bmfwalton is offline New Member

Is Protein Hurting me??

Everytime I am making my protein shakes I always have to hear my mom tell me my liver or kidneys or going to give out because I drink so much protein. There was a friend of the family who drank protein drinks and had both kidneys fail. I think being over weight, a smoker, and high blood pressure didn't help much either! So is taking higher amounts of protein in the long run hurting me or not? I would like to be able to finally prove my mom wrong or avoid her because I know she's right! Thanks.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    No way, you ever heard of anybody dying of protein? Tell her this, Proteins are a source of heat and energy to the body. They are essential for growth, the building of new tissue and the repair of injured or broken down tissue. Bodybuilders and weightlifters need protein to grow, to stay strong.

tryingtogain is offline Member
    lol my mom says that to

reli is offline Junior Member
    well its not likely but if you take a lot of the syntetic stuff over the years u may develop kidney stones

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Protein can be stressful on the kidneys at extremely high amounts for prolonged periods of time. As long as your drinking enough water to make your pee clear(1-2gal. a day) you should be fine.
    I back my protein down to 150-200g for a day once a week for assurance but I would not worry if I were you.

Originally posted by titanstigers333
    No way, you ever heard of anybody dying of protein? Tell her this, Proteins are a source of heat and energy to the body. They are essential for growth, the building of new tissue and the repair of injured or broken down tissue. Bodybuilders and weightlifters need protein to grow, to stay strong.
    well said bro

TheGame826 is offline Member
    lol... some times parets are uneducated. my mom used to yell at me for eating to many eggs saying it will higher my collestoral to much.

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    walton, your mom was right about 10 years ago, they used to say that it could be bad on the kidneys, but look at what they say today, more the better. If you drink your water every day, you will be fine..Rule of thumb, make sure your pee is clear.

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    It is my understanding that the opinion was based on study results showing participants who consumed a certain amount of protein had abnormal levels of protein spillover into the urine. What must be remembered is that this study was done on diabetics. The real problem was related to high blood glucose levels causing proteins to become surrounded by glucose molecules.(glycosylation) This causes abnormal protein spillover into the urine. Normally, blood proteins are repelled by the kidney's pores and dont spill over into the urine.

When the same tests are performed on subjects with normal blood glucose levels, there is no change in kidney filtration rates.

Thread Information