Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,400 of 1586
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Yep, high on Tuesday, low Wednesday... on second though, if anything for Thursday, go with moderate. No point in going moderate-high on Friday since you'll really just be fueling up for a bike ride Sat. morning.

The goal here is fueling for upcoming activity, and keeping fuel intake lower during lesser activity/depletive (i.e. cardio-esque) type work.
    that's what i was thinking just wasn't sure. looking just one high day then and the rest will be low and mod.

i am hoping to get my body to partition nutrients differently, seems my body just wants to store/hang on to fat!

and thanks again!
    Last edited by RaginCajun; 05-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    gbrice75 likes this.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    that's what i was thinking just wasn't sure. looking just one high day then and the rest will be low and mod.

i am hoping to get my body to partition nutrients differently, seems my body just wants to store/hang on to fat!

and thanks again!
    Same here. Only way to increase feed efficiency (naturally) is to get lean... kind of a catch 22 but it's doable.

thabeastmaster is offline Associate Member
    whatcha think Gbrice?..... two weeks, no losses....not gaining...but stayed the same (strength still going up tho)....time to recalculate? (goal right now is strictly fat loss)

RipOwens is offline Member
    Hey GB, been focusing on bulking (not really lean bulking), just wondering what macro breakdown I should shoot for? Right now I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% protein/45% carb/15% fat. Am I on the right track?

Stats
    5'9"
    BF% 16-18

Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    whatcha think Gbrice?..... two weeks, no losses....not gaining...but stayed the same (strength still going up tho)....time to recalculate? (goal right now is strictly fat loss)
    Not necessarily. Not losing/gaining weight isn't a good indicator in and of itself. Strength actually going up (vs. staying the same) is a great sign that you're recomping.

Seeing as it's been a week since you posted this (and I'm assuming you haven't changed anything yet), what's your current status?

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post
    Hey GB, been focusing on bulking (not really lean bulking), just wondering what macro breakdown I should shoot for? Right now I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% protein/45% carb/15% fat. Am I on the right track?

Stats
    5'9"
    BF% 16-18
    Rip, I believe we addressed this in another thread already? If not, let me know and we'll do it here.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Not necessarily. Not losing/gaining weight isn't a good indicator in and of itself. Strength actually going up (vs. staying the same) is a great sign that you're recomping.

Seeing as it's been a week since you posted this (and I'm assuming you haven't changed anything yet), what's your current status?

Rip, I believe we addressed this in another thread already? If not, let me know and we'll do it here.
    I put this in another thread but never got ur feedback, would still like to hear ur thoughts!! And actually, i jacked my carbs in my macro split so it's 37% pro/51% carb/12% fat.

Whenever u get a chance I know you we're away

I put this in another thread but never got ur feedback, would still like to hear ur thoughts!! And actually, i jacked my carbs in my macro split so it's 37% pro/51% carb/12% fat.

Whenever u get a chance I know you we're away
    How is this working out for you?

Personally, I'd have my fats higher - somewhere between 15-20% of total calories. What is your total daily caloric allotment?

So far so good. Total I'm hittin around 3,100 cals a day. That might be a bit high over my TDEE tho.

Higher % fats? Also I'm realistically at prolly 18% BF now.

So far so good. Total I'm hittin around 3,100 cals a day. That might be a bit high over my TDEE tho.

Higher % fats? Also I'm realistically at prolly 18% BF now.
    Having fats too low can negatively impact a number of health-related things (more than I want to go into here), but also, when you consider the fact that testosterone is ultimately derived from fat, the importance of 'sufficient' fat intake becomes more apparent.

What would you say your fat macro is at on most days?

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I have been reading your posts on insulin resistance and was wondering what type of levels would be optimum after various meals or after fasting? I am interested to find out how my blood sugar levels are reacting and if I might have a problem. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    I have been reading your posts on insulin resistance and was wondering what type of levels would be optimum after various meals or after fasting? I am interested to find out how my blood sugar levels are reacting and if I might have a problem. Thanks.
    You'd probably be better off researching this to be honest, as I'm admittedly not an authority on the subject and still trying to figure things out for myself. Obviously, you should expect lower/more stable levels during/after periods of fasting, and higher levels after a meal. Check out Wikipedia's info for starters:

Blood sugar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your best bet would be to get a relatively inexpensive test kit/monitor and measure your levels at various intervals throughout a 24 hour period, then compare with what's considered 'optimal' or 'normal' ranges. I still need/want to do this myself.

I just ordered on and will do just that! Thanks.

Having fats too low can negatively impact a number of health-related things (more than I want to go into here), but also, when you consider the fact that testosterone is ultimately derived from fat, the importance of 'sufficient' fat intake becomes more apparent.

What would you say your fat macro is at on most days?
    I'd say I keep it below 20% on most days

I was reading in one of the stickey's about how it can be beneficial to cheat every once in a while. If I remember I think it said once a week to keep the body guessing and not getting in a comfort zone. Do you think this sounds logical? I have been eating very clean and staying on macro's since 4 April. If there is logic in this then tonight would be a most excellent night to eat some pizza, beer and the like. Thoughts?

aussie made is offline Associate Member
    Gb. I'm finishing up on a cut and now I want to lean bulk. Do I go back to maintenance for a few weeks or do I just straight up the calories? Would 500 calories surplus be to high to lean bulk?

Jamesturner is offline New Member
    I have always had a high metabolism. I am 6'4 170lbs and 11.5% fat i am really into crossfit and do it 3-5 days per week. no matter what i do i cant make any significant strength or weight gains. I am thinking about doing a cycle but want to make sure i do it right and as safely as possible. i know diet is very important so Here is my diet on a typical day. Please offer any suggestions.
    Breakfast- 3 eggs, bagel, bowl of oatmeal
    3 hours later- peanut butter sandwich and a protein shake (muscle milk)
    Lunch- chicken breast, veggies and rice or noddles
    3 hours later another sandwich and muscle milk
    WORK OUT -whey immediately (like I catch my breath then drink it down fast as I can while I am still huffing and puffing)
    Dinner usually and hour or so after work out- chicken beef or fish with veggies and a carb or starch (normal balanced means)
    3 hours later another sandwich and a bowl of all natural ice cream (heard ice cream was a good source of fats)
    Large casein protein shake before bed. Was told this was the best for right before bed because it is slower digesting
    So what do you think.

Btw, thanks for your help and any tips you can give. I am not jumping into anything until I am well educated and am sure I am doing it correctly and as safely as possible.

Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    So my cutting plans are 250/150/50 worried on to little protein but its 1.5 grams per pound of lbm. I can post full diet if needed my maintenance is 2,430 roughly. This diet proposed is 2,050 IYO is that to much of a drop? I had a mental block toward cutting cuz I get smaller looking quick but ill follow it through this time. Also for training I do DY HIT training to failure an love it can I lower the weight to imitate more reps and still train till failure? Or can I just keep the training the same.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Do you prefer your left or right hand? (The title does say "ask anything" ) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    I have to use both one to hold it up and the other to do the work lol.
    gbrice75 likes this.

armyranger516862006 is offline Associate Member
    GB for a person who is 270lbs and there main focus is to lose fat, what should there macronutrients look like? Example Protein 300, Carb 150 (or lower), Fat 60. Is that a good start?

The majority of the Carbs will be Breakfast and Pre Workout is that a good way to thimk? Thanks a bunch!

I'd say I keep it below 20% on most days
    How many grams roughly? I like below 20%, but i'm more worried about HOW low, i.e. below 20% could mean 5% (extreme example, I'm sure you're not doing this) - know what I mean?

I was reading in one of the stickey's about how it can be beneficial to cheat every once in a while. If I remember I think it said once a week to keep the body guessing and not getting in a comfort zone. Do you think this sounds logical? I have been eating very clean and staying on macro's since 4 April. If there is logic in this then tonight would be a most excellent night to eat some pizza, beer and the like. Thoughts?
    Sorry I'm answering this days late... did you have the pizza and beer!?

I don't think it's beneficial to "cheat". Depending on what you're doing (e.g. cutting), a planned caloric overage can be beneficial. A lot of people call this a refeed, particularly when eating low carbs for several consecutive days.

With that said - what does your current diet plan look like? I don't need to know your food choices, macros are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie made View Post
    Gb. I'm finishing up on a cut and now I want to lean bulk. Do I go back to maintenance for a few weeks or do I just straight up the calories? Would 500 calories surplus be to high to lean bulk?
    Personally I'll always go to maintenance for 4-6 weeks. Some people's bodies 'like' the surplus calories after a cut and use em' up. Unfortunately, my body isn't very efficient. So, this depends on how your body reacts to 'bulking' IMO. Do you gain/store fat easily? If so, maintenance for a while would probably be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesturner View Post
    I have always had a high metabolism. I am 6'4 170lbs and 11.5% fat i am really into crossfit and do it 3-5 days per week. no matter what i do i cant make any significant strength or weight gains. I am thinking about doing a cycle but want to make sure i do it right and as safely as possible. i know diet is very important so Here is my diet on a typical day. Please offer any suggestions.
    Before even getting into diet - IMO, stop doing Crossfit. You're a 6'4 guy carrying roughly 150lbs LBM (based on your numbers), meaning you are VERY skinny. Crossfit isn't designed to add mass, that's for sure. At your height/weight and BF%, you're an excellent candidate to lean bulk IMO. You need to start a proper weight training regimen, and eat at a slight caloric surplus. You have to stimulate muscle growth bro, and I'm sorry to say, Crossfit isn't sufficient IMHO. It's better geared towards slightly overweight people looking to get 'in shape'.

Breakfast- 3 eggs, bagel, bowl of oatmeal

3 hours later- peanut butter sandwich and a protein shake (muscle milk)

Lunch- chicken breast, veggies and rice or noddles

3 hours later another sandwich and muscle milk

WORK OUT -whey immediately (like I catch my breath then drink it down fast as I can while I am still huffing and puffing)
    Why?

Dinner usually and hour or so after work out- chicken beef or fish with veggies and a carb or starch (normal balanced means)

3 hours later another sandwich and a bowl of all natural ice cream (heard ice cream was a good source of fats)
    You heard wrong, and whoever told you that is an idiot. Don't listen to that person, ever.

Large casein protein shake before bed. Was told this was the best for right before bed because it is slower digesting
    Best? No. Good choice? Yes.

So what do you think.

Btw, thanks for your help and any tips you can give. I am not jumping into anything until I am well educated and am sure I am doing it correctly and as safely as possible.
    You have the right attitude bro, now you just need proper direction and you'll be well on your way. How old are you? Regardless of your age, DEFINITELY do not cycle right now. You don't know how to train or eat. AAS usage will do you ZERO good. Even if you make gains (which you probably wouldn't), you'd lose them as soon as you get off AAS because you don't know how to eat to maintain them. Trust me on this. Build a natural muscle base while building your personal knowledge base, and rethink cycling in a few years when you may have possibly reached your genetic potential.

Your diet can use work for sure, but it's hard for me to know what you're eating without knowing macronutrient info (protein/carbs/fats per meal). Also, a 'sandwich' doesn't tell me anything. PB&J, or roast beef? Know what I mean!?

PS - Your best bet would be to start a new (your own) thread. You'll get help from other knowledgeable members beside me. I try to keep this thread on track as a 'general knowledge' thread vs. a personal consultation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707 View Post
    So my cutting plans are 250/150/50 worried on to little protein but its 1.5 grams per pound of lbm. I can post full diet if needed my maintenance is 2,430 roughly. This diet proposed is 2,050 IYO is that to much of a drop? I had a mental block toward cutting cuz I get smaller looking quick but ill follow it through this time. Also for training I do DY HIT training to failure an love it can I lower the weight to imitate more reps and still train till failure? Or can I just keep the training the same.
    1- Nice macros.

2- 1.5g/lb of LBM is PLENTY. I'm actually thinking of reducing my protein intake and upping my fats (protein currently at 1.5g/lb of LBM also), if that makes you feel any better.

3- I don't think a 400 calorie deficit is too low. Perfect actually, IMO.

4- We all have that issue while cutting (worried about looking smaller). I'm going through it right now. I looked big and bulky over the winter at 219lbs (currently 196) in clothes, but looked like a fat ass when the shirt came off. I look much better right now... and will continue until I'm probably around 185lbs tbh.

5- As I mentioned in the carb cycle thread, I don't think HIT training is ideal for cutting. That's not what it was designed for, and while it may 'work' or be tweaked for cutting, there are other approaches that already work better 'as-is'. (GVT, GBC, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Clearly you mean when I'm working the TV remote! Right hand for that, of course!

Thanks for stopping by Lunk. Credible post as always, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by armyranger516862006 View Post
    GB for a person who is 270lbs and there main focus is to lose fat, what should there macronutrients look like? Example Protein 300, Carb 150 (or lower), Fat 60. Is that a good start?
    What's your BF%? My answer would be much different for a person 270lbs @ 10% vs. 270lbs @ 25%.

The majority of the Carbs will be Breakfast and Pre Workout is that a good way to thimk? Thanks a bunch!
    Yep, that's the way I like it too.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 05-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.

I did have the pizza and beer. I ended up 575 calories over for the day. For what it's worth I hit a new low on the scale the next morning but doubt it had anything to do with the cheat.

Currently I am on a 40/40/20, 235 grams of protein, 235 grams of carbs, and 52 grams of fat for a total of 2348 calories.

I did have the pizza and beer. I ended up 575 calories over for the day. For what it's worth I hit a new low on the scale the next morning but doubt it had anything to do with the cheat.

Currently I am on a 40/40/20, 235 grams of protein, 235 grams of carbs, and 52 grams of fat for a total of 2348 calories.
    In that case, cheers! 575 calories over isn't bad.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Bf% ? I owe all of my diet knowledge the the members dosing in the nutrition forum. Without the help I've gotten over there I'd have made it no where with my training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-image-3589139075.jpg   ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-image-3099061814.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    In that case, cheers! 575 calories over isn't bad.
    It almost felt like I was cheating on my wife... lol. Won't be doing a cheat day again for awhile but it was a nice change.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    Bf% ? I owe all of my diet knowledge the the members dosing in the nutrition forum. Without the help I've gotten over there I'd have made it no where with my training.
    12-13ish. We're carrying very similar bodyfat currently.

Damn bro, awesome wheels... I wish I had quads like yours. I have these long, skinny fcking stilts.

"How many grams roughly? I like below 20%, but i'm more worried about HOW low, i.e. below 20% could mean 5% (extreme example, I'm sure you're not doing this) - know what I mean?"

Hey GB, my fat grams are at about 85 a day.

12-13ish. We're carrying very similar bodyfat currently.

Damn bro, awesome wheels... I wish I had quads like yours. I have these long, skinny fcking stilts.
    Haha! Mine would be too If I weren't 5'5". Thanks GB!

BF is about 25%. It's horrible because I know how I used to feel when I was 225. Thanks!

Now I know you mentioned you like your carbs in the am and pre workout but for me I have my oats in the am then hit the gym then have pwo shake after workout and the remaining 25 g of carbs after the shake meal and another 25 after that is that not good should I have 50 In the am 50 after workout and 50 after the shake? It would be like 50 in oats at like 9:00 or 930 50 in brown rice at 12:00 or 12:00 and 50 at 3:00 or 3:00. (To clarify)
    Last edited by Dougiefresh7707; 05-20-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Hey GB, my fat grams are at about 85 a day.
    Nice number, looks good bro.

Haha! Mine would be too If I weren't 5'5". Thanks GB!
    Lmao, I feel a *little* better!

BF is about 25%. It's horrible because I know how I used to feel when I was 225. Thanks!
    Rough maintenance estimated around 3000 cals depending on activity level. You could cut calories slightly or do more cardio, but based on 3000 cals, something like:

300g protein
    250g carbs
    85g fat

Play with those numbers, monitor and adjust as needed. i.e. carb cycle in low carb days (<50g) furthering your deficit on those days (don't raise fats or proteins to compensate). Just some ideas, no hard rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707 View Post
    Now I know you mentioned you like your carbs in the am and pre workout but for me I have my oats in the am then hit the gym then have pwo shake after workout and the remaining 25 g of carbs after the shake meal and another 25 after that is that not good should I have 50 In the am 50 after workout and 50 after the shake? It would be like 50 in oats at like 9:00 or 930 50 in brown rice at 12:00 or 12:00 and 50 at 3:00 or 3:00. (To clarify)
    I don't necessarily like them in the am per se; I like them mostly around my workout window which just happens to be in the am. If I worked out at 7pm, I'd have a small carb meal in the am (maybe) and the bulk of carbs preworkout in the evening. Energy taken in anticipation of activity... time of day has nothing to do with it. It's the same reason why I hate when people suggest cutting carbs in the 'evening'. What about people who work out in the evening? All relative to activity IMO.

Here's a mind boggler for you GB. I'm 5'5 and 165lbs, through trial and error I have found my maintenance calories at this weight to be at 3000 per day.

Now I keep seeing people recommend no more than 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass.

I'm currently doing a fair job of recomping at 3000 cals per day with a macro split around 40/40/20. This has me at 300g protein which is about 2.1g/pound of lean mass.

This seems to be working well for now, but I hate the fact that my maintenance cals are higher than the bulking cals of guys with 20+ lbs on me. It makes for very difficult bulking runs.

Dadstrength is offline Junior Member
    Quick question GB. I hear that putting a scoop of peanut butter in my shake at night will slow down the absorption rate. My shake is 16oz egg white, 1 cup milk and half scoop of chocolate protein powder for flavor. The logic behind what I hear is that the fats from the PB will slow down the absorption rate. My question is since I'm not much of a PB person. Wouldn't the fats in whole milk slow down the absorption just as well as the PB?

Thanks GB! Will mess around with those number. Can't wait to get back into all. Also what should a cut Pre and Post nutrition consist of? My post workout has to be my dinner because i have to go to bed a couple hours later. Thanks again GB!

Here's a mind boggler for you GB. I'm 5'5 and 165lbs, through trial and error I have found my maintenance calories at this weight to be at 3000 per day.

Now I keep seeing people recommend no more than 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass.

I'm currently doing a fair job of recomping at 3000 cals per day with a macro split around 40/40/20. This has me at 300g protein which is about 2.1g/pound of lean mass.

This seems to be working well for now, but I hate the fact that my maintenance cals are higher than the bulking cals of guys with 20+ lbs on me. It makes for very difficult bulking runs.
    You have to remember that we aren't all created equally. Don't get caught in the trap of being mindfvcked with numbers (a place I spent 2 years in and am literally just coming out of now) ... you have to do what produces RESULTS, which is more accurate than any number an online calculator, me, or anybody else on this board can estimate for you.

Look at me - Nearly 180lbs LBM which should have my maintenance around 2700 calories/day, yet I can get fat on 2500 if I'm not careful. That's just the way it goes sometimes... genetics brother. Seems to me they're in your favor.

Bottom line: If you're making what you consider acceptable/favorable progress with what you're currently doing, leave it alone and don't think about the numbers. They're arbitrary for the most part, and most definitely secondary to results. Rest your mind my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadstrength View Post
    Quick question GB. I hear that putting a scoop of peanut butter in my shake at night will slow down the absorption rate. My shake is 16oz egg white, 1 cup milk and half scoop of chocolate protein powder for flavor. The logic behind what I hear is that the fats from the PB will slow down the absorption rate. My question is since I'm not much of a PB person. Wouldn't the fats in whole milk slow down the absorption just as well as the PB?
    Any fat will do the same, so yea, you're gtg. If you're using casein protein powder, even better.

Thanks GB! Will mess around with those number. Can't wait to get back into all. Also what should a cut Pre and Post nutrition consist of? My post workout has to be my dinner because i have to go to bed a couple hours later. Thanks again GB!
    There's no right or wrong answer to this honestly. If you're cutting, training in the evening and going to bed a few hours later, I'd probably opt for a high carb preworkout meal, and ditch carbs the rest of the evening. Have a high protein, moderate fat dinner and hit the pillow. Just my personal preference. If you want to split the carbs over the course of those 2 meals, it probably won't make much of a difference, unless you want to get into technical shit like elevated insulin levels blunting GH release (which is optimized while you sleep), etc. lol

Dadstrength is offline Junior Member
    Thanks GB. Always helpful. Glad I found this thread on here. Cuz i 'ask GB everything' lol thanks again man.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadstrength View Post
    Thanks GB. Always helpful. Glad I found this thread on here. Cuz i 'ask GB everything' lol thanks again man.
    lol, anytime brother.

You have to remember that we aren't all created equally. Don't get caught in the trap of being mindfvcked with numbers (a place I spent 2 years in and am literally just coming out of now) ... you have to do what produces RESULTS, which is more accurate than any number an online calculator, me, or anybody else on this board can estimate for you.

Look at me - Nearly 180lbs LBM which should have my maintenance around 2700 calories/day, yet I can get fat on 2500 if I'm not careful. That's just the way it goes sometimes... genetics brother. Seems to me they're in your favor.

Bottom line: If you're making what you consider acceptable/favorable progress with what you're currently doing, leave it alone and don't think about the numbers. They're arbitrary for the most part, and most definitely secondary to results. Rest your mind my friend!
    . lol
    Yeah works out well on the cutting side. The bulk end is the hard part. Hit it hard for the bulk classic here on the board, but on near 3800 cals per day all gains halted at 172. Just a struggle trying pack it all in.

Thanks for the kind words. Always enjoy your input.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Your awesome GB! Great advice! I will get back with you in the future to update with progress! Thanks again Buddy!
    gbrice75 likes this.

Yeah works out well on the cutting side. The bulk end is the hard part. Hit it hard for the bulk classic here on the board, but on near 3800 cals per day all gains halted at 172. Just a struggle trying pack it all in.

Thanks for the kind words. Always enjoy your input.
    THIS is where protein powders and the like can be your best friend.

Anytime bro.

Your awesome GB! Great advice! I will get back with you in the future to update with progress! Thanks again Buddy!
    Good deal Army, definitely do keep us posted!

Thread Information