Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by MakinItRain;5***095
    Quick question, where and when in a cutting diet can incorporate some fruit, i feel like im gonna get scurvy at the rate im going lol
    If you're going to eat fruit on a cutting diet, i'd say keep it limited to the first meal of the day, pre workout, and post workout. Not necessarily all 3 mind you, but those are the only 3 meals i'd personally put fruit into. I'd also try and keep the choices somewhat limited; bananas, apples, berries, etc. I'd stay away from the super sweet stuff like pineapple for instance. Just my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper;5***144
    Yeah thanks mate that helps heaps, now I understand... So I glycogen stores are compleaty depleted that would mean you have no glucose left because glucose is used up first before the body turns to glycogen for energy?
    Yes, i'd say that's accurate. You won't have glucose in your system for long no matter what. Insulin will make sure of that. You will either (or a combo of):

a) burn any glucose present in your system with intense activity

b) will be used to restore glycogen in muscle cells and liver

c) if/when glycogen stores are full, any remaining glucose will be stored in fat cells (this is what we try to avoid at all costs)

And is that why in Sgt Hartmans post above about EPOC does he say that during that state the body uses fat stores to burn for energy because the HIIT has used all glucose and glycogen up?
    I believe that's what he was saying, but I'll let him answer.

When will the body then turn to breaking down muscle tissue for energy?
    Very oversimplified answer - when protein balance is off. i.e. not enough present to keep up with demand. Compounded when intense activity is undergone with depleted glycogen stores. Yes fat will be burned as fuel - but tissue breakdown can occur in conjunction.

The goal is to deplete glycogen stores almost completely or as much as possible without going overboard, then refeeding/topping them off and starting over. This is the basic principle behind carb cycling when basing it around workouts (such as in my routine with Nark).
    Painjunky likes this.

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    So if glycogen is depleted would it be correct to say either.

1.) the body prefers to break down muscle tissue for energy?

Or

2.) Use deep fat stores for energy?

Or does it depend on the intensity of the w/o? Like higher intensity prefers muscle tissue whereas low intensity prefers fat stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper;5***208
    So if glycogen is depleted would it be correct to say either.

1.) the body prefers to break down muscle tissue for energy?

Or

2.) Use deep fat stores for energy?

Or does it depend on the intensity of the w/o? Like higher intensity prefers muscle tissue whereas low intensity prefers fat stores?
    I'd say the body 'prefers' to use fat simply because fat has more energy per gram. However realistically, it will do both. Higher intensity requires more than fat can convert to energy quickly enough, which is why it 'prefers' glucose. When glucose isn't present, it can tap into muscle tissue to 'supplement'.

Seriously your a legend... Im daring to say this is the best thread on this site!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper;5***305
    Seriously your a legend... Im daring to say this is the best thread on this site!
    Wow, thanks bro!! I don't think i'm in that league yet, but very nice to have your vote anyway!!

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    As you know, I was stuck at 195 after losing 14 pounds. I went off diet for a couple of days, then got back on it and worked my way down to 192. I am stuck again. Is there a way to know if I have hit a weight that is simply being maintained by my 1800 calories?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    In your cutting 101 thread, what would your thoughts be on moving meal 3 to an hour/hour and a half after meal 4, say 1730. I've found lately I like to train on empty stomach and think that that meal would be better suited to this time.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    This thread is great...

Im gonna keep dropping in questions that I know you can answer. Things that will make the first pages of this thread really strong... If that is ok with you?

What are the advantages/ disadvantages to 'simple' vs 'complex' carbs PWO?
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Rya
    Rya is offline Junior Member
    Thought these would be good questions for the thread, the top one I pretty much know the answer to, the second I have no clue.

What is the difference between concentrate/isolate/hydrolised whey and at what point of the day should they be consumed. Should these different types be mixed?

What is the difference between calcium casienate and micellar casein?

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75;5***188
    If you're going to eat fruit on a cutting diet, i'd say keep it limited to the first meal of the day, pre workout, and post workout. Not necessarily all 3 mind you, but those are the only 3 meals i'd personally put fruit into. I'd also try and keep the choices somewhat limited; bananas, apples, berries, etc. I'd stay away from the super sweet stuff like pineapple for instance. Just my personal preference.
    Pineapple is probably one of the best fruit sources because its so potent in bromelain. Its also high in VitC and manganese. If its the GI of pineapple that puts you off, it should never be eaten alone. The shifts in insulin it will cause will be vastly reduced when consmed with a protein and fat source.

Berries (all), bannana, pineapple (although it f*cks my tongue up), kiwi's, acai berry's, watermelon, oranges, apples, fruit smoothe's make up my fruits sources.

Startchy carbs PWO. Sweet/white potatoes, grains, brown rice, oats.

Good idea on fruits pre-WO, PWO. I think if one's trying to get into condition, the majority of carbs should be consumed around this time.

Just adding something GB, I know its your thread and I mean in no way to be antagonistic mate. I know there are a million ways to skin a cat. But excellent info here.

Yeah thanks mate that helps heaps, now I understand... So I glycogen stores are compleaty depleted that would mean you have no glucose left because glucose is used up first before the body turns to glycogen for energy?

And is that why in Sgt Hartmans post above about EPOC does he say that during that state the body uses fat stores to burn for energy because the HIIT has used all glucose and glycogen up?

When will the body then turn to breaking down muscle tissue for energy?
    Yes that's correct, your body will first use glucose in the bloodstream for fuel (like when you consume complex carbs pre WO) and when it is gone it will turn to muscle and liver glycogen.

As far as EPOC, if all of your glycogen stores have been depleted, replenishing them will be one of your bodies top priorities, so the theory is that you will store whatever glucose is available as glycogen and turn to fat to use for energy whether it be dietary fat or stored body fat. Keep in mind that a few hours after HIIT would be the absolute worst time for another cardio session or weight training b/c if there is a need for large amounts of glucose, and it's unavailable, LBM could be broken down (gluconeogenesis) to use for fuel.

IMO the body using muscle tissue for energy is way overhyped. Unless you're at a very low BF% (single digits at most) or have an extremely high amount of LBM that's very difficult for you to maintain, or do something ignorant like mentioned above, burning LBM for fuel is not a huge issue. Remember that converting muscle tissue to glucose is a very complex process that is extremely calorically expensive. Something like 30% - 50% of the calories from the lean tissue will be spent simply converting it to glucose, so this is something that the body will only do as a last resort (unless you're starving yourself), ie. if you have BF available it would be the preferred fuel source.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas;5***465
    As you know, I was stuck at 195 after losing 14 pounds. I went off diet for a couple of days, then got back on it and worked my way down to 192. I am stuck again. Is there a way to know if I have hit a weight that is simply being maintained by my 1800 calories?
    IMO you need to be consist with your caloric intake for at least 2 weeks before deciding whether to adjust... I have made the mistake too many times of prematurely bumping calories up or down, based on a whim, or paranoia... never really knowing if what I was doing at the moment was truly working towards my goals or not. How long have you been 'stuck'?

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta;5***508
    In your cutting 101 thread, what would your thoughts be on moving meal 3 to an hour/hour and a half after meal 4, say 1730. I've found lately I like to train on empty stomach and think that that meal would be better suited to this time.
    No biggie. I'm not a big stickler for meal times... as long as you're eating and hitting your macros, I don't get overly concerned with whether meals are eaten 2 or 4 hours apart, just as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9;5***604
    This thread is great...

Im gonna keep dropping in questions that I know you can answer. Things that will make the first pages of this thread really strong... If that is ok with you?
    Definitely bro! Questions that you already know the answer to and/or you and I have discussed may be completely new to others reading, so by all means, post away!

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9;5***604
    What are the advantages/ disadvantages to 'simple' vs 'complex' carbs PWO?
    I can give the 'canned'/widely accepted info, or my personal opinion based on my own experiences and what I've seen. I'm going with the latter, because you can read the former anywhere!

As some of you probably know by now, i'm not a fan of simple carbs PWO, particularly with a cutting diet. Ingesting simple carbs will quickly raise blood glucose levels and trigger a big insulin release. When taken along with protein (which IMO always should be), the glucose, amino's and other nutrients are 'swept up' and shuttled into depleted muscle cells.

That's all well and good when we believe that the muscles are ABSOLUTELY STARVED of nutrition and MUST be replenished immediately. I don't subscribe to that theory however. I am also not in the business of selling supplements/protein powders to people. There are studies that show the 'anabolic window' PWO actually increases (protein synthesis, nutrient uptake) several hours PWO... contrary to the accepted mantra that 'after 1 hour it magically shuts'. As such, complex carbs will also cause an insulin release, but in a much more controlled manner, keeping blood glucose levels more stable and regulated. This, to me, is a better option vs. spiking insulin... then crashing an hour later... which ALWAYS happened to me. I would crash so hard, I actually went to the dr. to be checked for hypoglycemia (this was years ago). Also, if you go along with the idea of the anabolic window being MORE sensitive several hours PWO, it would make more sense to use complex carbs as they will burn slower and benefit you longer.

When I was running my IF diet, I was training fasted (BCAA's only), and STILL delaying my PWO meal for several hours (simply because I workout at 5:30am, and want my 8 hour feeding window to end right before going to bed at night). Based on the 'muscle starving PWO' theory, I should have been catabolic as hell. Not only skipping PWO nutrition, but having trained FASTED - 16 hours!! Well, quite the opposite. I had some of the most intense training sessions of my life, and got stronger with each workout. Literally beat the previous week's record, every week. That's enough to convince me.

One last thing on this (I know i'm rambling/digressing now) - some people do fine with simple carbs PWO. People like me who were overweight for 15 years probably don't. I made myself insulin resistant during those years, so a bunch of sugar welled up in my bloodstream isn't going to benefit me. Even for people who do well with simple carbs PWO, I am not a fan of ingesting pure sugar - i.e. dextrose, maltodextrin, etc. I'd suggest 50/50 simple/complex, with the simple carbs coming from fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya;5***678
    Thought these would be good questions for the thread, the top one I pretty much know the answer to, the second I have no clue.

What is the difference between concentrate/isolate/hydrolised whey and at what point of the day should they be consumed. Should these different types be mixed?
    What is the difference between calcium casienate and micellar casein?[/QUOTE]

I won't go into detail on how whey proteins are processed, but to keep it short and sweet:

Isolate is a purer form of whey protein, containing very little lactose and fat. It usually contains 90% protein, or more

Concentrate contains less actual protein, and typically higher in lactose and fat.

To make hydrolised whey, enzymes are used to 'pre digest' the protein. The protein is broken down into peptides which are absorbed and utilized by your body extremely fast (and whey itself is already very fast digesting). In my experience, the stuff tastes like sh*t!!

Micellar casein is a superior (and therefore more expensive) form of casein vs. calcium caseinate. Caseinate is somewhat denatured during processing due to the chemicals used to purify it. Micellar does not use this same chemical process.

Wikipedia has some decent info on each if you care to look it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto;5***688
    Pineapple is probably one of the best fruit sources because its so potent in bromelain. Its also high in VitC and manganese. If its the GI of pineapple that puts you off, it should never be eaten alone. The shifts in insulin it will cause will be vastly reduced when consmed with a protein and fat source.
    I don't pay much attention to GI tbh, i'm just not a big fan of sugar on a cutting diet. I supplement every meal with bromelain - imo, why get the extra sugar/calories when I can still get the benefits of bromelain without all of that?

Again, i'm not against fruits (to an extent), I have changed my views on this over time, but I would still stick with certain fruits over others... mainly due to nutritional content vs. sugar content.

Berries (all), bannana, pineapple (although it f*cks my tongue up), kiwi's, acai berry's, watermelon, oranges, apples, fruit smoothe's make up my fruits sources.
    I pretty much stick with bananas and apples... also enjoy grapefruit (surprised I don't see that on your list!) and various berries. lol, what does pineapple do to your tongue? Does it leave that almost 'carbonated' feeling... like it's fizzing?

Startchy carbs PWO. Sweet/white potatoes, grains, brown rice, oats.
    x2. This is much more along the lines of my PWO carbs (well, usually oats due to convenience)

Good idea on fruits pre-WO, PWO. I think if one's trying to get into condition, the majority of carbs should be consumed around this time.
    One of my staple preworkout meals is 1/2 cup (dry) oats w/ 1/2 banana. Sometimes 1/2 cup blueberries as well... love it!!

Just adding something GB, I know its your thread and I mean in no way to be antagonistic mate. I know there are a million ways to skin a cat. But excellent info here.
    Not taken that way at all mate! By all means, if you see something you disagree with, have a differing opinion, etc. - jump right in. It's how I learn, it's how the board learns. Hell, a year ago I was dead set against fruits in a cutting diet. That's the great thing about this game... it requires an open mind and progressive way of thinking. Trying new things, accepting that you may have been wrong in the past, etc.

Thx Swift!

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75;5***741
    I pretty much stick with bananas and apples... also enjoy grapefruit (surprised I don't see that on your list!) and various berries. lol, what does pineapple do to your tongue? Does it leave that almost 'carbonated' feeling... like it's fizzing?
    Grapefruit also causes sores on my tongue (burning sensation). Much like pineapple. So I limit my intake to quick small glasses of juice if I decide to consume them.

Its from the acidicty of grapefruit/pineapple. I dont get it from anything else.

Lemons, oranges, lime's, all fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75;5***741
    IMO you need to be consist with your caloric intake for at least 2 weeks before deciding whether to adjust... I have made the mistake too many times of prematurely bumping calories up or down, based on a whim, or paranoia... never really knowing if what I was doing at the moment was truly working towards my goals or not. How long have you been 'stuck'?
    Stuck at 192 for almost two weeks. Every day I weight somewhere between 192 and 193. Was stuck at 195 for two weeks. All on the same diet.

That sucks for you, lol... because although I try to stay away from pineapple for the most part, it's my absolute favorite fruit, BY FAR!!! That's some delicious sh!t right there...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas;5***857
    Stuck at 192 for almost two weeks. Every day I weight somewhere between 192 and 193. Was stuck at 195 for two weeks. All on the same diet.
    You might consider adjusting your cardio before the diet... an extra 20 mins/day, or an additional session a few days a week can be enough to make a difference. It's an easy adjustment that won't require any major changes. If that doesn't work, time to look at the diet as a whole imo.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75;5***861
    You might consider adjusting your cardio before the diet... an extra 20 mins/day, or an additional session a few days a week can be enough to make a difference. It's an easy adjustment that won't require any major changes. If that doesn't work, time to look at the diet as a whole imo.
    Noooooooooo! Crap, OK, I will give more cardio a try. Truth is, I had decided to go from 30 minutes to 45 but haven't done it yet.

30 mins of cardio/day isn't very much to be honest, imo. I'd be doing at least 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman;5***719
    IMO the body using muscle tissue for energy is way overhyped. Unless you're at a very low BF% (single digits at most) or have an extremely high amount of LBM that's very difficult for you to maintain, or do something ignorant like mentioned above, burning LBM for fuel is not a huge issue. Remember that converting muscle tissue to glucose is a very complex process that is extremely calorically expensive. Something like 30% - 50% of the calories from the lean tissue will be spent simply converting it to glucose, so this is something that the body will only do as a last resort (unless you're starving yourself), ie. if you have BF available it would be the preferred fuel source.
    EXCELLENT point... and one I failed to mention. Thanks Sgt.!!!

What are your thoughts on sipping on BCAA's during cardio after a massive weight session... Like your 101 thread says if your really worried about being catabolic it's ok to drink it. I was just reading the label of my brand of BCAA's and although it's calorie free it's says it's go 220g sodium per serve...

Will u hold that much water because of it and is that something to be concerned of when cutting?

Also thanks Sgt. For clearing that up. But on e in the state of EPOC is counter productive eating for a certain period of time after the exercise because your body will be using the energy from the food you've just eaten?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    What are your thoughts on sipping on BCAA's during cardio after a massive weight session... Like your 101 thread says if your really worried about being catabolic it's ok to drink it. I was just reading the label of my brand of BCAA's and although it's calorie free it's says it's go 220g sodium per serve...

Will u hold that much water because of it and is that something to be concerned of when cutting?
    No problem on the BCAA's... great idea before fasted cardio, and after if you don't plan to eat right away.

If you're worried about sodium, find a different brand (what brand are you looking at?) - but to be honest, unless you're very low bodyfat ( < 10%), water retention is a very overblown 'issue' imho. In other words, don't go dumping a pile of salt on your food, simply because it's unhealthy - but don't sweat sodium on account of worrying about 'bloating'.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75;5***951
    30 mins of cardio/day isn't very much to be honest, imo. I'd be doing at least 45.
    I can eat the same things every day for months. I can stick to my lifting plan. I can inject Test. Cardio, however, is my weakness. Just doing 30 minutes a day four days a week was a huge improvement for me. Time to improve again.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Hey GB you're doing such a good job responding to people's questions! I've always got my eye on this thread lol I have a few more questions that I'd like to run by you..

1) my girlfriend is gluten intolerant. I was wondering what your thoughts are on oats containing gluten? I have done alot of research into this myself but would still like your opinion.

2) I am approaching the last few weeks of my cutting diet and I wish to go into a clean bulking diet. What would be the best way going from a caloric deficit into a caloric surplus? I'm guessing it should be done over some weeks but what do you think is the best way to make the transition?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I can eat the same things every day for months. I can stick to my lifting plan. I can inject Test. Cardio, however, is my weakness. Just doing 30 minutes a day four days a week was a huge improvement for me. Time to improve again.
    Definitely! That's what this game is all about... continuous improvement and progression. Unless you already have the body of your dreams, then up is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by boxa06 View Post
    Hey GB you're doing such a good job responding to people's questions! I've always got my eye on this thread lol I have a few more questions that I'd like to run by you..
    Thanks man!! I'm trying

1) my girlfriend is gluten intolerant. I was wondering what your thoughts are on oats containing gluten? I have done alot of research into this myself but would still like your opinion.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're asking re: my thoughts... I mean, yea... oats contain gluten... but there are gluten free oats available as well. I'd order a container and see how she does with those.

2) I am approaching the last few weeks of my cutting diet and I wish to go into a clean bulking diet. What would be the best way going from a caloric deficit into a caloric surplus? I'm guessing it should be done over some weeks but what do you think is the best way to make the transition?
    I'd probably eat at maintenance for a few weeks and let your body 'level off', then start adding the calories. How much of a surplus do you plan to add? When you do, I assume it will come mostly via carbs. I'd start with the pre and pwo meals, and then depending on how much more of an increase you plan, add evenly across other meals.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

1) my girlfriend is gluten intolerant. I was wondering what your thoughts are on oats containing gluten? I have done alot of research into this myself but would still like your opinion.
    Not sure what you're asking re: my thoughts... I mean, yea... oats contain gluten... but there are gluten free oats available as well. I'd order a container and see how she does with those.

I'd probably eat at maintenance for a few weeks and let your body 'level off', then start adding the calories. How much of a surplus do you plan to add? When you do, I assume it will come mostly via carbs. I'd start with the pre and pwo meals, and then depending on how much more of an increase you plan, add evenly across other meals.[/QUOTE]

My first question was just to see your thoughts on oats because the gluten found in oats is different to the gluten found in pasta, bread etc. But ignore this question.

Currently I'm eating at about 400 calories below maintenance. So 2 weeks at maintanance would be good? What would you suggest as a good surplus? Will be on a test e cycle so would that make a difference to the surplus as to doing it naturally?

Dam there's a lot of questions bro! Is there a limit of questions per post or something lol

My first question was just to see your thoughts on oats because the gluten found in oats is different to the gluten found in pasta, bread etc. But ignore this question.
    Gotcha now! Has she eaten regular oats recently, and if so how does she handle them? If she seems ok, then no point in buying special oats. If she shows similar issues like when she eats breads, pasta, etc (even if the gluten is different), then switch it up to gluten free and see how that goes.

Currently I'm eating at about 400 calories below maintenance. So 2 weeks at maintanance would be good? What would you suggest as a good surplus? Will be on a test e cycle so would that make a difference to the surplus as to doing it naturally?
    2 weeks minimum. 3-4 would be best imo. That'll also give you a better idea if that's TRULY your maintenance, because i bet you don't know for sure, right (most people don't, me included)?

Assuming a clean diet, i'd say 500/day max, but with the gear you can bump that up - I still wouldn't go over 750. Remember that I was able to GAIN <> 15lbs on cycle, while eating at the exact same caloric intake - a deficit - that got me down to 177lbs pre cycle. The point being you don't need a massive amount of calories necessarily, just an efficient nutrient partitioning system. Granted, I am/was on tren + test, bit of a different animal than just test alone, to say the least lol!

Dam there's a lot of questions bro! Is there a limit of questions per post or something lol
    lol, no worries! I started the thread and am happy to keep it moving.

No problem on the BCAA's... great idea before fasted cardio, and after if you don't plan to eat right away.

If you're worried about sodium, find a different brand (what brand are you looking at?) - but to be honest, unless you're very low bodyfat ( < 10%), water retention is a very overblown 'issue' imho. In other words, don't go dumping a pile of salt on your food, simply because it's unhealthy - but don't sweat sodium on account of worrying about 'bloating'.
    No worries just wanted to make sure it's not an issue, I use a brand called Scivaition and it's called Extend... I'm looking at differant ways I can clean up my diet a little more. I might PM you soon. Thanks mate

No worries just wanted to make sure it's not an issue, I use a brand called Scivaition and it's called Extend... I'm looking at differant ways I can clean up my diet a little more. I might PM you soon. Thanks mate
    Np, i'm currently using Xtend by Scivation as well, but switching back to Purple Wraath as soon as this tub is out. Nothing beats it imo.

Gotcha now! Has she eaten regular oats recently, and if so how does she handle them? If she seems ok, then no point in buying special oats. If she shows similar issues like when she eats breads, pasta, etc (even if the gluten is different), then switch it up to gluten free and see how that goes.

2 weeks minimum. 3-4 would be best imo. That'll also give you a better idea if that's TRULY your maintenance, because i bet you don't know for sure, right (most people don't, me included)?

Assuming a clean diet, i'd say 500/day max, but with the gear you can bump that up - I still wouldn't go over 750. Remember that I was able to GAIN <> 15lbs on cycle, while eating at the exact same caloric intake - a deficit - that got me down to 177lbs pre cycle. The point being you don't need a massive amount of calories necessarily, just an efficient nutrient partitioning system. Granted, I am/was on tren + test, bit of a different animal than just test alone, to say the least lol!

lol, no worries! I started the thread and am happy to keep it moving.
    She's eaten oats recently and she says she feels bloated but doesn't look it.. I recon it's in her head! I realized after I posted the question that I'm gonna give up on trying to make her eat oats. They're just so good I recon everyone should have them! Lol

Thanks for all the advice about the transition. I think I'll follow exactly what you did as I'd like to stay as lean as possible while I bulk. Every week I'll re evaluate my diet and post it up to make sure I'm in the right direction.

Thanks again GB!

Np, i'm currently using Xtend by Scivation as well, but switching back to Purple Wraath as soon as this tub is out. Nothing beats it imo.
    What's the Differance? Less sodium?

She's eaten oats recently and she says she feels bloated but doesn't look it.. I recon it's in her head! I realized after I posted the question that I'm gonna give up on trying to make her eat oats. They're just so good I recon everyone should have them! Lol

Thanks for all the advice about the transition. I think I'll follow exactly what you did as I'd like to stay as lean as possible while I bulk. Every week I'll re evaluate my diet and post it up to make sure I'm in the right direction.

Thanks again GB!
    Sounds good bro, keep us posted! Oh, and agreed - oats are the fvcking bomb!

What's the Differance? Less sodium?
    I didn't pay attention to sodium content - but I like the taste better, and how it mixes - I find Xtend a bit too 'soft' and powdery. Purple Wraath is a bit grittier, which most people don't like, but I do. Also, it has a little bonus thrown in - a bit of beta alanine... hey, I enjoy the pins and needles!

Thanks again GB!
    Not to hijack your thread again GB, but I unfortunately happen to know a little about this - I have a 4 yr old with gluten intolerance.

Oats do not naturally contain gluten. But, most oats are processed in the same facilities where wheat and other gluten containing products are processed, so unless the oats came from Earth Fare or Whole Foods, etc. and specifically say "Gluten Free", they have some gluten in them. For my kid, even a small trace amount like that is enough to really screw him up.

^^ no worries, good info. @Box - with this in mind, don't chance it bro - if she's gonna eat oats, buy gluten free.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Bulking/ cutting vs slow LBM gains

Your views on what is right for who?
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Bulking/ cutting vs slow LBM gains

Your views on what is right for who?
    I'm not a huge fan of bulking in the traditional sense. I define bulking as adding an extraordinary amount of weight in a relatively short timeframe, a good portion of which will be body fat and water, as well as some muscle provided the workouts are stimulating growth. The inherent problem with this is that once any appreciable gains are made, the person is usually too fat to see anything! Then they have to cut for usually several months to strip the body fat - and wind up losing most of the muscle.

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember Fireguy telling a story about how he bulked (in his younger years) for a few months, added X amount of weight (let's say 25lbs), then had to cut for several months, and when all was said and done he yielded 1lb of actual LBM increase. Was that really worth it? imo, no - and you can ask FG about his views on bulking as well.

I will concede that there are people who can get away with eating a bulking type diet without getting fat. Usually the 'hardgainer' types... the ectomorphs can often eat a massive amount of calories without adding much if any bodyfat. I personally know some who eat complete garbage (i'm talking chips, cakes, etc) as a regular part of their diet and still remain < 10%... it's sick! With clean foods, many of these people can stand to make great gains on a 'bulk' diet. These are the only types imo who are suited to a typical bulk type diet.

Slow LBM gains... this is more up my alley - and most people IMO. Nobody wants to travel the straight and narrow path, the slow and steady... but if you can add lean mass and maintain a low bodyfat (and you can), then why not do that and look good all year round? To me, it's a no brainer.

I used to be ok with the idea of 'sloppy' gains, because I looked kinda big in clothes. When the clothes came off though, it was a different story. I know this is true for about 95% of people in the gyms too... all of these 'big' guys walking around... I guarantee most of them look like sh!t and wouldn't feel comfortable on a beach with their sloppy bellies and bitch tits... so I started to change my mindset about it all... sloppy gains (i.e. hiding under bodyfat to look 'big') was no longer acceptable for me. Sure, cutting up made me look smaller in clothes, to me you'd never even knew I worked out... but at least I could take my shirt off at ANY time and it would shut people up (not bragging or saying I look great... i'm just saying that it would shock people who didn't think I worked out). I want to be lean all year round... I will add mass slowly... if it's a few pounds a year, so be it. With a lean physique, a few lbs will be clearly visible.

This type of dieting benefits people who are prone to gaining bodyfat... I think most of us fit in this category. Also people who may have been fat in the past but managed to get 'thin' and now have an interest in bodybuilding.... bulking is not for them imo.

overnightworker21 is offline Junior Member
    Curious about your thoughts on a lean pork loin in place of chicken breast a couple times a week?

I don't see an issue with this but then again, I know very little about proper dieting as of yet. Thats why I request your vast knowledge on the subject...

I recently made some pork loin that is absolutely the best I have ever eaten and I love it. Being that I want to drop bf should I stay away from it?

Nutrition info:
    4oz pork has 160 cal, 4g of fat 0 from saturated fats, and 28g protein
    whereas
    4oz boneless skinless chicken has 110 cal, 2.5g fat 0 saturated, and 23g protein.

Looks to me like a no brainer and can be switched back and forth when ever, plus the pork (the other white meat) has a 50 more calories and a few more grams of protein to help me reach my TDEE easier with same amount of food.

Thoughts o' wise one?

Quote Originally Posted by overnightworker21 View Post
    Curious about your thoughts on a lean pork loin in place of chicken breast a couple times a week?

I don't see an issue with this but then again, I know very little about proper dieting as of yet. Thats why I request your vast knowledge on the subject...
    No problem. You could sub it for chicken every time if you want. Some cuts of pork are even leaner than chicken, believe it or not. Center cut boneless pork loin is the way to go. My 'mentor' Narkissos eats pork as his primary protein source... rarely eats chicken... and people here who know him know he has an awesome physique.... so THUMBS UP to pork!!!

I recently made some pork loin that is absolutely the best I have ever eaten and I love it. Being that I want to drop bf should I stay away from it?
    Ok - you're only allowed to eat pork if you share this recipe with us!!!

Nutrition info:
    4oz pork has 160 cal, 4g of fat 0 from saturated fats, and 28g protein
    whereas
    4oz boneless skinless chicken has 110 cal, 2.5g fat 0 saturated, and 23g protein.
    Remember these are rough estimates at best. I've seen pork with 1g fat per 4oz. Make sure you buy it lean, and then trim all the visible fat - you'll be gtg.

Looks to me like a no brainer and can be switched back and forth when ever, plus the pork (the other white meat) has a 50 more calories and a few more grams of protein to help me reach my TDEE easier with same amount of food.

Thoughts o' wise one?
    lol... u must be talking to somebody else!!!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    don't know what formula is on the new sticky but that is what i used to get my TDEE. go check it out if you get a chance and let me know what ya think.

Sorry I didn't get my question answered before by Sgt. or maybe you can answer it GB

When in the state of EPOC is it counter productive eating for a certain period of time after the exercise because your body will be using the energy from the food you've just eaten instead of the fat stores to replace glycogen levels?

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread Information