Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

Cassein vs. Whey, both?

I have been taking a whey supplement, carb supplement and my EFA's. However, I read that I need to use Cassein protein as well because the absorption time of it is longer. My question is this, when would be the best time to use the whey and the cassien? I imagine a scoop of whey right after I wake up and before my workout, and then several scoops after my workout would be fine. Would the cassein just be used in addition to my meals and before bed? Are the cheaper whey products just as good as the more expensive without the good taste? Would you reccommend a pure cassein, egg, or blended mix of proteins? What brand of whey/cassein/cassein blend protein would you all reccommend? Any answers to any or all my questions is appreciated!

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    I have been taking a whey supplement, carb supplement and my EFA's. However, I read that I need to use Cassein protein as well because the absorption time of it is longer. My question is this, when would be the best time to use the whey and the cassien? I imagine a scoop of whey right after I wake up and before my workout, and then several scoops after my workout would be fine. Would the cassein just be used in addition to my meals and before bed? Are the cheaper whey products just as good as the more expensive without the good taste? Would you reccommend a pure cassein, egg, or blended mix of proteins? What brand of whey/cassein/cassein blend protein would you all reccommend? Any answers to any or all my questions is appreciated!
    Very intuitive on your part. Whey is the most bioavailable protein so that is why it is the staple. However, before bedtime (8 hour starve), casein is a better choice b/c it's digested slower therefore decreasing the starve time. I prefer whey isolate b/c there's no gas, some people use complete whey. You shouldn't need casein WITH meals, strictly before bed. With protein, you usually get what you pay for minus the brand name i.e. nitro tech and cell tech overpriced. try www.allthewhey.com

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Whey is excellent pre and post workout. It is also good for breakfast. At all other times egg, milk, casein proteins make the better choice due to slower absorption and smaller insulin spike. The downside is that egg, milk, and caseins are much more expensive than whey.

So cassein protein before bed would be the only time I would need it?

alo5603 is offline Member
    pretty much, cuz your meals during the day should be solid anyway, with your pwo a shake. you can take casein along with meals for added protein i guess, but again, there probably isnt going to be a need, unless you find yourself with no appetite at feedin time.

alo

Cool. Its not that I don't have an appetite, but an extra 20 grams of protein per meal would be pretty nice. Would it be better to get a cassein protein mixed with other types of slow digesting proteins, or a cassein by itself?

alo5603 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    Cool. Its not that I don't have an appetite, but an extra 20 grams of protein per meal would be pretty nice. Would it be better to get a cassein protein mixed with other types of slow digesting proteins, or a cassein by itself?
    it doesnt matter, i dont really get that creative, i think its overkill IMO. but either way, just make sure the casein is in it.

alo

Thread Information