asvt is offline Junior Member

Dextrose and maltodextrin

What exactly is maltodextrin I read that it has a high GI but is considered a complex carohydrate. I'm going to start taking dextrose or maltodextrin after my workout for an insulin spike but which one is better and how much should I take?

Stats
    145lbs
    11% BF
    Last edited by asvt; 03-22-2007 at 11:31 AM.

IronAdam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asvt
    What exactly is maltodextrin I read that it has a high GI but is considered a complex carohydrate. I going to start taking dextrose or maltodextrin after my workout for an insulin spike but which one is better and how much should I take?

Stats
    145lbs
    11% BF
    Dextrose is simply corn surgar, the most easily digested form of carbs (monosacharide). Maltodextrine is also a corn sugar but has a lower GI than dextrose (polysacharide)(close to sucrose actually) and is primarily used for pre work out carb loading, although it can also be used in a PWO shake as well. I prefer using dex for PWO as it tastes much better (malto doesn't really have a taste). I don't need malto pre WO because I get enough carbs from food earlier in the day. Some also mix their PWO carbs as half dex half malto. Try them both and see what works best for you.
    Last edited by IronAdam; 03-22-2007 at 10:30 AM.

GrowingMuscle is offline Junior Member
    That is old news. Many bb's are taking powered oats or bananas with there shakes pwo. Taking 60 grams of pure refined sugar in one drink is unhealthy and not scientifically proven to build muscle any more then taking in quality carbs after workout.

The Magazines and crap may tell you to drink 60+ grams of pure refined sugar but common sense should tell you otherwise.

I must add that dextrose has been shown to increase creatine uptake. Not worth weakening you receptors IMO.

Theres definately no substitute for quality carbs from real foods, but dex and malto do have their place. Like whey protein (inferior to real food) which is super convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam
    Theres definately no substitute for quality carbs from real foods, but dex and malto do have their place. Like whey protein (inferior to real food) which is super convenient.
    In soda

or if a diabetic is having a attack from low blood sugar.

Whey has been proven to increase muscle growth before and after WO and to be overall healthy. Any doctor would tell you that 60+ grams of pure refined sugar in one drink, practiced religiously is unhealthy. Your analogy logically just doesn’t work.

The problem is that if you are spiking your insulin all the time with dex/malto you decrease your insulin sensitivity. Now when you eat oats and quality carbs you won’t get as much benefit, which in turn will overall lessen you highest potential for muscle growth.

Dex/malto will increase creatine uptake but at what risk. IMO it is not worth it.
    Last edited by GrowingMuscle; 03-22-2007 at 12:31 PM.

I think everybody should consider switching from Dex/malto to powdered oats. I believe you will have better results and you will feel a lot better after the shake, unless you enjoy the sugar high and crash.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingMuscle
    I think everybody should consider switching from Dex/malto to powdered oats. I believe you will have better results and you will feel a lot better after the shake, unless you enjoy the sugar high and crash.
    Did you read what I wrote? I'm agreeing with you for the most part. Like I said in my first post, I do get most of my carbs from food (powdered oats in fact). And I haven't used dextrose PWO for a very long time. Whether you use it or not is personal preference. I did the dex pwo thing for a long time, as have lots of others on this board. I never noticed any ill effects.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingMuscle
    Your analogy logically just doesn’t work.
    I thought it worked just fine, maybe you didn't understand it?

Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam
    Did you read what I wrote? I'm agreeing with you for the most part. Like I said in my first post, I do get most of my carbs from food (powdered oats in fact). And I haven't used dextrose PWO for a very long time. Whether you use it or not is personal preference. I did the dex pwo thing for a long time, as have lots of others on this board. I never noticed any ill effects.
    Right on, cool

asvt is offline Junior Member
    For my post workout meal I have 2 1/2 scoops protein (47g) and will do 50g dextrose I usually have WW pasta aswell. Can I eat the pasta at the same time or should I wait 30mins before eating to allow the dextrose to do it's thing.

I'd wait 30-40 minutes after the pwo shake to eat your PPWO meal. You need to give the whey time to digest before you shovel down more protein.

Thread Information