numero_uno is offline Junior Member

Alternative to Neosporin?

Hey guys, I had a small mole removed from my upper stomach / rib area (it's been tested and there were no abnormalities, doc just didn't like the look of it and I'm the cautious type). He told me to keep it dressed and lubricated to keep the scarring to a minimum so I bought some neosporin and bandages on the way home. Fast forward about a week later and I'm having a pretty nasty allergic reaction. Looks terrible and now I'm even more worried about scarring. Anyway, I tried to ask the pharmacist what other products I could use tonight but I literally couldn't understand a word he said.

Anybody else allergic to this stuff? If so, what do you use? I googled it from the pharmacy on my phone but I could not find any the brands I saw recommended by other people who have had this problem. Thanks for reading. Would appreciate any advice. Really want to get something to apply to this wound to speed healing and keep the scarring down, as its in a pretty visible location and it's summer time!

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    mederma is good for scarring.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

I will check it out on my way home tonight. Thanks!

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Go ahead and grab some topical hydrocortisone cream, apply it between 1-4 times daily. It will help with the irritation. Keep it out of your eyes, and if redness, swelling, or oozing of pus develop go back to your doctor.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I actually wound up just getting some Vaseline. Keeping a little of that on there seems to be doing he trick and there is nothing in it to cause an allergic reaction. Now I'm just trying to fight the skin irritation that day after day of bandaids causes. There's only so many different angles I can put those suckers on there!

Thread Information