Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySidewalk View Post
    Do you know any other brands of beef protein ? I like carnivor but its so damn expensive here in europe. Its much cheaper in the US. Maybe some place that shipps to europe also.
    Not off the top of my head. Google it!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Jimmy, what country are you in?

France at the moment. I did get some whey from UK rather quick but never beef. And the prices for carnivore are just the same as here. Its 40 something dollar in the US with free shipping(but not to europe) in UK its about 40-50 pounds(or euro) plus 8-10 pounds shipping coming from UK to France. About the same prices for France and no free shipping. They charge something.

I just have to turn to either another cheaper beef protein brand or go back to whey. Considering i do use about 200g of protein from 3 shakes per day besides what i get from my main real food meals, you can see why i'm complaining about the price. I would go through a 4 pound bucket in days.
    Last edited by JimmySidewalk; 11-16-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySidewalk View Post
    France at the moment. I did get some whey from UK rather quick but never beef. And the prices for carnivore are just the same as here. Its 40 something dollar in the US with free shipping(but not to europe) in UK its about 40-50 pounds(or euro) plus 8-10 pounds shipping coming from UK to France. About the same prices for France and no free shipping. They charge something.

I just have to turn to either another cheaper beef protein brand or go back to whey. Considering i do use about 200g of protein from 3 shakes per day besides what i get from my main real food meals, you can see why i'm complaining about the price. I would go through a 4 pound bucket in days.
    Jimmy - you weren't the one who originally asked about beef protein (Conarms was), but now that we know you have a 'situation'... what about another source... egg? Casein? A blend (my choice)?

BigBadWolf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Gets a poor rating from me, sorry!!

You want to get nutrients in quickly after a fast, and you're choosing one of the slowest digesting proteins available. IMO eggs would be perfect, or eggs and a protein shake, etc. If you want to stick with something 'meaty', most white fish is a relatively fast digesting protein.

I got it!!! 1-2 whole eggs, 4-6 whites, and a few slices of lean Canadian bacon... BAM!!!! Decent and delicious!
    Thanxs I'll change it around. It's my first week of dieting so I'm trying to figure out as much as possible? So no carbs first meal? Or are you just changing the proteins?

Quote Originally Posted by Honkeykong View Post
    Thanxs I'll change it around. It's my first week of dieting so I'm trying to figure out as much as possible? So no carbs first meal? Or are you just changing the proteins?
    Definitely carbs in your first meal IMO... just saying i'd go with a faster digesting protein source if I were you. The cup of oats is great as is.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Definitely carbs in your first meal IMO... just saying i'd go with a faster digesting protein source if I were you. The cup of oats is great as is.
    What would you suggest to flavor oat? I know I know, but plain oats everyday suxs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honkeykong View Post
    What would you suggest to flavor oat? I know I know, but plain oats everyday suxs!!
    I use (per 1/2 cup dry oats) - 3 packets of splenda, a lot of cinnamon, and a 'dash' of fat free half and half... just to make it creamy. If you can afford to add 1/2 banana to that, all the better! Sometimes I add a scoop of vanilla (and less often, chocolate) protein powder to it - AWESOMENESS!!

MakinItRain is offline New Member
    Drop a tablespoon of sugar free strawberry fruit spread (10 cals and like 2 grams of carbs) and let me tell you thta is deliscious

Quote Originally Posted by MakinItRain View Post
    Drop a tablespoon of sugar free strawberry fruit spread (10 cals and like 2 grams of carbs) and let me tell you thta is deliscious
    Have done this too. Also do the same with 1% milkfat cottage cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by MakinItRain
    What is this fruit spread you speak of? Jelly?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Jimmy - you weren't the one who originally asked about beef protein (Conarms was), but now that we know you have a 'situation'... what about another source... egg? Casein? A blend (my choice)?
    Well the problem is i take one shake first thing in the morning, the other PWO and the last one in the evening. So casein would only work as the last shake considering absorbtion time. Currently i take a whey isolate at 90g of protein/100g of product. A 6kg bucket costs me about 110 euro. The cheapest milk and egg i could get 6 kg=140-150 euros and it contains only 80g of protein per 100g of product. So i would actually pay more for less protein.

Problem is i feel like a baloon most of the day on whey. It gives me a bloated feeling in the stomach, which i dont get while using beef protein.
    I would try to get all my macros from solid meals but i really dont have enough time to eat right, let alone cook it and wash dishes and caseroles and stuff.

But then again, it aint easy nor cheap to do it right in this sport so i guess i'm just ranting.

I think this is what it boils down to... your last sentence. What's obvious is that milk proteins probably aren't for you if they cause you bloating. Doubtful that casein would be any better, even if digestion time weren't a problem. I'm not a huge fan, but how about soy protein? Again, i'm just throwing it out there, no idea of the cost vs. whey.

Getting back to your last sentence - it really is a 'you get what you pay for' situation. I have been using Myofusion protein for a while, and at $42 per 5lb container, it's pretty cheap. However, I'm not thrilled with the fat content, and there are better protein blends out there. So I just bought ON's Pro Complex, which is $60 for 4.6lbs - less protein for more money. BUT i'm getting .5g fat per serving instead of 3g, less carbs and filler shit, and a much better protein blend than Myofusion has.

Gotta weigh out the positives vs. the negatives and go with the best you can afford when it comes down to it.

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    GB I'm just trying to work something out. Iv been carb cycling for a few weeks now. 3 low, 3 mod and 1 high. My leg day in the gym falls on my first moderate carb day. When I start training legs they feel cramped and saw before I even start, weird feeling. I still push through the pain and train but just wondering does that have anything to do with the carb cycling?

Also how many grams carbs roughly do you consume on your low? mod? and high? Days

Also after I have my first mod carb meal I feel a bit light headed sick sort of. You would think the opposite getting carbs into you giving you more energy. I might. It be having enough...
    Last edited by Dr Pepper; 11-16-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Are your days in that order.... low, moderate, high? I need to know that before I can answer...

My carbs are:

low - zero (fibrous veggies only)
    moderate - 105g
    high - 210g

Yep, my high day is like most people's moderate. Bear in mind my calories were often under 2000/day.

As for not feeling so well after your first carb meal... I do find that strange as I feel GREAT. I can actually feel my body 're-energizing'... are you eating super fast? Be sure you're drinking plenty of water with those carb meals as well.

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah in that order low, mod, high.

3 days Low- zero(Fiborous same as you)
    3 days Mod - 80g
    1 day High - around the 250g mark with my Cheat meal included.

Just strange. I had a small protein bar now on my mod carb day after lunch cause I was feeling a bit out of it. It had 16g protein 6g fat and 6g carbs. Feeling good after that. Just strange how I feel like shit maybe need to up the carbs a bit? Also what do u think of my legs cramping up at the beginning of leg training? The only other thing is I have Mesamorpth on leg days no other day, could that be it?

Mr. Small is offline Member
    First q for me here.

If i take a protein drink in the middle of the night with a toilet break, does that count as my daily calorie intake. EG. if my daily target is 3000 cals a day and i eat 3000 through the day, then a protein drink in the middle of the night with a toilet break.......is that extra cals?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Yeah in that order low, mod, high.

3 days Low- zero(Fiborous same as you)
    3 days Mod - 80g
    1 day High - around the 250g mark with my Cheat meal included.

Just strange. I had a small protein bar now on my mod carb day after lunch cause I was feeling a bit out of it. It had 16g protein 6g fat and 6g carbs. Feeling good after that. Just strange how I feel like shit maybe need to up the carbs a bit? Also what do u think of my legs cramping up at the beginning of leg training? The only other thing is I have Mesamorpth on leg days no other day, could that be it?
    For starters, I don't like your carb cycle. You have:

3 low = depletion
    3 moderate = some carbs but not enough to fully restore glycogen and feed muscle tissue
    1 high = too many carbs on top of being partially replenished

when it should look more like (IMO):

3 moderate
    3 low
    1 high

The low days deplete, the high day refeeds and completely replenishes glycogen stores, the moderate maintains until it's time to deplete again, and so goes the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    First q for me here.

If i take a protein drink in the middle of the night with a toilet break, does that count as my daily calorie intake. EG. if my daily target is 3000 cals a day and i eat 3000 through the day, then a protein drink in the middle of the night with a toilet break.......is that extra cals?
    Absolutely!! Your body doesn't care about time of day... time is simply a tool we use to track and limit things. 3000 calories is 3000 calories. Further consumption will result in higher calories. Whether you choose to apply them to the prior day or the day ahead is fairly irrelevant IMO.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Hey GB! I still see that dr pepper is harassing you about nutrition lol

I was thinking about this the other day..
    I've been dieting for over 10 weeks now and have gone from calorie deficit into a clean bulk gradually over a 4 week period (I'm still in the middle of the transition) as I've started a cycle. Do you think that when I'm in a clean bulk it would be ok to introduce a cheat meal once a week? Also when would be the best time to eat a cheat meal? Before training? Ppwo meal?

joshh is offline Associate Member
    was thinking about combining keto with intermittent fasting. your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by boxa06 View Post
    Hey GB! I still see that dr pepper is harassing you about nutrition lol

I was thinking about this the other day..
    I've been dieting for over 10 weeks now and have gone from calorie deficit into a clean bulk gradually over a 4 week period (I'm still in the middle of the transition) as I've started a cycle. Do you think that when I'm in a clean bulk it would be ok to introduce a cheat meal once a week? Also when would be the best time to eat a cheat meal? Before training? Ppwo meal?
    lol @ Drpepper!

I think it'd be ok as long as you don't go crazy. However if u start to put on fat, it'd be the first thing I nix.

Pre workout would be a great time... ideally your most intense workout such as legs.

Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    was thinking about combining keto with intermittent fasting. your thoughts?
    I wouldn't do it. It'd be interesting to see, but I'd suspect you'd lose muscle mass, forget about gaining. The whole point of an IF refeed is hormonal response, and without carbs you'll lose a lot of the benefit. It'd be one or the other for me... and I'd personally opt for IF.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    lol @ Drpepper!

I think it'd be ok as long as you don't go crazy. However if u start to put on fat, it'd be the first thing I nix.

Pre workout would be a great time... ideally your most intense workout such as legs.
    Thanks bro!

joshh is offline Associate Member
    I wouldn't do it. It'd be interesting to see, but I'd suspect you'd lose muscle mass, forget about gaining. The whole point of an IF refeed is hormonal response, and without carbs you'll lose a lot of the benefit. It'd be one or the other for me... and I'd personally opt for IF.
    If I keep lifting heavy and keep my protein intake high I wouldn't have though I'd loose much muscle mass, if any. I'm going to give it a shot either way and see how it goes, I'm okay with loosing some muscle mass as long as fat loss is dominant.

hsvcraig is offline Associate Member
    Hey gbrice, hope alls well. I've read the unofficial how to bulk thread and and it mixes up the meals, eg. protein / fats for 1 meal , protein / carbs for the other meal etc. I seem to just eat for every meal half carbs half protein and throw in some fat for every meal. Is there a problem with that? I vaguely remember hearing carbs and fat in the same meal will cause your body to store fat, whats your thoughts? Thanks yet again for your input mate

Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    If I keep lifting heavy and keep my protein intake high I wouldn't have though I'd loose much muscle mass, if any. I'm going to give it a shot either way and see how it goes, I'm okay with loosing some muscle mass as long as fat loss is dominant.
    If you don't mind, please keep me posted. I'd be interested to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by hsvcraig View Post
    Hey gbrice, hope alls well. I've read the unofficial how to bulk thread and and it mixes up the meals, eg. protein / fats for 1 meal , protein / carbs for the other meal etc. I seem to just eat for every meal half carbs half protein and throw in some fat for every meal. Is there a problem with that? I vaguely remember hearing carbs and fat in the same meal will cause your body to store fat, whats your thoughts? Thanks yet again for your input mate
    I have to preface my answer by stating the 'how to bulk' thread is outdated, and we are working to update all of the sticky's. The 'Cutting 101' thread is current however.

Eating fats and carbs together won't cause your body to store fat; consuming excess calories will. Having said that, there are minor factors (such as what you're asking about) that can be manipulated to increase efficiency of whatever you're goal is.

The problem IMO comes in when a meal contains too much of both. i.e. you have a meal with 50g of carbs and 50g fat... firstly that's a huge meal - 650 calories and we haven't even considered what protein is adding. Furthermore, glucose is your body's preferred fuel source, and dietary fat is most likely of the 3 macros to be stored as fat. So, eating a meal high in both (depending on MANY factors) could result in your body storing the dietary fat as it got the energy needed (and/or restored glycogen) from the carbs.

I consume a small amount of fat with all of my carb meals. Some by default (i.e. protein powders contain fat, so do oats), so via fish oils. Generally around 40-50g carbs, and around 5-10g fat.

At the end of the day, worry first and foremost about hitting your macros. Everything else should be a second thought imo.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    HAVE A WONDERFUL 1st THANKSGIVING with your Little Boy!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Thank you SM, same to you!!

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    GB, i've got a question for you,

just talking hypothetically for a moment, if a 200lbs male @14% bf went on an insane weight loss mission of reduced calories and a load of cardio used clen t3 and dropped to 190lbs 10%in a short space time like 3 weeks or so, if diet was correct how much muscle would likely to be lost ?

and could this lost muscle be just as easily recovered with muscle memory and carbing up again?
    Last edited by MR-FQ320; 11-24-2011 at 05:47 AM.

MR - your first weight/bodyfat example will have this male at 172lbs LBM, the 2nd example at 171lbs LBM. So based on this, all losses were bodyfat and water with the exception of 1lb of LBM.

To answer that question in general though is impossible. It's way to individualistic, and too many other factors to consider.

As for muscle memory... it's very real and it wouldn't take nearly as much time to regain as it did to make the initial gains, provided training and diet are in check.

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Happy Thanksgiving GB, hipe you have a great time with the family today, many blessigs to you ad your family as well, be safe bud!

Thanks P, it was the best Thanksgiving ever because the little guy made it so special!

B.....U.....M.....P!!!!

thedawg is offline New Member
    Hi gb. First question.

Ive been using a lttle too much whey protein in my diet as posted.

If i were to get some micellar casein and buy more actual eggs as well as cottage cheese would the following be okay in your opinion.

Breakfast - eggs

Afternoon snack - micellar casein and whey blend.

Evening snack - micellar and whey blend.

Bedtime - cottage cheese.

Obviously i eat a proper lunch and dinner but hypothetically if you only had these products for the four meals mentioned how wold you use them?

Also woild it be beneficial to add a medium release protein to the blend such as egg albumen?

I'd need to see your complete diet to give detailed feedback, but I don't have a problem with what you've laid out, so long as you're getting a good portion of your nutrition from whole foods.

Personally, I add cottage cheese to all of my protein shake meals with the exception of PWO. So if you want to be technical, all of my meals contain some form of whole food.

I prefer multiple protein sources, i.e. whey, casein, egg, whey peptides, free form aminos, etc. Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex is a great choice IMO.

Awesome, thanks gb. I was actually thinking of introducing the pancake recipe i read on these forums which contains cottage cheese also. Yes i do manage to get some whole foods in. These are just the trickier meals for me to fit in due to a busy schedule. I posted my full diet (and it really is a diet) as a separate thread if you wish to make any suggestions thatd be great. Right now i only use whey but ive quickly realised from this forum that its probably not the best way to go.

Excellent thread btw. Good to see someone willing to take time to help others like that.

Thanks D, always glad to help when I can. I'm on my iPhone right now but will have a look at your thread when I'm at a PC.

I'd put the majority of my efforts into hitting my macros, vs worrying about the source. Having said that, I don't use straight whey for anything anymore. A blend, and particularly casein makes the shake more of a 'real' meal IMO. For carb meals, blend in some oats and you're golden!

testchef is offline Associate Member
    hey bg im currently on pct at the moment and am looking to loose a few % body fat before my next cycle.
    im a chef so food is right up my street
    only problem for me is i suffer from "ibs" rice bread and pasta all bloat the hell out of me .
    i tend to stick to other pulses for example chix peas , cannalinni beans , etc
    now also carbs stick to me like a mofo i do eat brown rice and potatoes but try not to .
    i tend to stick to alot of chicken and fish with veg
    typical day may be:

hours cardio

porrage
    2*apple

3*poached eggs
    wholemeal toast *2

chicken
    braised chix peas or veggies

sandwich wholemeal bread , tuna or turkey light mayo no butter

pre wo shake of maltidextrin
    work out 45-1hr

pwo shake .. just protien no carbs

fish. salad or some form of pulse beans , lentils etc

sandwich

what im looking for is to maintain my gains from my previous cycle but reduce bf% before my next .
    a couple of ideas for me to replace rice and pasta with would be great .

thanks

^^ test, please do me a favor and start your own thread here in the diet section. I am trying to keep this thread a 'general education' thread vs. a 'one on one consultation' / 'fix my diet' thread.

If you post up your own thread, I guarantee you'll get plenty of help from the good people here, and i'll try and chime in as well!

testchef is offline Associate Member
    ^^ test, please do me a favor and start your own thread here in the diet section. I am trying to keep this thread a 'general education' thread vs. a 'one on one consultation' / 'fix my diet' thread.

If you post up your own thread, I guarantee you'll get plenty of help from the good people here, and i'll try and chime in as well!
    my appolagies i thought this was an ask u anything thread. and was asking for your help due to the fact that i have ibs so cant stomach alot of the foods that go hang in hand with bodybuilding. my mistake ................sorry

Thanks D, always glad to help when I can. I'm on my iPhone right now but will have a look at your thread when I'm at a PC.

I'd put the majority of my efforts into hitting my macros, vs worrying about the source. Having said that, I don't use straight whey for anything anymore. A blend, and particularly casein makes the shake more of a 'real' meal IMO. For carb meals, blend in some oats and you're golden!
    Thanks gb. Much appreciated. I do think my macros require some modification, particularly in the fats area. This is something i intend to rectify when i put my calories a bit above maintenance to try and work on lean gains.

Also would it be okay to ask you your personal take on any supplement related questions in this thread?

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread Information