vanda1s is offline New Member

How Crazy is this

Well .. I found this article that says you can add up to 100 lbs to a max lift in 8 weeks following an explosive training program. I'm thinking about trying it, because my bench is terrible right now. I was up to 285, but then hurt my shoulder because i used terrible form. Now I started over with strict form and am doing 200x5 but haven't gone over that yet. Anyways .. here it is ..

This also has some other info as well ... the part i'm talking about is all the way at the end of the document. Please look over it and tell me what you think about it.

I'm thinking about trying it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Introduction

This is an 8-week explosive weight-training program designed specifically to give you incredible strength gains! This workout can be used with the bench press, military press, squats, and deadlifts. This program has also been used on isolation exercises (ex. Biceps curls and triceps extensions) with equal incredible strength gains! Do not be surprised if you gain up to 45lbs. or more on each of the 3 workouts. Some athletes have actually increased 50lbs. on leg squats just after 2 weeks!
    My personal best in the bench press was 280lbs. at a body weight of 155lbs., but after only 8 weeks, it was 400lbs. One year later I decided to try this 8-week workout again. My maximum bench press was 425lbs. at a bodyweight of 180lbs. After completing this eight-week program, I was able to bench 505lbs. once. Great results were gained each time.
    Regardless of how you have trained before, if you are benching around 200lbs. you will be benching around 300lbs by the end of the 8-week program. If you are benching 700lbs., you will be benching around 800lbs. after the 8 weeks program.
    This program must be done in the exact order it is outlined. If workout days are missed for any reason, you should start over. Completing this workout for more than 8 weeks has not been attempted and results are not available.
    It is advised to complete this 8-week program and then proceed to another ( to maintain strength) for at least a month before repeating this program. Always train with a partner, get plenty of rest, and GO FOR IT!

Absolute Strength vs. Explosive Strength

There are 2 types of strengths: Absolute and Explosive.

Bulldozers and elephants are both extremely powerful for pushing and pulling, but they move very, very slow. This is absolute strength. Explosive strength would be the exact opposite. Thin, muscular, and extremely quick and explosive, like a gymnast, cheetah, or like a volleyball player jumping to spike the ball.
    Explosive strength is the creation of a tremendous amount of power in a very short period of time. The faster, higher, or farther you can do something, the more explosive you are. In what sport would anyone need to have absolute or brute strength?
    Unfortunately, football players think this is the kind of strength that is best for there sport. Even though the most explosive players make the great plays. If a 280lb. Football player had an absolute strength squat of 500lbs. and his 40yd dash time was only 5.0 seconds, I would work more on his explosive strength, making him quicker and get his 40yd dash time down to 4.5 seconds or so.
    Football, as well as sports like basketball, and tennis are explosive sports, and explosive weight training should be the only type of weight training.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Newton’s 2nd law of physics, F = M x A, states that if the mass is a constant during your lift, then your acceleration must be increased in order to generate more force. If you are bench pressing 200lbs, the weight does not change throughout the movement. Then, you will generate 200lbs of force.

F = M x A
    F = 200lbs. x 1 second
    F = 200lbs

If it takes you half a second to perform one repetition, then you are generating 400lbs. of force, just by generating twice the speed. This is when Olympic style of weight lifting comes to mind.
    The Olympic style weight lifter is the perfect example of what explosive weight training can do for strength. These athletes lift enormous amounts of weight with incredible speed, but their style of weight lifting is very lengthy and difficult to perfect. So, can we apply explosive weight training technique to our regular weight training programs in order to create explosive power in certain muscle groups? Absolutely!
    The following program can be used for the bench press, squats, dead lifts, military press, and all other exercises. You become incredibly strong in a short period of time, weeks instead of years.

Part 1 Weeks 1&2

Before beginning, you must establish your maximum lift or press. That is the most you can lift or press for 1 repetition, without the help of a spotter. This weight is equal to 100%. You now need to determine 60%, 65%, and 70% of this maximum weight. These weights can be exact, or within 5lbs. less than exact, but never more than the exact. If your maximum is 300lbs., then 60% of 300lbs. is 180 lbs., 65% is 195lbs.. and 70% is 210lbs.
    Perform these repetitions as fast as possible, with 1-minute rest periods between sets. The weights that you will be using and the speed at which you will be lifting them will make the program seem very easy, but since you have never done an explosive lifting routine like this before, you do not know how it should feel. You should complete the 2-week routine and then find your “ new max”. Each repetition should be performed through only ¾ of full extension of the exercise. Full extension is not necessary and ¾ range of motion is a lot faster.

Week 1

Monday 60% of max 5(sets) x 5(reps)
    Wednesday 65% of max 5x5
    Friday 70% of max 5x5

Week 2

Monday 60% of max 5x5
    Wednesday 65% of max 5x5
    Friday 70% of max 5x5

The Monday following the week 2 workout, establish your new maximum lifts or press at 1 repetition. It does not matter if your new max is now 5lbs. or 50lbs heavier, you are now stronger than you were 2 weeks ago. This is your goal throughout each of these workouts.

Part 2 Weeks 3-6

Before beginning Part 2, you should have established your maximum lift or press, for one repetition without the help of a spotter. Using this new max, you must figure out the proper weights for the following repetitions, but you must follow these easy guidelines.
    There will always be a 20lb. Weight difference between “even” numbered repetitions , and 10lbs. weight difference between successive repetitions. The following is an example. If your new max is 300lbs. then your weights should be as follows. They must be performed in this order, with a 1-minute rest between sets.

The repetitions are performed as fast as possible using ¾ range of motion.

8 repetitions using 220lbs
    6 repetitions using 240lbs
    5 repetitions using 250lbs
    4 repetitions using 260lbs
    3 repetitions using 270lbs
    2 repetitions using 280lbs
    1 repetition using 300lbs

If your new max is 250lbs. then your weights should be as follows.

8 repetitions using 170lbs
    6 repetitions using 190lbs
    5 repetitions using 200lbs
    4 repetitions using 210lbs
    3 repetitions using 220lbs
    2 repetitions using 230lbs
    1 repetition using 250lbs

If your new max is 400lbs., then your weights should be as follows.

8 repetitions using 320lbs
    6 repetitions using 340lbs
    5 repetitions using 350lbs
    4 repetitions using 360lbs
    3 repetitions using 370lbs
    2 repetitions using 380lbs
    1 repetition using 400lbs

Use this routine for 4 weeks, every other day, such as Monday, Wednesday, and Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, san Saturday. Use the same weights for 2 successive workouts. If after the 2nd workout, some of the weights were easily completed, or you get the feeling that you might of added one more repetition at that weight, then, on the next workout day, add 10lbs to all the weights that were easily completed. Do not use the same weight for different repetitions. Always add 10lbs in order to make them different. If you are not able to add 10lbs on any weights, continue onto the next workout day until you can add 10lbs to some or all of the weights.
    You should be able to add 10lbs to all the weights on every 3rd workout. After this 4-week workout is completed, you should have added 40lbs to all the weight classes. If your starting maximum weight was at 300lbs., then your ending weights should look like the following example:
    8 repetitions using 260lbs
    6 repetitions using 280lbs
    5 repetitions using 290lbs
    4 repetitions using 300lbs
    3 repetitions using 310lbs
    2 repetitions using 320lbs
    1 repetition using 340lbs

Next, find your new max at 1 repetition again. This is equal to 100% and should be used to determine 60%, 65%, and 70% of this new max. Begin your next workout using these new weights.

Part 3 Weeks 7-8

You have just found your new max again and now we begin your next workout. This next workout is a 2-week workout exactly the same as the first 2-week workout. You can repeat this workout again because the 4-week workout used very heavy weights that could not be performed as explosively as the lighter weights, so there will be an improvement again at the end of this 2-week workout.
    The repetitions are performed as fast as possible with a 1-minute rest between sets, using ¾ range of motion.

Week 7

Monday 60% of new max 5x5
    Wednesday 65% of new max 5x5
    Friday 70% of new max 5x5

Week 8

Monday 60% of new max 5x5
    Wednesday 65% of new max 5x5
    Friday 70% of new max 5x5

Next, find your new max again. Your last new max could be 100lbs. or more than our beginning max at week 1. This routine could be continued for another 6 weeks, and then another, but I suggest that you begin a completely different program for one month at least before returning to this workout program.

Conclusion

Explosive weight training can give you a great deal of extra strength in a very short period of time. This type of explosive weight training is not being used at the professional, collegiate, and definitely not at the high school or junior high school levels.
    The sooner the athletes begin this type of weight training, the sooner they will reach high levels of competition. Using this type of training, it is likely that in the years to come, champions will be younger than ever. Younger athletes, as well as older athletes being able to compete longer will shatter world records. Keep a training log of your maximum weight for 1 repetition, the weight you used that day, the amount of repetitions performed, and the date. "

sorry about the length of the post, but tath's the part of the program i'm talking about. what do you all think of the methods and claims?

and does it make sense to try it? (i'm starting the first part right now as a matter of fact)

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I just skimmed over it, but i'll read it over when school is out.

It looks like he's preaching what Louie Simmons has been doing for 25yrs or so now, the importance of speed out of the hole, the ability to generate so much speed that you will blow past your sticking point.

WSB uses roughly 50% MAX weight for speed work. I would read over some WSB articles as there's tons of them, and many people using the system with great success to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    I just skimmed over it, but i'll read it over when school is out.

It looks like he's preaching what Louie Simmons has been doing for 25yrs or so now, the importance of speed out of the hole, the ability to generate so much speed that you will blow past your sticking point.

WSB uses roughly 50% MAX weight for speed work. I would read over some WSB articles as there's tons of them, and many people using the system with great success to ask questions.
    cool

any other thoughts? i thought my get more responses here than at abc.

bouya_ak is offline Junior Member
    I've put on about 15lbs on bench in the first 2 weeks of this program, while losing 5 lbs of bodyweight, I'm up to 385 with no shirt, hoping to get 405 at the end of the eight weeks, IMO this program is working for me, I was stuck @ 365-370 for about 2-3 months.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=saboudian]I just skimmed over it, but i'll read it over when school is out.

Exactly, nothing really new here, all the powerlifters in my gym did routines like these to get there strength up.

DLK
    DLK is offline Junior Member
    Do you think it would make a difference if you have a high or low max.
    295-bench age-16

Thread Information