Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
    Papi93 is offline AR VET

2007-2008 Green Bay Packers Thread

I'm from Wisconsin and grew up about 50 miles from Green Bay. I started watching Packer football back when Bart Starr was the Green Packers coach. Never miss a game. Anyway, I am a little surprised the Packers started out 2-0. We knew that Favre would break Elway's most wins by an NFL quarterback and Marino's TD pass record but it's been a long time since the Pack hasn't started out 1-4, etc.

After watching DE K. Jenkins tear up the first two pre-season games, I expected a little more from him so far. You know that DE Kampman will always give you 100% but I would like to see more of a pass rush out of GB's defensive in the future. Knocking Manning on his ass might have knocked him out of his rhythm in the first half. Fortunately, the Giants self-destructed with stupid penalties (Shockey and Toomer).

WR J. Jones was a hell of a draft pick. He has the softer hands I have seen on a Packer. Everything Favre throws to him he catches. If WR G. Jennings could regain his first half of 2006 form, the Packers would have a solid trio at WR.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    WR G. Jennings was listed inactive for the game because of his hamstring. I haven't heard when he will be able to go.

Morency has really blown his opportunity to become the number one back. I know he is injured but what an opportunity the Pack gave him by not going after a free agent or first-round pick.

Morency will be able to add some speed to the backfield. That is currently, lacking. Wynn shows more a burst than Jackson, though. Jackson reminds me of Edgar Bennett except that he cannot catch a screen pass. Edgar was very good at catching screens and reading his blocks.

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    im a cheese head .... and they are looking good so far... draft picks are really starting to come alive..... and give jenkins a chance he will get there.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by pewntang
    im a cheese head .... and they are looking good so far... draft picks are really starting to come alive..... and give jenkins a chance he will get there.
    It's a long season and Jenkins will get plenty of opportunities. Sometimes, they move Jenkins in at the tackle position and let KGB play DE. I would rather see KGB just come in on passing situations (3rd down) so he stays fresh. Being smaller it's very easy for him to get wore down.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Ryan Grant had a nice catch on Sunday. That spin and run took tremendous balance. I prefer the Pack to keep rotating the backs to keep them fresh.

It was nice to see Favre hitting the backs on passes after Jackson has struggled catching screen passes.

Jennings has really been a non-factor since the second half of last year. He exploded in the pre-season, last year, and had a good first half of the year. His catch and run against the Lions reminded me of a young Antonio Freeman. I wonder how much injuries have had to do with his drop-off?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Favre got the tight ends (Franks, Lee), running backs (full back included), and wide receivers all involved in the passing game. It has been a long time since we have gotten production out of our tight ends (no homo). Favre might be able to go after the passing yardage record this year due to the fact that our running game is so bad. It will be a stretch but a possibility.

Korin Robinson is going to apply for reinstatement but I don't know if he will be able to help the Packers much this year.

Vote for the Green Packers MVP (against the Giants): http://www.packers.com/

My vote went for Favre.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Favre also threw a beautiful pass to Lee and a bullet to Driver for touchdowns. It was good to see Franks catch a touchdown to help build his confidence again. Two touchdowns by Packer tight ends is what we need since Ted Thompson was too cheap to bring in Randy Moss. When Favre is on, he is almost unstoppable. When is is off, he is awful (intereption machine).

Check out the game Randy had against a good Charger defense: http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0011754

GM Ted Thompson would not give up a fourth-round draft pick for him. What an asshat! The Raiders wanted to send Moss to the Packers so he wouldn't be in the AFC. Imagine what the Packers would be doing with Driver, Moss, and Jones.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    If K. Robinson cleans up his act the receiving unit would have been: Moss, Robinson, and Driver. That would have been the league's top trio, IMO. Jones and Jennings as back-ups would give you depth and a strong future at wide receiver.

Favre had a lot of success with Javon Walker. Javon is not Moss but both are very good at catching a jump ball due to their height advantage and leaping ability. Favre would excell with Moss, no doubt.

James Jones looked good in the pre-season with Aaron Rogers. He definitely would have not been given the same playing time but he would still improve with time. Look at Rodgers. He was dreadful his first two preseasons and has improved dramatically this preseason. Jones has soft hands so all he needs to work on is running routes. Driver came up slow and has evolved into a number one receiver. I think Jones could have done the same.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    When I was in the weight room, yesterday, everyone was commenting on how much coverage they were getting on ESPN. I wonder if it is because they are 2-0 or because they played the NEW YORK Giants. ESPN has a major hard-on for the Giants the drama their team loves to create. If the Packers had beaten the Vikings, I doubt they would have gotten the same coverage.

Seattle losing to Arizona really surprised me as well. Arizona has a lot of talent of offense and lost by only 3 points to SF. It looks like that division will be very tight this year. The Rams nose dive is the biggest shock of all. Now they have to go without Orlando Pace for the season.

Dallas vs. Chicago should be an interesting match-up in week 3: http://www.nfl.com/schedules#Week This could be a preview of a playoff game.

The Vikings had a good defense that is almost impossible to run against. If they had a quarterback, they would have beaten the Lions.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Dallas just has too many weapons to shut them down. It doesn't matter how good the defense is. Shut Jones down then you have to deal with Barber. Shut T.O. down and then Witten burns you. Somehow cover all the receivers and Romo runs it for a first down. I haven't heard the status of Terry Glenn but he has turned his career around in Dallas. He is a little soft and tends to get injured often, though.

What was Minnesota thinking by having Jackson start? He was awful when he played against the Packers last year. They should have had a back-up plan. Brooks Bollinger (spelling) played for the Badgers so I know that he is not the answer to your question situation.

Taylor and Peterson would be an excellent one-two punch. It seems that a lot of NFL teams are going to the power/speed back combo. I think it is a good idea because it keeps the backs fresh and lengthens their career.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    http://www.nfl.com/partner/story?id=...nd-ground#vote

Another vote for Favre. The Bengals have too many weapons to vote for Palmer. Anderson is a flash in the pan and had a fluke game. He is not the future of the Browns so it would be a wasted vote.

The Packers linebackers will have to be strong in coverage against Antonio Gates because I don't trust our safeties. They rarely break up a pass or get an interception. Atari is an upgrade over Manuel so the situation is better than last year, though.

I think that they will play the same style, running clock down, as they did against the Eagles. They are going to be looking for where Merriman lines up and try to slow him down. It could be a very boring day on offense if they play with fear.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    I thought this was going to be a good convo in this thread but it's one dude talking to himself!

Go Lions!

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    sorry man, but the Bears are going to put it to those packers

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I love the Packers, the only team I give a shit about. Favre can keep on playing for years and be just as competitive as any QB out there.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    See you in Denver on MNF!!! Ticket prices are already through the roof.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI
    I thought this was going to be a good convo in this thread but it's one dude talking to himself!

Go Lions!
    Jump in at any time. I can talk NFL football all day.

Who is going to be the Lions number back in the future: Bell or Tatum?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by qualityclrk1
    sorry man, but the Bears are going to put it to those packers
    Similar to what they did in the last game of the regular season last year?

Seriously, the Bears offense is not as good as it was last year. They are missing Thomas Jones blocking on passing situations and his one-two punch with Benson.

Will Mike Brown ever make it through another season healthy?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    I love the Packers, the only team I give a shit about. Favre can keep on playing for years and be just as competitive as any QB out there.
    That's why I don't understand why GM Ted Thompson doesn't want to provide Favre with more offensive weapons. It's as if he wants to run him off. A great quarterback does not come around very often. Just ask the Bears.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    See you in Denver on MNF!!! Ticket prices are already through the roof.
    I wonder if Javon Walker will be talking trash before the game? He was pretty bitter when he left Green Bay. I wish GM Ted Thompson would have kept him because he is a very talented wide receiver.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Brandon Jackson is average 2.3 yards per rush: http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypac...istics?team=GB They need to stary Wynn ASAP. Morency needs to get healthy to add some speed to the backfield.

2.3 yards per rush! A full back could do better than that.

Oct. 17th is the earliest Korin Robinson can come back: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...ort=nfl&id=549
    If he can turn his life around we would have a much stronger receiving trio: Driver, Robinson, and James Jones.
    Last edited by Papi93; 09-19-2007 at 01:08 PM.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Jump in at any time. I can talk NFL football all day.

Who is going to be the Lions number back in the future: Bell or Tatum?
    Bell or Tatum? Hmm...that would be the same person! Jones may get back the starting job but they'll still share the carries since Bell is better outside the tackles and Jones is the typical north and south runner. We'll see.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI
    Bell or Tatum? Hmm...that would be the same person! Jones may get back the starting job but they'll still share the carries since Bell is better outside the tackles and Jones is the typical north and south runner. We'll see.
    Opps...I meant to say Jones or Bell. Jones has been a little disappointing since his rookie year. Big things were expected from him and he hasn't delivered. A McAllister-Bush style running combination might be the best thing for the Lions (Jones-Bell).

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    What will be the Packers record by the bye week? Vote here: http://www.packers.com/

I voted for 5-1 but most voted for 4-2...so far.

I didn't know that the Vikings had Kelly Holcomb: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

With Jackson and Bollinger, I wasn't worried about the Vikings quarterbacks but Holcomb can light it up from time-to-time.

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers Head Coach for coach of the week:http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=coaches

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    DeShawn Wynn for rookie of the week: http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/09/18/1/

WR James Jones went down with an injury in practice yesterday. Hopefully, he will be able to go or Ruvell Martin will be bumped up to the number two receiver.

Jennings is still out as far as I know.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Brett Favre was named NFC offensive player of the week:
    http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/09/19/5/

SwiftMove83 is offline Associate Member
    yeah im with you papi, go pack!

I was at the preseason game when we smoked the seahawks..that was a good game..

and did someone say the be@rs on here? isnt their a rule on that?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMove83
    yeah im with you papi, go pack!

I was at the preseason game when we smoked the seahawks..that was a good game..

and did someone say the be@rs on here? isnt their a rule on that?
    Money well spent on the Seahawks game. Jenkins and the defense put on an amazing performance. I wish Jenkins would show some of that potential he displayed in the first two preseason games.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Bears play the Cowboys on Sunday Night Football. It give the Pack a good evaluation of both teams. We have to play the Cowboys later this year at Dallas.

yeah its been a while since we have owned the cowboys
    I'm just really glad we are 3-0 after getting through the chargers today, and brett tied the record, but i was hoping he would beat it to, to get that out of the way. and it would have been at home.

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not a big Packers fan at all but it is cool to see the old Favre out there again having a good time and kicking ass before he retires (maybe). He has looked really good so far this season. I'm for the Chicago area and I've told my friends countless times that the Packers will be good this season and I think they will make the playoffs. This is going to be an interesting season in the NFC north IMO.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    yeah its been a while since we have owned the cowboys
    I'm just really glad we are 3-0 after getting through the chargers today, and brett tied the record, but i was hoping he would beat it to, to get that out of the way. and it would have been at home.
    The Cowboys put a beating on the Bears. Good news, Bears offense is nothing to worry about. Bad news, the Cowboys have insane depth on their offense...especially when Terry Glenn returns from injury.

Favre would have gotten the record if Bubba Franks did not drop that pass in the end zone. WR James Jones needs to work with Franks and teach him how to catch a pass.

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    The Cowboys put a beating on the Bears. Good news, Bears offense is nothing to worry about. Bad news, the Cowboys have insane depth on their offense...especially when Terry Glenn returns from injury.

Favre would have gotten the record if Bubba Franks did not drop that pass in the end zone. WR James Jones needs to work with Franks and teach him how to catch a pass.
    Cowboys are looking good. Marion Barber appears to have wrapped up the starting job ahead of Julius Jones. Barber is a fantastic player.

James Jones has been a big surprise this year. Any news on Jennings and when he might come back. Also, how good do you think Jennings can be? He started off with a bang but slowed down at the end of the year.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by rar1015
    I'm not a big Packers fan at all but it is cool to see the old Favre out there again having a good time and kicking ass before he retires (maybe). He has looked really good so far this season. I'm for the Chicago area and I've told my friends countless times that the Packers will be good this season and I think they will make the playoffs. This is going to be an interesting season in the NFC north IMO.
    After watching the Bears struggle on offense against the Cowboys, the Bears-Packers match-up should be very good this year. The NFC North should come down to Bears vs. Packers. Vikings have no offense and the Lions have no defense so they should fall behind as the seasons progresses. Chicago sports radio loves to place the blame on Rex Grossman for everything but Deangleo (spelling) made a huge mistake in letting Thomas Jones go. He outperformed Benson and the only reason Benson is the back is because he was a Chicago number one draft pick.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph28
    Cowboys are looking good. Marion Barber appears to have wrapped up the starting job ahead of Julius Jones. Barber is a fantastic player.

James Jones has been a big surprise this year. Any news on Jennings and when he might come back. Also, how good do you think Jennings can be? He started off with a bang but slowed down at the end of the year.
    I don't know. They seem to be having success with starting out with Jones and then progressing to Barber. Don't fix what isn't broken, IMO. Having a one-two punch at running back is the way the NFL has changed. Running back careers are shortened with injuries when they are given too many carries.

James Jones has the softest hands I have ever seen on a Packer receiver. He catches the ball away from his body and can pluck bad passes out of the air with ease. Jennings had a game winning catch yesterday. He showed some speed that he hasn't shown since mid-season last year. If he can stay healthy, he could be a poor man's Antonio Freeman, IMO.

Wohoo packers pulled it off and have a great start at 4-0
    Our pass D was a little shaky a couple drives, but our pass rush really helped out.

One major concern I have is that our running game needs help..

oh and of course favre's record is a plus

scottish is offline Associate Member
    My wife says, GO PACKERS..........

Blog Entries
    I must add the badgers are killing it this year to.....

congrats to farve on the record... and packers now have longest active winning streak.... wahoo...

Quote Originally Posted by pewntang
    ]congrats to farve on the record... a
    If your going to congrats him at least get his name right "Favre"
    Yeah I know its kinda weird...

scottish is offline Associate Member
    hahaaha. That has to be one of the wierdest spelled names..

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Wohoo packers pulled it off and have a great start at 4-0
    Our pass D was a little shaky a couple drives, but our pass rush really helped out.

One major concern I have is that our running game needs help..
    J. Bush really seems to be the weak link. Rice burned him bad several times. Kampman and KGB provided a good pass rush. I would like to see more pass rush from Jenkins, though.

I don't understand how our running blocking has gotten worse since we have all of the same lineman except the right guard.

Blog Entries
    If your going to congrats him at least get his name right "Favre"
    Yeah I know its kinda weird...

all kidding aside that was a typo ... i knew how to spell his name... lol.. well my bad.

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread Information