Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Creatine FAQ

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru

Creatine FAQ by IM708

This will answer all the questions regarding creatine. If you have a viable coherent question that hasn't been asked/answered I will add it to my FAQ. Please feel free to distribute this around the web, just give me credit for my work.

What is creatine?
    Creatine is an organic acid that is used as the initial energy source for muscles. It provides explosive energy that is the primary fuel while weightlifting and during other activities that require short bursts of energy.

Why supplement with creatine?
    When you supplement with creatine basically you are adding extra fuel into the tank. You will be able to get a few extra reps in with exercises which will in turn put more stress on the muscle fibers and ultimately build muscle faster.

What does creatine do for you physiologically?
    The only thing creatine does is it allows for you to have a prolonged power output (aka more reps). There are NO magic abilities when it comes to creatine. So that means no pumps, no increase in energy levels, no immediate increases in strength, doesn't directly increase muscle mass, you won't be able to fly or lift a car over your head, etc. If you think you are achieving any of those feats listed then either you have a gimmicky creatine matrix that has other compounds like stimulants packed inside of it or it's all in your head.

Does our body already make creatine?
    Of course, on a daily basis we naturally produce about 3g.

What creatine should I buy? Which one is the best?
    Well it isn't a trivial task but supplement companies love to pump out garbage on the market and all claims to be the best which can make it difficult for consumers to make a decision. I as many other members would recommend a tub Micronized Creatine Monohydrate. Most economical and smartest choice, no need for precursors, sugars, vitamins, etc.

Is creatine similar to steroids?
    No, not at all. Ignorant morons like to use this to their defense as to why they are against its use even though it's blatantly false. Some so called 'experts' who think that they know it all will compare creatine to steroids , he's the same guy who thinks to build big biceps takes doing tons of bicep curls and/or does stability training.

Does creatines effectiveness diminish over time?
    Not a chance, this is somewhat intertwined with the argument that creatine is similar to steroids. As I said before it isn't similar to steroids in any way. Creatines effect on the body never changes, your body doesn't adapt to creatine the same way as your body does with certain steroids. You would be dead, life in animals/mammals/etc would be nonexistent without creatine, why adapt to something your body requires to keep functioning.

How should I take it?
    Take it every day, on days where you workout take it post workout either mix it in with your protein shake or put a serving size in your mouth (usually 2-5g) and wash it down with your shake. On non workout days take in the morning when your body is in a hypersensitive state. You technically don't need to go off creatine. Your body doesn't adapt to its effects like steroids or other chemicals.

Any benefits of taking with a simple sugar?
    The concept is that you spike your insulin with a simple sugar like dextrose, maltodextrin, etc; it makes for a shuttling effect for the creatine. If there is a benefit it isn't significant enough to make a difference. This doesn't hold true for supplemental insulin. The only people I would suggest to take with a simple sugar like that is if they are an athlete who needs as much recovery as possible. Other than that it is a waste, after creatine is loaded all you are doing is maintaining your creatine stores. You don't need much creatine to maintain those levels and the body is very efficient when it comes to recycling what it already has.

What do you think of protein-creatine matrix's out on the market?
    Well if you manage to find a matrix that has a high quality whey or casein protein and is mixed with micronized creatine then I'm all for it. Chances of finding that though are next to 0%. Buy a separate tub of creatine and whey, get exactly what you want and is usually cheaper taking that route.

What about taking creatine in pill form?
    Sure, if you want to. But my biggest complaints about them would be the fact that you don't find them as micronized creatine monohydrate, the quantity you get per bottle lasts maybe a month or two in comparison with a jug which can last you a year, the price is significantly higher per gram than in bulk powder form. A jug you can get for $30 can last you a year or even longer! So if I was to make a recommendation, go with a bulk powder version of it.

Creatine Monohydrate (CM) vs. Creatine Ethyl Ester (CEE):
    CEE is a newer creatine on the market, it is supposedly better than CM since it absorbs better. Well it does absorb better into the bloodstream but the fatal flaw with CEE is that it doesn't assimilate into the muscles any better, it's actually worse than CM. You will reap greater benefits from CM vs. CEE. Another piece of information about CEE is that it is actually a very unstable form of creatine. CEE will rapidly break down in creatinine (a product produced by the breakdown of intramuscular creatine phosphate) when it come into contact with stomach acid. Meaning that it will have a diminished effect towards performance vs CM and a significant chunk of what you ingested will be immediately excreted by the body via kidneys.

Creatine Monohydrate (CM) vs Kre-alkalyn:
    Kre-alkalyn is marketed as a pH stable version of creatine monohydrate. The logic behind this is that none of it will convert to creatinine when ingested and while passing through the stomach and intestines, and will only convert after its being used up as a fuel source in the form of creatine phosphate. Well here's the problem with that claim, plain old creatine monohydrate is already 99% stable in stomach acid! Also the only studies that exist that show that it is a worth while product are ones marketed by the company, effectively making those null and void since they aren't an accredited institution for creating plausible data and aren't peer reviewed studies.

I heard that they had a breakthrough and found that Creatine Phosphoglucophagiotydalate is the greatest/best creatine out on the market, what do you guys think?
    First off that's not an actual form of creatine, there are many different forms I'm sure we will see many more in the future. None of these other forms have been through the same rigorous testing/studying as CM and haven’t been clinically proven to be any better. The supplement market is not regulated by the FDA which makes for a playground for companies to make any claim(s) they want.

What happens when I come off of creatine?
    Nothing! What do you think will happen? Lose all your strength and muscle gains as some retards on websites will report?...NO! Over a period of a couple weeks you will lose several pounds on the scale which is solely water weight due to the depletion of excess intramuscular creatine. It may appear that you loss muscle mass simply due to the fact you lost a bunch of bloat weight, but it's all in your head. No loss of strength or muscle mass, you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Do I need to load creatine?
    NO! Taking 20 grams per day is not only incredibly wasteful but adds unnecessary stress to your kidneys. Go with your serving (normally 5g) of creatine per day and you are set to go. The one downside is it will take longer for your muscles to become fully loaded with creatine but since you will stay on creatine for months at a time you will hit 100% saturation no matter which route you choose. I put a basic chart at the bottom of this post to show my thought process on why it isn't needed.

Do I need to cycle creatine?
    NO! Why do people feel the need to have to cycle everything they get? Do you cycle eating some days and not eating other days? Are you going to start cycling your one a day vitamins as well? Like I stated creatines effect on the body never changes so no need to cycle its use. Now if you want the bloat to come off then I'm all game for that but doing it because you think you'll get miraculous gains from going off of it for a month then you are wasting your time.

Mixing Caffeine and Creatine?
    Supposedly mixing creatine and caffeine such as taking it with your morning coffee is a poor combination since caffeine counteracts the effects of creatine. The issue with this topic is that it is poorly studied and hasn't been shown to have any conclusive evidence supporting the claim.

Side effects?
    None that have been clinically shown but it has been reported where people can get a stomach ache, low leg pain, and most commonly bloating (edema). Supposedly it can cause renal failure but like steroids I'm sure the issue is blown way out of proportion and isn't backed by any data. As a precautionary measure though people who do have kidney disease shouldn't supplement with creatine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creatine FAQ-creatine-1.jpg   Creatine FAQ-creatine-2.jpg   Creatine FAQ-creatine-4.png  
    Last edited by IM708; 06-16-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Literal and blakegains like this.

Redirect all creatine Q's to this thread unless it's a truely unique q.

If I mod sees this can they please make this a sticky for the sake of my own sanity.

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Great Thread.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    good job iron

but you forgot pics and diagrams

gotta spice it up

lol

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    good job iron

but you forgot pics and diagrams

gotta spice it up

lol
    That would take forever to find the journal studies and graphs/diagrams. Glad you liked.

RATTLEHEAD is offline Member
    haha thank you iron.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    very nice bro....
    Lets get this stickied asap!

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    ironmaiden for president!

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Great thread.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    haha congrats on sticky, "got creatine"-title

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    haha congrats on sticky, "got creatine"-title
    got creatine? not a chance

thebigfella is offline Associate Member
    great post, big help bro

DEE151 is offline Productive Member
    Great Post

Tjohn6231 is offline Associate Member
    I was about to post a creatine question, but I saw this sticky thread. It answered everything that I needed to know. Awesome info.

CrazyHorse13 is offline Associate Member
    You really helped me.....I have a question I just left a GNC store and the person tried really hard to convience me that (Amplified Creatine 189)...is the creatine of the future....lol....it is a tablet form...PEG-Creatine System...could you tell me anything about this

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse13 View Post
    You really helped me.....I have a question I just left a GNC store and the person tried really hard to convience me that (Amplified Creatine 189)...is the creatine of the future....lol....it is a tablet form...PEG-Creatine System...could you tell me anything about this
    I use to sell that shit to people. Don't even bother with it. 60 fvcking servings for $40. Its called creatine hcl and is another one of the vast creatines that claim to be the best one on the market, the breakthrough product.

Hunt88 is offline New Member
    if u take it yourself any chance u could tell me then name of the 1 u actually use? or if u dont then one you could recommend

CJG560 is offline Junior Member
    Very informative post iron, you breifly reference it, but do you know if any other studies have been done concerning whether creatine/caffeine interfere with one another?

On non-workout days when I take my creatine dose in the morning I usually closely (30min) follow it with caffeine to help get the day rolling. Just to be safe do you think I should space them out more than my typical 30 min?

^^^ Like I said it is a poorly studied subject. There isn't much data out there to suggest either way. What you are doing right now should suffice. If you would like to experiment be my guest, see if your endurance is up a little more when you take them an hour or two hours apart.

FYI: Your avi is horrendous

CJG560 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the reply and since this FAQ was so helpful I will change my avatar to ease the burden on your eyes

ArmedHammerd is offline Associate Member
    nice post im also tired of all the bullshit people say that all creatine does is make ur muscles look bigger then when u go off it u get fat
    blakegains likes this.

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    BUMP!

You should add in another question...

"What happens when I come off of creatine?"

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Awesome info about the uselessness of loading. I would have wasted alot of creatine (and in turn, $$$) if I hadn't read this!

PS - Great name, Iron Maiden rules!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuntry1984 View Post
    BUMP!

Good idea, sorry for the late reply. lol

I'll ad that

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Awesome info about the uselessness of loading. I would have wasted alot of creatine (and in turn, $$$) if I hadn't read this!

PS - Great name, Iron Maiden rules!
    thanks, good man

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuntry1984 View Post
    BUMP!

What happens when I come off of creatine?
    Nothing! What do you think will happen? Lose all your strength and muscle gains as some retards on websites will report?...NO! Over a period of a couple weeks you will lose several pounds on the scale which is solely water weight due to the depletion of excess intra musclular creatine. It may appear that you loss muscle mass simply due to the fact you lost a bunch of bloat weight, but it's all in your head. No loss of strength or muscle mass, you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Added, thanks for the suggestion, I'm surprised I missed that one. That one in particular always drove me nuts.

danielli is offline Associate Member
    Straight forward, no BS, and concise. Glad I found this, thanks for info.

danielli is offline Associate Member
    Hey Guys, I have a question, hopefully you can help clarify.

Any benefits of taking with a simple sugar?
    The concept is that you spike your insulin with a simple sugar like dextrose, maltodextrin, etc; it makes for a shuttling effect for the creatine. If there is a benefit it isn't significant enough to make a difference. This doesn't hold true for supplemental insulin. The only people I would suggest to take with a simple sugar like that is if they are an athlete who needs as much recovery as possible. Other than that it is a waste, after creatine is loaded all you are doing is maintaining your creatine stores. You don't need much creatine to maintain those levels and the body is very efficient when it comes to recycling what it already has.

Here you say taking creatine with a simple sugar doesn't yeild a significant benefit, but does that also hold true if I'm on a low carb diet? In this case, woudl it make more sense to use Kre-Alkalyn creatine?

No kre-alkalyn is a nothing special creatine formula. Same monohydrate you find in standard powders.

R69
    R69 is offline Associate Member
    It is enough a 5 gram/day creatine intake for a 90 kg male? Whater retention from creatine its held inside the muscles or i can get bloated and have a look with less definition?
    Last edited by R69; 03-19-2010 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R69 View Post
    It is enough a 5 gram/day creatine intake for a 90 kg male? Whater retention from creatine its held inside the muscles or i can get bloated and have a look with less definition?
    5g is enough creatine, the body is very good at recycling creatine. Man your syntax is aweful but ill answer that next part the best I can... There isn't too much you can do about the bloat from creatine, it's inevitable. Either drop your bodyfat or you'll have to cut off the creatine.

R69
    R69 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IM708 View Post
    5g is enough creatine, the body is very good at recycling creatine. Man your syntax is aweful but ill answer that next part the best I can... There isn't too much you can do about the bloat from creatine, it's inevitable. Either drop your bodyfat or you'll have to cut off the creatine.
    Thanks for the answers and excuse my bad english.

Graniteboy is offline Junior Member
    Yeah Man,great info....I just started taking creatine a few weeks back for the first time.And it seems this week i started getting a little extra each set,but i feel as if my stomach has been bloated more.Not sure its worth it for me....But i did get one those sugary mix's with three kinds of creatine.I think it's like 30 grams of sugar per serving.....Thanks for the post anwsered many qustions i had.....

D_iamond is offline Junior Member
    is there any benifit to using creatine with test or would it just be a waste??

I guess it depends on what you would consider a waste. Taking exogenous test won't increase intramuscular creatine levels, so taking creatine would still provide its benefits. But the gains from creatine will not be anywhere near close as you would from taking test. Both together should provide greater results, but it will be hard to distinguish how much resulted from taking creatine with test.

D_iamond is offline Junior Member
    thats kinda what i figured i wonder if the cramp ups would be lessened from the extra water in the body from test?

donberry427 is offline Associate Member
    how can you say creatine doesnt cause pumps? My muscle mass is obviously bigger than it was 2 1/2 weeks ago due to the added water etc... I honestly get sick pumps in every muscle i train. More than ever before (creatine). I call your bluff sir

how can you say creatine doesnt cause pumps?
    Explain to me how physiologically creatine directly causes greater pumps? When did creatine start acting like AAKG?
    My muscle mass is obviously bigger than it was 2 1/2 weeks ago due to the added water etc...
    REALLY? Adding bloat weight will increase the size of your arms? No fvckin way....
    I honestly get sick pumps in every muscle i train. More than ever before (creatine).
    So your going to make asinine assumptions that it is attributed to the creatine?
    I call your bluff sir
    And I think your a moron who uses the mindset that simply A + B = C.

donberry427 is offline Associate Member
    All im saying is if im hitting 2-3 extra reps per set than i usually could do, wouldnt that be followed by a bigger pump than i usually experience? ....Common sense to me bro

PS: thanks for calling names....Grow up

All im saying is if im hitting 2-3 extra reps per set than i usually could do, wouldnt that be followed by a bigger pump than i usually experience? ....Common sense to me bro
    Creatine still doesn't cause pumps though. If you look at it in that sense then yes you can possibly acheive greater pumps.

PS: thanks for calling names....Grow up
    Thanks mom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information