Billytk03z is offline Member

Skeptical about protein powders??????

Has anyone often wondered if the protein count listed on your protein powders are accurate????

I use optimum nutritions's 100% whey and its listed as having 24gms of protein per serving/scoop... but I use at least 3 scoops for my shakes cuz for some reason I dont feel that there actually is 24gms of protein per serving/scoop..

does anyone have concerns or insights to this?

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Who knows when it comes to dealing with supplement companies. I use BSN Truemass and each 3 scoop serving is 66g of protein. It's my fav and I hope it has that much in it, either way the taste of vanilla is the best.

This should be in the supplement forum.

fatrock is offline Member
    I use the 10 lb bag of ON from Allsports Nutrition.com and havent ever questioned it. It is a Solid whey Product.

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    wrong forum bro's move to sups

briancb1 is offline Member
    So let me get this strait.

You don't FEEL there is 24 grams of protein, right? How many grams do you feel is in there lol!

Billytk03z is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briancb1

You don't FEEL there is 24 grams of protein, right? How many grams do you feel is in there lol!

dont know?

that is why I triple scoop it.......

I hate to bust my ass hard in the gym and then under supplement myself during the the golden 30min window after the workout.....

jon77 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic
    I use BSN Truemass
    Me too...

buffgator is offline king of mass
    Ask tai, protein supplements where spawned in the very depths of hell.

jojo2002 is offline Associate Member
    I normally go by gas... if i have a lot of gas than i know my shake had some good protien... but i do take BSN True mass... Good stuff about 700 calories a shake... Feels me up pretty good..

ZiOh6 is offline Junior Member
    ISOPURE here. yum yum. as far as my protein count, I try to get most of my protein from other natural sources. PWO shake for me is 2 scoops with water (50g protein..?) plus an egg white.

tri-athlete is offline Junior Member
    I took muscle milk for a few months, ran out, then went back to my old tub of american mass. I noticed very frequent gas after taking the american mass, and my body actually broke out in acne more than usual. So I dont really know if gas is a accurate way of judging amount of protein considering both products have roughly the same amount per serving. I think some of the more exspensive supps like muscle milk have a anti-bloating/anti-gastrel intestenal irritant in them.

jojo2002 is offline Associate Member
    well eat of bunch of eggs and see if u dont get gas... i think good protien has a natural by product of gas... and your acne maybe from gear or poor eating habits dont think protien can give you acne.... not sure though maybe wrong.

sonnygll is offline Member
    ????what?????

Well, first, at least in the USA, I am sure it is accurate. Since it is illegal to mislabel food products. They could be shut down and face heavy fines. I don't think they would risk it. Plus the FDA has to inspect it.

Protein powder should not give you gas. If you take in more protein than you can digest, you will have to crap more though. So you could get more gas all at once that would have been spread out over a longer period because of the movement in the colon.

Also eggs, and meat for that matter, don't cause gas contrary to popular opinion. They DO, however contribute to the SMELL a great deal. The actual cause of most gas is the breakdown of carbs in the intestines.

For example when I am cutting, hardly ever fart, except when I have the sugar free candy with all the sugar alcohols. Or maybe certain veggies. It's because of how low the carbs are.
    Then when I bulk... Oh man... do NOT stand behind me! It will ruin your day. Wheat bread and beans are the worst. I take a little beno but I'm still rippin em pretty bad.

I would really think 3 scoops is more than most people can digest, unless you are very large. For most of us, 2 scoops at a time is good. It digests quick, so a little later you can take some more. So if you really want that much protein at once, have 2 scoops and something else that digests slower, like casein or a can of tuna.

i beleive them, just because if they were ever tested and they didnt have 24grams or close to it, there probably be a law suit. false advertisment, in the day and age we live in there alway someone out there looking to make a quick check. could be wrong but makes me feel better.

stianpro is offline New Member
    protein supplements CAN give you acne... But that only happens with the beginners. Because if a "normal eating" person use proteinpowders their natural hormone production may increase a little bit.... = acne... =)

damn beat me to it

buffgator is offline king of mass
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnygll
    ????what?????

Well, first, at least in the USA, I am sure it is accurate. Since it is illegal to mislabel food products. They could be shut down and face heavy fines. I don't think they would risk it. Plus the FDA has to inspect it.

Protein powder should not give you gas. If you take in more protein than you can digest, you will have to crap more though. So you could get more gas all at once that would have been spread out over a longer period because of the movement in the colon.

Also eggs, and meat for that matter, don't cause gas contrary to popular opinion. They DO, however contribute to the SMELL a great deal. The actual cause of most gas is the breakdown of carbs in the intestines.

For example when I am cutting, hardly ever fart, except when I have the sugar free candy with all the sugar alcohols. Or maybe certain veggies. It's because of how low the carbs are.
    Then when I bulk... Oh man... do NOT stand behind me! It will ruin your day. Wheat bread and beans are the worst. I take a little beno but I'm still rippin em pretty bad.

I would really think 3 scoops is more than most people can digest, unless you are very large. For most of us, 2 scoops at a time is good. It digests quick, so a little later you can take some more. So if you really want that much protein at once, have 2 scoops and something else that digests slower, like casein or a can of tuna.
    Supplements are not fda approved

plzr8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briancb1

LOL...was thinking the same thing

maybe Optinum Nutriution should hire you to FEEL how much protein they put in each bag, there will be no need to measure ever again!

sonnygll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffgator
    Supplements are not fda approved
    Yes, but protein powder is NOT an herbal supplement. It actually contains macro nutrients and is therefor lumped in with food. While any claims of gains have not been evaluated by the FDA, it's safety has. Under US law it can't be sold without an accurate listing of the nutritional breakdown and ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnygll
    Yes, but protein powder is NOT an herbal supplement. It actually contains macro nutrients and is therefor lumped in with food. While any claims of gains have not been evaluated by the FDA, it's safety has. Under US law it can't be sold without an accurate listing of the nutritional breakdown and ingredients.
    agreed

Kelleh is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stianpro
    protein supplements CAN give you acne... But that only happens with the beginners. Because if a "normal eating" person use proteinpowders their natural hormone production may increase a little bit.... = acne... =)
    Interesting

newbster is offline New Member
    First of all there is some regulation of supplements. The FTC regulates false claims made by these companies. Second optimum nutrition is a pretty reputible brand, you should be fine. Its actually what brand I use.

SwiftMove83 is offline Associate Member
    Optimum Double Rich Chocolate...mmmm....

cwhid is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMove83
    Optimum Double Rich Chocolate...mmmm....
    People always claim how good optimum tastes, but compared to ISOPURE and CytoGainer(Cookies and cream, mint choclate, rocky road, the list goes on) which are my two favorites, it tastes pretty sh!tty. That being said, I have a 10lb bag of ON vanilla sitting on top of my fridge. Its definately the best bang for the buck, but far from the best tasting, although also far from the worst. I just cant see how people always rave about its taste, to me thats clearly not its best attribute.

Thread Information