Tommy Gunn is offline Member

When you have to take a pill with food, can you take it with a protein shake?

I sent this question as a PM to a good buddy of mine, but I figured you guys could help me as well:

This may seem like a stupid question but please bare with me. When you have to take any pill that requires taking it with food...can you take it with a protein shake? Is a protein shake considered food? Or when they (doctors, rx labels, etc.) say 'food' they mean solid food and not a liquid (like a shake).

For example, whenever you take motrin, you're supposed to take it with food. I think because it has to be absorbed with something. Well can you drink a protein shake and than take a motrin? Or do you have to take the motrin with a actual solid food?

Another example, my Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM bottle says take 3 pills a day, spread out during the day, WITH FOOD, 1 for breakfast, 1 at dinner, and 1 before you go to bed. Well before I go to bed each night I have a slow time released protein shake with 1 tbsp of flax oil. That's all I have. Is that considered food or does that label mean I should take the pill with ACTUAL solid food?

I'm asking this question because I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the pill and also to avoid any stomach problems that may occur from NOT taking the pill with SOLID FOOD.

gigem is offline Banned
    i would think if your protein shake was made with milk and not water it should be fine but thats just my opinion

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    yeah youll be fine

Sheridan is offline Junior Member
    ya all u need is something in your stomach

perfect_illusion is offline Junior Member
    try even a cracker im serious u just need a little in there.

Thread Information