SNUKA is offline Member

multivitamins beware

I saw this on Aol news today.

Ideally, humans would eat only wholly nutritious real foods rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. The fact is, most of us do not meet all our nutritional needs through food, so we rely on multivitamins and supplements to achieve more complete nutrition. The problem is that it's just not that simple.

Question: Did you know that vitamins, minerals and nutritional supplements produced and distributed in the U.S. are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration and that some multis don't actually contain what is on the label?

While it's not an overwhelming problem, it's still something to take into consideration as these 11 multivitamins were flagged for problems, and you may be (or may have been) taking them.

Health magazine gives us a breakdown of which multis to avoid and why.
    For Adults

Eniva VIBE, a liquid sold in packets -- falls short of listed vitamin A
    Healthy Moments Mint Cream Flavor Vitamin Strips -- contains no vitamin A and exceeds listed amount of niacin
    Swanson Daily Multivitamin & Mineral -- short of listed folate
    The Greatest Vitamin in the World -- short of listed folate
    Weil, Andrew Weil, M.D., Daily Multivitamin for Optimum Health -- short of listed vitamin A and exceeds the amount of calcium
    For Women

Nature's Plus Especially Yours Women's Multivitamin -- doesn't disintegrate properly and exceeds listed calcium
    The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for Women -- contaminated with 15.3 micrograms of lead per serving -- 10 times amount permitted without a warning label in California -- and short of listed calcium
    For Men

Now Adam Superior Men's Multi -- takes too long to disintegrate
    Win Fuel Men's Formula -- short of listed vitamin A and folate
    For Seniors

AARP Maturity Formula -- takes too long to disintegrate
    For Kids

Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears -- contains twice as much Vitamin A as listed, which may lead to weak bones
    After these findings were published, The Vitamin Shoppe and AARP voluntarily withdrew their products and HERO Nutritionals began offering consumers a replacement.

For more recalls and warnings (on other health, wellness, and nutrition products), visit ConsumerLabs.com.

look at the vitamin shoppe womens multi containing all that lead.

SwiftMove83 is offline Associate Member
    I'm also really curious about what others think on this.
    Of course you will have the bad multi brands out there, and they are all not going to digest 100% perfect.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Did it say anything about centrum or GNC's megamen? just curious

thanx for the info

cheers

newbster is offline New Member
    AST kicks ass though

jon77 is offline Banned
    Centrum Performance

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    Did it say anything about centrum or GNC's megamen? just curious

thanx for the info

cheers

MEGAMAN kicks ass as far as I'm concerned...only dang thing I would buy at GNC though

Luuke is offline Junior Member
    I take Centrum also! Wonder how that did??

B.E.N. is offline Member
    The article is not entirely accurate. A little over a month ago the FDA announced new manufacturing guidlines for dietary supplements. The new rule requires dietary supplement makers to follow procedures to ensure that their products contain the type and amount of ingredients on the label.

The new guideline goes into effect this week but gives allows a phase in period for supplement companies. All companies are supposed to meet standards by the summer of 2008.

This does not ensure that the products work or that they are safe. So you will still see the labels saying "these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration."

Guess we will have to wait and see how hard the FDA enforces this new guideline.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    I like Solgar's daily vit

I take the NOW Adams multi...

weeman001 is offline Associate Member

im sticking with animal pack!

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman001
    im sticking with animal pack!

Man i have a container minus 2 doses if you want i'll give 'em to ya for free.... just pay for shipping and they are yours.... YUCK!

Animal pack is alot of pills.. I think i would be too full to eat the rest of the day after a serving of that.

peterbondra is offline Junior Member
    FDA = Bunch of corrupt government beaurocrats who really dont know anything.

I really have little confidence in them providing any value or assurance that my vitamins will be as stated.

Buyer should always beware and go with reputable brands and companies who have a proven track record. They shouldn't rely on corrupt regulators to show them the light.

Billmister is offline Member
    <-- Animal Pak

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i love animal pak

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i love animal pak

m8intl is offline Associate Member
    This isn't the first time I've heard a story about vitamins containing large amounts of lead. Personally, I'll stick to real foods and supplement with vitamins occasionally. Also, most multis contain large doses of copper. Studies have linked high copper intake with Alzheimers.
    Last edited by m8intl; 08-21-2007 at 02:24 PM.

bcaasdirty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon77
    Centrum Performance
    i <3 your avatar

generic brand multi's FTW

newahnald is offline New Member
    Multivitamins are one of the most lucrative and widely used supplements today. You know "those" kind of people that are scared of supplements even though they do not know anything about them? Well these same people often still take multivitamins. Doctors are even recomending them now a days. My friend went to thedoctor for a checkup and the first thing the Doctor asked her "What kind of Multivitamin are you taking?" I think taking a multi is very beneficial and necesary for those seeking optimum health and especially important for those that are athletes or live active lifestyles.
    I personally take GNC Mega Men SPORT and I love it. lol...it is the only thing I'LL buy from GNC as well.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Anyone have any idea why Centrum does not have a time release multivitamin?

I have read that multivitamins are not always absorded like other medicines and time release multis may or may not be effective. But still you would thing Wyeth would put one out. Maybe Wyeth knows something about time release mutlis????

Thread Information