jimihendryx is offline Associate Member

Types of protein

Lots of threads on here about whey protein, taste, etc. I've got a couple more questions though.

First, what about the whey isolates? Several brands offer a more expensive version. Some are blended with egg protein, etc. All say "isolate" in the title. Are these worth the extra expense? Why or why not?

Also, Casein... obviously more expensive... does it have it's place? If you take protein at intervals throughout the day, and you workout in the morning, might it be better to do casein protein vs. standard whey in the pm?

Any thoughts?

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    casien is better suited for night time, before bed, etc

as for whey, just get a decent brand of concentrate, unless you have digestion problems, or are highly sensitive to lactose.

OK, so what is best possible scenereo? Whey in the morning and casein at night? Is casein superior in general when used in pm?

Isolate thing total crap? Seems like a number of brands offering isolate versions... all for more $

And what about egg protein? Read that it's better for some reason, but I can't remember why... seems to be more expensive too. Anybody got a take on one TYPE of protein vs. another?

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Isolate is generally more expensive because it is more pure. The fat and carb content are much lower in isolate, and it tends to cause less bloating and gas. As for your nighttime shake, I would suggest half casein and half whey, so that you have a mix of fast-digesting and slow-digesting protein when you hit the sack.

OK... what about egg protein?

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    i prefer isolate because i get gas n other things associated with high protein n dairy. Casein is a slower digesting protein so itll last u through the night. Really it all depends on what ur looking for, if ur diet wont notice the few extra carbs n fat, n ur stomach can handle it then go with the cheaper stuff, i doubt ull see a diff.

harl is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimihendryx
    OK... what about egg protein?

Egg is the best source of protein you can get......

Quote Originally Posted by harl
    Egg is the best source of protein you can get......
    That's kind of what I'm getting at... it's more per gram or whatever, but what about overall effectiveness? If it's a better building block, then I'd need to connsume less, right?

I'm just trying to weigh the various factors involved. I just ordered some whey protein, so I guess I'll be taking that for a while, but I've got digestive issues, and want to do this as cleanly and efficiently as possible.

I also have an incredibly stressfull job where I have to be 100% at all times... I can't have a day where constipation, stomach cramps or something like that drags me down.

Suareezay2 is offline New Member
    If you dont mind possible bloat, and if you dont experience digestion problems with it, you can get away with concentrate. I myself prefer isolate for PWO.

When I cant get a real meal in, i use a mix of WPI/egg/casein/soy all at 25%. I also add a scoop of this ontop of a cup of 1% cottage cheese (casein) before bed.

Store bought "blends" are misleading though. Instead of listing the amount of each type of protein, they call it a "proprietary blend" so they dont have to list the ingredients of that blend in descending order in relation to how much of that ingredient is in the product. In other words a "blend" of WPC/casien/egg could be nothing more than 98% cheap whey protein concentrate/1% egg and/1% casein, and legally they can get away with that. Any company that would do this isnt a company i would trust or use either.

Thread Information