Thread: Tanning

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Tanning

Okay, so recently I've started tanning. It's a little joint that also rents out movies as well, haha. Anyways I had a few questions. They have two beds, a "Bronzer" and the "Hot Bed", I initially started out on the hot bed, worked my way up to 20 minutes (the max) then switched over to the bronzer for a few sessions (also at 20 minute max) and just came back to the hot bed. My days looke like this, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off, rinse & repeat... I've recently started peeling a little bit as well, I'm using a moisturizing bodywash for dry skin and it helps a little bit but not as much as I would expect. I would like to get a little bit darker, I've developed a base tan, nothing too dark, but decent for me and would like to know how to best improve it. So... Am I tanning correctly? Should I be switching back and forth between the hot bed and bronzer, or stick with one? If so, which one? Also, are there any moisturizers and lotions you'd recommend and how often do I need to apply? I really don't want to have to walk around with a bottle of lotion throughout the day lol. Oh, and as far as tanning lotion goes, I'm almost out of a x7 whatever its called and have a cheaper x3 bronzer I'm using... I don't want to spend a crapload on tanning lotion, it is freakin' expensive! Thank you all!

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    Lotions:

Go with a silicone or hemp based product. Lots of good makes out there; Designer Skin, Playboy, Supre, Hempz, California Tan...

I'd go with an accelerator lotion first; that'll get you to your "tannest" color faster. Then got with a bronzer to darken it up, take some of the red tint out.

As for the beds, I'd ask the owners these questions:

1. When is the last time the acrylics and lamps were changed. The newer those are, the better your results will be.
    2. Then look at the lamps in the beds. If they say "5000" that means they are putting out about 5% UVB. If they say "7000", they are stronger lamps; I'd go with the stronger lamped bed, unless they're really old (see question 1.) Also, if they are both the same number, but the lamps say "FR", or "R" they are reflective lamps, and are usually much stronger than regular lamps.

You should be able to tan every 24 hours. If you're peeling because your skin is dry, use a good lotion like Hempz or Angel every time you take a shower, or leave the tanning bed. Tanning will dry out your skin if you do it frequently.

Let me know if you've got anymore questions.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks LGM, I'll look for those brands online... All the lotions in there seem "way" overpriced!

kiki123 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018 View Post
    My days looke like this, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off, rinse & repeat...
    Wow I go like once a week.. You must be brown as hell. TBH I'm not surprised that your peeling, Just take it slow and dont rush getting a tan.

TopDogUK is offline Junior Member
    Yeah seems like over kill on the tan, EOD and for 20mintues a time, the sun beds must be poor!! I go twice a week for 9mins a time and ive got a nice tan, also keeps spots at a minimum although there is debate about it actually doing that i believe it does!

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogUK View Post
    Yeah seems like over kill on the tan, EOD and for 20mintues a time, the sun beds must be poor!! I go twice a week for 9mins a time and ive got a nice tan, also keeps spots at a minimum although there is debate about it actually doing that i believe it does!
    What works for you may not work for him. Laws in the States prohibit more than once every 24 hours. Your skin, diet, drugs you take, and the bed lamps, acrylic, and lotions all have a major effect on tanning.

deladude is offline Associate Member
    try hitting a high pressure bed. you'll of course have to find a tanning salon to find one and they are expensive as hell to use but they work waaaaay better, its like night and day. you can get a nice dark tan in that and maintain with the ones youre using now.
    my girl works in a tanning salon, wasnt the darkest but after buyign some good bronzer and using the high pressure beds she gets mistaken for a mexican....a realy realy dark mexican,lol

lil_herc81 is offline Member
    Tanning in a nutshell, once you have a base tan you really only need to maintain. 1-2x weekly will suffice. Use the tanning lotions and to keep longer you can use tan extenders which are moisturizers. I work for one of the manufacturers so if you want something let me know and I can hook you up FAT. We carry most australian gold, designer skin, and California tan in house. We also have all of the smaller names within these companies such as Swedish beauty and matahari, plus more.

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    I'd save your skin cells, avoid melanoma and try MT2 instead......

thats my personal tanning preference anyway.

**** bottles, sun beds and lotions.

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppers View Post
    I'd save your skin cells, avoid melanoma and try MT2 instead......

thats my personal tanning preference anyway.

**** bottles, sun beds and lotions.
    word.

swllce is offline Associate Member
    Mt2?
    Where can that be bought?

DFOSTER is offline Junior Member
    if the place only has 2 beds my guess would be they are not top of the line beds you would probably benefit more by going to a place with better beds most likely going to keep up on changing the bulbs out and getting higher end products

DFOSTER is offline Junior Member
    not always but there's a good chance atleast

Thread Information