Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Yeah definitely makes sense. Thanks bud! Actually i have used livestrong and also i believe i've used that thread for like the lentils, pb, and olive oil. Thanks again!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    Yeah definitely makes sense. Thanks bud! Actually i have used livestrong and also i believe i've used that thread for like the lentils, pb, and olive oil. Thanks again!
    No problem!!

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    Just wondering if anyone found any info on how coffee raises the cortisol hormone?

Haven't really bothered to look further into this one tbh. Take the lead on it Dr, let's see what you can come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Haven't really bothered to look further into this one tbh. Take the lead on it Dr, let's see what you can come up with!
    Ok mate will do

Ok first of all don't hate on me if I'm getting this wrong... It's just what I found. Here we go!

Cortisol is a steroid hormone. Cortisol is termed catabolic as it has the opposite effect to testosterone , insulin and growth hormone in that it breaks down tissue.

In fact cortisol, which is released by the adrenal glands under conditions of high mental and physical stress and high temperature, is the body's primary catabolic hormone. The three main functions of cortisol are:

-The reduction of protein synthesis.

-The facilitation of protein to glucose.

-The halting of tissue growth.

It is therefore essential that cortisol release is controlled if one is to facilitate muscle growth. As well as being released under conditions of stress and high temperature cortisol is also released first thing in the morning. Morning aerobics have been thought to be effective for this reason.

However this is misguided thinking because exercising on an empty stomach first thing in the morning has been shown to actually intensify cortisol's effects thus resulting in further muscle loss, and consequently metabolic resistance to body fat loss.

As little as 2-3 cups of coffee per day can elevate cortisol levels due to the stimulating effect of caffeine...

I high lighted what I thought was interesting... Dont know how much truth there is to it though? Also two-three coffee's a day, well I'm there. Should I be worried?

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    HI gbrice!

1. In your 101 cutting thread, in the sample diet where you have only macros. 4th meal is like a real meal?

2.Shake comes with after cardio and before 4th meal and you don't count it in?

3.So consuming fats and carbs togehther is okay , but you need to have just little bit fats and more carbs, for example 60g carbs and 10g fats?

4. I read the lable on the ketchup that I use on my chicken and so on, it had like 20 g carbs in 100 g. Can I use ketchup when I cut? If not , how I can replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Ok first of all don't hate on me if I'm getting this wrong... It's just what I found. Here we go!
    Never that!! You find what you find... and then we discuss it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Cortisol is a steroid hormone. Cortisol is termed catabolic as it has the opposite effect to testosterone , insulin and growth hormone in that it breaks down tissue.

In fact cortisol, which is released by the adrenal glands under conditions of high mental and physical stress and high temperature, is the body's primary catabolic hormone. The three main functions of cortisol are:

-The reduction of protein synthesis.

-The facilitation of protein to glucose.

-The halting of tissue growth.

It is therefore essential that cortisol release is controlled if one is to facilitate muscle growth. As well as being released under conditions of stress and high temperature cortisol is also released first thing in the morning. Morning aerobics have been thought to be effective for this reason.

However this is misguided thinking because exercising on an empty stomach first thing in the morning has been shown to actually intensify cortisol's effects thus resulting in further muscle loss, and consequently metabolic resistance to body fat loss.

As little as 2-3 cups of coffee per day can elevate cortisol levels due to the stimulating effect of caffeine...

I high lighted what I thought was interesting... Dont know how much truth there is to it though? Also two-three coffee's a day, well I'm there. Should I be worried?
    Honestly I don't have much of a problem with most of what's stated here - alot is true, to an extent. The problem I have is that they don't discuss the benefits (and necessity) of cortisol. If it were nothing but a 'bad' hormone, don't you (collectively speaking) think that over time, our bodies would have done away with it?

The key word here is ELEVATED levels of cortisol... that's where things can go wrong imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOnes View Post
    HI gbrice!
    *wave* !!

1. In your 101 cutting thread, in the sample diet where you have only macros. 4th meal is like a real meal?
    I count all listed meals as 'real' meals.

2.Shake comes with after cardio and before 4th meal and you don't count it in?
    Count it as in what... towards my daily totals? I most certainly do!

3.So consuming fats and carbs togehther is okay , but you need to have just little bit fats and more carbs, for example 60g carbs and 10g fats?
    It's definitely ok. I prefer to have one macro dominant over the other though, vs. both being heavy in one meal. And even when fat is the dominant macro, I try to keep it relatively low - i.e. I see no need ever for a meal containing 50g fat.

4. I read the lable on the ketchup that I use on my chicken and so on, it had like 20 g carbs in 100 g. Can I use ketchup when I cut? If not , how I can replace it?
    Ketchup is SUPER high in sugar, and usually that's in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup - that's some nasty crap. If you're going to use ketchup, try to do so sparingly. They do make sugar free ketchup - you can find it online pretty easily. Granted it doesn't taste like Heinz, but you'll get used to it.

Better question is why are you eating ketchup with chicken ... sounds fvcking vile, lol!!

Ok ty for answering , so how I could replace ketchup, is tabasco ok or hot sauces in general?

I'm mostly looking for sauce or replacement of ketchup for meats?

I use hot sauce alot. Mustard... horseradish, etc...

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Got to page 3 and had to re-group since so much info here. I am going to print out this entire thread. Understanding all of this is like doing my dissertation for my doctorate!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Got to page 3 and had to re-group since so much info here. I am going to print out this entire thread. Understanding all of this is like doing my dissertation for my doctorate!
    Lmao!!!

Glad it's keeping you engaged SM!!

I'm currently using thease macros: 246 g prot, 122 g carbs, 44 g fats, 2265 cals. My weight is around 83-84 kg.

I'm currently waiting that I will get money onto my bank account so I will be attending gym next week.

1. If my weight loss stops next week , should I deflict 300-500 calories , from fats and carbs?

I have been dieting for over 4 months, my weight has dropped from 90-91 kg to 82.5-83 kg.

I'm training 4 times a week and doing cardio 4 times a week 65 % max heart rate on treadmill.

2. I've taken 2.5 break from gym due to tests and being sick. When I'm having long break like this from gym should I run my macros on maintenance level? Or should I continue using same macros?

3. To which extend should I drop my carbs and fat?

I don't really want to run a low carb or low fat diet, because those diets are pretty unhealthy in my mind.
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 11-02-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Well look at mister GBrice. Taking over this forum. Everywhere I look... lol.

Great info as always man.

I'm currently using thease macros: 246 g prot, 122 g carbs, 44 g fats, 2265 cals. My weight is around 83-84 kg.
    Cals might be a tad high for cutting at your weight... is this your macro split 7 days/week?

I'm currently waiting that I will get money onto my bank account so I will be attending gym next week.

1. If my weight loss stops next week , should I deflict 300-500 calories , from fats and carbs?
    I'd look to up cardio and/or activity before reducing calories further... that is once you find the right caloric level that's facilitating healthy/steady fat loss.

I have been dieting for over 4 months, my weight has dropped from 90-91 kg to 82.5-83 kg.
    Talk to me in lbs...

I'm training 4 times a week and doing cardio 4 times a week 65 % max heart rate on treadmill.

2. I've taken 2.5 break from gym due to tests and being sick. When I'm having long break like this from gym should I run my macros on maintenance level? Or should I continue using same macros?
    You're cutting, right?

3. To which extend should I drop my carbs and fat?
    Can't answer this yet

I don't really want to run a low carb or low fat diet, because those diets are pretty unhealthy in my mind.
    All in context. I want to reiterate that we should keep most if not all of this in your own thread, as I don't want this one turning into a personal consultation thread. It's a general informational thread/Q&A mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    Well look at mister GBrice. Taking over this forum. Everywhere I look... lol.

Great info as always man.
    Haha, thanks brother! Most of the guys I looked to for advice when I got here don't frequent the board much anymore... somebody had to step up and I felt I was up to task!

Good to see you back around here though, it's been a minute.

texasmk4 is offline Associate Member
    Afternoon GB, how do you figure out the calories/carb/s fat macro for each day since you cook ur food in bulk???
    Last edited by texasmk4; 11-02-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Yes I'm cutting and yes I'm running those macros 7 days a week.

My weight dropped from 198 lbs to 182 lbs in 4 months.

So you told me that I should look up into activity levels before changing calories.

1. Should I change my cardio duration or should I add more intensity or should I add extra cardio session?

2. Also, when I feel that need to drop calories , is the general rule to drop 300-500 calories from carbs and fats?

I consume fruits in the morning is it a bad thing for dieting , or should I just rely on multivitamin?
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 11-03-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4 View Post
    Afternoon GB, how do you figure out the calories/carb/s fat macro for each day since you cook ur food in bulk???
    For one of my meals, I'm planning to eat 6oz (roughly 36g protein) of beef for 7 days straight, i'll weigh out 42oz beef, cook, then reweigh (weight changes during cooking as water is lost). Once I know my new weight, I divide by number of portions - in the example, 7 - and there I have my serving size.

Same deal with carbs - if you cook rice, and a serving size is 1/2 cup dry, measure out however much you need, cook it off, weigh the finished product, divide by number of servings.

Pretty easy, right? Does this answer your question?

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    Awesome thanks for that link for the food macros and shopping list! This is what I wanted... the good thing is eat alot of that stuff on the list anyways. Id say I eat pretty healthy considering I dont plan my meals at all. Im gonna send you some pics later GB so you can help me out maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
    Awesome thanks for that link for the food macros and shopping list! This is what I wanted... the good thing is eat alot of that stuff on the list anyways. Id say I eat pretty healthy considering I dont plan my meals at all. Im gonna send you some pics later GB so you can help me out maybe.
    No prob bro. Don't get offended if I don't respond right away. I am very busy these days with an infant in the house and trying to keep my own thing together. Personal consultation is becoming increasingly difficult to upkeep!!

hsvcraig is offline Associate Member
    Hey gbrice.... I love honey oats but no doubt there high in sugar and fat. I dnt mind the fat, will this be less beneficial for bulking compared to normal oats that dnt have the sugar n fat content. Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by hsvcraig View Post
    Hey gbrice.... I love honey oats but no doubt there high in sugar and fat. I dnt mind the fat, will this be less beneficial for bulking compared to normal oats that dnt have the sugar n fat content. Cheers mate
    What are honey oats?

Assuming they have more fat and sugar - I don't think they'd be any less beneficial for bulking, but they will probably be less beneficial with minimizing fat gains.

I use plain oats, and sweeten with splenda and cinnamon. Add a banana and/or blueberries. Love it!!!

chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    gbrice have you looked into wheat grass like I had mentioned before? 2 servings is equivalent to 8 lbs of green veggies. Simplifies things a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    gbrice have you looked into wheat grass like I had mentioned before? 2 servings is equivalent to 8 lbs of green veggies. Simplifies things a lot more.
    Actually, I did - quite extensively. I wound up taking it a bit further - in detail here:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...3#.TrRAOpviHBI posts 114 and 115

Thanks for the initial suggestion bro!

chi
    Actually, I did - quite extensively. I wound up taking it a bit further - in detail here:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...3#.TrRAOpviHBI posts 114 and 115

Thanks for the initial suggestion bro!

Awesome G Child!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

What are honey oats?

Assuming they have more fat and sugar - I don't think they'd be any less beneficial for bulking, but they will probably be less beneficial with minimizing fat gains.

I use plain oats, and sweeten with splenda and cinnamon. Add a banana and/or blueberries. Love it!!!
    Thanks alot for that n sorry it's actually porridge but same same I think. I only asked coz I still dnt understand how insulin spikes work in regards to muscle growth. Thanks for your time I appreciate it

Thanks alot for that n sorry it's actually porridge but same same I think. I only asked coz I still dnt understand how insulin spikes work in regards to muscle growth. Thanks for your time I appreciate it
    No worries. You actually got me going, lol - I just made a bowl of oats and instead of splenda, sweetened with honey. INSANE. I can never do that again, the taste is too good and it will fvck me up for life!!!

Regarding insulin spikes and muscle growth - I wouldn't think to hard on it tbh. Train your ass off, hit your macros, and you will grow. The longer I do this, the more I feel like - leave all of those tiny little details for the pros and people stepping on stage. Us 'regular' guys think too hard on this stuff, and lose sight of the basic fundamentals - the meat and potatoes of it all.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 11-04-2011 at 03:00 PM.

chi
    what do you think of a cup of brown rice 45 mins preworkout?

Great preworkout carb! I like sweet potato even more!!

chi
    Great preworkout carb! I like sweet potato even more!!

i never got into sweet potato. Might give it a go again one of these days.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Hey GB wats up??
    Just thought I would drop by and update my previous suggestion on how I like my oats. I eat them uncooked like a cereal with splenda and blueberries. Well the other day I only had about a 1/3 cp of skim milk left so I added water to my bowl to make up the difference. I let it set for a minute so the "starch" or whatever comes out of the oats...It was great, I didnt even notice the diff...Anyways that is how I eat it everyday now..Thought you might want to give it a shot, it really cuts down on the cal/fat and you feel satisfied. The "starchy" substance that comes off the oats makes it creamy like..
    BTW I mixed 1/2cp grape nuts with 1/2cp uncooked oats with above ingredients and DAAaaammn it was good..
    Retarded amount of Carbs though...eheheheh...
    Nice little thread you got going here...

I dnt know this might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, I'm almost as big as I want to get and soon I want to start cutting up. If I change to a protein only diet so no carbs whatsoever will I start to lose muscle or will I be able to maintain what ive gained?

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    i never got into sweet potato. Might give it a go again one of these days.
    Meh, if it's not your thing then so be it. There are plenty of comparable options that you probably do like. My staple personally is oats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Hey GB wats up??
    Just thought I would drop by and update my previous suggestion on how I like my oats. I eat them uncooked like a cereal with splenda and blueberries. Well the other day I only had about a 1/3 cp of skim milk left so I added water to my bowl to make up the difference. I let it set for a minute so the "starch" or whatever comes out of the oats...It was great, I didnt even notice the diff...Anyways that is how I eat it everyday now..Thought you might want to give it a shot, it really cuts down on the cal/fat and you feel satisfied. The "starchy" substance that comes off the oats makes it creamy like..
    BTW I mixed 1/2cp grape nuts with 1/2cp uncooked oats with above ingredients and DAAaaammn it was good..
    Retarded amount of Carbs though...eheheheh...
    Nice little thread you got going here...
    Here's the problem for me mate... I don't have any milk in my diet, and grape nuts are SUPER calorie dense! I agree, both sound pretty delicious and I might try as a 'side note', but I wouldn't be able to make either a staple, unfortunately!

Thx for stopping by bro, always good to see you around!!

I dnt know this might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, I'm almost as big as I want to get and soon I want to start cutting up. If I change to a protein only diet so no carbs whatsoever will I start to lose muscle or will I be able to maintain what ive gained?
    That's kind of a loaded question, and way too many factors come into play to give a simple answer. If you switched to a protein only diet, your body would have to resort to gluconeogenesis - laymen terms your body will have to convert a non-energy source (protein) into usable energy (glucose) - an inefficient, energy costly process. You read that right - energy costly. Your body requires energy to make energy... how about that?? Same basic principle applies to when your body needs to breakdown lean tissue to convert to energy. So, you will probably cut up all right, but imo this isn't a particularly healthy way to go about it. I was actually having a debate recently with Dukkit about this very thing!

Carbs aren't the enemy bro, you should be fueling your body when needed. Properly placed, and in proper amounts, you can cut up very nicely. I went from 195lbs @ ~15% bodyfat to 177lbs @ ~11% with a diet that had carbs 4 days out of 7. 3 days @ 100g, and 1 day at 200g. The other 3 days of the week was zero starchy carbs.

Carb cycling bro... I swear by it now, you should look into it if you're looking to cut and preserve LBM.

Very helpful thanks jb

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    g can we swap BF% levels.

cheers
    t

:P

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    g im reading into IF atm seems good not sure if its doable for me need to read more.

coming off from keto do you think straight into IF would be ok.

goal is to cut as you already know

Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
    g can we swap BF% levels.

cheers
    t

:P
    Not a chance mate!

Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
    g im reading into IF atm seems good not sure if its doable for me need to read more.

coming off from keto do you think straight into IF would be ok.

goal is to cut as you already know
    What flavor of IF are you looking into? I would suggest checking out leangains dot com. I know Corey is a fan of IF - he might even be doing it atm.

As for going straight from keto into IF - I don't know that i'd do that... sort of one extreme to another... I'd probably run a standard/traditional diet for a few weeks to transition more smoothly. Might want to run that one by Corey though... he'd surely know better than I.

Heya, you missed thease 3 questions

1. Should I change my cardio duration or should I add more intensity or maybe add extra cardio session?

2. Also, when I feel that I need to drop calories , is the general rule to drop 300-500 calories from carbs and fats?

3.Should I ditch the fruits in the morning while i'm on cutting diet and just rely on multivitamin?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    GB what do u recommend as a good snack while on a cutting diet?? like when ur in the mood for potato chips???

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread Information