Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,280 of 1586
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by likelifting View Post
    Thanks.

I do NOT eat after 8pm. I get up around 6 and have black coffee or green tea. Its my understanding that is ok. I read that a tbsp of milk is ok too. ??? Then nothing till I get to the gym around this time 10am, 11am. I do cardio first thing. I change cuz I'm sweating quite a bit in my cardio clothes so I change and drink some bcaas.
    Tea/Coffee/Water is fine. Basically you're looking to stay away from anything with a caloric value. The tbsp of milk is probably fine, although technically speaking it's breaking a fast. That said, I can't imagine 1 tbsp of milk being a make or break of anything.

ExcalCk3 is offline New Member
    Hey GB, I have some questions concerning endurance runners. My girlfriend runs quite a bit and also works out, but she still has some BF she wants to shed.
    I'm not familiar with dieting for women nor how an endurance runner should split macos or cycle carbs, etc. If we were to calculate her TDEE based on her
    activity level, how should we split the macro nutrients? Also should she surplus on run days? Any info is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcalCk3 View Post
    Hey GB, I have some questions concerning endurance runners. My girlfriend runs quite a bit and also works out, but she still has some BF she wants to shed.
    I'm not familiar with dieting for women nor how an endurance runner should split macos or cycle carbs, etc. If we were to calculate her TDEE based on her
    activity level, how should we split the macro nutrients? Also should she surplus on run days? Any info is appreciated.
    I'd probably 'carb up' on her running days, mostly prior to running, but a bit after to replenish. I understand bodyfat being a concern, but she needs to fuel her activities first and foremost. I don't think she should surplus... just enough to get her through her workout/run. To deal with the bodyfat, i'd probably do low/no carbs on her off days.

Endurance training isn't my strong point, so I can't say with confidence that this is the best advice, but seems logical to me. You should have her join the board and talk with some of the other female members. I don't know if we have any endurance/runners, but females know their bodies better than we do.

basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Hey gb. Now that I am in the correct forum, I wanted to ask you what multivitamin you recommend. I am currently taking Opti-Men from Optimum Nutrition. Do you think that is a decent one? What one do you take? Also back on the topic of vitamin B12 injections. I read that only 5% of the oral B12 is absorbed by the body; therefore making it almost useless. That is why I was inquiring about vitamin B12 injections.

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Another stupid question which I should of asked about a year ago.. TDEE the online calculators seem extremely off. All they want is your total weight, to me your TDEE shouldn't count the tire around your gut. I believe I'm over eating like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    Hey gb. Now that I am in the correct forum, I wanted to ask you what multivitamin you recommend. I am currently taking Opti-Men from Optimum Nutrition. Do you think that is a decent one? What one do you take?
    Never used Opti-Men, but generally i'm a fan of ON products so i'd be inclined to say it's decent. I've been using Animal-Pak for a while now.

Also back on the topic of vitamin B12 injections. I read that only 5% of the oral B12 is absorbed by the body; therefore making it almost useless. That is why I was inquiring about vitamin B12 injections.
    Not sure about that figure, sounds quite low, and I have no doubt that delivery via injection is going to be more 'potent' and/or available. Is it worth the cost of injections and having to stick yourself all the time? I don't know... that's up to the individual. I'd say try it for a month and see if you can 'feel' any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Soar View Post
    Another stupid question which I should of asked about a year ago.. TDEE the online calculators seem extremely off. All they want is your total weight, to me your TDEE shouldn't count the tire around your gut. I believe I'm over eating like crazy.
    I never use online calculators for this reason. Total weight is a horrible way of calculating caloric needs. Body fat should NOT be calculated, it's not 'active' tissue. The formula's we often use are better but still not reliable IMO. The activity multiplier is the issue... it's too subjective... i.e. what YOU consider 'moderately active' and what I consider 'moderately active' could be 2 very different things.

A very simple formula that I've been using for years is LBM x 15 = TDEE. So if i'm 200lbs @ 10% bodyfat, my LBM is 180 (200 * .10 = 20. 200 - 20 = 180). 180 x 15 = 2700 calories. As crude as this formula is, believe it or not it comes out pretty close in my experience, 9 times out of 10. It took me a lot of convincing to get 405 on board, he was stuck on the formulas, but now he uses this one all the time. Like anything, it will require close attention and some adjustments. Ultimately, you have to listen to your body, that's the best formula.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 01-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    A very simple formula that I've been using for years is LBM x 15 = TDEE. So if i'm 200lbs @ 10% bodyfat, my LBM is 180 (200 * .10 = 20. 200 - 20 = 180). 180 x 15 = 2700 calories. As crude as this formula is, believe it or not it comes out pretty close in my experience, 9 times out of 10. It took me a lot of convincing to get 405 on board, he was stuck on the formulas, but now he uses this one all the time. Like anything, it will require close attention and some adjustments. Ultimately, you have to listen to your body, that's the best formula.

Hope this helps.
    Awesome thanks man!

basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Never used Opti-Men, but generally i'm a fan of ON products so i'd be inclined to say it's decent. I've been using Animal-Pak for a while now.

Not sure about that figure, sounds quite low, and I have no doubt that delivery via injection is going to be more 'potent' and/or available. Is it worth the cost of injections and having to stick yourself all the time? I don't know... that's up to the individual. I'd say try it for a month and see if you can 'feel' any benefit.

I never use online calculators for this reason. Total weight is a horrible way of calculating caloric needs. Body fat should NOT be calculated, it's not 'active' tissue. The formula's we often use are better but still not reliable IMO. The activity multiplier is the issue... it's too subjective... i.e. what YOU consider 'moderately active' and what I consider 'moderately active' could be 2 very different things.

Hope this helps.
    This formula doesn't take into account the calories burned working out, correct? I was referred to one of the Polar heart rate monitors to help calculate the amount of calories burned, but I believe it over estimates the amount slightly. How do you calculate the amount of calories you burn working out?

This formula doesn't take into account the calories burned working out, correct? I was referred to one of the Polar heart rate monitors to help calculate the amount of calories burned, but I believe it over estimates the amount slightly. How do you calculate the amount of calories you burn working out?
    Your true TDEE factors in all activity, hence, total daily energy expenditure. LBM x 15 = TDEE. As I said, it's crude and far from scientific, but it'll put you in the ballpark a majority of the time. For really high activity people (sports, running, etc. all on top of weight training and 'regular' cardio), it'll obviously be too low. As I said, it's a ballpark figure and requires supervision and tweaking to get to one's 'sweet spot'.

555mjolnir is offline Associate Member
    HI this may have been asked but this is such a long running "post" so if so i am sorry. Anyway I am 40 yrs old should this affect my tdee/bmr calculations? What I mean is since my body isn't building like a 20 yr old does this change anything for my caloric in take? or should I adjust amounts needed to build/bulk? or macros in any way cycle or not?

hrt 200mg ew t-cyp and HCG 500
    diet 6 meals made up of 6 whey scoopes 2 60z chic/ 1/2cup rice and one 6oz cooked ground beef rinsed of all fat in HOT h2o
    BF% guessing 15% thought was lower but trainer so NO

Also do the calculations above include caloric burn during cardio or should I add those back in?
    Last edited by 555mjolnir; 01-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 555mjolnir View Post
    HI this may have been asked but this is such a long running "post" so if so i am sorry. Anyway I am 40 yrs old should this affect my tdee/bmr calculations? What I mean is since my body isn't building like a 20 yr old does this change anything for my caloric in take? or should I adjust amounts needed to build/bulk? or macros in any way cycle or not?

hrt 200mg ew t-cyp and HCG 500
    diet 6 meals made up of 6 whey scoopes 2 60z chic/ 1/2cup rice and one 6oz cooked ground beef rinsed of all fat in HOT h2o
    BF% guessing 15% thought was lower but trainer so NO

Also do the calculations above include caloric burn during cardio or should I add those back in?
    It's possible that your metabolism has slowed a bit over the years, but I wouldn't change the formula based on that possibility. I'd use it and monitor my progress to see how close/far off it is, and adjust from that point.

The calculations above are to determine your TDEE - so yes, that encompasses EVERYTHING - cardio, weight training, getting up to pee in the middle of the night, etc.

555mjolnir is offline Associate Member
    Right on thank you for quick response. I am very impressed with all of you vet's and your knowledge and willingness help thanks again.

Right on thank you for quick response. I am very impressed with all of you vet's and your knowledge and willingness help thanks again.
    Thanks brother, glad to help!

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    They're great. Agree.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm no guru when it comes to the topic of eating, but I can definitely tell you you don't need 6 shakes a day! That is way over board, did someone tell you to do that ? Have 1 shake, maybe two per day, and have your protein in your meals come from actual food, not a powder.(tuna,chicken,beef,lentils,eggs,cottage cheese...the list goes on)

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post

I'm no guru when it comes to the topic of eating, but I can definitely tell you you don't need 6 shakes a day! That is way over board, did someone tell you to do that ? Have 1 shake, maybe two per day, and have your protein in your meals come from actual food, not a powder.(tuna,chicken,beef,lentils,eggs,cottage cheese...the list goes on)
    Inly time having a liquid diet is good is for cutting weight. Alot of diet companies do that now.

Bunchie is offline New Member
    I'm 29 years old 6'2 236lbs. I'm about to start my first cycle, I know my bf% is probably pretty high but i have a really good diet. My question is I want to build muscle but I want to loss fat as well. What would be a good diet plan to go on?

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    I'm too lazy to scroll up to the OP, but did he say 6 scoops = 6 meals? He maybe having more than a single scoop per sitting. In any event, I personally feel that eating 'real food' is more important when trying to add mass. During a cut, i'll often rely on shakes for upwards of 50% of my daily protein, although I should note my shakes are never just protein powder alone - they're blended with cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, egg whites, etc. So in essence, I guess i'm always eating 'real' food even in the presence of protein powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunchie View Post
    I'm 29 years old 6'2 236lbs. I'm about to start my first cycle, I know my bf% is probably pretty high but i have a really good diet.
    There's a lot wrong with this statement. First, if you have a 'really good' diet, then your body fat shouldn't be 'pretty high'. That's kind of a contradiction, don't you think? Secondly, it's generally bad practice to cycle with a higher bodyfat, the main reason being you're more prone to sides. What cycle are you planning? If I were you, I'd find out exactly what my bodyfat was instead of guessing. At the very least, post up some pics here (or PM me if you're not comfortable posting) for an educated guesstimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunchie View Post
    My question is I want to build muscle but I want to loss fat as well. What would be a good diet plan to go on?
    I always advise people to make one a priority over the other and focus on that priority. Everybody wants to lose fat and build muscle, but with the exception of newbs, genetic freaks, and/or people on tons of gear, it rarely happens, at least in an efficient and time effective way.

I'll withhold judgement until I see your pics and/or you get your bodyfat tested, but i'm inclined to think you'll probably need to cut first, get your bodyfat down to an appreciable number, then focus wholly on adding lean mass.

DeeJay7211 is offline New Member
    Hi GB!

48 male
    6.0'
    TRT 200mg/wk w/250iu hCG (Just started)
    19% BF
    Poor diet
    Goal: 185lbs and fairly cut.

Sorry, i'm a newb and just getting back in the gym and training. I have not read the many pages on this forum, yet (i will). I used to be ferocious in my training in my earlier years. However, haven't really done too much past 10yrs. I really want to get healthy and back in shape. I've been riding my mountain bike with heart monitor now for over 2 mo. Now up to 13 mi, it says im burning 880 calories on avg. Still not losing much weight. So i know its my diet....

Please, tell me, what do i need to do??? I really want this and will put in the work...

I have very low Total Cholesterol (which i thought was a good thing). As long as I remember, its never over 100. New Dr. indicated that it is too low and could cause some other problems. Essentially why im on TRT.

Thank you very much for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJay7211 View Post
    Hi GB!

48 male
    6.0'
    TRT 200mg/wk w/250iu hCG (Just started)
    19% BF
    Poor diet
    Goal: 185lbs and fairly cut.

Sorry, i'm a newb and just getting back in the gym and training. I have not read the many pages on this forum, yet (i will). I used to be ferocious in my training in my earlier years. However, haven't really done too much past 10yrs. I really want to get healthy and back in shape. I've been riding my mountain bike with heart monitor now for over 2 mo. Now up to 13 mi, it says im burning 880 calories on avg. Still not losing much weight. So i know its my diet....

Please, tell me, what do i need to do??? I really want this and will put in the work...

I have very low Total Cholesterol (which i thought was a good thing). As long as I remember, its never over 100. New Dr. indicated that it is too low and could cause some other problems. Essentially why im on TRT.

Thank you very much for responding!
    Hey DeeJay, welcome to the board!

Your best bet right now is to start a new thread here in the nutrition forum, introduce yourself (as you've done here) and post up a typical day's diet. The more info you can provide, the better we can assist - meaning, please do some research first and get all the macronutrient info jotted down. We can help you sort things out from there and get you well on your way to a lean physique!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    hey GB, what is your take on being sore and staying sore for long periods.

for instance, i killed my legs and hamstrings on monday. i have since then ran, stretched, biked, etc....and my legs, especially my hamstrings are still sore.

i am thinking it is more than just diet. i have been hitting my protein macros (250g) and have been trying to keep carbs around 100-125g per day, but still not healing well.

i also have gained weight eating at the same calories and worked harder this week. i gained about 5 pounds since monday, and i do not think it is just water. i do feel stronger but i am not sure if i can attribute the weight gain to just some muscle growth.

do you think it could be a hormone thing instead of just diet?

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    hey GB, what is your take on being sore and staying sore for long periods.

for instance, i killed my legs and hamstrings on monday. i have since then ran, stretched, biked, etc....and my legs, especially my hamstrings are still sore.

i am thinking it is more than just diet. i have been hitting my protein macros (250g) and have been trying to keep carbs around 100-125g per day, but still not healing well.

i also have gained weight eating at the same calories and worked harder this week. i gained about 5 pounds since monday, and i do not think it is just water. i do feel stronger but i am not sure if i can attribute the weight gain to just some muscle growth.

do you think it could be a hormone thing instead of just diet?
    It's tough to say... how long has it been before you trained hams as hard as you did Monday? I go through periods where I never get sore for months, then one day out of the blue, I'm destroyed. It's odd. I would say a good deep soreness will last maybe 3 days.. anything beyond that and I'd be slightly concerned with how I'm recovering. Are you resting/sleeping enough?

Re: weight gain - since diet hasn't changed, has anything else aside from working harder? 5lbs of muscle isn't going to happen in a week, so you probably are looking at some water - but that could also mean full glycogen stores which would help with strength as well.

It's tough to say... how long has it been before you trained hams as hard as you did Monday? I go through periods where I never get sore for months, then one day out of the blue, I'm destroyed. It's odd. I would say a good deep soreness will last maybe 3 days.. anything beyond that and I'd be slightly concerned with how I'm recovering. Are you resting/sleeping enough?

Re: weight gain - since diet hasn't changed, has anything else aside from working harder? 5lbs of muscle isn't going to happen in a week, so you probably are looking at some water - but that could also mean full glycogen stores which would help with strength as well.
    it had been a while since i trained with heavy weights. i killed them on monday! yeah, i know 5lbs of muscle isn't gonna happen. i have always been like this and it affects the rest of my workouts.

i prob do not get enough sleep and have always had trouble sleeping. for instance, last night i may have slept 5 hours, maybe. i am still needing/wanting to go do some bloodwork just to see how everything is working, hormonal wise. i am planning on maybe doing a test prop cycle come summer so wanting to know where i stand

diet will get tighter cuz it looks like i am in the conditioning classic or whatever/whoever signed me up for. (i think GGR and stem!)

i am also training for a triathlon that i plan on doing this fall so training will only get more intense. i would like to keep as much muscle tissue as i can, and hopefully build on what i have. trying to figure out the best approach for diet for that as well, since i will be doing a lot of two a days and a lot of cardio.

thanks

it had been a while since i trained with heavy weights. i killed them on monday! yeah, i know 5lbs of muscle isn't gonna happen. i have always been like this and it affects the rest of my workouts.
    This is why you're especially sore. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrition to fuel recovery, and try to rest more. Other than that, try to push through the pain. Don't believe the BS that you can't/shouldn't train while still sore. I'm not saying train the next day - but if 3 days later you still have a bit of soreness and are scheduled to train the same bodypart - do it.

i prob do not get enough sleep and have always had trouble sleeping. for instance, last night i may have slept 5 hours, maybe. i am still needing/wanting to go do some bloodwork just to see how everything is working, hormonal wise. i am planning on maybe doing a test prop cycle come summer so wanting to know where i stand
    Same here. I get 6 hours tops on my best night. Usually about 5 hours, and it's broken sleep at best. I have better nights, but some real doozies as well.

diet will get tighter cuz it looks like i am in the conditioning classic or whatever/whoever signed me up for. (i think GGR and stem!)
    Good!

i am also training for a triathlon that i plan on doing this fall so training will only get more intense. i would like to keep as much muscle tissue as i can, and hopefully build on what i have. trying to figure out the best approach for diet for that as well, since i will be doing a lot of two a days and a lot of cardio.

thanks
    Awesome. Always good to have a goal to train for... a tangible goal. I'll be training for something as well... not as serious as a triathlon - but still something I want to be in shape for (5k foam fest, lol).

Best bet is to train for endurance.... make sure your cardio and breathing are top notch.

This is why you're especially sore. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrition to fuel recovery, and try to rest more. Other than that, try to push through the pain. Don't believe the BS that you can't/shouldn't train while still sore. I'm not saying train the next day - but if 3 days later you still have a bit of soreness and are scheduled to train the same bodypart - do it.

Same here. I get 6 hours tops on my best night. Usually about 5 hours, and it's broken sleep at best. I have better nights, but some real doozies as well.

Good!

Awesome. Always good to have a goal to train for... a tangible goal. I'll be training for something as well... not as serious as a triathlon - but still something I want to be in shape for (5k foam fest, lol).

Best bet is to train for endurance.... make sure your cardio and breathing are top notch.
    breathing is def a problem, i have asthma!

hahahaha!

i want to get ripped like your avi, that is the main goal!

5k foam fest sounds right up my alley!

breathing is def a problem, i have asthma!

hahahaha!

i want to get ripped like your avi, that is the main goal!

5k foam fest sounds right up my alley!
    Man, that sucks. Just do the best you can... but keep yourself alive!

Natureboy71 is offline Associate Member

Question

gbrice75,
    Do you feel any concern with eating 40g's of almonds along with a 25g whey protein shake (with water, nothing else) as a mid morning snack? I was reading in some articles that whey can spike insulin levels. I am not cutting right now but could that spike with the fat from the almonds contribute to unneccessary fat gain? Or would this matter if all my macro's are in order for the entire day?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboy71 View Post
    gbrice75,
    Do you feel any concern with eating 40g's of almonds along with a 25g whey protein shake (with water, nothing else) as a mid morning snack? I was reading in some articles that whey can spike insulin levels. I am not cutting right now but could that spike with the fat from the almonds contribute to unneccessary fat gain? Or would this matter if all my macro's are in order for the entire day?

thanks!
    If it fits your macros, don't sweat it. It's not just whey - all proteins have some effect on insulin, but not to the extent that carbs do.

jusfrea is offline New Member
    Did my calculations on cutting 101 came up with 2850 cal to maintain does that seem high I'm 42 train 5-6 days a week 192lbs 5' 8"

Quote Originally Posted by jusfrea View Post
    Did my calculations on cutting 101 came up with 2850 cal to maintain does that seem high I'm 42 train 5-6 days a week 192lbs 5' 8"
    What's your BF%?

BF% is 25 I'm really trying to focus my energy on cutting that in 1/2 I've always had the mentality eat eat eat get big then cut well I hurt my back pretty bad a year ago that sidelined me now I'm back but way off what I used to be

BF% is 25 I'm really trying to focus my energy on cutting that in 1/2 I've always had the mentality eat eat eat get big then cut well I hurt my back pretty bad a year ago that sidelined me now I'm back but way off what I used to be
    I think it's too high. I have your TDEE pegged at around 2200 calories... personally I'm not a fan of the formulas. I know they're in the sticky I wrote... let's just say I wasn't given the option NOT to put them in there although i'm personally not a fan.

A much simpler (and IMO more accurate, however crude) formula as follows:

LBM x 15 = TDEE

So in your case, at 192lbs and 25% bodyfat, your LBM is 144lbs (192 x .25 = 48) (192 - 48 = 144), and you're carrying 48lbs of fat.

To get your TDEE, we simply calculate 144 x 15 = 2160, round up to 2200.

Thanks I thought it seemed high i appreciate the help what do you think I should drop down to 1900 for start and adjust from there?

Thanks I thought it seemed high i appreciate the help what do you think I should drop down to 1900 for start and adjust from there?
    Just to keep things on the up and up, you may want to start at a nice round 2000 calories and monitor/adjust from that point based on progress (or lack thereof). Once you get into the 2000 calorie and below range, it's always a good idea to increase activity (cardio) whenever possible vs. cutting calories further IMO.

Gotcha thanks again very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by jusfrea;63***26
    Gotcha thanks again very helpful
    np, good luck, keep us posted!

inan_fener is offline New Member
    Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by inan_fener View Post
    Thanks so much!
    Uh... you're welcome!?

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Gbruce!!

please tell me whats wrong with this food choice for cutting. *blueberries are at 50g now, so those macros cut in half* and! will be no fat Greek yogurt replacing the 98% fat free Greek yogurt

Foods
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
    Shake
    Lowan - Natural Oat Bran, 100 g 385 52g 10g 15g 0mg 5mg 2g 13g
    Melrose - Organic Golden Flax Meal, 10 g 33 1g 1g 4g 0mg 3mg 0g 3g
    Creative Gourmet - Fresh Frozen Blueberries, 100 g 53 12g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 11g 2g
    Generic - 10 Raw Almonds , 20 almonds 138 5g 12g 5g 0mg 0mg 1g 3g
    Cytosport - Complete Whey Cocoa Bean, 1 scoop, 28g 110 3g 2g 20g 65mg 100mg 2g 1g
    Sog - 3 - Food Supplement, 10 grams (GREENS) 164 9g 1g 1g 0mg 74mg 1g 1g
    Chobani Greek Yoghurt - Plain Low Fat 2% - Aus, 200 g 138 8g 3g 19g 0mg 204mg 5g 0g
    TOTAL:
    1,021 90g 29g 65g 65mg 386mg 22g 23g

^^ not following you... is this a trick question or something!?

Thread Information