chaznad is offline Junior Member

Whats the deal with the 1000 calorie XL drink sold at GNC?

50 grams of protein, 220 carbs 0 fat

isnt that overkill

ACE5HIGH is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznad
    50 grams of protein, 220 carbs 0 fat

isnt that overkill
    It would depend on your goals... a lean 220lb guy trying to bulk could sure use it.

im a lean 235 pound guy needing to hit 250 ,,,, recommended post workout,, a meal replacement,, split in 2 ????

Quote Originally Posted by chaznad
    im a lean 235 pound guy needing to hit 250 ,,,, recommended post workout,, a meal replacement,, split in 2 ????
    How is the rest of your diet though? overall diet is the key... my suggestion would be to post your exact
    diet/goals/training routine in the diet forum and have some guys critique it there
    You should be able to get lots of good advice on how to reach your goals.
    As far as the weight gainer goes, once the rest of your diet is in check you can use it to help get your cals up by either supplementing it between meals or just right after your workout

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Chaz,

Those 1000 cal shakes are Shi*t real food is the way to go.

guyz my diet is fine, and i have 10 years lifting experience ,im 6'4 ,26,, but in order to maintain current weight my body requires 4500 calories /day ( calculated w/ bodybug), i have a superhigh metabolism ,it can be over whelming sometimes getting all that especially working 10hour days , so i figured the drink would give me a little help

so im very aware real food is the preferred option ,but on certain occasions when i cant eat , i want to know if i drink this stuff , am i really getting 1000 calories or does it not absorb

rafael is offline Associate Member
    real food is the best way imo...we werent designed physichally to live off protein shakes lol....shoot...if i dont get real food in me...i get soooo damn cold and i get shakes and chills. damn fast metabolism

Truth is real food is the way to go man, period. If you dont want to hear it then take the shakes instead.

Let me put it this way, if it is between no food or a shake, drink up.
    1000 cals a shake yeah maybe... but those cals are not gonna be equal to 1000 cals of steak and oats.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    its a bucket of sugar. So if you want to drink sugar go ahead, if not and you actually want to gain muscle eat food.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    Chaz,

Those 1000 cal shakes are Shi*t real food is the way to go.

Word!
    ***No source checks!!!***

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    Those XXL drinks are basically just a decent serving of whey protein blended into a bottle of high-calorie corn-syrup (sugar).

The only use I could imagine for such a drink would be as a post-workout meal, when you want to spike insulin levels to help absorbtion of protein into your muscles. It would be better, though, to make your own p.w.o. shake with your favorite whey protein and a few scoops of dextrose sugar. This mixure is the basic composition of "Celltech", only much cheaper.

-BigLittleTim

the deal is it's BULLSHIT

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Well, yes, that too.

-BigLittleTim

Kuzin Tarell is offline Associate Member
    if you want a good weight gainer, check out ON Pro complex Lean Gainer. 85 grams of complex carbs and only 7 grams of sugar. chocolate taste great!

Kuzin Tarell is offline Associate Member
    its only 620 cals per shake too....

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    everybody saying "real food this , real food that" is so much better IMO is kind of wrong.. yes it maybe be OPTIMAL, but shakes are a big part of my diet due to my schedule.. I bulk and cut as I need with GREAT success.. Also if you remember swolecat shakes were a HUGE part of his diet and his body speaks for itself.. TO ME shakes are just as important as food and if your busy and cant eat a shake will be just fine.. add some oats, or have a handful of almonds depending which meal it is.. for me i know what works and im sticking to it.. try everything for yourself to see first

rubix6 is offline Female Member
    wow... sounds kinda crazy to me

Crest is offline Senior Member
    i know the feelin i go 2 uni and work part time, but lots of hours so having the same shedule for each day is pretty tough, the only real set meal times i can have are breakfast and late evening about 9ish so throughout the day is abit hit and miss (although i always manage to get my eating in) protien shakes are pretty important to me as they take 2 mins to knock up and you can get them down before and after the gym pretty easily... although averything else i eat always contains enough carbs and as much protien as i can get i gotta keep an eye on the calories to make sure im gettin the right amount

stlhrse is offline Junior Member
    What about for someone like me trying to lose weight and lean down, would this type of "empty calorie" shake with lots of protien be good for me?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by stlhrse
    What about for someone like me trying to lose weight and lean down, would this type of "empty calorie" shake with lots of protien be good for me?
    no, how would drinking sugar be beneficial to anyone?? Especially those trying to lose weight. And to those who are complaining about a busy schedule, yeah me too. You are being lazy and cheating yourself by not bothering to cook. Drinking sugar is NOT the way to go.

stlhrse is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, I'm still trying to understand how all of this stuff works together

Thread Information