Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Beer Battered Bass

Ok guy’s,
    This particular recipe just happens to be one of my favorites. Now it is just common knowledge anywhere you go that Southern Boy’s love their fishing and Hunting. And on occasional fishing trips when they are left up to their own devices they are liable to come up with some of the strangest concoctions, all of which involve some form of wild game mixed with their favorite alcoholic beverage. Well here is one that is sure to wet your whistle, blow your diet to kingdom come and yet still satisfy the inner most gourmet cook that dwells deep inside you.

Beer Battered Bass
    5 lbs of filets ( preferably bass, but any fish will do)
    1- 12 oz beer
    2 tablespoons of Tabasco sauce
    4 tablespoons yellow mustard
    2 packages Corn-Kits brand cornbread mix
    1 cup of yellow corn meal
    Dash of salt
    Dash of pepper
    1 skillet hot grease OR a deep fryer

Mix the beer, Tabasco, and mustard in a large bowl. Salt and pepper the fillets and coat with the beer batter. Put 1 cup of corn meal and 2 packages of Corn-Kits in a paper grocery sack. Put the battered fillets into the sack and shake until the fillets are thoroughly coated. Fry them in grease until they are golden brown.

Serve with hushpuppies, french-fries, baked beans, and coleslaw, and of course a cold Beer!

Nutritional valve - Forget it. You are ready blew it by drinking the beer in your hand anyway.

Enjoy,
    IC

Opps

I have gotten pretty efficient with the little trick that Billy showed me with typing post in word the posting it in the new thread. Anyway, I screwed up and posted it in the wrong forum and had to move it here.
    IC

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Tobey, what's a hushpuppie?

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    This must be for Petey!

ptbyjason Guest
    Originally posted by tigress
    Are you serious? I though it was one of the major food groups In the south we have those for every meal, including breakfast, right Tobey.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Big Al
    This must be for Petey!
    For some, odd, reason...everytime there is a thread with "beer" somewhere in the title...my name pops up. What's up wit dat!!

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    Let me explain this before PaPa get's here.

Pete=Beer why???

Ans: because he

HAHA

Hushpuppies

Originally posted by tigress
    Hushpuppies are useually eaten with fried fish although many like them with vegetables as well. (I useually dip mine in ketchup.)They are nothing more than a type of spicy type of corn bread. they are made with corn meal, cut up onions, salt and perpper and useually one or two eggs. The mixture is rolled up but unlike cornbread that is baked, hush puppies are deep fried in oil. You can buy premade hushpuppy mix in your local grocery store where all you have to do is add a little water and vola!! Ya got hushpuppies! If you are interested in a recipe I'll post one for you as soon as I get home. Just let me know.
    Tobey

I think I understand, it's deep fried cornbread. Is it shaped like a french fry? I don't have a deep fryer so don't post a recipe for my benefit, I will have to wait until I visit the deep south before I try them. Thanks anyways, I do appreciate the explaination.

hush Puppies

Tigress,
    Useually hush puppies are rolled into little round balls and then dropped into the oil to be fried. The batter is thick so frying them in this manner is much simplier. However, one does not have to have a deep fryer to fry them. An iron skillet is plenty deep enough to fry them on top of the stove if you wanted to. Also there are different kinds of oil that will make them much higher in Sat. Fats than others. Corn oil will give the best taste but leaves you with a product that has enough sat fat in it to clogg the arteries of a horse. Try canola oil. I'll look it up to see if there are any others that are better. But remember, your still eating a fried food and it dose no matter what kind of oil you use, anything fried should not be a part on one's normal diet.
    Tobey

Thanks Tobey. I changed my mind, if it's not too much trouble, I would love to see a recipe.

reciepes

Cool,
    I'm at work right now but I'll post one for you as soon as I get home.
    Tobey

Tigress

Check out the reciepe section. I have somthing there for you.
    Tobey

Thread Information