Thread: Sleep question

apple2go is offline Junior Member

Sleep question

Hi,

I have shoulder pain, went through a surgery, which was succesful according to my doc. But my shoulder is still in pain even after 3month of PT and rest.
    So I end up looking after alternatives. What I researched is that sleeping on your stomach can be harmful to my shoulder and neck(sometimes I have a weird feeling like pain in my shoulder is comes from my neck).

I have only one concern. I can only sleep in my stomach. I cannot fall asleep if I am on my side or back. I tried many times but after realizing I cannot fall asleep I switched postition and thought something like this: 'Now I'm turning, it was a long day I need to rest and fall asleep ASAP'. Then instantly fell asleep. When I wake up i'm always on my stomach too.

Can you recommend me any method to 'learn' how to sleep on my back and then not turn on my stomach when sleeping?

Thank you!
    I would appreciate any thougths in regard with this topic.

PS: I don't know whether I started this thread in the right section. If not please move it to it's place. Thanks!

cc5501 is offline Junior Member
    I went through this too. Mine was a little different as I had to have the upper half of my body elevated.

What I ended up doing was putting several pillows around my head and sides to sort of still have the feeling of having something to lean on if you will. Then I was able to put my hands at my side and/or on my belly and dose off. It was uncomfortable at first but I got used to it after a few days and it did help my problem (partially torn tendon had to heal).

Now, I'm back to sleeping with an arm under my head which is bad for my shoulder (not to mention for your face) so I should really do this again.

Good luck!

GrimmReaper is offline Senior Member
    I also had a similar problem with surgery and sleeping, it is VERY had for me to sleep on anything but my side but honestly ambien helped. Dr. gave me an rx of ambien and I was able to sleep some on my back. Worth a shot IMO, you can't stay awake on that stuff even standing up.

Thread Information