Thread: beef jerky

KeyMastur is offline VET

beef jerky

we talked about this in the diet section once, and i found this reciped at recipe.com

The technique of slowly drying meat in the sun over open fires dates back centuries, when the Plains Indians made buffalo jerky and Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest preserved salmon. Of course, the technique was born of the necessity of keeping meat without the benefits of refrigeration, and many other cultures around the world developed similar methods. Following the advent of refrigeration, preserved meats were still used by hunters, hikers, and adventurers traveling for long periods. Today, we prepare jerky not out of necessity but because we enjoy the distinct flavor and texture that the curing and drying process brings. Flank steak also works well for this recipe.

2 pounds beef top round, select grade or better

1 cup red chili powder

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper

FOR THE JERKY: Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F, or to its lowest setting. Cut the beef with a knife or meat slicer with the grain into slices 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Combine the chile powder, salt, and pepper on a large platter and dredge the meat in the mixture until well covered. Place on racks set over 2 baking sheets and place in the oven overnight, or for 10 to 12 hours, until dry and chewy.

HELPFUL TIPS: Making your own beef jerky is enjoyable and rewarding. Even when the meat has been purchased at your grocery store and baked in a slow oven rather than out-doors, there is still something profound about making jerky - perhaps the feeling of bringing us "back to the earth." It is an easy thing to make with older children (wear plastic gloves!) and it provides an excellent opportunity to teach them the history of preserving meat for survival. If thoroughly dried in the oven, jerky can be held indefinitely in a cook dry space. It can be eaten out of hand or chopped and added to salads, soups and stews.

WINE SUGGESTION: A dark beer goes well with jerky; as does a robust Pinot Noir from the West Coast.

Serving size = 1 oz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutrition Facts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes about 1 3/4 pounds. Serves 28.
    Facts per Serving

Calories: 57 Fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 3g
    Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 867mg Protein: 8g
    Fiber: 2g % Cal. from Fat: 32% % Cal. from Carbs: 21%

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Hey KeyMastur!

Yeah I remember that thread on beef jerky. This was really interesting. I'm even going to try it this weekend when I get my kids. My little boy Joshua will get a kick out of this. Thanks for the reciepe bro!
    IC

Thread Information