Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: UNoffical "How to Cut" thread and sample diet...

inan_fener is offline New Member
    Great post!

GiovanniM88 is offline New Member
    need help with a diet plan for a cutting cycle need to this website

dumpslugzz is offline Junior Member
    great post man

75189 is offline New Member
    Nice!

dantheman30 is offline New Member
    This post is from 2003, any updates to it anyone wants to add? or confirm it's golden.. I need a diet to cut weight pretty bad, so wanna give this a try. Please and thanks. As far as the brown rice, can u make a bunch and refrigerate it? or should it be fresh? does it loose vitamins in the fridge. If anyone can answer this please do..

thanks,

Dan

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Read the cutting 101 and carb cycling stickies written recently by GBrice.

Most of us pre cook food and store for several days, yes.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Milks a no then thanks.

hingey242 is offline Junior Member
    would a diet like this one still work for someone like my self who is 110kg at 6"1? with little to no muscle definition?

cruzetor is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo View Post
    “Obsessed is a the word that lazy people use for dedicated.”
    obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated - aziz shavershian

:P

KRL
    KRL is offline New Member
    awesome!!

mattvdh is offline Junior Member
    Rambo: excellent post! Just wondering if you could give us an approximate ratio of carbs, fats, proteins ? you mentioned 1.5-2g's per lb of body weight of protein, how would you measure carbs and fats? usually it's around 1.7g (carbs) and 0.25g (fats).

Jack Mehoff is offline New Member
    Good stuff! Now to look up what a keto diet is

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mehoff View Post
    Good stuff! Now to look up what a keto diet is
    Hey don't look now but you had some response after you left your original thread. Glad you found your way...anyway....crazy mike

LbforLb152 is offline New Member
    Nice post. Definitely agree. I've done keyto runs and they seem to help with fat loss, I've done two weeks but I feel like a week is better for my body type. All to get ready for a bb competition.

mac10handle is offline New Member
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly what i needed

nussnussbaby is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for posting!

tkalau is offline New Member
    Thank you very much Rambo for hinting the light on cutting.

Rothrock is offline New Member
    Nice post that I needed to read for sure...what is a good source of protein for pwo? Is a protien shake good or does it need to be real food?

Codes is offline New Member
    Hey, great post. I'm just wondering about the dextrose you mentioned in PWO nutrition. I've read some other posts saying it's not so good for cutting. Would it be better for people with a little higher BF% to just use the Malto?

money1994 is offline Junior Member

Just a Suggestion

On the salt Q&A I think you should say High Blood Pressure not High Cholesterol as salt effects blood pressure and not Lipid Profiles. Apart from that the guide is great .

The Cutting Primer
    By rambo @anabolicreview.com

It’s about time we had a decent full length post on cutting…

Let’s get a few things straight…
    1. All of the insights I’m about to provide are not person-specific. What that means is that it is a general guideline, not a bible.
    2. I truly do believe that bodybuilding is 80% diet. You can lift your ass off daily, and still look horrible if you aren’t eating right.
    3. You are what you eat. It’s just that simple.

The BASICS-
    1.Postworkout Nutrition- I’m a firm believer that PWO nutrition is hands down the most important aspect of dieting. It is within the 15 minutes after a workout that your body is in dire need of nutrients. It is a completely anabolic state, and what you take in can be optimized to ensure maximum results. A general rule of thumb is 40-60 grams whey protein, and double the amount of whey in carbohydrates (50% dextrose/50% maltodextrin).

2. Carbs- You are **** right, carbs. In a strict cutting diet the majority of your carbs should come in the form of PWO nutrition, and the remainder in breakfast. Fibrous veggies are a staple, but keep in mind that they don’t count towards intake, as they have negligible impacts on blood sugar levels. (Exceptions: Carrots, Peas) All high glycemic carbs outside of PWO should be avoided. The best sources of low GI carbs can be found in oatmeal and brown rice, as well as yams.

3. Protein- You need tons. 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of lean bodyweight is a good general rule of thumb. You should take in a good portion of your protein in the source of real meals, avoid intaking too many shakes, as real food comes to a better benefit. The list foods with high protein bioavailability is extensive, and I will only cover a few, (Egg whites, Lean steak, Chicken breast, the list goes on forever….).

4. Fats- Guess what? You need fat to lose fat. We are talking about the granddaddy of fats, the EFA (Essential Fatty Acid). Good sources of fat are ( Flax Oil, Nuts, Salmon, Olive Oil).

5. The separation of Carbs and Fats- This is a hotly debated issue, but again, in my opinion, an important aspect nonetheless. Remember that it is often when you eat items and with what you eat them that is more important than what you are eating. A mouthful, I know, but stay with me. Remember that when you take in certain carbs, you can spike your insulin levels. If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, you are allowing the basic laws of physiology to act out, and you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage. Separation is key. The sample diet will give a good example of how to separate them.

6. Supplements-

Glutamine: Helps prevent catabolism when cutting. Best used in dosages of 10grams daily, 5 grams before cardio, 5 grams at another interval, but not after workout as it fights for absorption with the glutamine peptides in whey.
    ALA/R-ALA- Gets my supplement of the day award. R-ALA is effective in lowering the spike of insulin when certain carbs are consumed. I could give you a dissertation on the stereoentisomeric properties of the R, but all you need to know is that it has been found to shuttle carbohydrates away from adipose and into myocytes. Translation: Away from fat cells, into muscle cells. It’s a supplement, however, not a miracle worker. It’s not a crutch, and won’t do anything about fat intake. ALA and R-ALA can also aid in the expedition of the ketogenic state. Remember that if you buy R-ALA that you supplement it with Biotin. Glucorell-R is prepackaged with it. If you can afford it, go for it. As far as dosage, with the R, you are looking at 1-2 pills of Glucorell R for each 30-40grams of carb intake.
    Protein and Carb Shakes: I’m not going to cover protein, because even if you can’t afford it, you should sell a kidney to get some. Carb drinks are rather convenient, and companies offer pre mixed dosages, (CarboHit, Glycoload, UltraFuel). Dextrose and Maltodextrin can be bought from most supplement stores or online.

www.allsportsnutition.com

7. Cheating- Cheating is essential. Why? Remember, the body runs on homeostasis, it likes to keep balance. After eating so well after a week, your body begins to adjust, and fat loss over time will not be as rapid. The other extremely important aspect is mental sanity. So many diets crash and fail because people don’t give themselves a chance to breath. Remember, cheating is not an opportunity for you to pillage the entire mall food court. Shoot for a cheat meal, not an all out binge. A fast food value meal can be 2,000 calories. Eat that 3 times on one day, and you’ve consumed 6,000 calories. And that’s not good in any case.

8. Cardio- Cardio and cutting usually go hand in hand. I won't go into specifics about length, other than cardio shouldn't be excessive. 45 minutes to one hour daily should be sufficient, and should be performed on an empty stomach.

Sample Diet:
    Note: This is a sample diet for a 200 pound gentleman who is wishing to cut. We can assume his BF to be around 15%. This diet will NOT work for you if those criteria don’t apply to you; however it is easy to customize the below diet to take in account your own statistics. It is the principles that are applicable.. I am not going to post the total amount of calories, only the carb, protein and fat macros for the whole day.

Meal 1:
    Lean Protein, 1/2 cup oatmeal

Meal 2:
    Protein shake/Lean Protein (2 tbsp flax

Meal 3:
    Veggies, Lean Protein

Workout

Meal 4:
    PWO Nutrition

Meal 5:
    Veggies, Lean Protein, 1/2 cup rice or oatmeal.

Meal 6:
    Shake with Flax

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, 130 grams Carbs, and 50 grams of fat.

*Reminder: This is a PRIMER. It’s not mean to be comprehensive.

Here comes the fun part: Question and Answer….

Q: What about dairy?
    A: If you don’t mind a soft look, fat free cottage cheese is an excellent caseinate source, but as for milks- way too much processed sugar. NO.

Q: Should I do a keto diet?
    A: Unless you are morbidly obese, or would like to drag your wilted muscles behind you, stay away from keto. Again, that’s my opinion. You can see my previous posts for my anti-keto ranting.

Q: What about cycling carb intake?
    A: Obviously on non workout days you will be without a shake, so you will be auto-cycling. It works well that way.

Q: Is sodium an issue?
    A: Outside of the bloating issue, or if you have high cholesterol, no.

Q. How do I make my meals not taste like cardboard?
    A. Be creative. Mix in some sugar free jam or splenda in your oats, some hot sauce or soy sauce on your meats, or pick up some sugar free ketchup.

Q. I don’t like old fashioned oats. Can I eat the pre mixed oats with fruit?
    A. No. Be a man. Those mixes have ridiculous amounts of sugar.

Q. What about fruit?
    A: Fruit replenishes glycogen stores in the liver, and in my opinion, is not to be a staple of a strict cutting diet, with a few exceptions.

Q: Can I eat steak while cutting?
    A: Definitely. Make sure it’s a leaner cut.

And with this post I take a sabbatical. I’d like to thank ~Swolecat~ for his influence, and to thank all of you who may have indirectly annoyed me enough to result in this elongated post. If I missed anything, or am horribly wrong on anything, feel free to PM me, and I will edit it in. Best of luck, and remember…

Happy Holidays,

Rambo

* This was edited to reflect a few changes, and change the title to UN official, as was my original intent

247365 is offline New Member
    Good stuff

jsam is offline Junior Member
    I like the looks of the meal plan. Is one protein whey powder better than another there are quite a few out there? On vegetables no frozen? I work shift work and really have to plan out meals. I tend to work out after I wake up either on nights or days. I could use some advise on the amount of meals and where to arrange them.
    looking to cut body fat so what I've been reading I should be doing cardio on empty stomach right

Nimbusdp is offline Junior Member
    Good, post. This is a great understanding of a sample diet, I've been following one that a bodybuilder friend wrote out for me, but I've lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of muscle. I'm still interested in losing fat, and i'm doing that right now on the diet with a good workout program, but if I drop from about 2 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle to 1.5 grams would I still see the same results in muscle growth I've been experiencing over the past 9 months? Should I just continue with the diet I'm on or should I redo it to fit my new body / goals?

deerparkwater is offline Junior Member
    good stuff. I feel like I should of been on here a while ago. tons of info thank you all who post

_-KL-_ is offline New Member
    Confirmed my dieting goals here.
    Nice write up!!

petapopin1 is offline Junior Member
    What about Goat cheese ?? healthy fat no ?

The Cutting Primer
    By rambo @anabolicreview.com

It’s about time we had a decent full length post on cutting…

Let’s get a few things straight…
    1. All of the insights I’m about to provide are not person-specific. What that means is that it is a general guideline, not a bible.
    2. I truly do believe that bodybuilding is 80% diet. You can lift your ass off daily, and still look horrible if you aren’t eating right.
    3. You are what you eat. It’s just that simple.

The BASICS-
    1.Postworkout Nutrition- I’m a firm believer that PWO nutrition is hands down the most important aspect of dieting. It is within the 15 minutes after a workout that your body is in dire need of nutrients. It is a completely anabolic state, and what you take in can be optimized to ensure maximum results. A general rule of thumb is 40-60 grams whey protein, and double the amount of whey in carbohydrates (50% dextrose/50% maltodextrin).

2. Carbs- You are **** right, carbs. In a strict cutting diet the majority of your carbs should come in the form of PWO nutrition, and the remainder in breakfast. Fibrous veggies are a staple, but keep in mind that they don’t count towards intake, as they have negligible impacts on blood sugar levels. (Exceptions: Carrots, Peas) All high glycemic carbs outside of PWO should be avoided. The best sources of low GI carbs can be found in oatmeal and brown rice, as well as yams.

3. Protein- You need tons. 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of lean bodyweight is a good general rule of thumb. You should take in a good portion of your protein in the source of real meals, avoid intaking too many shakes, as real food comes to a better benefit. The list foods with high protein bioavailability is extensive, and I will only cover a few, (Egg whites, Lean steak, Chicken breast, the list goes on forever….).

4. Fats- Guess what? You need fat to lose fat. We are talking about the granddaddy of fats, the EFA (Essential Fatty Acid). Good sources of fat are ( Flax Oil, Nuts, Salmon, Olive Oil).

5. The separation of Carbs and Fats- This is a hotly debated issue, but again, in my opinion, an important aspect nonetheless. Remember that it is often when you eat items and with what you eat them that is more important than what you are eating. A mouthful, I know, but stay with me. Remember that when you take in certain carbs, you can spike your insulin levels. If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, you are allowing the basic laws of physiology to act out, and you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage. Separation is key. The sample diet will give a good example of how to separate them.

6. Supplements-

Glutamine: Helps prevent catabolism when cutting. Best used in dosages of 10grams daily, 5 grams before cardio, 5 grams at another interval, but not after workout as it fights for absorption with the glutamine peptides in whey.
    ALA/R-ALA- Gets my supplement of the day award. R-ALA is effective in lowering the spike of insulin when certain carbs are consumed. I could give you a dissertation on the stereoentisomeric properties of the R, but all you need to know is that it has been found to shuttle carbohydrates away from adipose and into myocytes. Translation: Away from fat cells, into muscle cells. It’s a supplement, however, not a miracle worker. It’s not a crutch, and won’t do anything about fat intake. ALA and R-ALA can also aid in the expedition of the ketogenic state. Remember that if you buy R-ALA that you supplement it with Biotin. Glucorell-R is prepackaged with it. If you can afford it, go for it. As far as dosage, with the R, you are looking at 1-2 pills of Glucorell R for each 30-40grams of carb intake.
    Protein and Carb Shakes: I’m not going to cover protein, because even if you can’t afford it, you should sell a kidney to get some. Carb drinks are rather convenient, and companies offer pre mixed dosages, (CarboHit, Glycoload, UltraFuel). Dextrose and Maltodextrin can be bought from most supplement stores or online.

www.allsportsnutition.com

7. Cheating- Cheating is essential. Why? Remember, the body runs on homeostasis, it likes to keep balance. After eating so well after a week, your body begins to adjust, and fat loss over time will not be as rapid. The other extremely important aspect is mental sanity. So many diets crash and fail because people don’t give themselves a chance to breath. Remember, cheating is not an opportunity for you to pillage the entire mall food court. Shoot for a cheat meal, not an all out binge. A fast food value meal can be 2,000 calories. Eat that 3 times on one day, and you’ve consumed 6,000 calories. And that’s not good in any case.

8. Cardio- Cardio and cutting usually go hand in hand. I won't go into specifics about length, other than cardio shouldn't be excessive. 45 minutes to one hour daily should be sufficient, and should be performed on an empty stomach.

Sample Diet:
    Note: This is a sample diet for a 200 pound gentleman who is wishing to cut. We can assume his BF to be around 15%. This diet will NOT work for you if those criteria don’t apply to you; however it is easy to customize the below diet to take in account your own statistics. It is the principles that are applicable.. I am not going to post the total amount of calories, only the carb, protein and fat macros for the whole day.

Meal 1:

Meal 2:

Meal 3:
    Veggies, Lean Protein

Workout

Meal 4:
    PWO Nutrition

Meal 5:

Meal 6:
    Shake with Flax

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, 130 grams Carbs, and 50 grams of fat.

Here comes the fun part: Question and Answer….

Q: What about dairy?
    A: If you don’t mind a soft look, fat free cottage cheese is an excellent caseinate source, but as for milks- way too much processed sugar. NO.

Q: Should I do a keto diet?
    A: Unless you are morbidly obese, or would like to drag your wilted muscles behind you, stay away from keto. Again, that’s my opinion. You can see my previous posts for my anti-keto ranting.

Q: What about cycling carb intake?
    A: Obviously on non workout days you will be without a shake, so you will be auto-cycling. It works well that way.

Q: Is sodium an issue?
    A: Outside of the bloating issue, or if you have high cholesterol, no.

Q. How do I make my meals not taste like cardboard?
    A. Be creative. Mix in some sugar free jam or splenda in your oats, some hot sauce or soy sauce on your meats, or pick up some sugar free ketchup.

Q. I don’t like old fashioned oats. Can I eat the pre mixed oats with fruit?
    A. No. Be a man. Those mixes have ridiculous amounts of sugar.

Q. What about fruit?
    A: Fruit replenishes glycogen stores in the liver, and in my opinion, is not to be a staple of a strict cutting diet, with a few exceptions.

Q: Can I eat steak while cutting?
    A: Definitely. Make sure it’s a leaner cut.

And with this post I take a sabbatical. I’d like to thank ~Swolecat~ for his influence, and to thank all of you who may have indirectly annoyed me enough to result in this elongated post. If I missed anything, or am horribly wrong on anything, feel free to PM me, and I will edit it in. Best of luck, and remember…

Happy Holidays,

Rambo

* This was edited to reflect a few changes, and change the title to UN official, as was my original intent

Phoenix2015 is offline Associate Member
    Very helpful

blakegains is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! Needed a simple and straightforward approach.

DurkaDurka is offline New Member
    I like how you used a 200 lb example. So sick of the easily customized 145lb structured cut diets I've seen lol...

Thank you. I'm going to read this every chance I get so i fully understand it. I'm also reading nutrient timing which has taught me alot these last few days.

Great info-

TheNewSal is offline New Member
    Thanks Good info.

bioengineered is offline New Member
    A lot of really good information here. Thank you.

cory0311 is offline New Member
    Meal 1:

Meal 2:

Meal 3:
    Veggies, Lean Protein

Workout

Meal 4:
    PWO Nutrition

Meal 5:

Meal 6:
    Shake with Flax

I am new to this....Can you please break this down for me in dummy terms so I can understand this. I don't eat vegetables, I am a meat and potato type of guy...so can you please tell me what I can substitute for veggies, if there is anything out there?

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cory0311
    Meal 1: Lean Protein, 1/2 cup oatmeal Meal 2: Protein shake/Lean Protein (2 tbsp flax Meal 3: Veggies, Lean Protein Workout Meal 4: PWO Nutrition Meal 5: Veggies, Lean Protein, 1/2 cup rice or oatmeal. Meal 6: Shake with Flax That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, 130 grams Carbs, and 50 grams of fat. *Reminder: This is a PRIMER. It’s not mean to be comprehensive. I am new to this....Can you please break this down for me in dummy terms so I can understand this. I don't eat vegetables, I am a meat and potato type of guy...so can you please tell me what I can substitute for veggies, if there is anything out there?
    I would switch your carb meal to before your work out. Your body won't need the sustained energy in the evening after w/o

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    Wow, very good post! lol you made everything seem so simple =)

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I have a question for my wife. How do we calculate how many calories she needs to eat to cut to the desired weight?

NotNATTY is offline New Member
    thanks

NotNATTY is offline New Member
    sweet thanks

MacMatrix is offline New Member
    Would this work for 225 pounds at 25% body fat??/

RunMeOver2 is offline New Member
    i would just like to say thank you very much sir for this post and guide.

have been following this almost to the T for about 2 months now and have cut down about 5% bf and about 35lbs

so once again ty sir
    RaginCajun likes this.

enystrom is offline Junior Member
    Rambo,

Good thing your sample diet hits my stats, so I will end up using your sample for my benefit. As soon as I get my 25 posts up I can start posting my own thread on stacks I have done. I usually do a full write up on a cycle, so this includes cycle support, dosage, ect. for my own well being, and I use it as a guide. I will post it for all to see.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information