Freakymuscle4u is offline Junior Member

Unhappy "Sad new about Orville Burke"

Taking from AE boards, posted by a moderator....

There is sad news to report from NYC, tonight, regarding the health of IFBB pro Orville Burke.

As was previously reported here, Orville injured his elbow, during a photo shoot, following the Olympia.

He was scheduled to have surgery to repair the injury, this week. It would be necessary for Orville to receive a general anesthetic for the surgical procedure.

As is the case for so many BBers with extreme muscularity, Orville has suffered from high blood pressure and an enlarged heart, for some time, and has been under the care of a cardiologist. He also has asthma, which limited his ability to do cardio. He did not tell the orthopedic surgeons who were to do the elbow surgery. But, during the pre-surgery workup, all this was discovered. Orville was declared a non-candidate for a general anesthetic, and the operation was cancelled.

Orville went to his cardiologist, who, for reasons unknown to me, gave Orville a written release to undergo the general anesthetic and elbow surgery. So, Orville was cleared, and the surgery took place.

During the surgery, Orville's heart failed, and, following attempts to restart his heart, he lapsed into coma.

Tonight, Orville remains alive, but unconscious. It is unknown whether he may be restored to consciousness, or the possible extent of brain damage. Surely, his career, as a pro BBer, must be at an end.

Those of us who know or met Orville Burke, know he is a kind and gentle soul, and a wonderful ambassador for the sport.

I sincerely hope that each and every one of you will keep Orville in your thoughts and prayers, in the days ahead.

Thank you very much.

My thoughts and prayers are defineately with him and his family.

Jay

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    Tough news to hear...my best is sent.

Aragorn

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    wow..yeah that is some bad news...all my best to OB!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    So it begins... I think most of the top guys today go way to far with their supplements and they are starting to reap the effects. Very bad news.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Thats is sad news!

All my love to Orville and his family and friends.

Farmer is offline Member
    God that is terribble, Orville was such a humble and down to earth person from what I knew of him. My best to him and his family and godspeed on recovery.

God Bless

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    This is a rude awakening for everyone...
    There is problems that you can't avoid and a simple procedure as elbow surgery can be turned into a life or death situation...based on the gross abuse and reliance on anabolic steroids .

Makes you think...is it worth it?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    This is a rude awakening for everyone...
    There is problems that you can't avoid and a simple procedure as elbow surgery can be turned into a life or death situation...based on the gross abuse and reliance on anabolic steroids .

Makes you think...is it worth it?
    Not in the amounts they use. Nothing in excess is good for you especially when you are manipulating your hormones and body chemistry. The Olympian competition is out of hand... these guys are required to do massive amounts to place. Look what happend to Flex Wheeler this year...

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully he gets through this. Sad news.

aquaray is offline Associate Member
    I'M SAD TO HEAR OF THIS NEWS. I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF HIS BUT STILL WISH ALL THE BEST FOR HIM.

berry is offline Associate Member
    incredible news but why him¿?many pros have been through opss,ronnie,milos,fux even markus what the hell happened to react that way? i pray

ibiza69 is offline Senior Member
    my prayers go out to orville and his family. this is trully sad news.

Gene is offline Associate Member
    As a fellow New Yorker, I extend my condoles to Orville and his family. This is very sad news, I hope he gets well soon.
    Last edited by Gene; 11-09-2002 at 10:50 PM.

BigDude is offline Junior Member
    Oh shit.. that's shocking. I certainly hope this is only a rumor, but if it's not, the sad truth is it's not that hard to believe. The substance abuse is just so serious on that level, it's sad. And many of us would like to be mass monsters like they are. It's quite ironic, really. At the same time, makes me quite relieved I've adopted a very low dosage cycles in the last few years. I may never be in Mr. O, but at least shit like this shouldn't happen to me.

Anyway, it's sad something like this happens to Orville. He never said a bad word about anyone. He just quietly did his job, and against all odds, became one the most massive body builders at age 40. I just hope this story has a happy ending.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    That is very bad news, he trully was one of the best and big great gentle giant...all the best to him and his family, I hope he recovers from this though time...XXL

Hmmm, i hope this wasn't a rumor, i haven't seen any info on this about any other sites, if this is a rumor im sorry for posting it, but i thought a mod from AE would be a legit source for something like this.....

Anyone here updates or sites about this claim?

Jay

bigtraps1 is offline New Member

Re: "Sad new about Orville Burke"

Originally posted by Freakymuscle4u
    Taking from AE boards, posted by a moderator....

Orville has suffered from high blood pressure and an enlarged heart, for some time, and has been under the care of a cardiologist. He also has asthma, which limited his ability to do cardio.

Jay
    Is this true or bullshit???

Was he on the death pool?

Not sure.......Can't find anything about this except on the AE boards......It may be a rumor
    Which at first i thought it wasn't because it was posted by a mod, but lets hope its a rumor..

Jay

ZachG_85 is offline Junior Member
    But what boggles my mind is, why did he end up with such problems on elbow surgery when JP Fux, who I'm fairly certain uses even more than O, managed to get through some really nasty knee surgery?

JYZZA is offline VET
    It is not a rumor. I talked to Gunter's wife and she told me same thing about Burke.
    I wish him luck and offer my prayers.
    Click Banner To Enter

~ Disclaimer: Quality Muscle was designed to share knowledge and discuss diverse areas of bodybuilding. ~ Quality Muscle and its Staff does not promote the use of illegal substances ~

skinnyhb is offline Member
    supposedly, this rumor is entirely untrue

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...hreadid=190720

skinnyhb is offline Member
    well, yet again, another twist to the story. now it IS true
    http://forum.anabolicextreme.com/viewtopic.php?t=947

BigDude is offline Junior Member
    Yes, it's unfortunately true.. they just had it on flexonline.com

fast is offline Associate Member
    Very sad news All my best to OB !

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Is he still alive? I read in Flex like two weeks ago that said he's still in a coma.

husun is offline Junior Member
    From flexonline:

ORVILLE BURKE IN SERIOUS HEALTH SCARE
    On November 5, Orville Burke, 10th-place finisher at the 2002 Mr. Olympia, underwent surgery to rectify a long-standing triceps injury which he had exacerbated a week earlier while warming up for a FLEX photo shoot. Sources close to Orville tell us that while under anesthetic, Orville, who has a history of asthma problems, experienced a seizure and lapsed into a coma. His condition became serious enough that he was placed on life support machines. His wife, Christina, has been by his bedside at all times.

On Friday, November 16, our sources tell us that Orville started to come round intermittently and has been taken off life support, however, he is not out of the woods yet. FLEX has refrained from reporting Burke’s circumstances, respecting his family’s privacy, while we waited, hoping for a speedy recovery for the stricken star. With so much comment swirling around about Orville's well-being, we thought it now appropriate to give this update.

While latest reports are more promising, Burke remains in serious condition. Orville is truly one of the nicest guys in the sport, a real gentleman , and we ask the whole bodybuilding community to keep him in their thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Hultan is offline New Member

Orville Burke

ORVILLE IMPROVES
    Orville Burke, stricken since November 5 from a postoperative coma following surgery to repair a triceps tendon tear, is making gradual progress, say sources in New York City. Though he is still hospitalized, Burke is now walking and talking and generally responding positively to rehabilitation. This is great news for fans and friends of the popular 39-year-old pro who finished ninth at the 2002 Mr. Olympia. Of course, we'll keep you up to date on Orville's development, and let you know when he's ready to address his fans publicly.

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Sorry to tear the sentimental moment, but that guy really won't be coming back - I hope he doesn't for his health's sake - it'd be the wise thing to do.

letsgetwithit is offline Female Member
    That is incredable I hope he recovers fully to enjoy the family that has stood by him all this time. God bless him and his. And let it remind us to cherish the moment or that drop of sweat we worked so hard for.

LGWI

houseofpain is offline Banned
    My prayers go out to Orville and his family.

Thread Information