Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    letmein is offline Associate Member

Look at the difference!

I am mostly amazed at the Leg mass and the conditioning of today's Olympians verus the greats from the past. All of them had great arms but Larry Scott couldn't win an NPC show with his wheels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look at the difference!-olympia.jpg  

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    It's quite shocking... makes me wonder what bodybuilders will look like 20 years from now... or if it's even possible for the human body to get any bigger... time will tell i guess.

retired is offline Associate Member
    Coleman has some of the biggest legs on an in-shape BB that I have ever seen. His wheels even put Nasser's to shame.

syd
    syd is offline Junior Member
    That is simply just amazing.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Things have come along way haven't they!

WiLLpOwEr is offline Member
    Wow.

Look at the biceps on those three! Maybe the best 3 pairs of biceps ever!

I don't know if the human body can get any bigger. Only time will tell.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Arnold looks the best tho.

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    Arnie is a lot taller than Coleman, that made it a hell of a lot tougher to build his legs

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigun
    Arnie is a lot taller than Coleman, that made it a hell of a lot tougher to build his legs
    I think you're oversimplifying it a lil too much cuz gunter is the same height as arnold or within an inch. Legs are also alot more important now in BBing which makes a big difference cuz you can tell arnold didn't spend a whole lot of time on his hammies or glutes.

Its also quite interesting how the positioning of the abs for this pose has changed with time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look at the difference!-olympia.jpg  
    Last edited by saboudian; 10-29-2003 at 06:44 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Tried to find a close up Darrem Charles' Bicep but couldn't. There was a pic of it in a flex a few months back, and the split he has in his bicep is ridiculous. You can kinda see it in this pic fairly well.

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    I doubt you'll see anyone touch Ronnie's package for the next 10 years. The man's an untouchable freak right now!

hybrid is offline Member
    Coleman does look great as a specimen of what extreme the body can be put too.
    With that being said, it's too bad that everything in this sport has to be taken to such an extreme to get noticed. Arnold looked huge in his day, now he just looks like an anatomy photo of the perfect man. Seems like a line drawn somewhere would be of benefit to the sport, but where do you draw it?

Hybrid, that's like asking the fastest men in the world to slow down a bit at the Olympic 100 meter race.

OoDee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordero
    Hybrid, that's like asking the fastest men in the world to slow down a bit at the Olympic 100 meter race.
    I respectfully disagree. In bodybuilding there are more valuable factors in addition to size. It's a sport bound to the matter of opinions. Judges are always involved. These people judge the contestants by certain standards but taste always comes to play. In a 100 meter race the winner is always the one who crosses to finish line first. However, in a bodybuilding contest the biggest isn't always the best, albeit this is the way too often in my opinion. There are factors such as symmetry, muscle definition, etc. Big does not directly equal
    best (hell, if it would you could just throw Greg Valentino on stage and it'd be a no brainer).
    With that being said I shall point out that I have never understood the speciality of Ronnie Coleman. To be honest, there are a good number of bodybuilders who look far better to my eye (Dexter, Levrone, Priest, many of the old legends, etc.).
    Coleman is big for sure but his mid body looks pretty much bad to me. It's a shame the way of the sport nowadays seems to be this. People want freaks. This attitude is really taking the sport into a wrong direction. As I have understood it, bodybuilding was originally about aesthetics. Nowadays size simply matters far too much.
    I do not like Coleman, Ruhl nor Dorian. I never did. Those guys never looked good to me. Not even when I tried to see what's so great about them. Dexter Jackson is nowadays easily my favorite bodybuilder. That guy has a perfect physique. Beautiful!
    Unfortunately people can't appreciate that enough.

OoDee

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you OoDee. Thankfully, it seems that lately the focus has started to move away from just the freaky size aspect of bodybuilding. The recent win by Victor Martinez at the Night of Champions seems to prove this. I still think that Coleman should be Mr. Olympia, because no one is in his class. But I believe bodybuilders in the mold of Victor Martinez will be taking the spotlight in the not to distant future.

OoDee, I agree that the judging criteria are very different between the two sports, but athletes are always trying to push the envelope. We may not like what the so-called "progress" looks like, but we cannot expect it to stop.

Once everyone else figures out how Chad got Coleman in shape at 285, they will be following suit. Also, let me add that Coleman is not merely big. I agree that he no longer has the streamlined-midsection look that he sported in his first Olympia win, but the man has unbelievable lines and symmetry for someone who competes at 285(!).

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Look at pics of coleman from 10 years ago. By adding just a few lbs a year the difference is immense. I always tell people that bodybuilding takes years. Even with the most extreme chemical enhancements the body in most cases will only add a few lbs a year.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I agree with OOdee. Arnold was the best because he was aesthetically perfect. He wasn't a beast by modern day standards, but he had the build of a Greek God. Current champions are massive beyond belief, but how many of them have BEAUTIFUL bodies. Not many.

BLAST is offline New Member
    As far a quad's go don't forget Tom Platz...............even Coleman would have to take backseat to him.

DELTA9MDA is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I agree with OOdee. Arnold was the best because he was aesthetically perfect. He wasn't a beast by modern day standards, but he had the build of a Greek God. Current champions are massive beyond belief, but how many of them have BEAUTIFUL bodies. Not many.
    im sorry but this is not the MS. UNIVERSE, it is not a beauty show. bring back Dorian.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA9MDA
    im sorry but this is not the MS. UNIVERSE, it is not a beauty show. bring back Dorian.
    finally someone who agrees, this sport has evolved, like baseball and football, baseball teams dont play on 295foot fields anymore, football players are bigger faster and better than the old, does that make the old crap, no, it makes the obsolete by todays standards, so you can go and bragg about how arnold is the man, and how great he is, but thats then, what about now, now he wouldnt place in a pro contest, now he would be the tiny guy in the gym wishing he was ronnie, ronnie is the best bodybuilder ever, and is years ahead of the curve, its not bc of hgh and steroids , partly, mostly bc of his workethic and effort he puts in... if you wanna see a skinny guy be mr o. go to a ****in abercrombie store, this is about size, and cuts... he has it all and a 32in waiste, stop being haters, hes the man

you are welcome DECABAL, i just dont understand how someone can look at the photos and say that anyone compares to ron(save for dorian). the old timers always say it was better back then. first and foremost it is about muscle. not beauty. im not knocking arnold, but times have changed.

barbarian is offline Banned
    its seems like size is to much of a issue today and most agree, yea its changed but at what cost? i think BB today has sold out and is turning into grabadge in my eyes.. its nothing but a freak show and its leaves inpoasble shoes to fill without the use of so many diff drugs at insane amounts that its planting the seeds into young kids eyes who veiew these people as role models and it tells them only useage in this kind and form will get you this body or get you anywere in BB.. im not dissing but it seems that nobody really in this world has the true genetics to look like these freaks do today without the drugs, the look arnold had is atainable in the matter that you wont have to overload on drugs to get there..........all of these top bbers would be 40lbs or more lighter in lean mass if they didnt have ANY drugs to use and look good but not freaks... todays overuseage of drugs is destroying bb........

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian
    its seems like size is to much of a issue today and most agree, yea its changed but at what cost? i think BB today has sold out and is turning into grabadge in my eyes.. its nothing but a freak show and its leaves inpoasble shoes to fill without the use of so many diff drugs at insane amounts that its planting the seeds into young kids eyes who veiew these people as role models and it tells them only useage in this kind and form will get you this body or get you anywere in BB.. im not dissing but it seems that nobody really in this world has the true genetics to look like these freaks do today without the drugs, the look arnold had is atainable in the matter that you wont have to overload on drugs to get there..........all of these top bbers would be 40lbs or more lighter in lean mass if they didnt have ANY drugs to use and look good but not freaks... todays overuseage of drugs is destroying bb........
    size and condition. yeah, they are on it, so are ALOT of other pros in all other sports, except maybe table tennis. why do you think they are using anymore than previous generations? yes they have slin and gh, but the aas are pretty much the same. you didnt address nutrition.
    race cars go faster than ever now. planes go faster. more power. if you like baseball and enjoy the roiders hitting homers outta there, think what will happen if there is no more juice in baseball. scores and stats will go back to the 60's and 70's. no one wants that after getting used to the performance now. i dont see how juice abuse is destroying bb. there are more pros than ever before. and if the drugs are soo bad, with all pro bb's taking loads, where are all the guys dropping like flyes? how many nascar drivers have died in the past 10 years? how many bb's have died in the past 10 years.
    how is the health of the guys from 10, 20, 30 years ago?
    its called progress. should bb's of today train to be small. sounds stupid dont it. are you going to tell so and so bb'er that he has tolo much muscle, which bb'in is about? THIS AINT A BEAUTY SHOW. THIS AINT GYMNASTICS.
    with or without drugs, i want to see how big and hard i can get. i think ronnie thinks the same too.

LM1332 Guest
    bump for this great topic. I think we should discuss it a little more

houseofpain is offline Banned
    arnold is by far "bodybuilding", if he had access to the things coleman has today he wuld have been WOW.

PJAY71 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofpain
    arnold is by far "bodybuilding", if he had access to the things coleman has today he wuld have been WOW.
    True. Same goes for Oliva. I'd pay to see what they would look like with today's methods!

haaaaaf is offline Junior Member
    I wouldnt want to look like any of those guys. Id rather be the chunky kid i was 5 years ago. But to each his own.

jerseykid23 is offline Junior Member
    This post has been dead for over a year up until a day ago...

LM1332 Guest
    So who cares if its an year old thread its still good topic to discuss. But what i wanted to say is everybody is talking about Arnie been big and huge, Ronnie this and that but nobody every mentions Lou that guy was huge just look over here. And check out cut of his bi on the left arm wow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look at the difference!-fer6.jpg   Look at the difference!-lf106.jpg  

HULKERINE is offline New Member
    Lou is the Man.........

sorry, LOU couldnt cut it in the 70's, and sure as hell not in the 90's. i like his calf implants.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Arnold is not aesthetically perfect IMO. I think Dexter Jackson and Frank Zane are aesthetically perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTA9MDA
    sorry, LOU couldnt cut it in the 70's, and sure as hell not in the 90's. i like his calf implants.
    I'm sure if Lou didn't go Hollywood over bb, the game would've been different back then. Props to big Lou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look at the difference!-ferrig16.jpg   Look at the difference!-ferrig19.jpg   Look at the difference!-ferrig20.jpg  

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Lou was defeated by arnold...

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Lou was defeated by arnold...
    Yes. Well, I'm referring to a post 1975 Olympia Ferrigno.

Here's a nice one of Lou.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PJAY71; 05-18-2004 at 07:19 PM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordero
    BUMP!

Bodybuilding is an extreme sport.It is about taking the human body to new extremes.There is no real 'line' to be drawn here.Sit back and watch the evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by houseofpain

Bullsh*t..that's a big IF.So maybe IF George Bush was smarter maybe the war in Iraq wouldn't have happened?

It isn't just about gear or who's using more than who... Bodybuilding information has evolved so much since the days when arnold use to pop a handful of d-bol and train all day.Don't get me wrong, he was the epitome in his day but that in no way short-changes the accomplishments of today's champions. Do you think if maybe you used what Ronnie uses that you'd be Ronnie? Sh*t no... it's more than gear.

Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    Look at pics of coleman from 10 years ago. By adding just a few lbs a year the difference is immense. I always tell people that bodybuilding takes years. Even with the most extreme chemical enhancements the body in most cases will only add a few lbs a year.
    BUMP!

People seem to forget that

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Sit back and watch the evolution.
    True. Labrada was once speaking on the continuous growth of the gene pool and it's affect on competitive BB. Considering those who pursue BB we'll inevitably witness more massive people to come. [But] of course, as we know, there's no magical gear - it's more than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information