Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bOnDs !!!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by shonuff
    [
    Canes Barry knows how people think of him and how bad they talk about him..why would he sign an autograph for a fan that dosnt like him??and probaly only wants his autograph so they can sell it on ebay and make some money??????
    Not everyone that wants an autograph sells it on EBay, as a matter of fact when I meet an athlete (and I have met a few) I always ask to shake their hand and make a point of telling them that I shake thier hand because that is a memory for me and not something I can sell on ebay.

Gary Shefeild is in the same boat... hes on home field boos him and calls him racist names, he has to sit out in da field and have hes home team yell and curse at him the whole game!!!!! and then those same fans ask for an autograph...but most people dont know that Gary is a christain and he wouldnt sign autographs but he understands thats not the right attitude to have and goes ahead and signs them. But once again the MEDIA lables Gary and so do the fans.
    Trust me, being a Florida Marlins fan I am quite aware of Gary Sheffield, and your wrong, Gary Sheffield has been much more fan friendly and personable with the public. I saw him a few times at personal appearances in the Miami area and he was always great. However, maybe he has changed since leaving the Marlins.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    I saw him a few times at personal appearances in the Miami area and he was always great.
    in a way that's different - they get paid for that. if someone paid you to smile and talk to people - would you do it ?

Originally posted by 9natural9
    CANES WROTE.... I read in the paper last year he refuses to tip white people that serve him. Is it true? I don't know but I believe it's very within the character he has shown us already

My point exactly CANES, you READ in the paper. Give me the name of the waiter/waiters that Bonds didn't tip, not the publication of a slanted writer. The paper written by who, the media machine. They can make or break a public figure, don't be so gullible to the power they possess. He might have said that, if so that makes HIM a racist, but it doesn't count out the fact that he has set himself athletically in the history books as THE TOP HR hitter in the game to date. Everyone has to have a good and bad guy, that is just the way we humans are. Bonds got tagged with that title, maybe he deserves it, maybe not, but the bottom line is being a bad or good person to the fans or media isn't a qualification in his field of employment, though it would be smart of him to play the political game with the entire "machine" but he chooses to just show up and work. Anything outside of the baseball diamond and 9 innings is irrelevant to his responsibilities. He isnt REQUIRED to be at the fans or medias expense. It is his right, we have to respect that. We don't necessarily have to agree or understand it, but at least respect it. As far as his playoff performances, he has yet to "prove" hisself to me, but then again it takes more than 1 HR record holder to win big games, just ask Mark Mcguire. His playoff stats are suspect as well, but because he adhores to the politics that polute all athletics it is NEVER mentioned. BTW, HOF voters, believe it or not, are media fed and in my opinion Bonds will suffer for this more than the 5 years after his retirement. Yes he deserves immediate induction, but so does Pete Rose, and we all know where he is at.

BTW, I love this debate, very passionate.
    I don't see what the debate is though, I agree with everything you have said; he is an amazing athlete, he is a HOF player, he is to be respected at the plate, etc, etc....what is the debate?

All I said was it's a shame because he IS a jerk. I have seen it in person, not just heard it in the "media". He has admitted to being a jerk, and he has every right to act that way.

No debate brother.

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    just think about how much attention was paid to mark when he broke the record????thats all u heard about, why beacuse he was MEDIA nice and the MEDIA loved him, u couldnt go anywhere on tv without hearing something about Marks homerun race, i knew people who didnt even follow baseball and they could care less about Marks homerun race, but thats all they heard from radio and tv and somehow they found themselves caring alittle. Why Because of how the MEDIA made Mark out to be the all american,family man type of guy.

Now lets go to Barry he shatters Marks recored but u hear hardly a peep out of the media about it??Those same people i talked about before that didnt care about baseball didnt even know that Barry was on the verge of breaking Marks recored.Why da MEDIA!!!!! The MEDIA dosnt care for Barry so he dosnt get any exposure...im sure Barry could care less, but thats just another example of how the MEDIA has power over most people!!!

Originally posted by KeyMastur

that's cause he doesn't want to be. he doesn't need all that extra bullshit to make him look good - he does that with his stick. why do you think so many other ballplayer's have "charities" that they help fund ??? it makes them look better, more of a "family" man or whatever.
    Then doesn't this prove what a shit he really is? He doesn't care about anyone but Barry Bonds. I am not that type of person and don't care for those that are selfish and arrogant pricks like Barry Bonds.

His money and fame are derived from the FANS and if he doesn't appreciate them he wouldn't be famous or more importantly to him RICH.

If he had been a pre-strike and pre-free agency player, with his present attitude he would have been a very poor superstar. Men back then made about $ 25,000 a year and had to count on outside income to live comfortablely. Many players up to the 1970's had 2nd jobs in the off-season.

Again I don't disagree with his abilities, I have a problem with his attitude and personality.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    just think about how much attention was paid to mark when he broke the record????thats all u heard about, why beacuse he was MEDIA nice and the MEDIA loved him, u couldnt go anywhere on tv without hearing something about Marks homerun race, i knew people who didnt even follow baseball and they could care less about Marks homerun race, but thats all they heard from radio and tv and somehow they found themselves caring alittle. Why Because of how the MEDIA made Mark out to be the all american,family man type of guy.

Now lets go to Barry he shatters Marks recored but u hear hardly a peep out of the media about it??Those same people i talked about before that didnt care about baseball didnt even know that Barry was on the verge of breaking Marks recored.Why da MEDIA!!!!! The MEDIA dosnt care for Barry so he dosnt get any exposure...im sure Barry could care less, but thats just another example of how the MEDIA has power over most people!!!
    also refer back up to my post earlier - when Big Mac and Sosa were goin after the record - it had been 40 years since anyone had come remotely close. bonds did it just 3 years later. the media was still around and making a deal about it. it just wasn't blown up like it was earlier b/c it was just done a few years before.

Trust me, being a Florida Marlins fan I am quite aware of Gary Sheffield, and your wrong, Gary Sheffield has been much more fan friendly and personable with the public. I saw him a few times at personal appearances in the Miami area and he was always great. However, maybe he has changed since leaving the Marlins.
    im talkin about when he was with LA

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Then doesn't this prove what a shit he really is? He doesn't care about anyone but Barry Bonds. I am not that type of person and don't care for those that are selfish and arrogant pricks like Barry Bonds.
    so just b/c he has doesn't give to a charity (which i'm sure he does, but for reference sake, we'll say he doesn't) that makes him an ass? it's his money, his life - why should we interfere with it? and when we do, why should we expect him to just let us in?put yourself in his shoes....

also refer back up to my post earlier - when Big Mac and Sosa were goin after the record - it had been 40 years since anyone had come remotely close. bonds did it just 3 years later. the media was still around and making a deal about it. it just wasn't blown up like it was earlier b/c it was just done a few years before.

yeah i understand that, but i think if it was Mark who broke it last year with the same numbers as Barry the MEDIA would have made just as much noise if not more than when he did it the first time.JMO

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Sorry I couldn't reply Key Mastur but I had class to attend. As I read through the replies just a couple of things:
    First, it's not just the juice that makes them hit HR's but the fact that the strike zone has virtually disappeared. As for the body armor, I thought you could only play with it if you had a note from your doc, which won't be hard to get if you make that kind of jack. And lay off the media. I know they blow things out of proportion but it wasn't the media who started a riot in a bowling alley, it was Allen Iverson. As for Barry, people give him plenty of attention, it just isn't the kind he probably likes. Former teammates have said some pretty negative things about him and I know a lot of people who hate him for his attitude, not just what the media says. Bottom line -- guy's a hell of an athlete but I'm not to impressed personally. He is no where near the greatest ever like that pitcher who got lit up said.

In Barry defense: Barry got a bad rap with that whole Sammy Sosa thing. I like SS but he started all that talk and Barry got blamed for it.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    First, it's not just the juice that makes them hit HR's but the fact that the strike zone has virtually disappeared.
    disappeared ?? how so when they added inches on the top and bottom ??

As for the body armor, I thought you could only play with it if you had a note from your doc, which won't be hard to get if you make that kind of jack.
    ???? where'd you pull that from ?? has nothing to do with money. if you want to wear it, wear it. personal preference.

In Barry defense: Barry got a bad rap with that whole Sammy Sosa thing. I like SS but he started all that talk and Barry got blamed for it.
    that was all just a bullshit conversation anyways.....

Pete Rose isn't being inducted b/c he broke the rules - he gambled on baseball. not allowed
    Key and I agree 100% on this, and until Mr. Rose agrees to publicly admit he gambled on baseball, then his case can be debated; until then he is not worthy of discussion.

Tell me this, if you were Pete Rose, and your name had been sullied as it has, and if you were NOT guilty of gambling, and it HAS cost you thousands if not more than $ 1 million in income, wouldn't you have taken someone to court by now?

Clearly he broke the rules of baseball or he would have gone to court by now to make sure his name was cleared. He agreed to sign a document with MLB back in 1990 (?) that BOTH parties would remain silent on his activities. He now wants to have that agreement thrown out, but yet he still REFUSES to then admit publically he gambled on baseball.

If it turns out he gambled on games and it turns out he threw games (as a manager) on some of his decisions, do you think he should be a HOF'er ? Yes that would not have affected his playing as a player, but wait a minute.....maybe it did? You'll never know...and that is what his debate will be all about. His integrity would always be in doubt and should someone who's integity is in question be allowed to be honoured in the HOF of the game he sullied as a coach and possibly as a player, no matter what his accomplishments on the field? I don't think so.

Just cuz they added a few inches doesn't mean that the umps actually enforce it. It's supposed to be from the letters to the knees if remeber correctly. I might be wrong.

I'm saying that by having all that protection it allows him and others to lean right over the plate. This doesn't allow the pitchers to throw inside cuz they might hit him. He has nothing to worry about right now, but if he and the others didn't have all that crap on then they wouldn't be leaning in so much, I'll bet you that.

I still don't think it's personal preference. I know the MLB addressed the situation and I'll try to find some stuff on it to back it up.

in a way that's different - they get paid for that. if someone paid you to smile and talk to people - would you do it ?
    Not always, especially when it is for charity. I don't believe they are paid to be there for that.

I never heard of Shef being rude to fans here in So Fla, as he was usually adored here. I still think of him fondly in my memories of his playing time with the Marlins. However I did see Barry Bonds be rude in person.

Fine, it seems Bonds doesn't care about the media, then why do you care? I'm happy he didn't get the attn last year, because he is an arrogant fuck and not a nice guy.

He can have as many records as he wants, I still won't like him. I don't dislike him because of a perceived media bias against him. I dislike him because of what I PERSONALLY WITNESSED

If he wants that changed it's up to him, and if he doesn't go out of his way to change it, that's his problem.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    He can have as many records as he wants, I still won't like him. I don't dislike him because of a perceived media bias against him. I dislike him because of what I PERSONALLY WITNESSED
    and where did you personally witness this at again ??? were you a fan in the stands that was asking for an autograph, or perhaps a handshake?

Quite true Key, it's like in 1973 when Secritariat won the Triple Crown. That waas a media frenzy. No horse had won since the Triple Crown since 1948. Just 4 years later there were back to back (1977 and 1978) Triple Crown winners. Not as much media hype.

im talkin about when he was with LA
    Since I live in Miami, I don't know what happened when Shef was in LA. I do know he was rather disappointing, I think he only hit over 35 HR's one time, and that was last year, while he was in LA

Fine, it seems Bonds doesn't care about the media, then why do you care? I'm happy he didn't get the attn last year, because he is an arrogant fuck and not a nice guy.

Im from fl myself Cocoa i know how much Gary was liked...

Canes u got what i was tryin to say wrong.. I dont care about how much media exposure Barry gets...all i was tryin to say was how much the MEDIA has to do with peoples opnions and how they view somebody... i just have a problem with the MEDIA. Hope that clears up what i was tryin to say.

so just b/c he has doesn't give to a charity (which i'm sure he does, but for reference sake, we'll say he doesn't) that makes him an ass? it's his money, his life - why should we interfere with it? and when we do, why should we expect him to just let us in?put yourself in his shoes....
    Did I say he doesn't give to charities, what I felt was his bad and selfish behavior to the fans that had PAID to meet him at the charity event because of his celebrity and he had a moral obligation to at least speak to the fans who had paid for the right to be there. The event was promoted with the fact he was to be one of the *stars* at the event and that you would *meet Barry Bonds*, then he walks right past folks with a scowl on his face and not even acknowledging our existance.

Before that I was like everyone else at that event, a fan of Barry Bonds, and I didn't believe all I read and heard in the media, but after that day I believed what they were saying. Just because it's the media it doesn't mean EVERYTHING they say is wrong and has a hidden agenda; many times it has validity and as regards to Barry Bonds I agree with them now when they say he's an ass. I have witnessed it in perosn.

and where did you personally witness this at again ??? were you a fan in the stands that was asking for an autograph, or perhaps a handshake?
    Yes, and I had PAID for that right by my required *contribution of $ 25. What I do after that is my right as a consumer, whether or not I was there for a handshake or an autograph or to boo him, I have that right.

My actions are not up for debate here, that is taking the argument away from the main focus. That is that Barry Bonds is a self-absorbed and arrogant fuck .

Im from fl myself Cocoa i know how much Gary was liked...

Canes u got what i was tryin to say wrong.. I dont care about how much media exposure Barry gets...all i was tryin to say was how much the MEDIA has to do with peoples opnions and how they view somebody... i just have a problem with the MEDIA. Hope that clears up what i was tryin to say.
    Shonuff I do understand you, but also read my opinion was NOT made by or shaped by the media. I personally witnessed Barry Bonds bad behavior to the fans at a Celebrity Golf Tournament. Before that I WAS a Bonds fan.

I don't know about you guys but the media is not what shapes my views on things. I like to think that I'm intelligent enough to hear different sides of things and then make up my own desicion on the subject. I don't believe everything I hear and I'm sure you guys are smart so I doubt you do as well. The media doesn't make him an arrogant fuck as Cane says, Barry makes himself an arroagant fuck by the way he acts.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Did I say he doesn't give to charities, what I felt was his bad and selfish behavior to the fans that had PAID to meet him at the charity event because of his celebrity and he had a moral obligation to at least speak to the fans who had paid for the right to be there. The event was promoted with the fact he was to be one of the *stars* at the event and that you would *meet Barry Bonds*, then he walks right past folks with a scowl on his face and not even acknowledging our existance.
    you actually believe that b/c a charity puts on a fund-raiser and says meet barry bonds that you get to meet him just becuase you paid? they suckered you in by labeling their charity with his name - a money making scheme.

Most charties are a money making scheme. I don't give to them anymore after what happened on 9/11. If I want to donate I'll go find a bum on the street and take him to dinner or something, at least then I know he'll get the money and not some exec.

Shonuff I do understand you, but also read my opinion was NOT made by or shaped by the media. I personally witnessed Barry Bonds bad behavior to the fans at a Celebrity Golf Tournament. Before that I WAS a Bonds fan.

i can understand your opinon canes because youve had a personal encounter with him...im just talkin about people who bad mouth ANY athletic that they have not met or seen in person.

9natural9 is offline Banned
    Sounds like a debate to me CANES, but we won't give these 67 posts a title

I think we should discuss Mr. Rose:

Fact: Rose didn't get banished from baseball because he bet on baseball...it was NEVER proven that he bet on baseball. Rose did admit he gambled on everything but baseball. This is why the MLB banished him after signing an agreement stating he could be reinstated after 1 yr. They blackballed Rose and you would have to be a misguided moron not to see that:

1) Rose agreed to be placed on the list of people who were "permanently ineligible". Like others on the list, he would be allowed to apply for re-instatement after one year. Major League Baseball agreed that there would be no ruling as to whether or not Rose bet on baseball.

The agreement also said that Rose acknowledged that Giamatti had treated him fairly, that Giamatti had a factual basis for imposing the penalty, and that Rose could not challenge the agreement in court or otherwise. The exact wording of the two pertinent clauses are:

"Peter Edward Rose is hereby declared permanently ineligible in accordance with Major League Rule 21 and placed on the Ineligible List."

"Rose will conclude these proceedings before the commissioner without a hearing and the commissioner will not make any formal findings or determinations on any matter including without limitation the allegation that Peter Edward Rose bet on any major league baseball games.... Nothing in this agreement shall be deemed either an admission or denial by Peter Edward Rose of the allegation that he bet on any major league baseball game"

This investigation went underway in 1989, the MLB NEVER had the installment of HOF banishment rule until 1990, specifically to KEEP Rose out!!!

CANES & KEYMASTUR, I am sure you witnessed his efforts on the diamond. If you question his playing integrity on the field, that makes me concerned about your eyesight. There is a reason he was coined..."Mr. Effort"

Oh yeah, Bonds issue resolved I believe...he is great, but doesnt shake hands

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    If i made the amount of money that these athletes do, I'd endure just about anything.....

It is a very demanding profession...only a select few are talented enough to make this their profession, and I am sure each player said that early on Neo, but playing a plethora of games becomes demanding and the last thing you want is a microphone in your face while your trying to wash your nuts, so you can see your family you havent seen in weeks, after a double header, in which you just lost a heartbreaker...believe me it is demanding, but you are right they are rewarded monetarily, but sometimes thats not enough....personal freedom is a much precious item!!!

9 are you kidding me? Of all the sports except maybe golf, baseball is probably the least physically demanding unless you are a pitcher or catcher. If anybody should be making the bucks it should be the guys on the ice. As for their personal freedom: They knew that was gone as soon as they decided to join the league. I can't believe you have any pity for these guys. Millions and millions and they can't even sign some autographs at a charity event? Don't get me wrong, there are some players who are outstanding individuals both on and off the field but Barry Bonds is not one of them.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    What kind of cycle do you guys think he's on???

Barry has really packed on the size in the last couple of seasons... He's alot bigger then he was even a few years ago???

I'll match you number of games in baseball to the number of games in hockey....you do the math....I don't have sympathy, I have respect for them, big difference

you actually believe that b/c a charity puts on a fund-raiser and says meet barry bonds that you get to meet him just becuase you paid? they suckered you in by labeling their charity with his name - a money making scheme.
    He wasn't the only celebrity, but he WAS the only rude celebrity there. It was in the news the next day, even on Sportscenter on ESPN how he had dissed the people and how embarassed Marino was for inviting him.

It sure was convenient it was broadcasted NATIONALLY on Sportscenter the next day. Now what would that accomplish, besides negative feedback?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 9natural9
    Sounds like a debate to me CANES, but we won't give these 67 posts a title

I think we should discuss Mr. Rose:

Fact: Rose didn't get banished from baseball because he bet on baseball...it was NEVER proven that he bet on baseball. Rose did admit he gambled on everything but baseball. This is why the MLB banished him after signing an agreement stating he could be reinstated after 1 yr. They blackballed Rose and you would have to be a misguided moron not to see that:
    [QUOTE]

Ouch, 9Natural9 that is tough talk bro, a misguided moron? That is name calling better for the Jui Jitsu guy or BigBoss (two recent morons on the board)

[QUOTE]
    "This investigation went underway in 1989, the MLB NEVER had the installment of HOF banishment rule until 1990, specifically to KEEP Rose out!!!

CANES & KEYMASTUR, I am sure you witnessed his efforts on the diamond. If you question his playing integrity on the field, that makes me concerned about your eyesight. There is a reason he was coined..."Mr. Effort"
    [QUOTE]

He was called Charlie Hustle, but that is a minor discrepancy Yes he was Charlie Hustle on the field while a player, but his gambling debts had gotten very bad by the time he was a manager in the late 1980's, and there is very much a question of whether he still had his complete integrity still intact. He also had reputed ties to underworld Mafioso types, and MLB was not happy about that as well, and supposedly there is a exposé in the Final Rose Report that the Commisioner had tying him to the Mafia.

Oh yeah, Bonds issue resolved I believe...he is great, but doesnt shake hands
    I always agreed with you that Bonds was a great athlete, check my 1st post, I just said I thought he was:

"I hate him; he's smug, cocky and so obviously *in-love* with himself.

Can't deny it though, he's an amazing athlete.

Just wish he wasn't such an asshole to fans and media alike."

9Natural I believe you have stated perfectly the Rose case, and have made my point. Rose SIGNED an agreement with MLB, no one forced him to. He could have stood his ground and taken MLB to court and sued them for slander, because they have cost him a lot of $$$$ but instead he chose to be blackballed.

If he has NOTHING to hide, why would he have signed the agreement? If I had never bet on baseball I would have NEVER signed the agreement, because public pressure would have been on MLB by the fans to change or allow me to be in the HOF after a few years. But Rose has NEVER come out and stated in a court of law that he didn't bet on baseball. If he did that and MLB couldn't prove it, I'd say let him in.

CANES, you are missing the point. I can offer the rebuttal of then why did MLB sign an agreement that there was NO PROOF he did/didn't gamble. They sugar coated it, served it to Rose and his layers, got it inked, and then fucked a man that gave everything out on the diamond. Pete Rose didn't LET anyone blackball him, that's obsurd. The injustice done, and in which the audacity of the MLB and their GOD-LIKE judgement imposed on Pete Rose makes me ashamed to be associated with the human race.

Originally posted by 9natural9
    It is a very demanding profession...only a select few are talented enough to make this their profession, and I am sure each player said that early on Neo, but playing a plethora of games becomes demanding and the last thing you want is a microphone in your face while your trying to wash your nuts, so you can see your family you havent seen in weeks, after a double header, in which you just lost a heartbreaker...believe me it is demanding, but you are right they are rewarded monetarily, but sometimes thats not enough....personal freedom is a much precious item!!!
    Hey no one forces him to be a baseball player. He chose this profession, and they are certain responsibilites most players don't have a problem with, and one of those is being a friendly and polite person, especially to the media and to fans.

9Natural I hope you don't have this same kind of attitude when and if you become a professional athlete. What a shame and pity, and its disrespectful to the fans, who in the end, pay your salary.

He can choose to not talk to the media or fans, he doesn't have too. But then I also have the right to call him a stuck-up, self-absorbed and arrogant fuck too, especially if he PERSONALLY treated me with disdain, which he did at the charity golf event.

In the end, a professional athlete can choose to go and get a regular job, be a 9-5er like everyone else and remain anonymous. But they like the money and fame that being an athlete brings them, no question for most of them that is the motivation. Barry Bonds wants people to kiss his ass but he doesn't want to give anything back to those people, and his attitude is a shame on pro athletes.

9 They may play 162 compared to only 80 something but skating for an hour (clock stops frequently) hardly compares to swinging a bat a couple of times every 40 minutes or standing out in the middle of the grass waiting for somebody to hit the ball your way. It's more of a skill sport (baseball) than a physical one. It requires some strength but come on do you really think these guys are up there with football, hockey, even basketball players?

As for Pete Rose, he got screwed. You might as well kick out all the others in every sport who have commited crimes from the hall of fame. ie, OJ, Jim Brown, etc...

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    BONDS SUCKS!!!!!! I don't care what anyone say's. His massive and awesome hitting (have to give an athlete credit where credit is due) will not help those people up there in the Bay Area in the World Series. Bonds is the only thing that keeps that city on the map besides their trolley cars and fuckin' rice.

So to sum it up...GIANTS SUCK!

What about the 49ers? I don't like them but they're definitely more popular than the San Francisco Treat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information