Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,560 of 1586
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

.DeadPool. is offline New Member
    Thanks for the advice and reply gbrice, much appreciated Bro!

I think I need to go back to basics, I am over complicating everything and as khazima said micro managing. What would you recommend for post workout carbs instead of vitargo?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by .DeadPool. View Post
    Thanks for the advice and reply gbrice, much appreciated Bro!

I think I need to go back to basics, I am over complicating everything and as khazima said micro managing. What would you recommend for post workout carbs instead of vitargo?
    I think most of us have done the same bro ... I know I have. At some point, you realize it doesn't have to be complicated. The problem is, today with the internet, social media, and SO much (sometimes conflicting) information at your fingertips, you just get overwhelmed.

The fact is, most of this BS we worry over won't make an appreciable difference for most people. Competitive bodybuilding, particularly during contest prep, is another animal. Too many 'regular' guys trying to apply all those principles to their everyday lifestyle unnecessarily.

Re: PWO carbs - for me, it's almost always oats. Sometimes oats and a piece of fruit if I feel like it. I was never a proponent of the 'fact acting carbs' and associated insulin spike. Again, totally unnecessary IMO.

Honestly though, any carb source will do. Rice, potatoes, oats, beans, whatever.

Rida5d is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    How long did you run the supposed 500 calorie deficit? How consistent were you during that time frame? How about the other attempts to change (surplus, keto, etc.)?

If you're TDEE is truly 2500 and you weren't seeing changes at 2000 calories, then something is off. You either didn't give it enough time, weren't consistent in your approach, or some other factor(s) that we can hopefully figure out.
    The first stage (-500) cals lasted for 3 weeks..
    Then each change I made like adding cardio or lowering my cals more was only one week..
    I was counting every single calorie I was eating , weighing every gram I eat on a weight scale..

2 notes:
    1- I approached ur cutting diet and lost lots of fat few months ago, but now I'm little stuck unless I go in severe caloric deficit as posted above.
    2- I had my cortisol checked , and it's high , over the range .. As I'm screwed up at work.

VoRTeXO77 is offline New Member
    hi, reverse diet really worth after a cut or is enough to increase the calories by 250(aka carbs) or so till you gain the amount of weight you want to gain. (3-4 months cut)

Quote Originally Posted by Rida5d View Post
    The first stage (-500) cals lasted for 3 weeks..
    Then each change I made like adding cardio or lowering my cals more was only one week..
    I was counting every single calorie I was eating , weighing every gram I eat on a weight scale..
    Ok, well at least it sounds like you were doing things correctly/consistently. What did you do when you 'stopped' - how did you eat then, and how did your body respond? Did you simply put back on bodyfat?

2 notes:
    1- I approached ur cutting diet and lost lots of fat few months ago, but now I'm little stuck unless I go in severe caloric deficit as posted above.
    We definitely don't want you in a severe caloric deficit; it may help short term, but long term it'll fck you up. I've always been a fan of higher input/output vs. lower input/output. That is, eat more (i.e. no severe caloric deficit), and add more activity. I realize this isn't possible for some people due to time constraint, life, etc. What kind of cardio activity are you adding in?

2- I had my cortisol checked , and it's high , over the range .. As I'm screwed up at work.
    Well, this is concerning. How high are we talking? What's your score?

Quote Originally Posted by VoRTeXO77 View Post
    hi, reverse diet really worth after a cut or is enough to increase the calories by 250(aka carbs) or so till you gain the amount of weight you want to gain. (3-4 months cut)
    Personally, I think reverse dieting is a more cautious approach, but it depends on your stats post-cut, and what you're trying to accomplish. What were your stats at the beginning and end of your cut? Do you have pics?

VoRTeXO77 is offline New Member
    Personally, I think reverse dieting is a more cautious approach, but it depends on your stats post-cut, and what you're trying to accomplish. What were your stats at the beginning and end of your cut? Do you have pics?
    171 pounds(on start), I try to get as lean as I can to start clean bulking with a surplus of 300-400 calories. I did not done my cut yet. Imo, it does not worth to bulk unless I get to a low body fat percentage, maybe I'm wrong. I wondered if after my cut I should go for 250 cal/week till I hit 300-400 calories surplus...or go for 100 cals every week as a reverse diet.
    Last edited by VoRTeXO77; 12-30-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Rida5d is offline Member
    ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-image.jpg
    Ok, well at least it sounds like you were doing things correctly/consistently. What did you do when you 'stopped' - how did you eat then, and how did your body respond? Did you simply put back on bodyfat?

well I never stopped brother, I'm still on the diet but approaching a flexible way.. I never exceed 2000 cals , at least at the holidays, I take a free meal on Sunday as I'm not a big fan of structured refeeds , I crash on them..
    Anyways , I got back to the 200 lbs , the point that I started with

We definitely don't want you in a severe caloric deficit; it may help short term, but long term it'll fck you up. I've always been a fan of higher input/output vs. lower input/output. That is, eat more (i.e. no severe caloric deficit), and add more activity. I realize this isn't possible for some people due to time constraint, life, etc. What kind of cardio activity are you adding in?

the only time I saw the results was when I went to 1600 cals on a keto without cardio , I function well on low carbs diets , but when I reached to the 1600 cals I had to drop the fat intake and that's when unfortunately my work outs started to suffer , I lost few reps and the weight on the bar went also down

When I do cardio it's : Light speed , vertical treadmill as I can , for 30 min , 3 times a week ,

Well, this is concerning. How high are we talking? What's your score?

High enough please check the attached blood work
    Welcome back brother..

In bold , attached my blood work..

Jay414 is offline New Member
    Hi I'm looking to shred some body fat I'm Currently about 26 % bmi my goal is to get to 10-15 % bf i need some help with my diet supplements and training my stats are age 26 hight 5ft10 182.5 lbs 26% bmi I'd appreciate any help thanks

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Can I eat cookie dough for post workout insulin spike? :-)

17chester6 is offline Junior Member
    I'm trying to slowly and steadily gain lean mass. I am carb sensitive so my diet tends to be protein and fat heavy and the carbs are mostly vegetables. I'm mostly paleo but will eat legumes and dairy (mostly Greek yogurt and cheese).

Is there a site where I can access a meal plan for the above assuming my normal calorie requirements are 2600 calories (so I would try for a 2800 calorie diet)? It seems so labour intensive to try and work out a weeks worth of meal plans and there probably is already a bunch of meal templates somewhere on the web that I can use. Most of the plans that I have seen are high in carbs and that would just cause abdominal fat to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukkit View Post
    Can I eat cookie dough for post workout insulin spike? :-)
    No. But only because you're too fat already. But, I like em' thick, you sexy fvcker.

Quote Originally Posted by 17chester6 View Post
    I'm trying to slowly and steadily gain lean mass. I am carb sensitive so my diet tends to be protein and fat heavy and the carbs are mostly vegetables. I'm mostly paleo but will eat legumes and dairy (mostly Greek yogurt and cheese).

Is there a site where I can access a meal plan for the above assuming my normal calorie requirements are 2600 calories (so I would try for a 2800 calorie diet)? It seems so labour intensive to try and work out a weeks worth of meal plans and there probably is already a bunch of meal templates somewhere on the web that I can use. Most of the plans that I have seen are high in carbs and that would just cause abdominal fat to develop.
    Not that I'm a huge fan, but for you, how about the Crossfit/Paleo approach? The diets/meal plans are pretty much already spelled out. Just a though.

tice1212 is offline Productive Member
    Good morning gbrice75

Stats:
    190lbs
    5'9
    @10%bf
    Weight train 5 days (weight train 70-80mins + cardio 65+ (low intensity elliptical)
    Active rest days 2 (elliptical low intensity 90+ mins)

Goal: is to build muscle and burn fat (like everyone in the world lol)

Questions:
    1: My TDEE is 2950 a day to maintain my weight at 190lbs. I'm meaning that number almost every day. Now I know I should be at least maintenance calories or in a calories surplus to build muscle right? Or only a calorie surplus will build muscle?

2: since I'm meeting my calorie goal i should be able to gain muscle but know my question is since I'm doing 65+mins of low intensity cardio a day am I in a deficiency to where my body won't grow?

3: since all I can do is low intensity cardio I understand the body uses 70%fat and 30%carbs for fuel. Would it be best to split my calories up like this.. 40% carbs/40% protein/20%fats because then I can burn more stored fat? What would be the best calorie split?

Thank you for ur time

Quote Originally Posted by tice1212 View Post
    Good morning gbrice75

Stats:
    190lbs
    5'9
    @10%bf
    Weight train 5 days (weight train 70-80mins + cardio 65+ (low intensity elliptical)
    Active rest days 2 (elliptical low intensity 90+ mins)
    Nice stats - is that you in your avy??

Goal: is to build muscle and burn fat (like everyone in the world lol)

Questions:
    1: My TDEE is 2950 a day to maintain my weight at 190lbs. I'm meaning that number almost every day. Now I know I should be at least maintenance calories or in a calories surplus to build muscle right? Or only a calorie surplus will build muscle?
    Generally speaking, input needs to be greater than output in order to grow, so yes - caloric surplus. That said, you don't need much (not as much as people often think) - 200-300 cals over maintenance is usually plenty. Any more could lead to 'spill over' (fat), but of course we're all different, so you'll have to play with the numbers until you find your optimal point.

2: since I'm meeting my calorie goal i should be able to gain muscle but know my question is since I'm doing 65+mins of low intensity cardio a day am I in a deficiency to where my body won't grow?
    1 - why are you doing so much cardio? I mean, at 10% already - are you planning to complete and working to get really lean?

2 - TDEE should account for ALL activity, including added cardio. So, your TDEE is actually higher than you think.

3: since all I can do is low intensity cardio I understand the body uses 70%fat and 30%carbs for fuel. Would it be best to split my calories up like this.. 40% carbs/40% protein/20%fats because then I can burn more stored fat? What would be the best calorie split?

Thank you for ur time
    The bolded is a HUGE generalization; I wouldn't pay any mind to blanket, absolute statements such as those. Our bodies are all different; some 'run' better on carbs, some better on fats. There is no right or wrong answer, only what is optimal for YOU as an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to really know is through trial and error. You'll learn plenty about your body in the process, though.

Personally, I'd say you're overthinking all of this. 40/40/20 is a good starting point for anybody. What you really need to do is monitor your progress meticulously and consistently, and make minor adjustments as you go along. That really is the only way. You'll eventually hit that groove, and you'll know when you do.

bloodchoke is offline Member
    Should a bulking diet with gear differ from a natty bulking diet?
    If so, how?
    Should I consume more protein on cycle or will my body just better use the protein I'm consuming? I'll be starting a test-e 500/wk, with a 30 mg dbol kicker (4 weeks) in a month or so. I'm planning 1.5 g protein/lb-LBM, 0.4 g fat/lb-LBM. I'm planning on eating 300-350 kcals over maintenance and maybe bumping it up after a few weeks. I put on fat easy and I want to avoid all of the excess fat gain I can.

Nice stats - is that you in your avy??

Generally speaking, input needs to be greater than output in order to grow, so yes - caloric surplus. That said, you don't need much (not as much as people often think) - 200-300 cals over maintenance is usually plenty. Any more could lead to 'spill over' (fat), but of course we're all different, so you'll have to play with the numbers until you find your optimal point.

1 - why are you doing so much cardio? I mean, at 10% already - are you planning to complete and working to get really lean?

2 - TDEE should account for ALL activity, including added cardio. So, your TDEE is actually higher than you think.

The bolded is a HUGE generalization; I wouldn't pay any mind to blanket, absolute statements such as those. Our bodies are all different; some 'run' better on carbs, some better on fats. There is no right or wrong answer, only what is optimal for YOU as an individual. Unfortunately, the only way to really know is through trial and error. You'll learn plenty about your body in the process, though.

Personally, I'd say you're overthinking all of this. 40/40/20 is a good starting point for anybody. What you really need to do is monitor your progress meticulously and consistently, and make minor adjustments as you go along. That really is the only way. You'll eventually hit that groove, and you'll know when you do.
    Thanks bro this is what I look like right now

** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-forumrunner_20150809_173223.jpg

Ok so maybe I'm over thinking that how thing.. So I did my tdee with training and cardio added in if I keep doing this route my new tdee i 3700. So for me to grow I would either have to cut down on the cardio of just eat 3800-3900 calories a day.

Also about the ratios ur right it's a bold statement I made. I guess it all depends on how ur body reacts to carbs or fats.

Thank you for ur help

cut down on the cardio
    Bingo. You're already good and lean; stop killing the cardio and give your body a chance to grow.

Bingo. You're already good and lean; stop killing the cardio and give your body a chance to grow.
    Or I can eat 3800-3900 calories right? Lmao Thank you
    Last edited by tice1212; 08-11-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Or I can eat 3800-3900 calories right? Lmao Thank you
    lol, yea ... but caloric deficit should come mainly via diet IMO.

ab037 is offline Associate Member
    How many calories to consume for a cutting cycle? I haven't read anything on here in regards to that. Very curious as to how that works, my thoughts are when running gear, I would think you would want to maximize gains so would need to eat over TDEE by a small amount at least.. What do ya think GB?
    thx
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ab037 View Post
    How many calories to consume for a cutting cycle? I haven't read anything on here in regards to that. Very curious as to how that works, my thoughts are when running gear, I would think you would want to maximize gains so would need to eat over TDEE by a small amount at least.. What do ya think GB?
    thx
    Re: the bold - I thought the same thing years back. It seems logical, right? Then a friend/mentor gave me a different perspective:

You specifically mentioned a cutting cycle. Not to state the obvious, but the goal here is to reduce bodyfat. IF you can make gains (with or without gear), that's a huge bonus. The focus should be on doing your best to maintain muscle tissue while slowly reducing bodyfat. SO ...

It was suggested that I actually reduce calories even further? WHAT!?!? Why would I do that?? I want to make the gear as efficient as possible, right??

Yes. You will be. To further reduce bodyfat - and maintain LBM. Because of the increased feed efficiency, protein synthesis, etc. that the cycle will produce, you should be able to get away with eating even less without negatively impacting LBM, while pushing fat loss even harder. I did it, and it worked out wonderfully.

In short - I'd suggest continuing to eat as if you weren't cycling - i.e. under maintenance, typical cutting diet, continue to train hard (a lot of people make the mistake of lowering training intensity/volume etc. under the false assumption not doing so will somehow hurt muscle retention) and get a lot of rest.

My .02. What does this cutting cycle consist of?

ab037 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for response GB.
    As far as compounds.. I am on TRT @ 150mg/week.. Have been cutting for a few months, it was something I was thinking about possibly in a few months. Just getting setup with a new Dr (although same protocol for last 2.5 yrs) but after everything is normalized and I drop another 3% or so BF I was thinking of doing a Blast.. just upping the Test Cyp dosage to 500/week.
    It makes sense, been lifting heavy 5x5ish during my cut to retain as much LBM as possible, I guess the concept is the same with/without gear.. TY again

Quote Originally Posted by ab037 View Post
    been lifting heavy 5x5ish during my cut to retain as much LBM as possible, I guess the concept is the same with/without gear.. TY again
    Bingo. You can definitely train harder with gear, but no reason training intensity should be 'dialed down' when cutting (w/ or w/out gear). Also, don't be afraid to switch things up to a higher volume approach. There is plenty of muscle to be gained in the 12-15 rep range.

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    Where can I get the best pizza in all the land???

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    Where can I get the best pizza in all the land???
    Without question, my home state!!!

Without question, my home state!!!
    Well when I make a trip NY I'll stop by Jersey and be the official Judge!
    gbrice75 likes this.

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    Edit. Solved and teacher highlighted the fact that I sound like an idiot.
    Last edited by Splifton; 10-01-2015 at 08:01 PM.

scottschop is offline New Member
    Stats:
    48 years old
    5"8"
    166 lbs
    20% BF

Goals: 175lbs at 15% BF

Diet Plan: 2700 calories per day using 40/40/20 6 meals per day. (I've always found eating that much tough)
    Work out: Gym 3 times per week, with 1 day of mild cardio (vet with some physical limitations).
    Cycle: 12 weeks of T cyp 500mg per week, Deca 300mg per week with .5mg Arimidex and the approp PCT.

I've always had a hard time dieting, more than likely because I do it incorrectly. And my results just suck.

QUESTIONS:

I tend to use shakes for pre and post work out, bad or good?
    I am a morning workout person, do I consume a full meal prior (40/40/20) and how much time prior.
    From everything I've read, muscle burns fat, I am hoping that eating cleaner and incorporating the cycle will help burn off the fat quicker, is that solid thinking?
    I've always found eating that many calories pretty tough, at times I feel like I am forcing food, what am I doing wrong?
    If I've missed something please let me know, I don't want to f up this cycle with crappy diet.

Thanks in advance, great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    Well when I make a trip NY I'll stop by Jersey and be the official Judge!
    How could a Canadian EVER judge good pizza?
    RaginCajun, NACH3 and Bertuzzi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottschop View Post
    Stats:
    48 years old
    5"8"
    166 lbs
    20% BF

Goals: 175lbs at 15% BF

Diet Plan: 2700 calories per day using 40/40/20 6 meals per day. (I've always found eating that much tough)
    Work out: Gym 3 times per week, with 1 day of mild cardio (vet with some physical limitations).
    Cycle: 12 weeks of T cyp 500mg per week, Deca 300mg per week with .5mg Arimidex and the approp PCT.

I've always had a hard time dieting, more than likely because I do it incorrectly. And my results just suck.

QUESTIONS:

I tend to use shakes for pre and post work out, bad or good?
    I am a morning workout person, do I consume a full meal prior (40/40/20) and how much time prior.
    From everything I've read, muscle burns fat, I am hoping that eating cleaner and incorporating the cycle will help burn off the fat quicker, is that solid thinking?
    I've always found eating that many calories pretty tough, at times I feel like I am forcing food, what am I doing wrong?
    If I've missed something please let me know, I don't want to f up this cycle with crappy diet.

Thanks in advance, great forum.
    Sorry for the late reply, not sure if you'll see it at this point, but in case you do:

I'd focus on dropping the bodyfat first. Don't worry about muscle for now. Start with a clean slate. A 'blank canvass'. Adding quality muscle mass is much easier when you're already lean; while recomping (i.e. slowing reducing body fat while slowly adding muscle mass, simultaneously) is possible, it's a slow, arduous process. You can drop your bodyfat down from 20 to 15% easily in a 12 week time frame if you're consistent with your diet, cardio, and training.

Personally, I'd shoot for lower, but that's completely subjective. Yes, you'll probably look skinny. Flabby. Soft. Flat. Remember, it's temporary. It's just a bumpy part of the path toward a bigger goal.

Re: shakes pre/post - if you have to, fine. Better than not eating anything at all. I do the same, although my shakes contain a lot of 'real' food in addition. In fact, my PWO protein shake doesn't contain any protein powder at all. lol.

2700 calories? Sounds high my man, considering your height/weight and BF%. Start there if you feel it's right, but be prepared to make adjustments within a couple weeks. As a reference, I'm 5'10 currently 210lbs and cut at 2000 calories.

Also, 40/40/20 might be fine for you, but if you're carb 'sensitive', insulin resistant, etc. then you might consider knocking down the carbs a bit. Again, you have to play with it until you dial in what works for you. There is no secret, and no other way.

Lastly, I wouldn't bother with the cycle. Deca? You're gonna get strong and bloated - doesn't sound in line with your goal to me. If you want to run the test, fine, but I would ditch the deca. if you feel you must run a 2nd compound, look into something more in line with cutting and/or adding quality muscle - Tren , Mast, EQ, etc. Deca would be my last choice. If you like Nandrolone , look into NPP instead of Deconate.

I hope this helps!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Ahhhhhh shyt, he's back!!!!
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    Ahhhhhh shyt, he's back!!!!
    Now if I can manage to stick around for more than a week at a time!!!
    RaginCajun likes this.

How could a Canadian EVER judge good pizza?
    I know.... I know, but I have eaten a lot of pizza and all over the world.... I'm a pizza s|ut wh0re

Now if I can manage to stick around for more than a week at a time!!!
    Welcome to my world

applips is offline Junior Member
    GB bro, i would like to know your views please on bulk and cut at the same time (aka losing fat and building muscles at the same time) - Body recomposition

Cheers
    Last edited by applips; 01-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Stozzy18 is offline New Member
    Hey GB, don't know if this has been covered already, but I'm really interested in experimenting with a recomp style diet... My predicament is I am happy at my weight, but would love to drop a couple % bodyfat before I start to et in a consistent surplus again.

Stats:
    Age 24
    Weight 205
    Height 5'11
    Bf% 10ish (full 6 pack flexed/unflexd)
    Tdee 2900-3100

Train heavy and hard 5-6 days a week with the iron
    Cardio is done 6 days a week for an average of 30-40 min
    Rest day aka lay in bed and do nothing once a week

My question is how do I set up a proper diet to achieve my goal as I assume just eating at maintenance every day isn't going to cut it! Would I want to be in a surplus or a deficit at the end of each week? And obviously the calorie changes I would make would come in the form of carbs, but how many days would my macros be different? I don't mind spinning my wheels for a month figuring it out because I am fairly happy where I'm at (but always still want more obviously)

Any advice or experience you may have with this would be awesome! Happy lifting dude!

raymondtrudeau is offline Junior Member
    for my post workout shake I mix 250ml of egg whites, 500ml water,1 cup of oates and 15g of whey protein..
    is this a good post workout shake?
    p.s I also have been making that for breakfast as well

cyounger100 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So my stats are 6ft 230 been off cycle for a while and started a new 8 week cutting diet . My question is my tdee is 3700 or so i am currently taking in 2250 cals , 280 protein, 60 fat ,130 carbs . Do you think i am to low on my calorie intake or should that be good for me ? Also train 6 days a week 45 minutes cardio every day with 45 minutes or so weight training also. Taking clen with this cutting diet and t3 will be added if needed 2 to 3 weeks into clen .

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyounger100
    So my stats are 6ft 230 been off cycle for a while and started a new 8 week cutting diet . My question is my tdee is 3700 or so i am currently taking in 2250 cals , 280 protein, 60 fat ,130 carbs . Do you think i am to low on my calorie intake or should that be good for me ? Also train 6 days a week 45 minutes cardio every day with 45 minutes or so weight training also. Taking clen with this cutting diet and t3 will be added if needed 2 to 3 weeks into clen .
    Haven't seen him around in a few

Post up a thread in the diet section part
    gbrice75 likes this.

jGrande is offline New Member
    Hi GB and thanks for this thread. My question is, when counting carbs, are we technically only supposed to be counting the Sugar? I ask because a lot of things in my diet have sugar alcohol and I'm not really sure how to count those,so I've just been counting them like regular carbs.

merQx is offline New Member
    Hello guys,

I am looking for a meal plan / diet.
    I want it to be strict and solid. Know what to eat and at what time etc...

I have such a hard time creating one myself and i do not know where to go or where to start...
    Is there any thread or anyone who can make me a mealplan for my goals??

Thank you so much and have a good morning/afternoon/evening!

xo

Quote Originally Posted by applips View Post
    GB bro, i would like to know your views please on bulk and cut at the same time (aka losing fat and building muscles at the same time) - Body recomposition

Cheers
    Am I too late?

First, a recomp is not a bulk/cut at the same time. In fact, that's impossible. Think about it; 2 goals that conflict completely.

A recomp is a slow process whereby you slowly reduce bodyfat while slightly increasing muscle mass (albeit cyclic; that is, not simultaneously) with keeping overall body weight roughly the same.

While it's possible, doable, and many people have had success with this approach, I personally have seen better results with dedicating myself to one goal or the other, depending on your current body composition and overall goals. If you are already relatively lean (12% or less), I'd probably suggest a slow, steady lean-mass gain type approach (vs. a straight out bulk; nobody wants to add bodyfat only to have to cut it later, often at the expense of the newly gained muscle mass).

If you are in the mid-upper teens in terms of bodyfat, I'd suggest focusing efforts on reducing until in that 10-12% range, then going with the lean 'bulk' described above.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Stozzy18 View Post
    Hey GB, don't know if this has been covered already, but I'm really interested in experimenting with a recomp style diet... My predicament is I am happy at my weight, but would love to drop a couple % bodyfat before I start to et in a consistent surplus again.

Stats:
    Age 24
    Weight 205
    Height 5'11
    Bf% 10ish (full 6 pack flexed/unflexd)
    Tdee 2900-3100

Train heavy and hard 5-6 days a week with the iron
    Cardio is done 6 days a week for an average of 30-40 min
    Rest day aka lay in bed and do nothing once a week

My question is how do I set up a proper diet to achieve my goal as I assume just eating at maintenance every day isn't going to cut it! Would I want to be in a surplus or a deficit at the end of each week? And obviously the calorie changes I would make would come in the form of carbs, but how many days would my macros be different? I don't mind spinning my wheels for a month figuring it out because I am fairly happy where I'm at (but always still want more obviously)

Any advice or experience you may have with this would be awesome! Happy lifting dude!
    If you're at 10% now and wanting to get into single-digit numbers, you're not looking to recomp. Assuming you're happy or at least satisfied with current muscle mass, you just need to cut my friend! Now, unless you're planning to step on stage, I'm not sure *why* you'd want to do this; 10% is very manageable and maintainable year-round. Anything less than that becomes significantly more difficult. Personally, at 10% I'd be looking to add as much mass as I can without going much over 12%, then drop back a bit (give 'bulking' a break) until bodyfat levels are back in check. Rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrudeau View Post
    for my post workout shake I mix 250ml of egg whites, 500ml water,1 cup of oates and 15g of whey protein..
    is this a good post workout shake?
    p.s I also have been making that for breakfast as well
    Egg whites and oats ... can't really go wrong with this combo IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cyounger100 View Post
    6ft 230lbs tells me you're big, but nothing about your body composition. What is your BF% at this weight?

Quote Originally Posted by jGrande View Post
    Hi GB and thanks for this thread. My question is, when counting carbs, are we technically only supposed to be counting the Sugar? I ask because a lot of things in my diet have sugar alcohol and I'm not really sure how to count those,so I've just been counting them like regular carbs.
    Generally speaking, count all carbs except (insoluble) dietary fiber. Sugar alcohols, however, are an exception. I would have to ask though - how much food are you eating/drinking in a day containing sugar alcohol where it would even be a concern? Chances are, this isn't something you even need to be thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by merQx View Post
    Hello guys,

I am looking for a meal plan / diet.
    I want it to be strict and solid. Know what to eat and at what time etc...

I have such a hard time creating one myself and i do not know where to go or where to start...
    Is there any thread or anyone who can make me a mealplan for my goals??

Thank you so much and have a good morning/afternoon/evening!

xo
    Probably already did so a long time ago, but if you haven't, post up a new thread in the diet section for greatest visibility and responses, thx!

Thread Information