you.

HP

thanks HP!!!

think i got it now.i'm gonna get one and play around w/ it to see if it helps me at all in the strength department.any particular one you would suggest for a beginner?

check out:
    www.houseofpain.com
    Click on Catalog and check out the bench shirts.
    My advice is not to get either one of the blast shirts... they suck ass.
    Good luck.

HP

solidj55 is offline Member
    When I was still powerlifting I used an inzer double ply poly shirt that wasnt even mine lol, it was probably 2 sizes too big. This is what my layout looked like then, this all comes from the logs I kept before the last bench comp I did. I am posting my best lifts during this time.

4-6 Weeks out from Competition
    Body Weight- 185lbs-178lbs
    Raw Bench- 355lbs
    Shirted Gym Bench- 385lbs

1-3 Weeks out from Competition
    Body Weight-178lbs-173lbs
    Raw Bench- 330lbs
    Shirted Gym Bench- 365lbs

Meet WeekBody Weight-165.3lbs
    Shirted MEET Bench- 350lbs

Dang thats sweet bro .I just ordered my shirt yesterday I got the High performance single ply poly .I havent used a shirt before so Iam hopeing this will be a good one to start out on .After reading your post about your shirt being two size to big I am worried because the numbers that I gave them for my size where spot on I dident add to anything and now Iam wondering if should have?.Just have to wait and see on tuesday I guess..........CDOG

Quote Originally Posted by cdog
    Dang thats sweet bro .I just ordered my shirt yesterday I got the High performance single ply poly .I havent used a shirt before so Iam hopeing this will be a good one to start out on .After reading your post about your shirt being two size to big I am worried because the numbers that I gave them for my size where spot on I dident add to anything and now Iam wondering if should have?.Just have to wait and see on tuesday I guess..........CDOG
    I never add anything to mine. Of course i;'ve used alot of Inzer's and i finally boughta Fury. Im telling u guys now if u want to stay IPF legal with a poly then its a must to have a Fury. Inzer's absoultely suck compared to a fury. NXG+ is amazing.

The shirt I got is a Inzer .Whats the problem with Inzer?Again this will be my first shirt and I dont want something that absoultely sucks .So do you think Iam going to have problems with my shirt ?And if so what kind of problems ...............CDOG

Hey chsdog check this shirt out for me becaause this is the one I bought yesterday and let me know what you think for a first time shirt .Its the high performance blast by Inzer the red one
    Also I wont be competing anytime soon thanks

http://www.monstermuscle.com/bench-shirts.asp
    Last edited by cdog; 07-12-2003 at 04:12 PM.

Check out www.titansupport.com
    It explain that difference in the Fury and other shirts. I personally own 3 inzer's and 1 Titan Fury NXG+ and i will never go back to an Inzer again. That website will tell u everything u need to know about the Fury dont just take my word for it check there message boards out. It has tons of people saying the same thing. And for 85.00 u cant beat the damn thing. 1 year warranty and they stand by it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdog
    Hey chsdog check this shirt out for me becaause this is the one I bought yesterday and let me know what you think for a first time shirt .Its the high performance blast by Inzer the red one

http://www.monstermuscle.com/bench-shirts.asp
    If u want the most out of ur Inzer cut the back and pull it down really low on ur chest and tigthen ur belt as tight as u can stand and when i mean tight i mean bull like a fucking train. If u keep an inzer really low then they work pretty good. Inzer's are a bitch to get in if u dont cut them also. Where are u located?

I live on the coast of oregon

So you tuck the bench shirt into the belt ?I have never put on a belt for bench does this help?And when you say cut the shirt where should I cut it and how big is the cut .thanks CDOG

When u cut the shirt cut it right down the middle in the back..U cut it all the way. It is still legal. THe reason for the belt is to keep the shirt down on ur chest. U want to pull the shirt down to bout ur nips. Maybe an inch off of being parralell or ur nips. And then wrap the belt around ur waist and tighten it very tight. Then when u lay down to bench get someone to tuck the belt underneath ur belly in the front. THat gives the shirt a lil more downforce and keeps it lower. Then bench with a slow and controlled down and keep ur chest tight the whole time. And when u press it back up press it as hard as u absoultly can on the way back up. Explode off of ur chest like u warming up with 135 or something. That gives u awesome momentum. But make sure u keep ur chest pumped the whole time.

Good info CHSDOG... cdog nothing to worry about that is a good shirt, I have used it before and it was phatass.
    Good luck bro.

HP

Thanks chsdogg .....HP Right on hoss that makes me feel alot better .The site that CHSDOGG gave is awsome wish I would have seen it sooner .........CDOG

Hey bro if u need any more help let me kno. I will try to help as much as possible. I had to learn shirts the hard way also. And i finally got the help i needed by some top powerlifters. Just to mention a few Steve Goggins WR Holder 1102 Squat. Jon Grove Junior Record holder for a 900lb squat. Jon has helped me tremendous amount i owe it all to him for helpin me out. But if u need anything else let me kno bro.

Jesus CHSDOG where do you lift? So you've met Steve Goggins?? Shit that guy is incredible... has he made any progress since the WPO finals?

HP

Quote Originally Posted by Huge Presser
    Jesus CHSDOG where do you lift? So you've met Steve Goggins?? Shit that guy is incredible... has he made any progress since the WPO finals?

HP
    Well bro i never train on leg day up there. I very rarely have a chance to go up there due to work. I really feel bad bc i dont get to train with them much any more. Steve is awesome though. They train at a Gym that was put together by Jon Grove. North Georgia Barbell. Its in kennesaw. They've all made some amazing progress since WPO Finals. They are putting on a meet September 6 in Kennesaw. That's currently the meet im training for. Its gonna be awesome. I've got to get my squat around 450 RAW. I dont never use squats suits or dead suits. but i plan on getting a boss before competition. If u werent so far away bro i would tell u to come on out and check it out. Its gonna be an amazing event. Those guys in that gym have helped me a ton. All of them are 600 benchers and im over here struggling to hit my 350 but they cont. to help. There an amazing bunch of guys.

Thanks for the info bro, you're a lucky man to be training with guys like that.

Well I hope you found what you needed cdog... thanks to guys like CHSDOG we are able to build a better knowledge base, making our little forum more of a success....

Peace,
    HP

Im just here to help Im just glad i could. Anytime u guys need anything im here just PM me.

Rx-AS is offline New Member
    Sorry guys, I'm a little behind the times in my response but I just got back from vacation. Training on a cruise ship - what a trip!
    But here goes my bench shirt saga...
    Upon first using a bench shirt I was good for about 295-305 raw...with the shirt (single poly, Inzer) I got 320...
    Two years later I can double 350 (most I've ever tried raw) and I'm good for 425 in my double denim (inzer)...
    There is a lot of training necessary just for the technique of using a bench shirt and each style/brand of shirt requires a different technique.
    Unfortunately, bench shirts can get pricey so, to experiment and find the "right" bench shirt may take a while.
    I think my next shirt will be a karin double denim...i've heard they take alot of measurements and the shirts fits you perfect...which baffles me cuz the more i train the more i grow which negates the measurements i give them...huh...such is the life of a powerlifter!
    HP sounds like you need an inzer phenom or double denim, it will greatly increase your max...
    as for cdog that is an excellent first shirt...don't expect much out of it but it will get you accustomed to using a bench shirt...once you notice that it is either way too small (if that's possible with a bench shirt) or you notice that it's not adding much to your bench, upgrade!
    hope this info helps...

Need your guys I just got my shirt and I havent put it on yet (only up to my shoulders barley got my head through) but I can tell already that Iam going to be totaly clastraphobic(Spelling )So I am ready to cut the back .Now when I cut the shirt do I cut the whole back down including the collar or just the shirt part of it ?............c

Cut it all that way. Collar and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information