Tha X is offline New Member

Vitex Agnus Castus - so what is it?

So this supplement is also called as monk's berry.

Found out why it's called like that.
    This plant is commonly called monk's pepper because it was originally used as anti-libido medicine by monks to aid their attempts to remain celibate. It is believed to be an anaphrodisiac, hence the name chaste tree.

From other places I read it's an anti-estrogen and it reduces prolactin levels, which boosts libido.

So what should I believe? What effects does it actually have?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I'll ask for this to be moved to the supplement section, it may get more responses there.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha X View Post
    So this supplement is also called as monk's berry.

Found out why it's called like that.
    This plant is commonly called monk's pepper because it was originally used as anti-libido medicine by monks to aid their attempts to remain celibate. It is believed to be an anaphrodisiac, hence the name chaste tree.

From other places I read it's an anti-estrogen and it reduces prolactin levels, which boosts libido.

So what should I believe? What effects does it actually have?
    Its been reported it raises T, but I'm not convinced. Its a phyto-serm and I've seen some very reputable supplement bro's report it raises estrogen and lowers free T.

EDIT: Ok, I've done some more reading. It seems studies support it raises LH in women, thus progesterone and LH in men, thus Testosterone . The studies I've just looked at seem slightly contradicting. It lowers prolactin the same way Cabergoline reduces it (dopamine antagonist).

What exactly are you using Vitex for? From what I've read, I'd only be inclined to use it when gyno is a concern or appears and not for any other reason because of the conflicting thoughts on it.
    Last edited by Swifto; 05-23-2008 at 10:16 AM.

chainsaw1 is offline New Member
    Its use was to lower prolactin. But I believe I read it had a negative affect on Test levels.

Horm Metab Res. 1993 May;25(5):253-5. Related Articles, Links

Agnus castus extracts inhibit prolactin secretion of rat pituitary cells.

Sliutz G, Speiser P, Schultz AM, Spona J, Zeillinger R.

Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vienna, Austria.

In our studies on prolactin inhibition by plant extracts we focused on the effects of extracts of Vitex agnus castus and its preparations on rat pituitary cells under basal and stimulated conditions in primary cell culture. Both extracts from Vitex agnus castus as well as synthetic dopamine agonists (Lisuride) significantly inhibit basal as well as TRH-stimulated prolactin secretion of rat pituitary cells in vitro and as a consequence inhibition of prolactin secretion could be blocked by adding a dopamine receptor blocker. Therefore because of its dopaminergic effect Agnus castus could be considered as an efficient alternative phytotherapeutic drug in the treatment of slight hyperprolactinaemia.

Although in rats.

Title: The Effects of Vitex agnus castus Extract and its Interaction with Dopaminergic System on LH and Testosterone in Male Mice
    VIEW

:: Table of Contents
    :: Full Text
    :: Citation
    :: Quick Search in ASCI

Author: Sima Nasri, Shahrbano Oryan, Ali Haeri Rohani and Gholam Reza Amin
    Source: Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 10 (14): 2300-2307, 2007
    Abstract: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the probable effects of Vitex agnus castus (Vac.) on the male reproductive physiology. It is a well known fact that LH secretion from the anterior pituitary of mammals is controlled by many neurotransmiters such as dopamine. In this experiment, we have studied the effect of Vac. extract on the LH and testosterone hormones and its interaction with the dopaminergic system on male mice. In order to evaluate these effects, we used the hydroalcoholic Vac. extract (for extraction we used percolation technique) injection with the following doses: 65, 165, 265, 365 and 465 mg kg-1, bromocriptine as a dopamine receptor agonist (5, 10, 20 mg kg-1) and haloperidol as a dopamine receptor antagonist (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 mg kg-1). To study the interaction between Vac. extract and dopaminergic system, we injected the optimum doses of Vac. with bromocriptine or haloperidol at the same time. Intraperitoneal injections were applied in all experiments, once a day for 30 days. The control group remained intact and the sham group received vehicle. After the last injection, we collected the animal blood serums for hormonal assays. LH and testosterone were measured by Radio Immuno Assay (RIA). LH and testosterone, showed significant decrease in bromocriptine group and haloperidol increased these hormones. Vac. extract decreased significantly the LH and testosterone levels . The coadministration of Vac. extract and bromocriptine decreased LH and testosterone. Coadministration of Vac. extract and haloperidol decreased LH and testosterone levels. These results suggest: dopamine regulates the gonadotroph-Leydig cells axis. It appears that Vac. exertes effects through dopaminergic system and other pathways. The findings of this study show we can use Vac. extract for pathological cases of increasing LH and testosterone.

Thread Information