Thread: Body Fat Scale

big swoll is offline Member

Body Fat Scale

has anyone used one of the scales that measures body fat as well as weight...ive been thinking about getting one....from what i read they are supposed to be fairly accurate...thanks

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Unless you spend big bux on a good one they're not very accurate. I used a cheap one before and it was WAY off!

lilbull is offline Associate Member
    I wasted money on one, and unless it's really expensive it's not even close. Mine uses some kind of BMI calculator to figure it out and it is way off.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big swoll
    has anyone used one of the scales that measures body fat as well as weight...ive been thinking about getting one....from what i read they are supposed to be fairly accurate...thanks
    I use the Tanita. I think it is reasonably accrate. If it is not accurate at least it is consistent, which is more than I can say for the calipers. You still nneed to take your reading at the same time each day. I like to take it first thing in the morning.

Sure it is not as goot as water dispacement, but its a pretty decent gauge and is reasonable inexpensive.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Like Beenie I have one of those Tanita.......I like it. I'm sure it's not 100% but then again I use it to see progress. All I care is that it moves in the right direction.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there accurate bro..

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianMuscle
    I don't think there accurate bro..
    Probably true, but certainly as accurate as callibers.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Clippers arnt accuret? i think them scales swallow i was on one and it said i was 37%... i was like sh.it then i fall on my side and rolled home..

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess
    Clippers arnt accuret? i think them scales swallow i was on one and it said i was 37%... i was like sh.it then i fall on my side and rolled home..
    It doesn't sound as though you input your data corretly into the scale. The scale assumes that that the user enter his personal data in correctly-- your height your gender, etc. There is a gym that I know that tests elecronically. 37% sounds to me as though the your inputs were completely off the board - or that you are very out of shape.

maybe but i think i put in all the stats corectly since i know im 6'1 and 220 and male.. so where could of i went wrong.. ?

big swoll is offline Member
    well i bought a scale and i found out first hand that they do not work very well....if you look closely at the box many of them say "do not work on bodybuilders, athletes, or anyone who exercises more than 10 hours a week" ....i have been measured professionally and got a reading of 12.7.......the scale says 27....quite a big difference....and for those of you who care im 5'10" 215lbs

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    when i was in much better shap, my GF bought me for around 100 bucks CDN, i stepped on put in my info 5'5 178 lbs at the time and then it read a whopping 24.3 % their is no way in hell i carry that much fat, I was around 14% at the time. i find the ones u hold are much more accurate then the ones you step on.

i guess its just not me then.. ::falls on the side and keeps on rollin::

dangit is offline Member
    when I was real ripped for a comp last year I tried one too. I entered everything correctly and it showed me as around 30% bodyfat. I was ripped and had veins coming out everywere. So the scale was way off

My gf tried it and it read correctly for her. She was a tiny little thing that never worked out. So I don't think they're made for people with dense muscle mass.

I rely on the mirror and calipers. If you take a 7 point measurement test, then it should give you a half decent idea of your bodyfat.

paul1454 is offline New Member
    I know tanita has some out now that have a special setting for "athletes". I tried it out at a friends house and it seemed pretty accurate to me.

taquipariu is offline Associate Member
    I donīt think they work. How would they measure your bones, itīs density, and whatīs fat from whatīs muscle. Only with some kind of ray that measures within you you could do it.
    Even measuring the traditional way isnīt accurate... thos scales are way out... I would not buy one!

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Nothing is 100% accurate. The holy grail of BF calculators (the water test) is only accurate to like +/-3%. The main problem with the scale is the way it measures your body fat. It sends a small electrical pulse up your body and times how long it takes for it to get back down. If you have socks on, it's going to change the result, if you've eaten, it's going to change the result, if you've drank it's going to change the result. These things are good for getting a good idea of what your BF is and if you're gaining or losing.

Even with scales, they aren't 100% accurate, but they give you a good idea of changes. If you go to the doctor, they should be weighing you with the same scale at about the same time of day for accuracy. At home, you should use one scale and only weigh yourself in the morning after you've used the bathroom, so you don't have food or liquid in your stomach.

Calipers aren't accurate at all either, but they are simple to use and very cheap, that's the only reason they are so widely used. If you use two different pairs of callipers, you'll probably get two different results also. Have two different people do the measurement with the same callipers and you may get two different results.

And it's better to get a better BF scale (not the most expensive, just better quality). Make sure it doesn't have a problem with large amounts of muscle mass, you'll be okay, it will give you a good idea if you're losing or gaining if nothing else.

Thread Information