FmRommel is offline Member

Soy Protein and Estrogen?

Is the shit I have heard about Soy really true? Is it real bad to eat because of estrogen conversion? Is it ok to just eat a little??

Just wondering.
    Thanks

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I would stay away from it. It is true that it helps in the production of estrogen. Thats why doctors advise women going into menopause to drink it.
    My Mom keeps 2 gal. chilled in her fridge.

unclebeets is offline Junior Member
    What you have heard is true. It wont hurt you to eat it, but why lower your test levels when we try so hard to elevate them

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes it is. Besides the fact that the powders are like mixing flour and water - Soy protein is not a good source of protein.

When my ex bought a formula for our daughter once she had dried up I immediatly looked at the ingredients and guess what I saw - SOY! I shit canned and went down to the frocery store and started to look at labels and found one that had Whey and Casein as the protein sources - and NO SOY! She had a full rack or teeth real quick and be looking for her in the 2025 Mrs Olympia - Fitness Olympia

But the best way to sum it up is to read these three articles from T-Mag:

Soy Is STILL Bad Protein
    by Glen Neilson

Bad Protein
    by TC

The Evils of Soy
    by Cy Willson

Thanks a lot guys.....
    Great Links Warrior...Thanks

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Now I am about to espouse an unpopular idea on this board, but a new study just came out on Soy's phytoestrogens effects on people. The study showed that they may actually benefit those looking to loose fat and improve performance. The effect was attributed to an inhibitory effect of the flavones on estrogen action.

In other words, the flavones are antagonists to the estrogenic receptors. They occupy the sites such that real estrogen can't act and they have much lower estrogen-like effects on the body.

this still doesn't mitigate the fact that soy is inferior as a protein source.

Bump

Za_S|ick is offline New Member
    Jeff, do you have a link with the new study, because you made us curious.
    Thx.

ikann is offline New Member
    i get emotional, kind of like when taking clomid, when I used to eat too much soy protein. I no longer eat it at all.

Striking_Cobra is offline New Member
    Check out this link for some good info http://www.totalityofbeing.com/id95.htm

some soy protein sources are acceptable and OK to use in smaller quantities (for men) - but as far as using soy milk - I would not recommend that.

ill try to look up the study when I get home, sorry it took so long, but I was out.

sorry I couldnt find the exact reference to this in my stack of paperwork. the best that i could do is a review of soy in the Journal of Nutrition 2002, 132 p5705.

It does say that soy won't lower testosterone , doesn't have strong estrogenic effects, prevents prostate and breast cancer.

The last one (breast cancer) is important as it is known that estrogens and progestins both increase breast cancer rates and aggressivness (ergo tamoxifen as an anticancer and the hullaballo over Premarin).

This is just supporting what I said. I will look elsewhere for that reference however and try to get the goods

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Warrior- thanks bro, I never bothered to look at the formula that we used with my daughter.......but I'll be reading labels when my son is born this February! What was the name of the formula you found that used whey and caisen(spelling)?

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    Warrior- thanks bro, I never bothered to look at the formula that we used with my daughter.......but I'll be reading labels when my son is born this February! What was the name of the formula you found that used whey and caisen(spelling)?
    I can't remember but if you turn the can around it should be near the top of the ingredients list (it should actually be at the very top). If I go grocery shopping again soon and I'll look it them over for ya. I want to say Enfamil...

Make sure your wife takes in EFA's while she is breast feeding. Evening Primrose Oil is popular for breast feeding woman. It helps build the baby's brain and vision - the FDA just approved this and soon baby formulas will come with them as a standard. We all need smart kids to take care of us later on

talking about smart kids, I have a friend who works with the NIH, who just penned a study about fat and kids brain development. turns out that kids need a lot fat for proper brain dev. so don't really worry obout your kids fat intake until they get older. they need it

Originally posted by jeffylyte
    talking about smart kids, I have a friend who works with the NIH, who just penned a study about fat and kids brain development. turns out that kids need a lot fat for proper brain dev. so don't really worry obout your kids fat intake until they get older. they need it
    In particular, essential fatty acids (EFA's) - I believe DHA is the direct link. The health food industry has known this for awhile, and the fact that a nursing mother should supplement with Borage or Evening Primrose Oils. But it is now finally going mainstream. I think as of February you will see a new label regarding it, "These statements HAVE been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This prduct is intended to make your kid a smart mofo."

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Thanks Warrior.......Enfamil is what we used and plan on using. I'll do some looking around when I go to the store today. Our doctor was telling us about the EFA's this last visit......thanks for the heads up!!!!!

Thread Information