MuscleSportMag is offline Associate Member

Robby Robinson Still Waging War at 62

“The Black Prince” Throws Barbs at Arnold and Weider, Steroids in Bodybuilding and Baseball

To be considered one of the pioneers and a legend in your sport is something that can never go away. Even if he never picked up a weight again, Robby Robinson would always be one of the elite bodybuilders of all time.

While most men at the age of 62 find more time to sit around than exercise and have a diet that make their doctors turn red, the man known as “The Black Prince” still busts it in the gym and has not ‘enjoyed’ as much as piece of pie in over 20 years.

Never one to not speak his mind during the ‘golden age of bodybuilding,’ Robinson still has that trait and it is part of what has made him so great while being understood in certain circles. He has his own opinion on some of the biggest names in his sport and others, like Arnold Schwarennegar, Joe Weider, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds.

“I love my sport, but the business has to come out of the hole,” Robinson said. “All the money that ‘The Classic’ – they used to call it the ‘Arnold Classic’ – is making, that you only have a $150,000 paycheck?

“Bodybuilders have come up to me recently and said they’re not happy,” continued Robinson. “They deserve more. From the Weiders and from the Governor. No disrespect.”

Back in the 1980s, Robinson actually moved out of the United States to “escape the destructive politics of the business,” having strong feelings about corruption in bodybuilding and steroid abuse .

“There’s a lot of drugs in the sport,” he said. “To be 300 pounds and come down to 260 or 250. I think the government ought to do something.” Robinson made his point clear, but also was up front about his own use. “I never took drugs when I came here (to California from Florida) in 1975. The first time I got involved was two weeks before Mr. World. I took the shot – which was primo depot – and remembered going home and sitting down and the whole room started spinning.”

During his competing days, Robinson would not use steroids during the offseason, but said that when he was eight weeks out, he would take something every two weeks.

“I still practiced that until I retired,” he said. “Recently, B-12 was low in my body, and I know that was from steroid use .”

Regarding the popularity of the sport, Robinson feels that the powers that be are deliberately holding it back. “They’re trying to keep it down because of the drugs,” he said. “We’re not in a big light. It’s more of a sub-culture, a cult sport. It’s (stopping steroids ) going to take away from it. The government will get involved – like (Roger) Clemens and (Barry) Bonds.”

Robinson feels that the baseball players named in the Mitchell Report are getting a “bad rap,” and all the injuries this season are not a coincidence.

“Take (Jason) Giambi,” he said. “When you use that stuff (steroids), you get blown up. When you stop, you’re weaker.

“Barry (Bonds) got nastier,” continued Robinson. “I love the guy, but c’mon!”

Very opinionated. Very intelligent. And very charismatic. That’s Robby Robinson. A bodybuilder who says that he will continue working out “until the end of time,” and no one would argue that.

joe2009 is offline Associate Member
    where did u find this interview?
    was a gd read

Quote Originally Posted by joe2009 View Post
    where did u find this interview?
    was a gd read
    Thanks. I conducted it myself and found Robby to be very open and a pleasure to speak with.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    To bad he knows shat about the body. Low B-12 because of steroid use , yeah I bet so. Did I mention he is a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    To bad he knows shat about the body. Low B-12 because of steroid use, yeah I bet so. Did I mention he is a hypocrite.
    care to say why?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2009 View Post
    care to say why?
    Im sure if you read the article you could see why.

You have to realize that Robby Robinson is a little more outspoken than many of the other bodybuilders from that era. He always was, and hasn't changed. He was being up front when talking about his own steroid use and merely gave opinions on the other athletes that are using now.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleSportMag View Post
    You have to realize that Robby Robinson is a little more outspoken than many of the other bodybuilders from that era. He always was, and hasn't changed. He was being up front when talking about his own steroid use and merely gave opinions on the other athletes that are using now.
    he took a shot of primo and the room starting spinning? please

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    haha maybe it was slin...

seriously, he sounds like the type of guy that would say steroids gave him chicken pox

SVTmuscle is offline Gsxxr's Bitch
    It's sad how much of a hypocrite Arnold is today, unfortunately politics have completely consumed bodybuilding's god.
    And regarding the money, $150,000 for the top win of the year is a complete joke...considering the fitness/supplement industry is a 20billion dollar industry, to give just about $1,000,000 in total earning throughout the entire YEAR for every show is a ****ing disgrace!

Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    he took a shot of primo and the room starting spinning? please
    Honestly, when I went back and transcribed this interview with Robinson, I felt that remark may have been made more in jest than actuality. From what I gathered, he could have been just surmising that it was his first time using gear and things were 'spinning' for him quickly. I highly doubt that one shot of any gear will give that reaction. It could also have been a reaction that he made happen subconsciously to himself. I included it in the article because I knew that it would raise a few eyebrows and get a reaction - the reason why writers write.

Because he was very open about this, he would have no reason to make stuff up. It wasn't as if he was standing on a soap box stating that he never used after that. He openly admitted he did. So while the statement in itself may sound odd, it could have meant many different things, and we're all just reading into it too much.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleSportMag View Post
    “There’s a lot of drugs in the sport,” he said. “To be 300 pounds and come down to 260 or 250. I think the government ought to do something.” Robinson made his point clear, but also was up front about his own use. “I never took drugs when I came here (to California from Florida) in 1975. The first time I got involved was two weeks before Mr. World. I took the shot – which was primo depot – and remembered going home and sitting down and the whole room started spinning.”
    This guy sounds like a moron.

DeputyLoneWolf is offline Associate Member
    ^^ Agreed.

sorel_C is offline Member
    he would only take 8 week out? and once every 2 weeks?? i somewhat admired the guy but not after this...... if you dont wanna talk about what u do cool,, but dont make crap up if your supposely ganna be honest!!! it is funny reading though

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy-chris View Post
    he would only take 8 week out? and once every 2 weeks?? i somewhat admired the guy but not after this...... if you dont wanna talk about what u do cool,, but dont make crap up if your supposely ganna be honest!!! it is funny reading though
    Robinson was not the only bodybuilder to tell me in an interview that he only used gear before a competition. That seems to be a fairly common denominator among guys from that era.

he is talkin truth about the prize money bein low and that the guys r doin too much juice.

Thread Information