Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Possibly cycle low carbs on non-training days.

Man, idk what your job entails, but calories seem awful high given your stats. JMO.
    and a valid opinion at that, my tdee is approx 2635.93 on non work, training only days (calculated with formula in stickys) so what would you suggest then?
    job is industrial plumbing/welding. . .lenghts of steel pipe anywhere from 20kg to 60kg each any heavier and machinery is used, so energy is a must
    Last edited by DanB; 12-12-2011 at 08:41 AM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^^ TDEE might be a bit ambitious - I always find the forumla's to put people on the high end and don't use them very often. LBM x 15 is usually a better starting point IMO. That would put you at roughly 2100 - not TOO far off from your own calculations.

I'd probably start right at 3000 calories on training + work days. Monitor yourself closely and make adjustments as needed. That's really the only true way you'll ever find your caloric needs.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    In regards to IF, it says 16 hours is ideal for fasting but would 15 hurt?

DanB is offline Banned
    ok thanks, ill put together my proposed diet and start thread for critique with it soon, thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    In regards to IF, it says 16 hours is ideal for fasting but would 15 hurt?
    I doubt 1 hour would make a significant difference, but I wouldn't go less than that. If anything, the longer the fast, the better. i.e. you can go longer than 16 hours and shorten your feeding window. But, you have to work with what fits into your life.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    ok thanks, ill put together my proposed diet and start thread for critique with it soon, thanks again
    Sounds good, i'll keep an eye open for it!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hey GB just curious as to why ur taking so many fish oil caps and what is the benefit? also since i am cutting how many would u suggest i take? how would it benefit me?

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Where you been Cal???
    Doing a lot of nothing...Haven't touched a weight since my surgery early May...Sooo depressing, nothing worse then wanting to go lift everyday but couldn't even if I wanted too..

Actually, haven't gone to the gym until yesterday but don't really consider it lifting since I am doing really light weight and only a few sets of each body part.....

The scariest part though is not knowing if I will ever be able to lift heavy again...It's just a waiting game

^^ damn bro, sorry to hear about your injury. How has your body changed since being out of commission?

At this point just do what you're doing, keep it light, slowly rebuild your neuro-system and I believe eventually the rest will fall in place for the most part.

What do ya think about this for IF diet:

700 BCAAs
    900 BCAAs
    1045 BCAAs
    1215-815 feeding window approx 1800-2000 on weight training days, and 1600-1800 on off/cardio days.

Another question, I bought some BCAAs (horse pills) and there are 2g of carbs in it. Will this break my fast so to speak?

Why all the BCAA's? Not necessary unless your involved in intense activity during that time. You want to keep them to a minimum because even BCAA's are technically breaking your fast (BCAA's with even trace amounts of carbs will definitely break your fast. Ditch them and get yourself some BCAA powder).

Where in that schedule does your workout fall?

Why all the BCAA's? Not necessary unless your involved in intense activity during that time. You want to keep them to a minimum because even BCAA's are technically breaking your fast (BCAA's with even trace amounts of carbs will definitely break your fast. Ditch them and get yourself some BCAA powder).

Where in that schedule does your workout fall?
    My workout falls in the evening, usually around 6 or so, depends on when I get home from work. I was using bcaa's to curve the hunger pains, felt like I was going to die around 10! At the time, it was all the bcaa's I had, and I will be getting the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    My workout falls in the evening, usually around 6 or so, depends on when I get home from work. I was using bcaa's to curve the hunger pains, felt like I was going to die around 10! At the time, it was all the bcaa's I had, and I will be getting the powder.
    I'm not sure how BCAA's curb your appetite, but to each his own! Personally i'd drop them and just load up on water. Drink a shitload and tell me if you're still hungry. If you do cardio in the am, take BCAA's prior. Also, if you don't break your fast before your workout, definitely take BCAA's at that time too.

The hunger pains should take care of themselves tbh. I only started feeling hungry about the last hour before breaking my fast - which only made that first meal even better. But, I guess everybody is different...

I'm not sure how BCAA's curb your appetite, but to each his own! Personally i'd drop them and just load up on water. Drink a shitload and tell me if you're still hungry. If you do cardio in the am, take BCAA's prior. Also, if you don't break your fast before your workout, definitely take BCAA's at that time too.

The hunger pains should take care of themselves tbh. I only started feeling hungry about the last hour before breaking my fast - which only made that first meal even better. But, I guess everybody is different...
    gotcha on the above. i break my fast well before my workout, i like to train fueled. i may try to adjust my schedule to where i am training in the AM like the leangains deal, thanks

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Based upon the fact that the closer you get to your goal the harder it is to make progress how should that affect your plans? For example, let's say I am at 18%bf and want to get to 12% in 6 months/26 weeks/182.5 days? We all know it will become progressively harder to lose 1% bf the closer we get to target so would we just plan on losing 2% the first month and .25% the last? As we get lighter and perform more cardio our conditioning improves and we burn fewer calories so do I just build this into my head going into it? At 180lbs/18%bf I would burn more calories in 30 minutes than I would at 168/12%bf, if the intensity level is identical although my LBM would be the same. So should I just go into the program knowing that I will need to gradually lower my daily caloric intake and increase my cardio or would I be better served to build in Cheat Weeks to reprogram my body or just monitor and adjust monthly without putting so much thought into it ahead of time?

I had to post this here since you hardly ever stop by my thread anymore.

Calstate, I missed what happened to you that requires surgery, glad you're at least hanging around here and hope we can help you through whatever you face.
    Last edited by tbody66; 12-14-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Based upon the fact that the closer you get to your goal the harder it is to make progress how should that affect your plans? For example, let's say I am at 18%bf and want to get to 12% in 6 months/26 weeks/182.5 days? We all know it will become progressively harder to lose 1% bf the closer we get to target so would we just plan on losing 2% the first month and .25% the last? As we get lighter and perform more cardio our conditioning improves and we burn fewer calories so do I just build this into my head going into it? At 180lbs/18%bf I would burn more calories in 30 minutes than I would at 168/12%bf, if the intensity level is identical although my LBM would be the same. So should I just go into the program knowing that I will need to gradually lower my daily caloric intake and increase my cardio or would I be better served to build in Cheat Weeks to reprogram my body or just monitor and adjust monthly without putting so much thought into it ahead of time?

I had to post this here since you hardly ever stop by my thread anymore.

Calstate, I missed what happened to you that requires surgery, glad you're at least hanging around here and hope we can help you through whatever you face.
    For the most part, I wouldn't decrease calories, OR increase cardio. What I WOULD do is make other small changes that will make an impact. i.e. I would increase cardio intensity. I would shorten rest periods between sets. I'd switch up rep ranges to create a more 'cardio intensive' session. Things like that. Decreasing calories too much will be counter productive and we don't want to do that. Increasing cardio, at some point, will make you miserable (ESPECIALLY you because you already hate cardio lol!) and you'll wind up quitting.

I'll get over to your thread soon man, i'm sorry! I have really only been stopping by to handle my duties as a Monitor, and to update my thread. I am focusing on my family right now!

Thank you, brother! We all understand and you definitely have my support and prayers!

Thank you, brother! We all understand and you definitely have my support and prayers!
    I appreciate that buddy!!

jpowell is offline Banned
    gb--question i put in my thread, but havent herd from ya.

question on split:

how do you know which split to go with over another. I have calc for splits of 50p/30c/20f, 60p/30c/10f, and also 60p/20c/20f. like i mentioned b4, tryn to understand the science behind it. obvi it means more protien and less fat and carbs--but what does it mean in simple terms? will it give leaner look?

^^ there's no definitive answer. One isn't necessarily better than another; people respond differently. i.e. some do better on higher fat lower carb diets, and vice versa. It really comes down to experimenting and getting in tune with your own body.

Generally, 40/40/20 is a good 'vanilla' starting point. Monitor and adjust from there.

So, is it at all possible to begin planning a Family Reunion for forum members? I'm thinking the 4th of July and somewhere centrally located. Who's in?

By that time I'll be so damn beastly you'll all look like crap standing next to me, bwahahahaha!!!

Well, I figured you wouldn't come if it wasn't like that!

Well, I figured you wouldn't come if it wasn't like that!
    So true!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    So, is it at all possible to begin planning a Family Reunion for forum members? I'm thinking the 4th of July and somewhere centrally located. Who's in?
    we'll be eating egg white omelets for breakfast and hitting the gym for weights and cardio by 8 am. most fit group of folks i'll ever see gathered together!

New pic for the avy, or recycling an old one, GB? So GGR, are you in charge of breakfast or cardio?

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    hey g im 5kg down on my keto diet. and i cant tell atm. if im stalling or not. down 5 kg in 22 days so three weeks.

should i drop some cals or maybe add another 45 min cardio session in the week ?

New pic for the avy, or recycling an old one, GB?
    Not new... nor recycled. It's from about 2 months ago (same session as my last avy) - just wanted to change it up for some variety. I get sick of looking at the same pic of myself all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
    hey g im 5kg down on my keto diet. and i cant tell atm. if im stalling or not. down 5 kg in 22 days so three weeks.

should i drop some cals or maybe add another 45 min cardio session in the week ?
    Why fix it if it ain't broke? If you're losing, you're making progress. And particularly with keto, if you're losing slowly, that's a better indicator that it's fat and not LBM. How is strength? How is energy?

jpowell is offline Banned
    in order to cut, are there essential supps you need. my closet consist of protein and my pre/post workout. do u need a multi? fish oils? cla? and others? i always hear people talking bout u need this/this and the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jpowell View Post
    in order to cut, are there essential supps you need. my closet consist of protein and my pre/post workout. do u need a multi? fish oils? cla? and others? i always hear people talking bout u need this/this and the other.
    The short answer - no. Burn more calories than you take in, and you'll lose weight. The composition of that weight will be heavily dictated by a solid diet and training routine.

Supplements however can help make the cut more effective and/or efficient. e.g. BCAA's to help preserve lbm while doing fasted cardio.

The only supplements I'd say are musts no matter what - a quality multi vitamin/mineral, and fish oil unless you already get plenty of omega-3's from your diet (most people don't).

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    engergy isnt the best but i get through the day. i find it more of a mental thing.

strength suprisingly it isnt too bad at all

Failure is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    hey GB just curious as to why ur taking so many fish oil caps and what is the benefit? also since i am cutting how many would u suggest i take? how would it benefit me?
    Wondering the same.

I thought I've been hearing some negative things being said lately about omega 3's and/or fish oil as well. I didn't read it or pay too much attention because I'm not taking any, but you seem to be a big, big fan. So I'm waiting to hear the answer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Wondering the same.
    I thought I've been hearing some negative things being said lately about omega 3's and/or fish oil as well. I didn't read it or pay too much attention because I'm not taking any, but you seem to be a big, big fan. So I'm waiting to hear the answer as well.
    I really can't provide a short answer, so I'm going to hold off on answering this until I can get in front of a PC (currently on my iPhone and hate typing with it). I will say that in general, most people get plenty of omega 6's and 9's in their diets (just by default), but lack bigtime in omega 3's.

Suffice it to say for now that fish oils provide numerous health benefits and everybody should be getting them in some form, IMO. TB - post up the negative stuff you've read if you can find it/remember.

3 Reasons Fish Oil is Bad For You

By Peter Bebber

Ads by Google

Triglyceride Treatment healthyweb.com Discover Triglyceride Treatment. A Top Resource For Expert Advice.

Food To Lower Cholesterol StayingFit.com Want To Lower Your Cholesterol? Check Out These Foods!

Lower Cholesterol Tips www.health.com High Cholesterol? Lower it in 10 Steps. Weigh the Pros and Cons Here

There's a lot of talk about Fish Oil these days and a few people have recently asked my thoughts on taking it. I've looked for solid, scientifically backed information from people not selling fish or fish oil to help me understand more about the benefits and/or drawbacks. What I've found is some great information that you won't hear from the Fish Oil salesmen and could take you a while to find sifting through the "fish oil miracle" stuff online.

1. Fish Oil is known to contain concentrations of chemicals like PCBs.
    2. Oils are 100% fat and fat is unhealthy. Whether it's from a fish, a cow, or an olive - fat is fat is fat.
    3. Although Fish Oil is popular for Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Omega-3's are available from sources other than fish.

You might be thinking right now that Olive Oil is healthy because it's from a plant, and you've heard how healthy Fish are because of the Omega-3's. This way of thinking is a combination of reductionist science and marketing. Let me explain: Modern science is obsessed with reducing things down to individual parts in an attempt to find the magic bullet or the cure all, but it doesn't exist. A grape was not created for the Resveratrol, a carrot doesn't simply provide beta carotene, and an orange doesn't exist solely for it's Vitamin C.

Let's look at oranges a little closer. An orange has less Vitamin C than bell Peppers or broccoli, yet we associate Vitamin C with oranges. This is because an industry saw how important Vitamin C is to our health, realized that their product, oranges, has Vitamin C, and marketed the heck out of that fact. It doesn't matter how much Vitamin C an Orange has, it just matters that an Orange has Vitamin C. If Broccoli growers had built a marketing campaign around Vitamin C before the Orange growers, we'd be seeing green when talking about Vitamin C instead of orange.

Fish and Fish Oil appear to be a similar case to the Orange, except an Orange is still good for you. An Orange provides more than just Vitamin C, it provides water, fiber, carbohydrates and antioxidants (which help fight free radicals - something oils promote). Fish, on the other hand, are made up of flesh and fat and contain no fiber, which makes it difficult for our bodies to digest. Fish are also known for their mercury content, a toxic metal that our bodies certainly can't handle but are exposed to when we consume fish and fish products.

Mercury is not the only toxin found in fish and fish oil. Polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, are commonly found, in high levels, in fish Oil supplements. PCBs are considered carcinogens, or cancer causing, and are also known to cause headaches, cough, fatigue, skin sores and more. There is currently a lawsuit against fish oil companies because they are not disclosing the levels of PCBs and other chemicals present in their products. This is certainly something I'd like to be aware of before considering their products.

To address the fat issue, oils are fat. While there is fat even in the plants that we eat, when whole, they are in the natural form with the fiber, water, and other components our bodies use to digest them properly. They are also in an appropriate ratio of 5-10% of calories from fat. While nuts, seeds, and avocados are an exception and are actually high in fat, most plants are in the lower range. These whole plant foods provide an optimal source and amount of fats helping to keep our bodies slim and healthy.

While a healthy looking body is constantly sought after, a healthy body is most important. Oils work against us in both categories. The fat in oils certainly contribute to today's common weight problem while oils hurt the health of our bodies by encouraging the production of free radicals. Free radicals damage our cells and contribute to aging. In fact, a study at the Agricultural Research Human Nutrition Center on Aging at Tufts University "...have determined that fish oil reduces the production of T-cells and other lymphocytes by at least 63 percent." T-cells and lymphocytes are a part of our immune system and help us fight off infections. A 63 percent reduction in the production of T-cells is clearly not the desired effect of a pill taken to improve health. Here again we see a contradiction to benefits claimed by the fish and fish oil industries, industries that depend on people spending their money on the products their pushing.

Now that you've seen many of the effects of fish and fish oil you're probably wondering about those Omega-3's that are so beneficial and where to get them without fish. Fortunately, like Vitamin C, Omega-3's have more than one source. In fact, some of the same sources of Vitamin C, such as broccoli, spinach and other dark green leafy vegetables are also good sources of Omega-3's. Cauliflower, winter squash, papaya and those nuts, seeds and avocados we mentioned earlier are good sources as well. Because the nuts, seeds and avocados are high in fat content, it's recommended to eat small amounts. I've seen it suggested that a half an avocado every other day (on average) is a healthy amount to keep your overall fat intake down but still experience benefits.

Fish and fish oil are not requirements for us to live a healthy life. In fact, the opposite appears to be true once we get past the clever marketing. The reductionist science that companies have been using to fuel that marketing leaves the public confused and misled. Although it's easy for people to forget, humans come from nature, not a lab, and our bodies are designed to consume things from nature that make us healthy and leave us feeling good. Chemically burdened food that's difficult for our bodies to digest and pills designed in a lab are not healthy, do not promote health, and generally make us sick. I hope this article is helpful in answering your questions about the "benefits" of fish and fish oil.

Peter

Fish oil is touted as a heart-healthy supplement. According to a 2010 survey conducted by Consumerlab.com, more people take omega-3 or fish oil supplements than multivitamins. Fish oil contains the two omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid. Medlineplus states the supplement is generally safe for most adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women. Still, there are some people who may suffer from adverse side effects when consuming fish oil. Always discuss the pros and cons of taking any supplement with your medical professional.

Benefits
    Fish oil has a variety of heart-healthy benefits. The omega-3 fatty acids control and regulate your heart beat and decrease the occurrence of arrhythmias. The supplement decreases the amount of triglycerides circulating in your blood. Triglycerides are a fatty substance in the blood which lead to high cholesterol. Fish oil most likely prevents heart disease and heart attacks, reports MedlinePlus. There may be additional positive uses for fish oil including treating depression, ADHD, osteoporosis and Alzheimer's disease. However, more research is needed.

Triglyceride Treatment Find Triglyceride Treatment. A Top Resource For Expert Advice. healthyweb.com
    Sponsored Links
    Side Effects
    The most common negative side effect of taking fish oil is the fish-like odor associated with burping and belching. Fish-like breath is socially embarrassing and unpleasant. Avoid this negative side effect by freezing the capsules for more of a time-release effect in your body. Fish oil is also considered a blood thinner. You may experience your skin easily bruising or suffer from increased nosebleeds. A more serious reaction to fish oil is experiencing a hemorrhagic stroke. This occurs only if you take high doses of fish oil. The most common dose of fish oil is 3 g per day, while some patients may be advised to take 4 g, reports the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Red Flags
    Recent studies have raised concerns for some patients who take fish oil. According to Harvard Medical School, patients who suffer from regular, severe chest pains may not be the best candidates to take the supplement. If you suffer from rigorous heart disease or often suffer from severe irregular heart rhythms, the medical school states fish oil or even eating fish regularly should be avoided. In several studies, people who suffered from these conditions and consumed regular doses of fish oil actually made the condition worse, reports the medical school.

Mercury
    Always read the bottle to discover what type of fish was used to create the supplement. Some types of fish have higher amounts of mercury than others. Most brands of fish oil are specifically formulated to remove all mercury. Instead of taking a fish oil supplement, choose a vegan omega-3 supplement. These supplements contain both EPA and DHA, but the fatty acids are directly extracted from algae. Fish receive omega-3 fatty acids by consuming algae directly.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36...#ixzz1h6DRSnQY

I thought I remember seeing it on the cover of some magazine within the last six months warning against it's use, but don't remember what magazine. Again, like I said, I don't take them so I wasn't overly interested. I want everyone to know that I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with either side of the fish-oil discussion. I have no personal experience and therefore no personal opinion on the subject.

Thx for the info T!! Bumping this.... for myself for scrutiny when I have more time!!!

NEW PLAN

5'10
    180 lbs
    19% BF (give or take a 1-2)
    30 years old

Going to do try the leangains approach in regards to diet:

maintenance cals: 2700 cals
    rest/cardio day: 1845 cals
    workout day: 2245 cals

rest/cardio day: protein 270g, carbs 90g, fats 45g

cardio 5:45am (10g BCAAs)
    meal 1 12:30pm 35% cals (~645 cals)
    meal 2 5:30pm 35% cals (~645 cals)
    (may do 2nd cardio session here)
    meal 3 8:00pm 30% cals (~555 cals)

workout day: protein 270g, carbs 190g, fats 45g

meal 1 12:30pm 35% cals (~786 cals)
    meal 2 5:30pm 15% cals (~336 cals)
    workout 6:00pm or so (3 day fullbody workout--High intensity training with only resting btwn leg exercise sets, superset upperbody with push/pull)
    meal 3 8:00pm 50% cals (~1123 cals)

i haven't thought about food for each meal yet, just did the numbers real quick. what are your thoughts on this, thanks!

I like the workout part, where'd you come up with that?

Thread Information