Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator

Glutamine what you need to know

OK this is a very basic outline of Glutamine.

Glutamine is an amino acid widely used to maintain good brain functioning. Glutamine is a derivative of glutamic acid which is synthesized from the amino acids arginine, ornithine and proline. Glutamine
    improves mental alertness, clarity of thinking and mood. It is found in animal proteins.

Glutamic acid is also a precursor of GABA, an important neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. Glutamic acid helps transport potassium into the spinal fluid and is itself an excitatory neurotransmitter.

Because glutamic acid cannot cross the blood brain barrier, where most of the metabolism takes place,
    glutamine, which can cross this barrier, works better in supplement form. Glutamine can also be used by
    cells like glucose for metabolic energy. Thus is popular in athletic supplements.

If you weight train, chances are you need more glutamine than couch potato's.BB normally use between 10-15 a day and the avg person needs to consume btween 2-4 g a day Glutamine is the most plentiful free amino acid in the body's muscle tissue. L-Glutamine plays a very important role in protein metabolism,
    cell volumizing, and anti-catabolism, which means that it may help prevent your muscle's breakdown.

Under periods of stress like really intense workouts, glutamine becomes critical because your body may not
    be able to make enough of it. But studies show that glutamine supplementation is an effective way to replace these declining levels and thus maintain peak athletic performance.

Hope this helps to clear up some confusion

Billy

edraven29 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up holy cow thanks billy boy that awsome

Thanks billy boy i am gonna print that one.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Lovelly Jubbly!

Make sure that you take L-Glutamine away from other protein sources, as it will not be ingested. Preferably take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

I Take 10Grams after training also, with a Carbohydrate drink.

Not to be confused with Glutamine Peptides. If you have a protein supplement which states "added glutamine" make sure you have Glutamine Peptides not L-Glutamine.

L-Glutamine is one of my "year round" supplements.

Good Post Billy Boy.

BA

Cheers BA

Do you take 20 g a day then ?

What do you do on non-training days just the 10g or still 20g?

Billy

I take 10grams at night and 10grams after training. On Non-training days I go with 10grams at night. I can't wait in the morning I need to start on breakfast or I'll never get to work LOL.

BA

Time for breakfast !! after I,ve finished preparing my lunch for the day I,m ready for bed again!

So you take yours b4 bed I can,t do that I always have a shake b4 bed keeps me going otherwise I wake up hungry and have to raid the fridge during the night.

The doses of Glutamine seem to vary greatly really is a case of what suits you and your life style.

billy

You have to compensate for what gets lost in the intestinal track, so bigger dosages are recommend, plus the heavier you are the more you need IMO.

I have a protein about half an hour before bed, I mix the Glutamine ready and down it as I get in bed. Gets the best of both world there.

BA

Now you are confusing me bro

You take a protein shake 1/2 an hour b4 then the Glutamine...right?

Does,nt the protein interfer with the pickup of the Glutamine?

I,m just thinking that if you are to keep Glutamine away from other proteins is,nt that too soon to digest the G ?

Like I said if I,m not sure I ask!!

Billy

30 minutes is long enough, though from when I have the protein, get readt for bed and then down the L-Glutamine is 45minutes which gives the protein a big enough head start.

Any doubt leave it 60 minutes.

John Hodgeson recomends only 15 minutes! And Dorian tells him when to fart LOL.

Big Al

If Dorian told me when to fart I think I would as well LOL

I,ll give it a try and see if it makes any difference

Billy

Gilster is offline Member
    IMO you should be trying to get glutamine peptides. Your stomach steals most of the benefits of L-glutamine. Glutamine peptides are absorbed by your body better. More of it gets into your bloodstream, and you get more results. They also help your body absorb more protein when taken in your protein shake.

The reason you have to take L-glutamine on an empty stomach is because otherwise your stomach lining uses it to help digest nutrients in the stomach. Just my .02

HyperPhreak is offline New Member
    last year, b4 my regional competition, me and my friend went into A nutrition store and asked if they had anything to help with lactic acid, like decrease it. And the lady says yes L-Glutaminewill help with that and she went on about how Amino Acids help with quiker Muscle recovery, and i just wanted to ask yall is any of this true??
    thanks!

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Is glutamine avail at health stores? Where do you get it?

bty
    bty is offline New Member
    My L-Glutamine bottle says to take it an hour before your workout, any thoughts on this? So you all take l-g on an empty stomach? Btw, is it just me or that stuff taste like flour (I use it in water, no fruit for me right now)? Makes creatine taste good .

TTGB, glutamine is available at any supplement store.

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    after my workout i have trac creatine should i add 5 grams to the creatine will that affect the glutamine effects or creatine effecsta at all ..........how long after i take that should i have a protein shgake?

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Hey Billiy Boy,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but glutamine is not an essential amino acid right? And that means that you don't need it to live, correct? and wouldn't that mean that your body does not make it (i.e. take other aminos and convert it to glutamine) which would make supplementation very important for all bodybuilders?

Ray
    Ray is offline Junior Member
    Glutamine isnt an essential amino acid because your body makes it from other essential amino acids but under intense conditions your body doesnt produce enough glutamine to maintain your immune system so it becomes very important to ingest more glutamine a day.

Originally posted by BigGunz

Well put, Ray. Couldn't have said it better.

In other posts on AR, I've tried to reveal some of the benefits of taking glutamine. In heavier doses, the body does not have to waste essential amino acids to produce glutamine, meaning more aminos can be used to build lean, quality muscle.

Likewise, I also mentioned that people with higher metabolisms may need to consume more as their bodies will burn it up faster. Along with this comes those under heavy stress, which will burn up glutamine faster.

I'm uncertain about the difference between glutamine peptides and L-glutamine. I've used them both and both have been effective in making gains.
    What gains do you make from taking Glutamine?It helps preserve muscle tissue but don't expect any increase in muscle size

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by BigGunz

In my own experiment, I took 40 grams of glutamine per day. Within one month, I gained 10 pounds of muscle and gained almost an inch on my arms. I also noticed an increase in strength and endurance.
    WOW. That is the first time that I have heard anything like that about glutamine. Rest assured, when I can bulk, I'm gonna try 40 grams for a month and monitor my progress.

ripped_82 is offline Member
    Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid (protein building block) in the body and is involved in more metabolic processes than any other amino acid. Glutamine is converted to glucose when more glucose is required by the body as an energy source. It serves as a source of fuel for cells lining the intestines. Without it, these cells waste away. It is also used by white blood cells and is important for immune function. In animal research, glutamine has anti-inflammatory effects. Glutamine in combination with N-acetyl cysteine promotes the synthesis of glutathione, a naturally occurring antioxidant that is believed to be protective in people with HIV infection.1 Evidence indicates that intravenous glutamine supplementation increases the survival rate of critically ill people.2

NightOp is offline Member
    okay, the l-glutamine i have says only 500mg should be taken once a day (its in pill form)... now if I choose to stick with plain old l-qlutamine and not mess with the glutamine peptides (which can/should be taken w/protein shake, the peptides that is..) Does that mean I should be popping like 8 of these in one sitting on an empty stomach? that seems like alot, what brand/dosage do yall use when you use l-glutamine in pill form?

If I do opt for the glutamine peptides, how does 10 grams of the peptides, with 5 grams of creatine, 50 grams of simple carbs, and 30 grams of protein an hour before workout........... and then 10 grams again with my prebed time shake/meal... sound?

AR Nutrition is the cheapest peptides I can find, what do yall use?

Ray
    Ray is offline Junior Member
    I would use pure glutamine. Glutamine peptides absorb much better but it is much cheaper just to take more pure glutamine. Capsule form of glutamine is way too expensive you should buy in bulk free form powder. If i were you i would take that post workout. More carbs though like 75-100 for post workout. If your concerned about your carb intake i think itll be best if you just lower it in other meals as post workout is a critical time for your body to store glycogen

NightOp is offline Member
    thanks

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    BUMP

Capital X is offline Associate Member

Take it with a protein shake or not

I am not clear on how you should take Glutamine. I usually mix it into my protein shake but I am getting the feeling that you should take it on its own. Can someone clear this up for me.

Thanks,

Capital X

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    glutamine has change how i've trained, makes running/skiing/lifting on the body easier to do
    peace

Thread Information