rsjrv99 is offline New Member

Diphenhydramine (BENADRYL) and sleep anxiety?

I think it's called sleep anxiety, i'm not sure, but here ill explain the situation

I'm currently doing a cycle of ECA and this is the off cycle week and I am using 50mg of Diphenhydramine at night about an hour before I fall asleep. Well the problem I have been having is that I wake up about 2 hours later with this sensation i've never experienced before...It's like everything around me is static, i can't concentrate on any one thing, my mind is racing a million miles an hour everywhere, feels like i'm going completely insane. I sit down to try and concentrate but can't. I have no idea what this is called, but I thought it may have been a one time thing, so I attempted again the next night and BAM, happened again. So, the next night I didn't take it and slept like a baby, so I know it was the Diphenhydramine, but why? This side effect isn't listed under the side effects and I can't find any info about it.

I think I might try some Ketotifen and see how that affects me, unless someone knows what the problem here is

jfalco is offline Member
    Side effect isn't listed because it wouldn't happen if you weren't on the ECA also.

Sounds like you've solved the problem.

But i've been off the stack for almost 5 days now, and I took the Diphenhydramine when I was off for 2 days already. why would the drug interactions still be occuring?

jfalco is offline Member
    My bad. I was confused. I thought you were on both at the smae time. In that case I have no idea why you have this side effect. I used to date a girl who said that benadryl ****ed with her, but I never really understood why. Maybe this is what she was talking about.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by rsjrv99 View Post
    I think it's called sleep anxiety, i'm not sure, but here ill explain the situation

I'm currently doing a cycle of ECA and this is the off cycle week and I am using 50mg of Diphenhydramine at night about an hour before I fall asleep. Well the problem I have been having is that I wake up about 2 hours later with this sensation i've never experienced before...It's like everything around me is static, i can't concentrate on any one thing, my mind is racing a million miles an hour everywhere, feels like i'm going completely insane. I sit down to try and concentrate but can't. I have no idea what this is called, but I thought it may have been a one time thing, so I attempted again the next night and BAM, happened again. So, the next night I didn't take it and slept like a baby, so I know it was the Diphenhydramine, but why? This side effect isn't listed under the side effects and I can't find any info about it.

I think I might try some Ketotifen and see how that affects me, unless someone knows what the problem here is
    i've gotten the same thing, i woke up one night after taking 100mg of diphen and ran around my room in circles, jumping on my bed and then jumping up for an hour, then passed out

switch to ketotifen as diphen won't help with upregulation anyway

btw, what happened to us was probably something along these lines, diphen is a hallucinogen and can cause excitability and delirium. We got these side effects from it crossing the blood-brain barrier. Excitability sounds not so bad, but that's the reason we were running around everywhere, basically we were overstimulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    i've gotten the same thing, i woke up one night after taking 100mg of diphen and ran around my room in circles, jumping on my bed and then jumping up for an hour, then passed out

switch to ketotifen as diphen won't help with upregulation anyway

btw, what happened to us was probably something along these lines, diphen is a hallucinogen and can cause excitability and delirium. We got these side effects from it crossing the blood-brain barrier. Excitability sounds not so bad, but that's the reason we were running around everywhere, basically we were overstimulated.
    Sounds exactly like what happened to me. Thanks for the post.

Ketotifen is over the counter, right? Or do I need to get some for AR-R ?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by rsjrv99 View Post
    Sounds exactly like what happened to me. Thanks for the post.

Ketotifen is over the counter, right? Or do I need to get some for AR-R?
    it's not otc in the states if that's where you are

yea that's what I thought, i'll grab some off AR-R . Thanks for the help

Thread Information