edraven29 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up billy boy do you have more info on creatine please one you gave are great

billy boy do you have more info on creatine please one you gave are great

I didnt know that you could take has low has 8 grms a day, if thats the case then i will try it again and take i only in water.

There is a lot of creatine out their so wish one is better????

and when is the best time to take it for max resluts

thanks again

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    OK bro I hope this helps if you need any more info just let me know and I will resource some more for you.

What Is Creatine?

Creatine is not a steroid (although it's effects have been described as "steroid-like"), nor is it a herb, vitamin or mineral. Creatine is a natural nutrient found in the human body and that of most animals. The highest concentrations of creatine are found in skeletal muscle (around 95%), and the remainder in cardiac and smooth muscle, the brain, kidneys and spermatozoa, respectively.
    The average individual gets enough creatine from their diet. However, if dietary intake is insufficient, the human body can synthesize a limited supply of creatine from the three amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine. This occurs in the liver, pancreas and kidneys.

How Does Creatine Work?

When muscles contract, a substance known as adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is the primary energy source used. In simple terms, ATP is broken down to adenosine diphosphate (ADP) by the release of one of its phosphate molecules. However, there is only enough ATP stored to provide energy for about 10 seconds of intense exercise and for muscle contraction to continue longer than this additional ATP must be produced by the body. It is at this point that creatine phosphate plays a critical role.
    Creatine exists in the body primarily in the form of creatine phosphate (two-thirds of total creatine stores), with the remainder as "free" or "chemically unbound" creatine. When all the body's ATP stores are exhausted through intense or strenuous exercise, creatine phosphate can be used to produce more ATP by "lending" a phosphate molecule to ADP to form more ATP, which in turn is used for energy production.

What Is Creatine Monohydrate?

Creatine Monohydrate is a precursor to creatine phosphate, which we now know is used by the body to form ATP. It is a white, colourless, odorless crystalline material which dissolves easily in water.
    Supplementation with creatine monohydrate appears to work in several ways. Firstly, it can maximise the stores of creatine phosphate in the body and therefore allow more muscle contraction to occur as a result of greater stored energy reserves available for use to form ATP. As such, supplementation with creatine monohydrate has been one of the most talked about topics among the sporting fraternity for many years now. The benefits of supplementation have even been likened to using anabolic steroids . Secondly, it has a major role to play in "cell volumisation" or increasing cellular fluid (water) retention in skeletal muscle. This can significantly increase the leverage a muscle has by requiring it to move less, thus a heavier weight can be lifted. This is also thought to be one way in which anabolic steroids work and it is for that reason that the effects of creatine supplemention are often referred to as "steroid-like".

Which Creatine Monohydrate Is The Best?

There are two main producers of quality creatine monohydate worldwide. They are Pfanstiehl Laboratories Inc. in the United States and SKW Trostberg in Germany. Both Pfanstiehl and SKW Trostberg share a joint patent (#5719319), for the manufacture of creatine. Both companies have their own quality assurance labels: Pfanstiehl uses the "Pfanstiehl Quality" logo while SKW in Germany use the "Creapure" logo. Both companies produce creatine which is consistently of the highest quality available. The reason for the introduction of these "quality assurance logos" is that substantial quantities of low grade Chinese creatine is now marketed worldwide, usually through American distributors and then sold as "American Creatine."
    Both Pfanstiehl and SKW provide HPLC test results on each batch of creatine produced. We are not aware of any Chinese manufacturers who do this. This guarantees that creatine which bears either the "Pfanstiehl Quality" or "Creapure" quality logos is pure and free of potentially dangerous chemical impurities such as dicyandiamide (a derivative of one of the starting chemicals used in creatine production) and dihydrotriazine (a by-product of non-optimised creatine production).

How Should I Use Creatine Monohydrate?

One of the most respected researchers into the use of creatine monohydrate supplementation is Dr. Michael Colgan. The following dosages are suggested:

Loading phase - Day 1 take 30 grams per day divided into six servings of five grams.
    Day 2 - Day 7 take 15 grams divided into three servings of five grams with dextrose (increase to 20 grams per day if bodyweight over 90kg).
    Maintenance phase - Day 8 onwards take a daily dose of five grams per day. The suggested cycle is 6-8 weeks on with 4-6 weeks off before beginning the cycle again.

Important Points To Remember:
    Creatine monohydrate (creatine) should not be taken with fruit juices, as these can neutralise the activity of creatine turning it into the waste product known as creatinine. It is far better to dissolve creatine in water and take with dextrose or glucose, which helps provide an "insulin -spike" to aid in the absorbtion of the creatine. Consuming caffeine and creatine may be disadvantageous, as creatine has a water retaining action while caffeine has the opposite effect. One may negate the other, or certainly taking caffeine with creatine may reduce the benefit of your creatine supplementation programme.
    It is essential that you drink adequate water (at least 8 glasses a day) while supplementing with creatine, to avoid dehydration and to allow the kidneys to process waste products properly. While there is little no evidence to suggest that damage is done to the kidneys at recommended dosages, there is some anectdotal evidence that damage may occur at very high levels of use for prolonged periods of time.

Scientific References:
    Balsom, P.D., et al. Skeletal muscle metabolism during short duration high-intensity exercise: influence of creatine supplementation. Acta-Physiol-Scand. (1995) July; 154(3): 303-310.
    Balsom, P.D., et al. Creatine in humans with special reference to creatine supplementation. Sports-Med. (1994) Oct; 18(4): 268-280.
    Birch, R., et al. The influence of dietary creatine supplementation on performance during repeated bouts of maximal isokinetic cycling in man. European Journal of Applied Physiology (1994) 69(3): 268-276.
    Cooke, W.H., et al. Effect of oral creatine supplementation on power output and fatigue during bicycle ergometry. Journal of Apllied Physiology (1995) Feb; 78(2); 670-673.
    Dept. Physical Education, Illinois University. International Journal Sports Nutrition (1997): 185-196, Joel Mitchell, Daniel Cavender.
    Greenhaff, P.L., et al. Influence of oral creatine supplementation of muscle torque during repeated bouts of maximal voluntary exercise in man. Clinical Science (1993) 84; 565-571.
    Greenhaff, P.L., et al. Effect of oral creatine supplementation on skeletal muscle phosphocreatine resynthesis. American Journal of Physiology (1994) May; 266 (5 Pt 1): E725-730.
    Greenhaff, P.L., Creatine and its application as an ergogenic aid. International Journal of Sport Nutrition (1995) 5:S100-110.
    Harris, R.C., et al. Elevation of creatine in resting and exercised muscle of normal subjects by creatine supplementation. Clinical Science (1992) 83: 367-374.
    Maughan, R.J. Creatine supplementation and exercise performance. International Journal of Sport Nutrition (1995) Jun; 5(2): 94-101.
    Stroud, M.A., et al. Effect of oral creatine supplementation on respiratory gas exchange and blood lactate accumulation during steady-state incremental treadmill exercise and recovery in man. Clinical Science Colch. (1994) Dec; 87(6): 707-710.
    Walker, J.B. Creatine: Biosynthesis, regulation and function. Advances in Enzymology and Related Areas of Molecular Biology (1979) 50: 177-242.

Billy

I forgot I take mine 1/2 hr b4 I train seems the ideal time to take it as that is when you need it most.

Billy

Thumbs up WoW thanks

Ok so i wouldnt need to load then i could just take 5 grms before i train and maybe 5 after ????

I never load at all I used to but don,t bother now.That is what works for me best.I never use more than 5g but if you find that 5g b4 and 5g post works for you go for it.BB really is a case of trial and error once you find what works for you stick with it.

Billy

Thumbs up you mean 5 g is enought

5g before training would be enough,??? have you gained good gains with that???

Guess you mix it with glutamine before training?

I mix both together and have noo probs with this at all.

I have used 5g of Creatine and find this is enough please remember that your body does create this anyway you are just topping it up.Also at this lower dose I don,t tend to cycle that often I may take the odd week out here and there but I can,t see the point in stopping then going through a loading phase every 8 weeks!

5g gives me less water retention and as for weight gain I guess I have leveled out through the usage of it .Try 5g if you feel this is not enough try 10g.I really can,t say anymore than that.

Billy

Thread Information