Thread: Isolate

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member

Isolate

I understand the whole point of whey isolate is to hit the system quicker due to the lower amount of carbs/fats present....

My question is when taking it after training in dextrose powder for example will this slow down its absorption rather than using normal whey..in other words would it be best to take isolate on its own in water then followed 20min later by dextrose(carb source)

bigrose is offline Associate Member
    no. you can take your dextrose and whey together, there will be no problem. the reason is carbs and protein use different enzymes in your stomach to break down. if you were going to split up your dextrose and whey, take your dextrose immediatly after you train and your isolate like 20-30min later. that will spike your insulin levels and replenish your glycogen stores right away and the isolate will help with muscle recovery. if you have the time, that is the best way, but together immediatly postworkout will be fine. isolate and dextrose are great for postworkout, but you might want to add a little maltodextrin as well, maybe end up with half dextrose half maltodextrin, for a little more sustained insulin release. up to you.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    It won't hurt you at all to take the dex and whey together IMO...

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrose
    no. you can take your dextrose and whey together, there will be no problem. the reason is carbs and protein use different enzymes in your stomach to break down. if you were going to split up your dextrose and whey, take your dextrose immediatly after you train and your isolate like 20-30min later. that will spike your insulin levels and replenish your glycogen stores right away and the isolate will help with muscle recovery. if you have the time, that is the best way, but together immediatly postworkout will be fine. isolate and dextrose are great for postworkout, but you might want to add a little maltodextrin as well, maybe end up with half dextrose half maltodextrin, for a little more sustained insulin release. up to you.

So really theres no point in buying the dear isolate (24g prot, 0.2g carbs 0.1gfat)

compared to normal whey (24gProtein 3g carbs 1.5g fat)

As long as i take with dextrose the absorption will be quickest and malto will slow down even more...Correct me if im wrong?

bigrose is offline Associate Member
    the isolate will absorb quickest, concentrate is a very close second. the monetary difference between the two is not, in my mind, enough to justify the high cost of the isolate. the concentrate will work just fine, unless you are lactose intolerant. that and the fact that some people get gas or bloating from whey concentrate are the main reasons anyone i know buys the isolate.

the maltodextrin will not interfere with the absorption of the protein, regardless of the source, nor will the dextrose. they use different enzymes, and the thing to worry about that slows down overall digestion is fat. the maltodextrin will provide a more sustained release of insulin and help your body stay anabolic and building muscle for a longer period of time than the dextrose. the high insulin spike immediatly postworkout from the dextrose coupled with the sustained release from the maltodextrin works best for me.

Thread Information