Thread: Protein shakes

gamemania is offline Junior Member

Protein shakes

What is so wrong in consuming 3 or more servings of protein shakes a day? i understand that "normal" sources of protein such as steak and eggs contain certain minerals and vitamins that are not necessarily present in protein shakes...but is this the only reason?

would this mean that if i consumed enough protein from "normal" sources, then i can consume as much from protein shakes as i want?

basically im asking...do u guys think consuming relatively large amounts (by this i mean 3 or more servings) of protein from protein shakes is a problem?

i have been consuming 3 protein shakes a day (each with about 32g protein) for about two years now. im sure however that i get enough protein from normal sources.

*if ur wondering how in the hell this relates to AAS....well, i DO intend to continue using protein shakes when i start i cycle...so i just thought id clear some things up.

markhyena is offline Banned
    I think that thier point is that you should try to get the protien from FOOD not shakes.....

that's the conclusion ive come to...
    and im tryin !!

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    It's not a problem, just make sure you getting enough calories/carbs/food protein from your other 4 solid meals.

What the problem with some people is they take 3 shakes a day (50+ grams protein) then slack off of the actual food part and don't get in good high protein/calorie foods.

A protein shake is just protein, no carbs, no calories, nothing. You can only have so much of "artificial protein".

Basically the rule of thumb is try to get as much as you can from food sources and the ones you can't get, get from shakes.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post
    It's not a problem, just make sure you getting enough calories/carbs/food protein from your other 4 solid meals.

What the problem with some people is they take 3 shakes a day (50+ grams protein) then slack off of the actual food part and don't get in good high protein/calorie foods.

A protein shake is just protein, no carbs, no calories, nothing. You can only have so much of "artificial protein".

Basically the rule of thumb is try to get as much as you can from food sources and the ones you can't get, get from shakes.
    i concur

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post

well said

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    your body will grow and deal with whole foods better.

and if i did 3 shakes a day..

that kills me - it would be like concrete in my intestines....

i'd get bloated and constapated.......

Crest is offline Senior Member
    id clear rooms, probably even buildings drinking 3 protein shakes a day for 2 years! after workout only for me

learnerdriver is offline Associate Member
    If you find it easier to supplement with shakes then i would say tis better than not getting your required amount of protein per day but i would struggle to get in enough real food. I find shakes don't always digest easily. Lol and i agree with Uk lad, you could end up being a biological weapon

alpmaster is offline Member
    I don't count protein from shakes or vegetable proteins in my daily amounts. Regardless of its bio-availability, they are low quality proteins that are absorbed in 30 mins (whey). The nitrogen spike is short.

The only time you should consume a shake is post workout because you need this spike from quick digesting (whey) protein. If you require 160g of protein a day, get 160g from foods (eggs, meat, and some dairy), and consume a shake post workout and/or in the morning, but don't count it in your daily totals... nothing can replace good old FOOD.

xderekx is offline Associate Member
    i usually alternate meal, shake, meal, shake, etc...

*example

meal 1:
    8 eggs (2 yolk) 1 cup of oatmeal

meal 2:
    50g whey shake (2 tbsp natty pb)

meal 3:
    2 grilled chicken breasts 1 sweet potato

meal 4:
    50g whey shake (2 tbsp natty pb)

and so on....

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    depends on your goals, the phytonutrients are lacking in shakes as you mentioned, but shakes are also liquid and therefore have a lower thermodynamic value than whole foods

i hear you man! explains a lot actually. ur absolutely right, it does not feel right in the stomach sometimes. but thing is, its so quick and easy to down a good 32g of protein (my serving size)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    your body will grow and deal with whole foods better.

and if i did 3 shakes a day..

that kills me - it would be like concrete in my intestines....

i'd get bloated and constapated.......
    Quote Originally Posted by uk lad View Post
    id clear rooms, probably even buildings drinking 3 protein shakes a day for 2 years! after workout only for me
    Quote Originally Posted by learnerdriver View Post
    If you find it easier to supplement with shakes then i would say tis better than not getting your required amount of protein per day but i would struggle to get in enough real food. I find shakes don't always digest easily. Lol and i agree with Uk lad, you could end up being a biological weapon

I hear you fellas! That actually explains a lot. I figured it was just me who had that problem, but yea...must be those darn shakes!

Quote Originally Posted by alpmaster View Post
    I don't count protein from shakes or vegetable proteins in my daily amounts. Regardless of its bio-availability, they are low quality proteins that are absorbed in 30 mins (whey). The nitrogen spike is short.

The only time you should consume a shake is post workout because you need this spike from quick digesting (whey) protein. If you require 160g of protein a day, get 160g from foods (eggs, meat, and some dairy), and consume a shake post workout and/or in the morning, but don't count it in your daily totals... nothing can replace good old FOOD.
    Dude, thats pretty intense. How could you not count protein you get from shakes in ur daily allowance. The whole point of a protein supplement is to supplement your lack of consumption.

I can appreciate the part about vegetable proteins, and the importance of food, but surely u still count protein from protein shakes...they are made to be highly bioavailable (if thats the correct term)

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    depends on your goals, the phytonutrients are lacking in shakes as you mentioned, but shakes are also liquid and therefore have a lower thermodynamic value than whole foods
    Does having a lower thermodynamic value make it a good or a bad thing? judging from the structure of ur statement, im thinking its a good thing...but just to make sure...

I guess my take home message though is that as long as im getting enough from food sources, its ok for me to keep taking protein shakes to give me the added amount i need. there is also an issue of gas, and digestional discomfort, which i must admit i suffer from, so i should probably think about taking one shake out of the equation.

I guess my main worry was if my copious amount of shake consumption was harmful to my body? i guess its just the digestional issue...

* please pardon my string of replies, i know its annoying, but im still getting used to "quote" and other clickable things on this forum...

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gamemania View Post
    What is so wrong in consuming 3 or more servings of protein shakes a day? i understand that "normal" sources of protein such as steak and eggs contain certain minerals and vitamins that are not necessarily present in protein shakes...but is this the only reason?

would this mean that if i consumed enough protein from "normal" sources, then i can consume as much from protein shakes as i want?

basically im asking...do u guys think consuming relatively large amounts (by this i mean 3 or more servings) of protein from protein shakes is a problem?

i have been consuming 3 protein shakes a day (each with about 32g protein) for about two years now. im sure however that i get enough protein from normal sources.

*if ur wondering how in the hell this relates to AAS....well, i DO intend to continue using protein shakes when i start i cycle...so i just thought id clear some things up.
    Copied from another thread I posted this in:

1). Thats how food allergies form

2). You don't get the same nutrients you find in foods, healthy fats (ex: cla, 0megas) I don't care how much fortifying you do to your protein powder.

3). The thermic effect is no where near the same as whole foods.

4). Natural source of creatine inside whole foods like red meats

5). It's a supplement, not meant to be your only protein source. Expensive and unneccisary.

6). Depending on the brand it can be a poor source of some key AA's which is why it's good to variety.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED

I dont know how else to put it other than that is a completely false statement. Also, I think most guys on this board hit 160 grams of protein before noon.

Barch is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I didn't realize so many guys had problems digesting shakes. I used to gas when I first starting drinking them years ago, but now I have no gas/digestion issues with them at all. I admit, I don't get whole foods as much as I should, but in a pinch a protein blend (not just whey) shake with milk, sometimes up to 4 a day seems to be doing okay for me. Of course, I do eat regular food when I can throughout the day (nuts, beef jerky, veggies and when time permits baked chicken and steak a few times a week).

8iron is offline Associate Member
    Does having a lower thermodynamic value make it a good or a bad thing? judging from the structure of ur statement, im thinking its a good thing...but just to make sure...

I guess my take home message though is that as long as im getting enough from food sources, its ok for me to keep taking protein shakes to give me the added amount i need. there is also an issue of gas, and digestional discomfort, which i must admit i suffer from, so i should probably think about taking one shake out of the equation.

I guess my main worry was if my copious amount of shake consumption was harmful to my body? i guess its just the digestional issue...

* please pardon my string of replies, i know its annoying, but im still getting used to "quote" and other clickable things on this forum...

If u want to help with the digestion, i always had a spoonful of matamucil with my shake does the trick nd keep me flowing like clockwork!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I dont know how else to put it other than that is a completely false statement. Also, I think most guys on this board hit 160 grams of protein before noon.
    agreed as always^^^

whether it's a good or bad thing depends on goals, thermodynamic value is how much energy it takes the body to digest the food the the amount of heat released during digestion, whole food takes more energy to digest and produces more heat, thus, less calories from whole food can be stored as fat and the metabolism is boosted more

need more fibrous veges

you should try multi quote(it's right beside quote)

c-Z
    c-Z is offline Educate B4 You Medicate (RIP T)
    Whole foods>Shakes any day.... I remember doing shakes a lot..... When i was younger. Mix up that weight gainer protein and crap.. Throw all sorts of stuff in there... Thing would be like 1500-2000 calories... And then i realized it was pointless to intake that much in liquid... And my ass only stunk after it all...

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

you got to be kidden me. i drink 3 shakes a day
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

if you aren't count vegetable proteins because they are incomplete then you should start, just because something is an incomplete protein doesn't meal your body can't use it, so not counting these can lead to an out of proportion and hypercaloric diet

you are using an incorrect blanket statement to describe protein shakes by saying they are low quality and have a short nitrogen spike, this is dependant on the type of protein(casein, soy, concentrate, isolate, hydrolysate, egg, etc etc,), proteins nowadays are much better than there earlier counterparts and provide a high quality amino acid chart

Godson is offline Associate Member
    if some people are taking 3 shakes a day

or even a shake after every meal as stated in this thread

i ask what is your protein/carb/fat breakdown daily if you're downing 3 or more protein shakes a day worth 32-50gs

keithdolby is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    if you aren't count vegetable proteins because they are incomplete then you should start, just because something is an incomplete protein doesn't meal your body can't use it, so not counting these can lead to an out of proportion and hypercaloric diet

you are using an incorrect blanket statement to describe protein shakes by saying they are low quality and have a short nitrogen spike, this is dependant on the type of protein(casein, soy, concentrate, isolate, hydrolysate, egg, etc etc,), proteins nowadays are much better than there earlier counterparts and provide a high quality amino acid chart
    Do you think rice and hemp protein shakes make for a more quality shake. I average about two of these shakes per day, but after reading this thread some of yall make it out like shakes are a waste except post-workout.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Hemp and rice protein shakes? Nah man..stick to good ol' whey and casein, with a whole bunch of food...can't go wrong. Hasn't anyone seen Ronnie Coleman make a shake? Come on guys!

Thread Information