• 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat

Thread: AnyOne? Graston Techique?!?

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

AnyOne? Graston Techique?!?

Anyone have any experience with this type of therapy?

http://www.grastontechnique.com/ASynopsis.html

About Graston Technique®
    Changing the way soft tissue injuries are treated

Graston Technique® is an evidence-based form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively address scar tissue and fascial restrictions through comprehensive training, resulting in improved patient outcomes.

The technique uses specially-designed stainless steel instruments, along with appropriate therapeutic exercise, to specifically detect and effectively treat areas exhibiting soft tissue fibrosis or chronic inflammation. The instruments also are used diagnostically to follow the kinetic chain, to locate and treat the cause of the symptom as well as the specific area of pain.

Originally developed by athletes, Graston Technique® is a unique evidence-based form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization used by more than 22,650 clinicians worldwide
    -- including physical and occupational therapists, hand therapists, chiropractors, and athletic trainers.

GT is utilized at some 2,700 outpatient facilities and 77 industrial sites, by more than 384 professional and amateur sports organizations, and is part of the curriculum at 45 respected colleges and universities.

Outpatient Facilities (US)
    Outpatient Facilities (Canada)
    Companies/Industry
    Colleges and Universities
    Sports Organizations

For the clinician:
    Provides improved diagnostic treatment
    Detects major and minor fibrotic changes
    Reduces manual stress; provides hand and joint conservation
    Increases patient satisfaction by achieving notably better outcomes
    Expands business and revenue opportunities

For the patient:
    Decreases overall time of treatment
    Fosters faster rehabilitation/recovery
    Reduces need for anti-inflammatory medication
    Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
    For employers and the healthcare industry:
    Allows patients to remain on the job
    Reduces the need for splints, braces and job-site modifications
    Contributes to reduction of labor and healthcare costs, direct and indirect
    See what experts and researchers have to say about the Graston Technique®

"The Graston Technique® Instruments allow a deeper, more sensitive palpation and treatment of densified tissue."
    --Warren I. Hammer, MS, DC, DABCO

Six stainless steel instruments form the cornerstone of Graston Technique®
    The curvilinear edge of the patented Graston Technique®Instruments combines with their concave/convex shapes to mold the instruments to various contours of the body. This design allows for ease of treatment, minimal stress to the clinician's hands and maximum tissue penetration.

The Graston Technique® Instruments, much like a tuning fork, resonate in the clinician's hands allowing the clinician to isolate adhesions and restrictions, and treat them very precisely. Since the metal surface of the instruments does not compress as do the fat pads of the finger, deeper restrictions can be accessed and treated. When explaining the properties of the instruments, we often use the analogy of a stethoscope. Just as a stethoscope amplifies what the human ear can hear, so do the instruments increase significantly what the human hands can feel.

Graston Technique® is a registered trademark.

Decreases overall time of treatment
    Fosters faster rehabilitation/recovery
    Reduces need for anti-inflammatory medication
    Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
    For employers and the healthcare industry:
    Allows patients to remain on the job
    Reduces the need for splints, braces and job-site modifications
    Contributes to reduction of labor and healthcare costs, direct and indirect
    See what experts and researchers have to say about the Graston Technique®
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I just found one not far from me, Girly! I'll let you know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3
    I just found one not far from me, Girly! I'll let you know how it goes
    I would love to hear of your experience. I was informed that it could help improve RC rom. The person I spoke with had Frozen shoulder after RC surgery.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    I would love to hear of your experience. I was informed that it could help improve RC rom. The person I spoke with had Frozen shoulder after RC surgery.
    I sure will, Girly! I just found out that my one co-worker's brother is a chiro/DTM W/Graston technique - so I'm sorta looking for the best and he's one of the few with an advanced kinesiology degree as well!

I too, had a frozen shoulder b4 and that is not fun at all! Very painful! The best thing she can do is try working through it(or w/a Physical Therapist who does Graston Techniques! I had to actually start back to lift to unfreeze it lol - it hurt sooo bad but when that scar tissue popped and released(I was actually scared to move as I thought I just broke the damn thing) then I moved it and it was a night and day difference! I'm stubborn so not something she'd want or most likely should do... At least she can take the necessary steps to give this a go... And yourself!!!

Will update when I get it done!

I sure will, Girly! I just found out that my one co-worker's brother is a chiro/DTM W/Graston technique - so I'm sorta looking for the best and he's one of the few with an advanced kinesiology degree as well! I too, had a frozen shoulder b4 and that is not fun at all! Very painful! The best thing she can do is try working through it(or w/a Physical Therapist who does Graston Techniques! I had to actually start back to lift to unfreeze it lol - it hurt sooo bad but when that scar tissue popped and released(I was actually scared to move as I thought I just broke the damn thing) then I moved it and it was a night and day difference! I'm stubborn so not something she'd want or most likely should do... At least she can take the necessary steps to give this a go... And yourself!!! Will update when I get it done!
    The person used this technique and has more ROM then I do. She said it was almost painful and took several visits 6-8. I like that kind of pain! I am going to see if I can't get myself into a practitioner. I have high hopes for this natural / holistic approach!
    Thx Nach!
    NACH3 likes this.

Have an assessment this week. My main issue will be finding a doc to write a script since don't have a prince care physician ATM.
    NACH3 likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    just finding this thread Girly, as I have been interested in this for all of my ailments

keep us posted!!!

Viking13 is offline Associate Member
    Have had graston, ART and cold laser therapy done for several of the soft tissue injuries I've had over the years. I think it served me well, but while it helped it was not the main factor in healing any of the injuries I've used it for. Combined with a solid physical therapy protocol it helped speed the waking process for me.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I don't have any experience with the Graston technique, but an older(than me) PL buddy of mine from NC has gotten good result from a process called body tempering. He has found it especially effective for his lower back, glutes, and hammies.
    As far as frozen shoulder, I was within a gnat's @ss of having to be sedated and have my shoulder physically moved out of the very limited ROM I had. I had ruptured my bursa, but had other health concerns at the time. Rehab was an extremely uncomfortable process; fortunately helped me avoid the surgical intervention.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Had a free consultation and the therapist performed a short session. I can see it may be beneficial however therapist evaluation is only when coupled with a PT program to correct posture. Long hours, seated, and poor workplace setup (nothing customizable) is contributing. Not working out for 7 months has contributed since lifting was strengthening back and promoting posture.

I am encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun
    just finding this thread Girly, as I have been interested in this for all of my ailments keep us posted!!!
    You may want to look into a free consultation. Maybe the issues are structural based!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking13
    Have had graston, ART and cold laser therapy done for several of the soft tissue injuries I've had over the years. I think it served me well, but while it helped it was not the main factor in healing any of the injuries I've used it for. Combined with a solid physical therapy protocol it helped speed the waking process for me.
    Solid PT program is the key component suggested by rehab center.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    I don't have any experience with the Graston technique, but an older(than me) PL buddy of mine from NC has gotten good result from a process called body tempering. He has found it especially effective for his lower back, glutes, and hammies. As far as frozen shoulder, I was within a gnat's @ss of having to be sedated and have my shoulder physically moved out of the very limited ROM I had. I had ruptured my bursa, but had other health concerns at the time. Rehab was an extremely uncomfortable process; fortunately helped me avoid the surgical intervention.
    I had RC surgery. Recovery time was much longer then I anticipated. PT torture!!!!

I would enjoy body tempering!!! Never heard of it. Very interesting.

@ RC. Take a look at a vid on this technique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQM5-Uwui0o
    almostgone likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I had RC surgery. Recovery time was much longer then I anticipated. PT torture!!!!

I would enjoy body tempering!!! Never heard of it. Very interesting.

@ RC. Take a look at a vid on this technique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQM5-Uwui0o
    Girly, when did you have your RC surgery? I was not aware of this... I need to go back to PT myself and utilize ART/Graston as well - but I think they will tell me the same thing... Go to PT first and improve the ROM which I really need to do! Deep tissue massage works bug for very limited time(ie; after I lift its back to crap) lol :/ but I'm very grateful to be back in the gym consistently(painful) but I won't stop... Just trying to lift smarter... Slower more controlled and TUT training has helped but in order to grow(really grow lol) I'll have to push past it all, but yet try and be as smart as possible<--- ooh that's tough

Girly, when did you have your RC surgery? I was not aware of this... I need to go back to PT myself and utilize ART/Graston as well - but I think they will tell me the same thing... Go to PT first and improve the ROM which I really need to do! Deep tissue massage works bug for very limited time(ie; after I lift its back to crap) lol :/ but I'm very grateful to be back in the gym consistently(painful) but I won't stop... Just trying to lift smarter... Slower more controlled and TUT training has helped but in order to grow(really grow lol) I'll have to push past it all, but yet try and be as smart as possible<--- ooh that's tough
    Nach. RC was 3 years ago, Initial injury in 2011 working out. And then re-injured in 2012 working out. Did the PT and it's ok now. I even did a toughmudder in 2014.

My issues are structural. Scoliosis doesn't help. Sitting and computer is causing worst posture. I need to strengthen the back. Neck ROM is worst then the shoulder. This came about since I haven't worked out since July. I am back to gym tomorrow. That should help! I'll be setting up PT soon! Graston will be a component. Increasing strength the bigger component!

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Nach. RC was 3 years ago, Initial injury in 2011 working out. And then re-injured in 2012 working out. Did the PT and it's ok now. I even did a toughmudder in 2014.

My issues are structural. Scoliosis doesn't help. Sitting and computer is causing worst posture. I need to strengthen the back. Neck ROM is worst then the shoulder. This came about since I haven't worked out since July. I am back to gym tomorrow. That should help! I'll be setting up PT soon! Graston will be a component. Increasing strength the bigger component!
    Oh wow... And yes I run into the posture thing as well(sitting at a computer) with clients all of the time! Posture is so ridiculously important! PT will be great(painful but good)... Strengthening your back and loosening up your thoracic spine will help plus your cervical spine sounds like it's freezing up as well(or tightening up due to the shoulder as well) - oh forgot about the scoliosis... Does that attack the whole spine of just parts? Bottom being the worst correct(or crooked as in a ? Mark)??

My shoulder is a structural problem, too! Sucks! I wish you the best and keep us posted how things go... You know getting back in the gym will be rough for the first wk or two but just concentrate on stretching pre and definitely post w/o!
    GL
    Last edited by NACH3; 01-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.

Viking13 is offline Associate Member
    Is it possible to request a standing desk at your work to help with the posture issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking13
    Is it possible to request a standing desk at your work to help with the posture issues?
    I would rather stand or at least have the option to stand for a better portion of the day.

The offices in my area are not configured to the "standard" so the workstation surface width cannot accommodate device. It really $uck$. I looked into "saddle" chairs but that won't work with my pencil skirts and I wear mostly skirts. I got to show off my ONE awesome feature. LoL

I am now looking into ball chairs or even just a stool. I do have adjustable monitors - yayyyy!

A new colleague just mentioned that he swapped out the one provided for his old office chair. The chairs given are more for conference room seating. The whole issue is this area was not configured for full time office staff. They were for visitors so ergonomics was NOT considered.
    almostgone likes this.

Oh wow... And yes I run into the posture thing as well(sitting at a computer) with clients all of the time! Posture is so ridiculously important! PT will be great(painful but good)... Strengthening your back and loosening up your thoracic spine will help plus your cervical spine sounds like it's freezing up as well(or tightening up due to the shoulder as well) - oh forgot about the scoliosis... Does that attack the whole spine of just parts? Bottom being the worst correct(or crooked as in a ? Mark)?? My shoulder is a structural problem, too! Sucks! I wish you the best and keep us posted how things go... You know getting back in the gym will be rough for the first wk or two but just concentrate on stretching pre and definitely post w/o! GL
    Headed out for the gym now. It's gonna be fugly. LoL.
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information