Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member

When do I take Glutamine?

Is there a preferred time to take Glutamine?

Is there a time not to take it too like around PWO?

BTW, I'm currently in the middle of a cutting cycle.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    pwo with your whey you should take it

tinyguy2 is offline Member
    glutamine doesnt do sh!t in my opinion. from what i have read its a waste plus your whey might already have glutamine in it so what is the point?

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyguy2
    glutamine doesnt do sh!t in my opinion. from what i have read its a waste plus your whey might already have glutamine in it so what is the point?
    Agreed

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont see the validity of this point. You whey has a HOST of amino-acids. It doesnt mean its pointless to supplement with more. Your whey has BCAA's but is it pointless to use more PWO...HELL NO. Food has creatine in it so you shouldnt take more?
    They are called supplements for a reason. You are supplementing your diet with extra for the benefit they offer.
    Whey is also a supplement, your food has protein so why take whey? I mean I could very well say this to anyone who takes whey then?

Sure there is evidence that micornized glutamine isnt that great but Im just trying to show that your other reason is a little shakey.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    I dont see the validity of this point. You whey has a HOST of amino-acids. It doesnt mean its pointless to supplement with more. Your whey has BCAA's but is it pointless to use more PWO...HELL NO. Food has creatine in it so you shouldnt take more?
    They are called supplements for a reason. You are supplementing your diet with extra for the benefit they offer.
    Whey is also a supplement, your food has protein so why take whey? I mean I could very well say this to anyone who takes whey then?

Sure there is evidence that micornized glutamine isnt that great but Im just trying to show that your other reason is a little shakey.

I am getting ready for AM cardio now, i dropped 5g of Glutamine for the hell of it. Just a supplement guys, not a crutch. I still gotta go do my thing, and when i do my thing my thing will be done. Lata

Another One Bites the Dust

You may recall that the theory of exercise induced immunosuppression is often cited, based on the fact that glutamine levels decrease after exercise, as does our immunity.(10)

What we must now address is whether the relationship between the body’s glutamine stores and the effects of exercise on the immune system exhibit a causal or coincidental relationship (just as we did for protein synthesis). A recent review article in "The Journal of Applied Physiology" examined this connection between plasma glutamine and exercise-induced immunosuppression.(15)

The study admitted that there are conflicting reports about plasma glutamine levels following long duration exercise, repeated high intensity bouts, as well as short single high intensity bouts. This indicates that plasma glutamine concentrations may be affected differently depending on the intensity and duration of exercise.

Even data on blood glutamine concentrations following eccentric exercise is mixed, which can relate directly to bodybuilders and their use of heavy loads. Based on the relatively small reductions in plasma glutamine that might occur following exercise, supplementation with glutamine wouldn’t likely affect the immune cells.

More importantly, there are several studies showing that glutamine supplementation doesn't alter exercise-induced suppression of the immune system! The bottom line is that blood glutamine levels, whether they drop or not following exercise, don’t seem to affect immunity to any great extent, which precludes the use of glutamine for this reason.

Another recent review looked at over 75 research papers pertaining to the effect of glutamine on immunity and muscle growth, and came to the following conclusion: "Overall, although glutamine obviously plays important metabolic roles within the body, supplementation does not appear to provide consistent beneficial or therapeutic effects, except during certain catabolic situations. Glutamine availability, therefore, does not seem to be a limitation in many challenge situations."(19)

What about the glycogen?!

Yep, we have one final theory to validate spending God-awful amounts of money on glutamine; that of enhanced glycogen resynthesis following our workouts. In addition to the aforementioned studies showing better glycogen storage, there is also a study showing no effect of oral glutamine on glycogen regeneration following high intensity interval training.(26)

This issue was actually addressed by the authors of the Candow study, who found no strength or mass changes in trained individuals using glutamine (versus a placebo).(7) They suggested that the studies done showing enhanced glycogen recovery used exercise bouts which depleted intramuscular glycogen by 90%(!), while resistance exercise only depletes muscular glycogen by ~36%.

The bottom line is that the jury is still out on glutamine enhancing glycogen resynthesis following resistance exercise, but it seems unlikely that it would have any effect. Toss in the huge amounts of high glycemic carbs that most of us use following our workouts, and it’s almost a sure bet that glutamine won’t do anything for additional glycogen storage under normal dietary situations.

Things That Mom Never Told You About Glutamine Supplementation

It’s important to examine the method used for getting glutamine into the body in the human studies presented. Unfortunately, getting glutamine into our blood and to our muscles is a lot harder than one may expect. It was mentioned earlier that many cells of the body use glutamine for fuel. Well one area of cells that just loves glutamine is the gastrointestinal tract. In fact, it can account for up to 40% of glutamine utilization in the body! Now figure out the first area to come into contact with our "wonder supplement," and you can see that you have to take a whole crap-load of the stuff all at once, just so our gut doesn’t use it all!

Now, dumping 20g of one amino acid into our bodies at once may sound fun to some, but then again we can safely call these people masochists. For the rest of us, this huge glutamine dump may lead to some GI distress, which we all know is NOT fun.

Fortunately, the two studies performed with bodybuilders using relatively high dosages of glutamine (0.3g/kg/d and 0.9g/kg lean mass/d) reported no side effects of any kind.(2, 7) What is unfortunate is that the authors of these studies also showed no positive effect of any kind!

Glutamine and Resistance Trained Athletes: The Studies

One recent study examined the effect of acute glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance.(2) This study examined the potential buffering effect of glutamine on lactic acid production during resistance exercise (to the point of momentary muscular failure).

One hour following glutamine ingestion (0.3g/kg), glycine ingestion (0.3g/kg), or placebo drink ingestion, the trained subjects performed 2 sets each of leg press (@ 200% body weight) and bench press (@ 100% body weight). This would equate to an average of ~23g of either amino acid ingested all at once, but there were no reports of GI discomfort.

Each subject consumed one of the three supplements before three separate testing sessions separated by a week. There was no effect of glutamine on number of reps performed compared to glycine or placebo ingestion. These results indicate that a high dose of glutamine ingested before exercise has no positive or negative effects on weightlifting performance in trained subjects.

If you’re interested in glutamine for its effect on muscle mass and strength, you’re in luck because a study was done on that, too! This next study is undoubtedly one of the best kept secrets in bodybuilding! In this study, the trained subjects consumed either 0.9g/kg lean body mass/day (average of 45g/day!), or a placebo, in 2 divided doses.(7)

It's noteworthy that using this amount of glutamine would run over 1200$USD per year for a 200lb guy!

By the end of the 6-week period, there were no differences in terms of 1Rep Max on squat or bench between the groups. There were also no differences between groups when it came to the gains in lean body mass (i.e. the amount of muscle they put on) during the trial period. This study was well designed and used the highest amount of glutamine ever studied for these purposes.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    Is there a preferred time to take Glutamine?

Is there a time not to take it too like around PWO?

BTW, I'm currently in the middle of a cutting cycle.
    Read this:

Idle thoughts by Pinnacle

M.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Congratulations you know how to copy and paste. Should I give you an award now? I can easily find a study to go against that as anyone can find almost any study these days to prove what they want. Truth is its not personal experience which it seems like you have very little of considering all of your jackass posts around this site.

Oh and thanks for the study, I will never take glutamine again now because it doesnt increase my max bench. Ya as if anyone here is taking it for that purpose anyways. Pretty shit ass study to back your thoughts if you ask me.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Glutamine only helped me sleep a lil better. That worth 34 bucks a month? I dunno..........

Mizfit is offline Banned
    This tiny guy is getting on my last nerve - I think he drinks way too much alcohol before posting and just talks crap - every single post he makes.. is negative.

Anyhow.. glutamine is a supplement and as with all suuplements it is open to debate. I take it after my work out in my shake.

i wrote an opinion and backed it up with science. read what i wrote i said in my opinion i dont think glutamine does anything. isnt that what this forum is about. stop using one thread i wrote where i called somebodies gut hot agnist me it has nothing to do with this topic.

a lot of posts i write are negative because i don't trust supplement companies because they are all trying to make a buck and nothing is monitored. 'm giving my opinion sorry i dont belive everything i read.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    a lot of posts i write are negative because i don't trust supplement companies because they are all trying to make a buck and nothing is monitored. 'm giving my opinion sorry i dont belive everything i read.
    I am not refering to your comments on supplements only - your comments in another forum were negative aswell and had nothing to do with supplements.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    a lot of posts i write are negative because i don't trust supplement companies because they are all trying to make a buck and nothing is monitored. 'm giving my opinion sorry i don't believe everything i read.

Skepticism is expected but not to the point where you are not open minded.

Some supplements do assist in muscle development.

I suggest that you be more open, you just might learn something around here.

Anyways, thanks for the input everyone.

actaully im going to try out cee and see if it works any better than my creatine monohydrate and im going to start taking bcaa's and see if those do anything. and amp also casue i heard that stuff is awesome

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    i wrote an opinion and backed it up with science. read what i wrote i said in my opinion i dont think glutamine does anything. isnt that what this forum is about. stop using one thread i wrote where i called somebodies gut hot agnist me it has nothing to do with this topic.
    That't HOT.

Glutamine has no noticable effects on me, but it could be what it prevents not what it does(Ironic this statement though)

Like Vitamins, Vitamin e for example, they don't make you lift more or anything but they protect you in many ways, although Im skeptical because alot of these studies were done on IV glutamine I think a cheap but good plain glutamine powder might be a good idea to invest in, If I miss it when I do my online ordering every 1-3 months I dont sweat it, but nice to know you have another something that helps.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    That't HOT.

Glutamine has no noticable effects on me, but it could be what it prevents not what it does(Ironic this statement though)

Like Vitamins, Vitamin e for example, they don't make you lift more or anything but they protect you in many ways, although Im skeptical because alot of these studies were done on IV glutamine I think a cheap but good plain glutamine powder might be a good idea to invest in, If I miss it when I do my online ordering every 1-3 months I dont sweat it, but nice to know you have another something that helps.

rationale

did your response have anything to do with what we are taking about so acctually your wrong also. sorry im negative.

Thread Information