Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Good stuff, GB, you are still the man!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by testchef View Post
    my appolagies i thought this was an ask u anything thread. and was asking for your help due to the fact that i have ibs so cant stomach alot of the foods that go hang in hand with bodybuilding. my mistake ................sorry
    No worries bro. It is an 'ask me anything' thread however I didn't intend for it to be a one on one type consultation thread... i.e. very specific to people's diets. Plus, you'll get alot more help starting your own thread as not everybody will look here, so they'll miss your post.

Quote Originally Posted by thedawg View Post
    Thanks gb. Much appreciated. I do think my macros require some modification, particularly in the fats area. This is something i intend to rectify when i put my calories a bit above maintenance to try and work on lean gains.

Also would it be okay to ask you your personal take on any supplement related questions in this thread?
    No problem bro, ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Good stuff, GB, you are still the man!
    Thx TB!! I'm not post whoring as much these days though!

Well, when you are over 10,000 posts you can ease up on the post-ho-express!

^^^
    Last edited by gbrice75; 11-30-2011 at 02:52 PM.

coldfear is offline Junior Member
    when carbing up on a keto diet (last meal of the day saturday night) should I count the carbs into my daily macros to try to keep the cals under maintenance. Or is the carb up really just eat till your full and weight loss will continue. Because I have a huge appetite and can likely ruin a week of dieting in one night

Quote Originally Posted by coldfear View Post
    when carbing up on a keto diet (last meal of the day saturday night) should I count the carbs into my daily macros to try to keep the cals under maintenance. Or is the carb up really just eat till your full and weight loss will continue. Because I have a huge appetite and can likely ruin a week of dieting in one night
    Your last sentence should answer your question. Generally I always suggest a number to hit, e.g. on carb up day, aim for 400g. That goes tenfold for people like you. Don't feel bad, I have the same problem so I need to be very careful and count everything.

A carb up day can easily turn into a cheat day if you don't plan it out, mainly the reason I failed 2 keto diets.

It's a good thing you aren't post-hoin' anymore, I just try to post behind each of your posts and I can't get anything else done. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if you were trying! :]

Just out of curiosity, how much does chicken cost in the U.S. ? I went to the supermarket today to buy some chicken and realised it got just a little bit more expensive than usual. Maybe because de***ber is coming, i dont know.
    I had to pay something like 8 euro for a kilo, that meaning about 11$ for 2.2 pounds of chicken. I think you measure your stuff in o.z. or something like that when it comes to meat. Nonetheless i am curious.

It's so cheap I don't even keep track, I'd say half of that if not cheaper! I'll check the next time I buy some.

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySidewalk
    Just out of curiosity, how much does chicken cost in the U.S. ? I went to the supermarket today to buy some chicken and realised it got just a little bit more expensive than usual. Maybe because de***ber is coming, i dont know.
    I had to pay something like 8 euro for a kilo, that meaning about 11$ for 2.2 pounds of chicken. I think you measure your stuff in o.z. or something like that when it comes to meat. Nonetheless i am curious.
    Wow that sucks!! I buy it wholesale 10lbs for $15

I had some for lunch, the package was still in the trash. I paid $1.79 per pound, so under $4 dollars for a kilo. That was lean chicken breasts, a good brand too.

Damn it, i'm so sick and tired of paying these idiots overpriced food. Everything is more expensive here in france.
    From supplements to basic food its all 30-50% more expensive than what i'm used to, sometimes even more. And that's in the cheapest supermarket, cause if i would go in any onther supermarket its even more expensive. I have one close to me, but the chicken was like 12 euro per kilo. Incredible, right ? I'd rather walk twice the distance than pay even more for the already overpriced meat they sell.

Its hard to keep a good diet while on a thight budget. I have to eat tuna for the majority of my meat intake and just supplement with chicken rather than having it as the main protein source, all this just because tuna is much cheaper. I'm sick to my stomach of it and the smell. Its frustrating.

Cant wait to move to the U.S. Cheaper gear also.
    You should be thankful.
    Last edited by JimmySidewalk; 11-30-2011 at 04:39 PM.

move to the u.s.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySidewalk View Post
    from cali and i paid 5$ for two pounds last night

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    gb- what about using black or pinto beans for your before or after work out carbs. good protein carbs and fiber.. thoughts

thedawg is offline New Member
    Was just wondering what supplements aside from protein powders would you say are musts in a healthy diet?

I currently use creatine monohydrate and glutamine. I am considering adding bcaas (purple wraath). Would you recommend or discourage any of these?

I have also used vitamin c, multivitamin and fish oils in the past however since abandoning all of these I have noticed that I am unwell less often as opposed to quite frequently when I was using these supps which is a bit confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    gb- what about using black or pinto beans for your before or after work out carbs. good protein carbs and fiber.. thoughts
    All varieties of beans and leguemes are excellent carb and fiber sources. Black, kidney, white, chick peas, pinto, etc. I also use lentils when I want a change.

Note to all of the less informed food buffs (not saying you OP) - when we talk about beans, we mean in the natural state; i.e. not the cans of 'baked beans' that are loaded with sugar and HFCS.

Was just wondering what supplements aside from protein powders would you say are musts in a healthy diet?

I currently use creatine monohydrate and glutamine. I am considering adding bcaas (purple wraath). Would you recommend or discourage any of these?

I have also used vitamin c, multivitamin and fish oils in the past however since abandoning all of these I have noticed that I am unwell less often as opposed to quite frequently when I was using these supps which is a bit confusing.
    I'm fairly supplement-light. I definitely believe in a good multi vitamin/ multi mineral. Animal Pak is great if you can afford it. BCAA's are a must IMO anytime before doing any fasted activity. Purple Wraath is my choice as well. Xtend is good too. Fish Oil is a must unless you eat plenty of omega-3 rich fish already in your diet. Most people don't.

The rest is really up to the individual IMO. I don't feel creative or glutamine are essential to an already dialed in diet.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

All varieties of beans and leguemes are excellent carb and fiber sources. Black, kidney, white, chick peas, pinto, etc. I also use lentils when I want a change.

Note to all of the less informed food buffs (not saying you OP) - when we talk about beans, we mean in the natural state; i.e. not the cans of 'baked beans' that are loaded with sugar and HFCS.
    Good to know!! I currently use lentils as my post w/o carn source, glad to know i can change!

For me, any clean complex carb is good PWO. If you want to mix with some fast acting carbs (if doing so suits your goal), I'd opt for fruit before dextrose/maltodextrin any day of the week.

Yeah i used to do malto/dex but since i got here they said, TAKE IT OFF lol and havent touched it since!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I'm fairly supplement-light. I definitely believe in a good multi vitamin/ multi mineral. Animal Pak is great if you can afford it. BCAA's are a must IMO anytime before doing any fasted activity. Purple Wraath is my choice as well. Xtend is good too. Fish Oil is a must unless you eat plenty of omega-3 rich fish already in your diet. Most people don't.

The rest is really up to the individual IMO. I don't feel creative or glutamine are essential to an already dialed in diet.
    Thanks gb. Ill get some bcaas in for starters. Ill probably look to drop the glutamine as i dont feel it gives me much but ill stick with the mono as i feel this has helped me in the gym.

Im going to have a look into fats as well. Would natural peanut butter be a good start here until i research for some cheap efa's?

Im going to have a look into fats as well. Would natural peanut butter be a good start here until i research for some cheap efa's?
    Not really, tbh. While peanuts and nuts in general have a decent fat profile, what most people lack in their diet, fat wise, are specifically omega 3 fatty acids. Nuts just don't cut it.

Another problem with PB is that it's way too easy to over eat. On the other hand, it's highly unlikely anybody's gonna OD on fish oil caps!!

Good stuff. I don't like any diet drink of any kind, but tried the new Dr. Pepper Ten, I don't even like Dr. Pepper and this was some good stuff! How bad is it for you? How often would it be okay to include it?
    Last edited by tbody66; 12-05-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Not really, tbh. While peanuts and nuts in general have a decent fat profile, what most people lack in their diet, fat wise, are specifically omega 3 fatty acids. Nuts just don't cut it.

Another problem with PB is that it's way too easy to over eat. On the other hand, it's highly unlikely anybody's gonna OD on fish oil caps!!
    Lol i'm quite well disciplined so overeating shouldnt be a problem. Im not a massive pb fan anyway. I do have fish oil caps at home so ill start taking then again also. How much of your own daily diet consists of these oils?

Lol i'm quite well disciplined so overeating shouldnt be a problem. Im not a massive pb fan anyway. I do have fish oil caps at home so ill start taking then again also. How much of your own daily diet consists of these oils?

Good stuff. I don't like any diet drink of any kind, but tried the new Dr. Pepper Ten, I don't even like Dr. Pepper and this was some good stuff! How bad is it for you? How often would it be okay to include it?
    I've had it and like it too, but I usually stick to diet root beer when I do have these kinds of drinks.

A couple per day isn't a a big deal IMO as long as you don't mind the few grams of sugar, but I guess if I were being super strict I'd forego this.

I take 3-5 caps/grams with each meal, depending on the meal.

GB, why are your forearms so beastly hairy???

GB, why are your forearms so beastly hairy???
    lol, fair question!!

I used to shave them, did that for years in fact. But it's too much of a hassle when I already have to shave my head and the rest of my upper body.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    GB as u know ive been on a cutting diet for 10 weeks now.. im just wondering what u suggest i do once i reach my goal bf% as far as how long i should try to maintain that bf% before potentially trying to start a lean bulk??

is there a certain period of time that if i maintain a certain bf% it will "establish" that particular level so that i can get back there more easily ??

ive heard that when ur body is used to being fat and hasnt ever been at a low bf% before that once u achieve it it should be easier to reach it again than it was originally??

I do believe there is some length of time that has to go by for our bodies to get used to their new 'set point'. However, I believe that time varies greatly from person to person.

As for the second question, I agree with the general idea that the 2nd time around is easier... 1) because you've already done it, i.e. experience, and 2) there is something to physiological memory IMO, similar to muscle memory.

I do believe there is some length of time that has to go by for our bodies to get used to their new 'set point'. However, I believe that time varies greatly from person to person.

As for the second question, I agree with the general idea that the 2nd time around is easier... 1) because you've already done it, i.e. experience, and 2) there is something to physiological memory IMO, similar to muscle memory.
    thx man.. what would u think a ballpark minimum amt of time would be??

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    thx man.. what would u think a ballpark minimum amt of time would be??
    I'd say for anybody who made a drastic change to their body composition, at least 3 months. Just my estimation, and personally i'd go longer, about 6 tbh.

yeh kinda what i was thinking... of course once i get sub 12% ..like really sub 12% i dont know if ill wanna give up the abs LOL seeing as how hard im working for them! man i think if i can do that i can do anything.. its been the dream thats never been realized my whole life ...

It's always a challange, when I lean out I get substantially more comments about my size and build but when my bench drops 50lbs I freak out and start eating again.

Gb you said you take around 3-5g efas with every meal. Thatd probably be quite a lot in my case. What percentage of diet or dietary fats would you reconmend efas shoukd account for as a minimum?

Let's put it this way - I'm of the school of thought that you'll get enough 'regular' fat by default throughout the day just from the foods you eat. Meats, eggs, protein powders, hell even a serving of oats has a couple grams. The rest would be efa's.

eg let's say you're shooting for 50g/day and you know your meals total 30g. I'd make up that balance via fish oil.

Mr. Small is offline Member
    Man, how many hours between your first meal and last meal of any day? I am averaging about 13 hours.

On my long days, about 16 hours. It sucks, I don't get much time to sleep!!

You have a newborn and you've pissed off your wife, you shouldn't be getting much sleep!

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread Information