Thread: Vit B shots

bighital is offline Associate Member

Vit B shots

Has anyone ever had the Vit B shot treatment to lose weight? If so did it help you out and was it worth the money..

Thank you..

Your B12 levels are fine. Do something useful and count the fibers in your carpet. Don't worry about B12. Or are you an 80 year old alcoholic vegetarian?

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bighital View Post
    Has anyone ever had the Vit B shot treatment to lose weight? If so did it help you out and was it worth the money..

Thank you..
    I love B12 injects 2x per wk. Great for energy and appetite,,plus general sense of well being.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBricks View Post
    Your B12 levels are fine. Do something useful and count the fibers in your carpet. Don't worry about B12. Or are you an 80 year old alcoholic vegetarian?
    he didn't ask about a deficiency, he asked a legitimate questions, and even if you aren't deficient, b12 supplementation can be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by bighital View Post

Thank you..
    for weight loss no, reason being that it can increase appetite, which is the opposite of what you would want, but i notice an increase in energy levels and well being when on it

higherdesire is offline Banned
    I have been taking 500iu ed for several weeks now and have had a much more steady energy level as well as moderate increase in appetite.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by higherdesire View Post
    I have been taking 500iu ed for several weeks now and have had a much more steady energy level as well as moderate increase in appetite.
    500iu? do you mean mcg?

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    500iu? do you mean mcg?
    yeah, I don;t think I could hold 500 iu's!

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    i tried b12 injects on several occasion and got nothing from it.

Anyone able to cite a study showing a benefit?

I have a personal resluts study but that is it. I didn;t feel the results right away either. i noticed them over a period of 7-10 days begin to be consistant. I am not sure why or how, just that since I have been on it everyday i don't get tired during the day, and my energy levels seem to be consistant. No more highs and lows. I had tried it every other day, and twice a week for a while but it wasn;t until I went ED that I found the sweet spot.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Anyone able to cite a study showing a benefit?
    well goggle this : vitamin b12 effects fatigue jama new england journal of medicine - read those results for a bit .....
    pretty credible sources id say huh? since after all it is the QUALITY of the studies not the quantity.... *L*

and check this out re appetite:
    http://www.patrickholford.com/conten...d_Content=1461
    (cites effects on appetite in elderly dementia patients and lack of b-12 and b6 and the direct correlation )- info here also taken from JAMA and NEJOM ...again ...credible sources right?

Now please do not come back with - there are no studies on healthy males blah blah blah - of course not , much like broken fingernails .....these studies arent pursued ...there are sick people that need treatment. ....so why bother to study the benefits of b12 in the above circumstance? The evidence in the above is more than ample to suggest the possibility of b12's fatigue fighting and appetite stimulating properties . That combined with real world comments on the fact it does those things ,comments by people who have nothing to gain by saying so .....well lets just say it SHOULD quiet the skeptic ...who loses sight of the topic and are more concerned with saving face at times.....
    Oh and btw before you ask people to cite a study to support their real world experience...maybe you should take 2 mins and google yourself? They have no responsibility to prove their experience is valid - to you or anyone else..
    JMO ......

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    well goggle this : vitamin b12 effects fatigue jama new england journal of medicine - read those results for a bit .....
    pretty credible sources id say huh? since after all it is the QUALITY of the studies not the quantity.... *L*

and check this out re appetite:
    http://www.patrickholford.com/conten...d_Content=1461
    (cites effects on appetite in elderly dementia patients and lack of b-12 and b6 and the direct correlation )- info here also taken from JAMA and NEJOM ...again ...credible sources right?

Now please do not come back with - there are no studies on healthy males blah blah blah - of course not , much like broken fingernails .....these studies arent pursued ...there are sick people that need treatment. ....so why bother to study the benefits of b12 in the above circumstance? The evidence in the above is more than ample to suggest the possibility of b12's fatigue fighting and appetite stimulating properties . That combined with real world comments on the fact it does those things ,comments by people who have nothing to gain by saying so .....well lets just say it SHOULD quiet the skeptic ...who loses sight of the topic and are more concerned with saving face at times.....
    Oh and btw before you ask people to cite a study to support their real world experience...maybe you should take 2 mins and google yourself? They have no responsibility to prove their experience is valid - to you or anyone else..
    JMO ......
    Piss off moron. Your google search doesn't show a relevant link. So thanks for nothing. You are not capable of having a scientific discussion. So don't reply to my threads. Ever. Piss off. Piss off. Piss off.

If anyone has a link to a study relevant to the topic please post a direct link. I don't have any idea whether supplementing has a benefit or not. I don't see an obvious reason to reject the idea.

Blog Entries
    Piss off moron. Your google search doesn't show a relevant link. So thanks for nothing. You are not capable of having a scientific discussion. So don't reply to my threads. Ever. Piss off. Piss off. Piss off.

If anyone has a link to a study relevant to the topic please post a direct link. I don't have any idea whether supplementing has a benefit or not. I don't see an obvious reason to reject the idea.

^^^^ *L* YOUR threads .....oh brother *shaking my head* ....
    I thought the studies mentioned in the google search re using b12 / b6 in treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome published in the resources i mentioned were interesting - huh guess not....
    I was also curious , if the OP is dieting ...and you have no idea WHAT his diet is ...how the hell could u dismiss him saying his b12 levels were fine? Doesnt seem very prudent IMO ...
    Anyway ....I think i made my point .....
    Have a great day....
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 02-05-2009 at 10:08 AM.

...how the hell could u dismiss him saying his b12 levels were fine? Doesnt seem very prudent IMO
    If there is a single place in the universe where people are exceptionally unlikely to be b12 deficient it is here on this forum. Animal protein sources are the fundamental source of our b12. The OP is a guy who is taking transdermal test who lifts weights and boxes. I think we can safely assume protein intake in this guy is not an issue.

Imagine going to an ER and being subjected to every test which might show an abnormality. Headache? Well lets get a head CT "to be sure" its nothing serious. Back pain? Oh lets get a CT scan of your abdomen to rule out an aortic aneurysm. Diarrhea? Lets admit you an collect 3 stool specimens to check for C.diff colitis. You leave the hospital with a 20,000 bill and enough radiation to turn you into a borderline superhero. If we didn't dismiss people based on statistical likelihood and the clinical picture we would be constantly testing everyone for everything, wasting money, and *hurting* people with unnecessary invasive testing.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^^So you are a doctor? I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post
    ^^^So you are a doctor? I'm confused...
    I have a bachelors degree in biochemistry and philosophy, went to medical school and graduated with my M.D. What that means is I can practice medicine, write prescriptions and so on. I am now doing my residency. If you are merely treating people with diabetes, hypertension and common diseases in an office setting it might be enough to not do a 3 year residency after medical school. I work in a trauma center managing true emergencies. Heart attacks, strokes, gun shot wounds, severed limbs and so on. To do that you really need training beyond what you get in medical school. Jimmy likes to imagine that because I am still in a type of training that I am a student, implying that I am reading books and taking tests, which is not true. If he spent 8 hours with me in my job he would have to change scoop the poop out of his pants with a small bulldozer.

But as I have said anytime someone brings it up, it doesn't mean I know everything about bodybuilding. What it does mean is that I have a very defined and specific sense of what constitutes reasonable evidence.
    Last edited by BrokenBricks; 02-05-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    ^^^Do you think the studies of b12 and b6 in treating chronic fatigue posted in the very best medical journals as well as the study on appetite stimulation posted in those same journals may at least warrant not dismissing the potential effects of vit b supplementation in those areas?
    btw - i give u credit for the time you put in towards your future (current if you deem that term necessary and prudent - imean not being a dick but many dont make it) profession ...i actually do - its your condescending and at times arrogant attitude and closed mindedness i wish you would change here in this forum. Also more first hand experience is always welcome. I did like your input in the benadryl thread ...there's always a first.

^^^Do you think the studies of b12 and b6 in treating chronic fatigue posted in the very best medical journals as well as the study on appetite stimulation posted in those same journals may at least warrant not dismissing the potential effects of vit b supplementation in those areas?
    Quote Originally Posted by BB
    I don't have any idea whether supplementing has a benefit or not. I don't see an obvious reason to reject the idea.
    Just because I don't have a high regard for the anecdotes on this forum does not mean I am closed minded. I just have a highly developed sense of what constitutes evidence. Anyway, as per the quote above, I leave open the possibility of benefit. I just have no good reason to think there is a benefit. I am not going to start taking the stuff unless I have *good* reason.

And what I think is arrogant is when people around here with 1/10th the education I have are 10 times more forthcoming with their opinions...which they further demand be taken as unimpeachable fact. The majority of the posts on any given thread here are of this sort.
    Last edited by BrokenBricks; 02-05-2009 at 08:32 PM.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    How common is vitamin B-12 deficiency?Allen LH.
    US Department of Agriculture, ARS Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA. [email protected]

In considering the vitamin B-12 fortification of flour, it is important to know who is at risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency and whether those individuals would benefit from flour fortification. This article reviews current knowledge of the prevalence and causes of vitamin B-12 deficiency and considers whether fortification would improve the status of deficient subgroups of the population. In large surveys in the United States and the United Kingdom, approximately 6% of those aged > or =60 y are vitamin B-12 deficient (plasma vitamin B-12 < 148 pmol/L), with the prevalence of deficiency increasing with age. Closer to 20% have marginal status (plasma vitamin B-12: 148-221 pmol/L) in later life. In developing countries, deficiency is much more common, starting in early life and persisting across the life span. Inadequate intake, due to low consumption of animal-source foods, is the main cause of low serum vitamin B-12 in younger adults and likely the main cause in poor populations worldwide; in most studies, serum vitamin B-12 concentration is correlated with intake of this vitamin. In older persons, food-bound cobalamin malabsorption becomes the predominant cause of deficiency, at least in part due to gastric atrophy, but it is likely that most elderly can absorb the vitamin from fortified food. Fortification of flour with vitamin B-12 is likely to improve the status of most persons with low stores of this vitamin. However, intervention studies are still needed to assess efficacy and functional benefits of increasing intake of the amounts likely to be consumed in flour, including in elderly persons with varying degrees of gastric atrophy.

From what I've read, unless you are older and/or your stomach can not absorb b12 that well there isn't any sense in supplemental b12 other than maybe through b-complex.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    How common is vitamin B-12 deficiency?Allen LH.
    US Department of Agriculture, ARS Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA. [email protected]

In considering the vitamin B-12 fortification of flour, it is important to know who is at risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency and whether those individuals would benefit from flour fortification. This article reviews current knowledge of the prevalence and causes of vitamin B-12 deficiency and considers whether fortification would improve the status of deficient subgroups of the population. In large surveys in the United States and the United Kingdom, approximately 6% of those aged > or =60 y are vitamin B-12 deficient (plasma vitamin B-12 < 148 pmol/L), with the prevalence of deficiency increasing with age. Closer to 20% have marginal status (plasma vitamin B-12: 148-221 pmol/L) in later life. In developing countries, deficiency is much more common, starting in early life and persisting across the life span. Inadequate intake, due to low consumption of animal-source foods, is the main cause of low serum vitamin B-12 in younger adults and likely the main cause in poor populations worldwide; in most studies, serum vitamin B-12 concentration is correlated with intake of this vitamin. In older persons, food-bound cobalamin malabsorption becomes the predominant cause of deficiency, at least in part due to gastric atrophy, but it is likely that most elderly can absorb the vitamin from fortified food. Fortification of flour with vitamin B-12 is likely to improve the status of most persons with low stores of this vitamin. However, intervention studies are still needed to assess efficacy and functional benefits of increasing intake of the amounts likely to be consumed in flour, including in elderly persons with varying degrees of gastric atrophy.

From what I've read, unless you are older and/or your stomach can not absorb b12 that well there isn't any sense in supplemental b12 other than maybe through b-complex.
    Well, just to be clear, while this does confirm what I said about deficiency ( think they are actually underestimating it here really)...it does not speak to the goal of achieving above normal levels.

I went through about 200 different text on b12, none of them were in reguards to benefits from high b12 levels.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ read post 11 - check them out. Granted they are condition specific - but nonetheless intriguing.....
    they speak to use in treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome ...and the other was effects on appetite in dementia patients - reputable sources as well. Who knows.....

^^^ read post 11 - check them out. Granted they are condition specific - but nonetheless intriguing.....
    they speak to use in treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome ...and the other was effects on appetite in dementia patients - reputable sources as well. Who knows.....
    The google search string does not work and neither does the link. Try and post direct links and not search strings. Ill give whatever a look.

Blog Entries
    will do...gimme a min ....

Destructo is offline Associate Member
    wow. pretty hot thread... My buddy was rated as one of the top 10 personal trainers in the country. He'd make money training his clients, then make more money by selling them shots of B-12 (that he'd inject). He explained to me that this was his hook, line, and sinker. ..
    1.He'd get them to be investing more money into their training, which would make them care more about results.
    2. They'd get a major placebo effect by getting an injection, and push their workouts harder- they'd swear it was the B-12
    3. The B-12 was probably the best thing to enter their bodies in a long time, so of course, it did a world of good.
    On a solid point: All of his clients began to dramatically change their diets and lifestyles for the better. They ate proper foods, kept proper nutrition, slept better, became more active, and got to the gym everyday. All the changes they had were not from B-12 injections alone.
    B-12 will help you if you have a dedicated trainer to inject you 3-5 days per week, monitor your diet, and kick-drive your training routines.

Blog Entries
    sorry for the delay - more important leisure activity came up last pm! Several links - slightly mixed results - some show only change when deficiency exists - some reinforcing the appetite and fatigue benefits regardless (from some reliable sources as well) nonetheless interesting reads ....
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...-8&oi=scholart - many listings here
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/585589
    http://www.geocities.com/fragranceal...t09052002.html
    http://www.micronutra.com/journal/ch...tigue-syndrome
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vit...ent-vitaminb12
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...-8&oi=scholart - many listings here
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/02735t867m116n22/
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/15/5/411.pdf
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/u41k28033j7401n8/
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 02-07-2009 at 02:13 PM.

RATTLEHEAD is offline Member
    I take 5,000 mcg's per day of b-12. I don't lie to myself so I doubt it's the placebo effect, but i feel noticeably better in general when i take the b-12. much more energy, more alert, ive even noticed myself getting less severe hang overs after nights ive been drinking hard..

Don't you naturally have a deficiency of it and would feel an effect from it?

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    I can't debate the medical side like some people are.. its not my feild nor even hobby..

but i'm 26 years old, generally very healthy. I took B-12 shots EOD for two months and i noticed a much higher energy level, and felt more awake and alert at work. i was not hyper just more alert and willing to get up and do things..

I also noticed alittle more endurance on slow runs.. when my roit team would do 4 mile runs even at a slow pace i felt like i could do them easier with less effort... but it did not effect my actual max effort run time in the two mile or 1.5.. i only noticed a "feeling" of energy when running at slow paces for long distances

maybe it was the B-12 maybe it was in my head.. but i'll do it again when i get some

RATTLEHEAD is offline Member
    Yea, I do have a natural deficiency. But I can't imagine it not having similar effects to some degree with everyone else. But I could be wrong. Either way, I personally definitely feel a big difference.

kellyme is offline New Member
    I have never tried a Vitamin B12 shot so I can't really tell. But to think about it, maybe it won't help anyone to lose weight. B12 is suppose to boost energy. What I'm using is a Vitamin B12 Spray from http://products.mercola.com/vitamin-b12-spray/ And it's good. Has anyone tried it before?

Thread Information