gotjuice? is offline Associate Member

maltodextrose question

i have been using a carb powder mixed with my protein shake. its called Pro Carb, it says 100% complex carbohydrate. on the back it says maltodextrin. are these the same?? can i use these as part of my protein/carb shake in the morning?? are they the same as oats??....thanks for the help(in advance)..

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    Shows how much research you done... Yes, maltodextrin and complex carbs are the same thing and can be used in a shake in the morning. I don't know why since you want to get most of your carbs PWO. Maltodextrin and oats have high GI. so they are good.

ryan26 is offline Junior Member
    Yes, maltodextrin and complex carbs are the same. Maltodextrin has a high glycemic index but it won't give you an insulin spike so it's alright to take it in the morning, especially if you need the extra calories. (Don't take it during breakfast if you have no problem gaining weight) Oats on the other hand have a low GI so it's perfect for breakfast and good for anytime of the day except before bed. You should get some dextrose to go with your maltodextrin, mix it 50/50 and only drink it after you workout in order to spike your insulin.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSFootball
    Shows how much research you done... Yes, maltodextrin and complex carbs are the same thing and can be used in a shake in the morning. I don't know why since you want to get most of your carbs PWO. Maltodextrin and oats have high GI. so they are good.

I couldnt of said it better, BTW Ive put this in the hall of shame for you,

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Maltodextrin is a sweat, easily digested carbohydrate made from cornstarch. The starch is cooked, and then acid and/or enzymes (a process similar to that used by the body to digest carbohydrates) are used to break the starch into smaller chains (3-20 chains in maltodextrin). These chains are composed of several dextrose molecules held together by very weak hydrogen bonds.

To clarify, carbohydrates are molecules of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen produced by plants through photosynthesis. The term saccharide is a synonym for carbohydrate; a monosaccharide (mono=1) is the fundamental unit of carbohydrates. Disaccharides (Di=2) are molecules containing 2 monosaccharide units. Di and monosaccharides are also known as sugars, simple sugars, or simple carbohydrates. Next are oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides. Oligosaccharides are made of 3-9 monosaccharide links. Polysaccharides consist of 10 to thousands of monosaccharide links. A complex carbohydrate refers to many monosaccharide units linked together. In addition, you will often hear the terms “long”, and “short” carbohydrate chains. Short carbohydrate chains are those under 10 sugar molecules. And long chains are those over 10 sugar molecules. Which fits in conjunction with the above terms, Oligosaccharides and Polysaccharides.

Dextrose is labeled a simple carbohydrate and Maltodextrin complex. And now this should make perfect sense. But don’t be fooled by the word, “complex.” The bonds that compose maltodextrin are very weak, and readily broken apart in your stomach; moreover, the chain is extremely minimal in composition. The weak bonds, and fragile composition of maltodextrin cause it to be digested a fraction slower than dextrose. Why this is so and what exactly hydrogen bonds are will be assessed subsequently.

Basically Maltodextrin and Dextrose are the same........

What is the GI Index for Maltodextrin?

SUGARS
    Honey 83
    Fructose 32
    Glucose 137
    Glucose tablets 146
    Maltose 150
    Sucrose 92
    Lactose 65
    High fructose corn syrup 89
    Maltodextrin 137

Ok how bout oatmeal?